VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Alan

You have one of those rare 32-bit but VT-x enabled CPUs, so no 64-bit operating systems will run. There were problems with VT-x on early models of Mac Minis and Macbook Pros, if I remember correctly! There are several things to try but if they don't work you wll be out of luck. Firstly you need to be happy editing the VMX file inside the guest package. See this document http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1110.

A. Test 1

1. Follow manual to create a 32-bit version of the VMX file

2. Edit the VMX file and add:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

3. Boot guest using -legacy flag to force 32-bit mode.

B. Test 2

1. Setup as in Test 1

2. Edit "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/config" and add:

"hv.enableIfUnlocked = TRUE"

If that doesn't work there maybe one other solution that was used for Parallels, but I need to find the details. It does involve installing the reFit EFI boot manager.

Dave

1'st of all Donk - You Rule! ;)

2'nd i want to update that i managed to install Leopard 10.5.4 on Core i7 with the original image, but failed to upgrade to 10.5.7 (like many - i want to run the iphone sdk).

So, i used the pack with the experimental voodoo kernel + Vmawre workstation v 6.5.3 (excellent manual btw - has all the steps, and works too). and i am now running 10.5.7 + iphone sdk installed. no kernel panic yet.

Oh - for those who update OSX to a later version using the voodoo kernel, the first time it booted after installation it rebooted and then started normally - so don't panic.

For all of you out there having problems with the install - i read most of questions on this thread and i can tell you the answer to almost all questions is RTFM. if that fails - read through the thread.

Anyhow my setup in general:

Host OS: Windows 7.0 RTM

Vmware: Workstation v 6.5.3

Motherboard: Asus P6t deluxe (v1)

Processor: Core i7 920 with Virt-x enabled.

Memory: 6 Gig ram.

Guest OS:

Leopard 10.5.7 upgraded from 10.5.4 + voodoo kernel alpha3

Vmware tools installed.

Networking: Bridged (NAT not working on windows 7 - if you change after install might cause kernel panic). But i dont see other machines in the network (incl. host). internet connection works tho.

Audio: ? (didnt check, dont really care)

Keyboard: changed to ps2 (USB caused repeated kepressed sometimes. reverted to ps2)

Mouse: USB

Ram: 2048 mb (not sure, but i think non ^2 memory settings causes strange behavior)

Performance: surprisingly smooth.

Special setup not in the manual(but in this thread): Turned off power management, installed caffeine 1.0.4 (prevents kernel panic)

Other: IPhone SDK 3.0

Installed last night. XCode is working. no crashes, but haven't played with it at all yet.

noob question - i keep having to reboot my machine to change iso images mounted through vmware to the cd drive.

i tried ejecting in the guest and mounting a different image, or forcing the mount. disk only shows up after restart.

any way around this?

Thanks again!

Hi,

i experienced the following problem:

After following the manual I tried to install severel OS X releases (iATKOS i4, iDeneb 1.5.1 and 1.6 etc). Without the manual and knowledge I chose "other" as OS and the Installation worked, but no booting afterwards. This was with i4, with Deneb I always got Kernel Panic after booting from DVD (nearly immidiately).

After following the settings from the package, no booting is possible, even with i4.

Does I have to take an original DVD anyway or why its failing immidiatley after booting from DVD?

My Setting:

Thinkpad T61,

T7100 C2D,

VMware 6.5

greetings

Thank you Donk!!! My install was a success. I now have Leopard 9.5 running via VMware Server 2 on my Windows 7 RC machine. :D

I've been playing with the install and I noticed a few things:

1) I had to switch from NAT to Bridged to get internet access for the guest OS.

2) I failed miserably when I tried to install VMware tools. In VMware Infrastructure Web Access, I clicked the "Install VMware Tools..." link but I get an error saying "VMware Tools is not supported on this guest OS." I read section 4.1 of Donk's manual, but I don't know how to install the VMware Tools. Copy and paste between host and guest are not working for me.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how I would go about installing the VMware Tools? thanks.

Hi,

i experienced the following problem:

After following the manual I tried to install severel OS X releases (iATKOS i4, iDeneb 1.5.1 and 1.6 etc). Without the manual and knowledge I chose "other" as OS and the Installation worked, but no booting afterwards. This was with i4, with Deneb I always got Kernel Panic after booting from DVD (nearly immidiately).

After following the settings from the package, no booting is possible, even with i4.

Does I have to take an original DVD anyway or why its failing immidiatley after booting from DVD?

My Setting:

Thinkpad T61,

T7100 C2D,

VMware 6.5

greetings

As I mention in the manual this is for the off-the-shelf retail DVD only. There are too many other distros to test and many of them have all sorts of bit and pieces added that VMware, and I, cannot cater for. Is there a reason you cannot get a retail DVD?

