VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

I've seen some posts regarding busratio=NNN boot options. Is this what you are referring to? I'm happy to try out various values (if you point me in the right direction).

The other possibility is that if it is bus ratio related to try and build something around Chameleon 2.

I've seen some posts regarding busratio=NNN boot options. Is this what you are referring to? I'm happy to try out various values (if you point me in the right direction).

That only works for Voodoo kernels, it isn't part of a vanilla installation. So would need to have a new kernel loaded via darwin.iso. Voodoo 2 alpha 3 is supposed to fix a lo of these bus ratio issues.

System Preferences seems to hang a lot for me. It is not always the same page and not always the same time. Nothing else seems to have problems.

Screensaver is set to never.

Harddrives, monitor, and computer are all set to never suspend.

Anyone else see this?

Apologies if this is a repeat.

Use Caffeine application to keep the VM active.

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and can test -- give me whatever :)

The basic process works (using Workstation 6.5.2 for GNU/Linux), but the VM is very unstable ("You need to restart your computer" messages during install, during VM operation, etc.).

EDIT: Tried with the software MMU. Much more reliable, but I got a "You need to restart" and VMware telling me the CPU died, right in the middle of the 10.5.1 - 10.5.7 update. Any theories as to why the VM is unstable, or any explanation as to why using a software MMU helps? The mouse is also extremely glitchy (I use a USB Logitech G9), full of sputters and sometimes when I move a window, the mouse stays locked onto the window, always moving it around.

Thanks for all your work :)

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and can test -- give me whatever :lol:

The basic process works (using Workstation 6.5.2 for GNU/Linux), but the VM is very unstable ("You need to restart your computer" messages during install, during VM operation, etc.).

EDIT: Tried with the software MMU. Much more reliable, but I got a "You need to restart" and VMware telling me the CPU died, right in the middle of the 10.5.1 - 10.5.7 update. Any theories as to why the VM is unstable, or any explanation as to why using a software MMU helps? The mouse is also extremely glitchy (I use a USB Logitech G9), full of sputters and sometimes when I move a window, the mouse stays locked onto the window, always moving it around.

Thanks for all your work ;)

I have put together a test version with the Voodoo 2 Alpha 3 kernel and it boots fine on an unsupported Intel P4 D processor. I need to write some instructions and then would be useful to have folks try it out. It may be a couple of days as busy with work.

As for your problem, I think using the kernel off the boot iso image I've done may help. I occasionally see this when going from my original 10.5.0 installation to 10.5.7. Not sure what it is, as I never see enough information to make a diagnosis. As for the mouse you could try the advice to revert to a virtual PS2 mouse as described near the end of my PDF.

I have put together a test version with the Voodoo 2 Alpha 3 kernel and it boots fine on an unsupported Intel P4 D processor. I need to write some instructions and then would be useful to have folks try it out. It may be a couple of days as busy with work.

Great, thanks much. If you could send your test version I can likely figure out how to use it and test it straight away :gun:

As for your problem, I think using the kernel off the boot iso image I've done may help. I occasionally see this when going from my original 10.5.0 installation to 10.5.7. Not sure what it is, as I never see enough information to make a diagnosis.

I can do it again and provide logs of some sort?

As for the mouse you could try the advice to revert to a virtual PS2 mouse as described near the end of my PDF.

Unfortunately, this just makes the mouse not work at all (should have mentioned that). You say a kext is already included that should make PS2 devices work (and this makes sense, as I disabled the virtual USB for my PS2 keyboard to reduce glitchiness) -- is there another kext that I should try that may be more fruitful?

EDIT: Offtopic, I see that Workstation 7 will be out soon (relatively) with 4-core guest SMP and OpenGL. Will have to see if I can get a 64-bit beta, hope they haven't made this process harder :)

EDIT: Offtopic, I see that Workstation 7 will be out soon (relatively) with 4-core guest SMP and OpenGL. Will have to see if I can get a 64-bit beta, hope they haven't made this process harder :)

It's the same! :gun:

Try a 10.5.6 retail install. It's amazingly stable for me using Workstation 6.5.2 on Windows. 10.5.7 upgrade succeeds but won't successfully boot after reboot. I wonder if some of your stability issues are related to your host being Linux. That's one difference.

I wonder if some of your stability issues are related to your host being Linux. That's one difference.

Possibly, but given the level of separation the VM has from the host (except for VT-X, which the CPU controls almost all of anyways), and Linux vs. Windows stability in general... ;P And VMware itself has been rock solid for me, it's just OSx86 in VMware that causes trouble.

Possibly, but given the level of separation the VM has from the host (except for VT-X, which the CPU controls almost all of anyways), and Linux vs. Windows stability in general... ;P And VMware itself has been rock solid for me, it's just OSx86 in VMware that causes trouble.

I do use Linux as well as Windows and Mac OS X, what is your host running on?

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:
  • VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post and the package is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2528947...04e75f6e8ebb871.

I can not view the manual can you help?

@Donk: Arch Linux

@compak: Try downloading the MediaFire package, the manual is a PDF inside.

So should I use should:

archlinux-2009.02-core-i686.iso

or

archlinux-2009.02-core-x86_64.iso

Anything else I need to know?

Why do you want to use my distro? :thumbsup_anim: Your choice of course.

Before you install, I highly recommend reading:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

And for install documentation:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Offici...x_Install_Guide

The i686 ISO is for Pentium Pro CPUs or equivalent and higher, and is 32-bit (will run on 64-bit). The x86_64 ISO is 64-bit, and is the one I used.

Why do you want to use my distro? :wacko: Your choice of course.

Before you install, I highly recommend reading:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

And for install documentation:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Offici...x_Install_Guide

The i686 ISO is for Pentium Pro CPUs or equivalent and higher, and is 32-bit (will run on 64-bit). The x86_64 ISO is 64-bit, and is the one I used.

Was trying to replicate some of the other issues you had, and wanted to be check your distro. I will probably also try Ubuntu, but my new test machine has no Linux installed on it yet, so happy to try out Arch Linux first.

Hi mate,

I'm getting the stuck on the spinning loading icon on the first screen. I am using:

VMware Workstation 6.5

Host - WinXP SP3

Host CPU - Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHZ

Vanilla Leopard

10.5.6 and 10.5

I've attached the vmx, log and -v output of the spinning loading icon as well.

Thanks in advance.

vmware.log.zip

OSX.vmx.zip

osx_verboseOutput.zip

Hi mate,

I'm getting the stuck on the spinning loading icon on the first screen. I am using:

VMware Workstation 6.5

Host - WinXP SP3

Host CPU - Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHZ

Vanilla Leopard

10.5.6 and 10.5

I've attached the vmx, log and -v output of the spinning loading icon as well.

Thanks in advance.

Seems to be stalling when reading the DVD. Couple of questions:

1. Have you enabled VT extensions in your BIOS?

2. Where is the install image coming from: DVD or ISO? ANd how is it mounted?

Seems to be stalling when reading the DVD. Couple of questions:

1. Have you enabled VT extensions in your BIOS?

2. Where is the install image coming from: DVD or ISO? ANd how is it mounted?

Yes VT extensions enabled.

Install image is an iso when i tried with 10.5 and new DVD from a Mac Pro for 10.5.6

ISO was mounted via VMware - should I use something like Daemon Tools instead?

Tried on different PC with same settings - Win7 64bit - E6600

If I change the disk type to SCSI the DVD installer boots but gives me "Mac OSX Cannot be installed on this computer"

I've attached the install log as well.

post-464379-1248951747_thumb.png

post-464379-1248951757_thumb.png

Yes VT extensions enabled.

Install image is an iso when i tried with 10.5 and new DVD from a Mac Pro for 10.5.6

ISO was mounted via VMware - should I use something like Daemon Tools instead?

Tried on different PC with same settings - Win7 64bit - E6600

If I change the disk type to SCSI the DVD installer boots but gives me "Mac OSX Cannot be installed on this computer"

I've attached the install log as well.

OK don't use the one from you Mac Pro as it is tied to the hardware. A retail DVD or ISO is needed. So is the 10.5 ISO a retail copy?

Thank you for your highly appeciated work.

I could smoothly install Vanilla (retail DVD) Leopard 10.5 on VMware workstation 6.5.2, in both 32 and 64 bit flavours. Also, I could update to 10.5.7 through official Apple download service (I also updated all the other apps). No problems so far (sound is acceptable via Airfoil method), except minor annoyances after installing VMware tools: cut and paste, from and to host machine (Win XP Pro 32 bit) does not work. Any suggestion about that? My CPU is a Q6600, chipset is a 975X (on ASUS P5WDG2 WS PRO mobo with ICH7R).

Thanks again :( ,

Daniele

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:
  • VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post and the package is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2528947...04e75f6e8ebb871.

Experimental Package for Core 2 Quad and Core i7

Various issues have been raised with these processors. I have put together an experimental update to the package which uses the Voodoo 2 alpha 3 kernel. If you are having issues then please try the changes. If you are not experiencing any problems do not use this package until such time as it is rolled into the main one. If you have a non-Core processor but that is VT-x enabled such as P4D, then this may also be useful to you.

If you do try it then read the manual and the update PDFs thoroughly before starting.

It can be downloaded from http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fe9ac3e...621d66e282a0ee8

Updated to include seatbelt.kext to allow DMG mounting.

manual.pdf

voodoo_test.pdf

Thanks for creating these Donk. What is the main difference between this and the old version? Besides not having a disk image. I see you have the Voodoo mach kernel in there. I don't remember seeing that before. Is that actually used and what for? I thought the vanilla kernel works OK?

Do you get the old "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" error in your VM's? I haven't been able to fix that for a long time and it's breaking certain things. I was able to fix that on my Hackintosh simply by added a fake ethernet port but that doesn't seem to work in these VMware machines.

Thanks for creating these Donk. What is the main difference between this and the old version? Besides not having a disk image. I see you have the Voodoo mach kernel in there. I don't remember seeing that before. Is that actually used and what for? I thought the vanilla kernel works OK?

Do you get the old "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" error in your VM's? I haven't been able to fix that for a long time and it's breaking certain things. I was able to fix that on my Hackintosh simply by added a fake ethernet port but that doesn't seem to work in these VMware machines.

The experimental package is to fix some odd issues with Core i& and Core 2 Quad CPUs. Seems only a different kernel can solve the problem for now. The original package should be used by everyone else unless they have the problem, and that only uses vanilla kernel from the installation.