Donk

I had to do a format of my Windows 7 machine as I got a virus so I reinstalled everything including the vmware 6.5.2 beta.

I followed the manual like before to create the virtual machine, patched the darwin.iso and edited the vmx, but now when I boot up with the Mac OS X Disc I have (10.5.8) I get a virtual cpu error and vmware shuts down.

I read this thread thoroughly and You mentioned you tested this with a retail Leopard disc so i got a torrent of a retail 10.5.1 and 10.5.6 but both are in dmg format which Windows nor Vmware recognizes. I tried using Magiciso and dmg2iso and other iso utitlities to convert and/or burn the dmg but I cannot get vmware to boot of this.

This has me scratching my head because I was able to get 10.5.8 installed with the same iso I have now before the reformat and reinstall and I am using the same exact laptop which has vxt and I double checked the BIOS and Virtualization is enabled (plus i can run 64bit hosts like Windows Vista x64).

I am completely baffled, I got some other patched ISOs for Mac OS X and they all do the same thing!

WHat can I be doing wrong? I know I should have backed up all my stuff incase of a situation like what happened but its fustrating because I got it installed before and nothing has really changed (Windows 7 RTM and Vmware workstation 6.5.2 / 7 beta)

Donk

I had to do a format of my Windows 7 machine as I got a virus so I reinstalled everything including the vmware 6.5.2 beta.

I followed the manual like before to create the virtual machine, patched the darwin.iso and edited the vmx, but now when I boot up with the Mac OS X Disc I have (10.5.8) I get a virtual cpu error and vmware shuts down.

I read this thread thoroughly and You mentioned you tested this with a retail Leopard disc so i got a torrent of a retail 10.5.1 and 10.5.6 but both are in dmg format which Windows nor Vmware recognizes. I tried using Magiciso and dmg2iso and other iso utitlities to convert and/or burn the dmg but I cannot get vmware to boot of this.

This has me scratching my head because I was able to get 10.5.8 installed with the same iso I have now before the reformat and reinstall and I am using the same exact laptop which has vxt and I double checked the BIOS and Virtualization is enabled (plus i can run 64bit hosts like Windows Vista x64).

I am completely baffled, I got some other patched ISOs for Mac OS X and they all do the same thing!

WHat can I be doing wrong? I know I should have backed up all my stuff incase of a situation like what happened but its fustrating because I got it installed before and nothing has really changed (Windows 7 RTM and Vmware workstation 6.5.2 / 7 beta)

Which versoin of VMware Workstation 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 7 beta 1 or 7 beta 2? If one of the betas did it download additional tools after you patched the darwin.iso?

I used your files and installed everything as you stated on my Mac (Blackbook running OS X 10.5.8, 2.4 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM) running VMware Version 2.0 (build 1163659), and although the boot process went unhindered, it freezes (not a kernel panic) at the aurora screen with the spinning beach ball and does not open up the installation menu. This is with a physical stock DVD.

I am running the latest Preveiw August Build Beta version 1885517 (Workstation 7 I guess)

I went ahead and reinstalled the latest build and applied the patch again and still the same thing. I am running Windows 7 RTM thats why i am running the latest Beta because NAT doesnt work in WorkStaton 6.5

I used your files and installed everything as you stated on my Mac (Blackbook running OS X 10.5.8, 2.4 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM) running VMware Version 2.0 (build 1163659), and although the boot process went unhindered, it freezes (not a kernel panic) at the aurora screen with the spinning beach ball and does not open up the installation menu. This is with a physical stock DVD.

is that a core duo or core 2 duo?

i had the same problem with the beach ball, and it was cured by using the experimental voodoo package. then again i am running a core i7 machine so its not unexpected to have to use that package.

As I mention in the manual this is for the off-the-shelf retail DVD only. There are too many other distros to test and many of them have all sorts of bit and pieces added that VMware, and I, cannot cater for. Is there a reason you cannot get a retail DVD?

No, the retail DVD is in .dmg format, so actually no idea how to change it to iso that VMware can use it. DVD-Drive does not work correctly, just sometimes, so I want to take out the option that this is the fault. Thats why I tried it with the various distros first, but I think there should be a difficulty when I can't boot at least one of the distros, and with the settings I wrote before ("other" OS) I was able to boot. The failure is the same at nearly all distros I tried, geving a Kernel Panic just a second after selecting to boot (apple-picture for a second, then kernel panic). On installung natively I also hat some problem on some piont on different PCs, but nearly all hat a probem an a certain point and another on another point, not just at the same time.

greetings

Convinced nothing can prossibly go wrong, I rashly updated VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 --> 6.5.3 without backing up my sweet-running VM OSX 10.5.8, now, as Murphy's Law dictates, on boot there is no sign of darwin, just "OS not found". :)

Is there any way to recuperate this VM or extract some files from it before scrappage? TIA

========

PS: @ x4N70pHyLL

check MagicISO to convert .DMG to .ISO

http://www.magiciso.com/FAQ/FAQ0011.htm

... this worked for me to install retail 10.5.6 by Donk's method, updated to 10.5.8 w/o problems

PS: @ x4N70pHyLL

check MagicISO to convert .DMG to .ISO

http://www.magiciso.com/FAQ/FAQ0011.htm

... this worked for me to install retail 10.5.6 by Donk's method, updated to 10.5.8 w/o problems

Thx, it says "CD-Image not found or can not be read" :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT: I converted it, as expected, kernel panic just after choosing to boot from the image... Now I'm quite frustrated :-(

Caffeine has been working for me so far... none of those odd hangs. Great recommendation.

Also, I changed the keyboard.vusb.enable to "FALSE" and no intermittent sticky key repeats since then.

Followed the instructions to modify the Boot.plist for a larger screen - worked as written.

Awesome job, Donk!

RJ

i changed the keyboard.vusb.enable to "FALSE", but the key repeating still happens ...

what should i do then?

Ok, some more information:

I attached screenshots to explain my problem more detailed:

I tried some distros again, often theres a panic after failing ps2 drivers. Sometimes theres a cpu reset before this, just before entering the "second" or "other" console (looks different from the first lines). One time I reached the setup from iDeneb 1.6 after a short time (on native installs it takes much morge time) but had no mouse. Exactly the same settings on next try resulted in kernel panic again.

On "orinigal" leopard, it just restarts after entering the boot parameters (I catched such situation/log just before crashing on another distro, also attached).

greetings

post-160020-1251446271_thumb.png

post-160020-1251446276_thumb.png

post-160020-1251446280_thumb.png

post-160020-1251446286_thumb.png

post-160020-1251446290_thumb.png

I tried some distros again, often theres a panic after failing ps2 drivers. Sometimes theres a cpu reset before this, just before entering the "second" or "other" console (looks different from the first lines). One time I reached the setup from iDeneb 1.6 after a short time (on native installs it takes much morge time) but had no mouse.

I had exactly the same problem with the mouse not moving and kernel panics. The only way i worked out how to fix it was to pull the mouse out of the vm and wait for it to load and then go back in. I had to leave at a certain time to get it to work though and it was a fluke as i got it only to work twice but maybe try and see if it works for you

I had exactly the same problem with the mouse not moving and kernel panics. The only way i worked out how to fix it was to pull the mouse out of the vm and wait for it to load and then go back in. I had to leave at a certain time to get it to work though and it was a fluke as i got it only to work twice but maybe try and see if it works for you

Thx, but i have a Notebook and no chance to disconnect the devices, I tried removing the USB controller, it did not work, but there is no other controller like ps2 in the hardware list of the vm.

Thx, but i have a Notebook and no chance to disconnect the devices, I tried removing the USB controller, it did not work, but there is no other controller like ps2 in the hardware list of the vm.

RTFM - it is explained in there how to change back to PS2! Edit VMX file:

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

A plea to everyone, please check the manual first. Most of the issues being mentioned are documented there.

RTFM - it is explained in there how to change back to PS2! Edit VMX file:

A plea to everyone, please check the manual first. Most of the issues being mentioned are documented there.

I read the manual and I addet this to the configuration file. I'm just not shure where to add it, I added all the commands (smc etc) in one block...

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "OS X.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "OS X"
guestOS = "darwin"
nvram = "OS X.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

extendedConfigFile = "OS X.vmxf"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d ea 7a 2a 5b f5 29-5b 5a bc 38 57 4a 42 1e"
uuid.bios = "56 4d ea 7a 2a 5b f5 29-5b 5a bc 38 57 4a 42 1e"
ide0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "-1"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:4a:42:1e"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "1464484382"

ich7m.present = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
ide1:0.fileName = "E:\iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition - File 01 of 90 iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition.par2 yEnc (11)

\iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition.iso"

numvcpus = "1"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"
monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"

I read the manual and I addet this to the configuration file. I'm just not shure where to add it, I added all the commands (smc etc) in one block...

1. You are using iDeneb which I do not support!

2. You have set ich7m to false should be true

3. The two lines I mentioned are set to true you need to set them to false.

4. You need to change some lines as below:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

However, I cannot, and am not willing, to work on hacked versions like iDeneb as they completely confuse the situation. I don't know what kernal, kexts or whatever has been added.

i tried

and FALSE

but the keyborad repeating still happens,

any other solutions?

Nope - you need to get retail working. With the changes I suggested it may work

Sorry if i did not make myself clear. What i meant is to press ctrl + alt to remove the mouse from the vm, and then go back in with the mouse some time while ideneb is booting the installation.