VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

i just wanted to report my success with a core i7 hackintosh (host os 10.5.7) running vmware fusion 2.0.4. i had to use the voodoo_test package, though i could not boot the voodoo kernel with the string given - it would KP right away when booting the installer disk. however, just booting the installer (10.5.1 retail disc) when using the darwin.iso from the voodoo_test package did work, and then i successfully upgraded to 10.5.6.

my understanding is that something in the kernel in 10.5.7 and .8 is not compatible with vmware... is that right?

anyway thanks for this very well documented solution. in the end the application i wanted to run probably needs accelerated graphics to be fully functional, but even without that its good to know how to get osx going on vmware.

There does indeed seem to be a problem with Core i7, which is I believe an issue VMware is aware of and has mentioned on their site.

1. You are using iDeneb which I do not support!

2. You have set ich7m to false should be true

3. The two lines I mentioned are set to true you need to set them to false.

4. You need to change some lines as below:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

However, I cannot, and am not willing, to work on hacked versions like iDeneb as they completely confuse the situation. I don't know what kernal, kexts or whatever has been added.

Ok, many thanks, but in the manual and before is stated to set mouse and keyboard to true, or I misunderstood the manual...

Just trying to get the sound to work now... As i read you integrated the sounddriver in the package but there is no sound device installed.

noob question - i keep having to reboot my machine to change iso images mounted through vmware to the cd drive.

i tried ejecting in the guest and mounting a different image, or forcing the mount. disk only shows up after restart.

any way around this?

Thanks again!

Not seen that problem but maybe related to Windows 7 as Workstation 6.5 has a few issues with it as a host; e.g. no NAT networking.

is that a core duo or core 2 duo?

i had the same problem with the beach ball, and it was cured by using the experimental voodoo package. then again i am running a core i7 machine so its not unexpected to have to use that package.

I need more information. There is a post in the thread which tells you what to post e.g. lo and vmx files.

Convinced nothing can prossibly go wrong, I rashly updated VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 --> 6.5.3 without backing up my sweet-running VM OSX 10.5.8, now, as Murphy's Law dictates, on boot there is no sign of darwin, just "OS not found". :D

Is there any way to recuperate this VM or extract some files from it before scrappage? TIA

========

PS: @ x4N70pHyLL

check MagicISO to convert .DMG to .ISO

http://www.magiciso.com/FAQ/FAQ0011.htm

... this worked for me to install retail 10.5.6 by Donk's method, updated to 10.5.8 w/o problems

After any update to VMware products you will need to re-install the patch.

Section 4.1 of Donk's manual states "The darwin.iso supplied has the Fusion 2.0.5 tools and can be used to install to the guest after Mac OS X has been installed."

How do I install the Fusion 2.0.5 tools?

Use VMware to mount the dawin.iso, then in the guest run the installer from the mounted CD image. Do NOT use the VMware menu "Install VMware Tools" as it won't work.

Donk

Perhaps it is because I am using Ideneb or other hacked DVD iso images that I am having problems because now I get a voodoo kernel panic when booting the DVD

You say you only support retail DVD. However how do we boot these in Vmware? I have gotten .dmg and .cdr images of the Retail untouched Leopard and Vmware refuses to boot these. How did you get the retail Leopard to boot in Vmware because the only Images I can get vmware to boot successfully are the patched ISO like ideneb and iatkos.

I am not sure why I have so much trouble now and before I successfully booted and installed from one of the patched DVDs before. Very fustrating

Thanks for all your help with this thread and coming up with this patch Donk! Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

The error I get in vmware is attached as a png if it will help

I am running Windows 7 RTM, Latest Vmware Technical Preview

post-30264-1251476158_thumb.png

Donk

Perhaps it is because I am using Ideneb or other hacked DVD iso images that I am having problems because now I get a voodoo kernel panic when booting the DVD

You say you only support retail DVD. However how do we boot these in Vmware? I have gotten .dmg and .cdr images of the Retail untouched Leopard and Vmware refuses to boot these. How did you get the retail Leopard to boot in Vmware because the only Images I can get vmware to boot successfully are the patched ISO like ideneb and iatkos.

I am not sure why I have so much trouble now and before I successfully booted and installed from one of the patched DVDs before. Very fustrating

Thanks for all your help with this thread and coming up with this patch Donk! Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

The error I get in vmware is attached as a png if it will help

I am running Windows 7 RTM, Latest Vmware Technical Preview

post-30264-1251476158_thumb.png

The KP is conflict between darwin.iso and whatever PS2 controller is on iDeneb. You need to convert any retail DMG or CDR to ISO format. Also with the new preview code if VMware downloads any tools you will need to re-run the setup script as the signatures will be wrong.

Also what CPU do you have?

Thanks for the help Donk. Here are my results.

A. Test 1

1. Follow manual to create a 32-bit version of the VMX file

2. Edit the VMX file and add:

3. Boot guest using -legacy flag to force 32-bit mode.

I tried this, except for the -legacy flag since i can't even get to that part. i got the first screen then the second.

B. Test 2

1. Setup as in Test 1

2. Edit "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/config" and add:

"hv.enableIfUnlocked = TRUE"

did this too. just gives the same warning.

If that doesn't work there maybe one other solution that was used for Parallels, but I need to find the details. It does involve installing the reFit EFI boot manager.

Ok. are there instructions somewhere to get plain OSX client running on Parallels?

post-415224-1251476925_thumb.png

post-415224-1251476931_thumb.png

Donk

I have a P8700 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo

And When I convert .cdr or .dmg to iso using UltraISo or MagicIso or dmg2iso the resultant iso doesnt work with vmware and is not bootable

What is your method for converting .dmg to iso? I have a retail 10.5.1 .dmg file, if you can help me with this so I can get an iso that can boot in vmware

And i disabled vmware from updating vmware tools without my permission although I went ahead and copied the original darwin.iso and ran the patch again just to make sure vmware hadnt modified it.

Use VMware to mount the dawin.iso, then in the guest run the installer from the mounted CD image. Do NOT use the VMware menu "Install VMware Tools" as it won't work.

Donk,

Thank you for all of your hard work and for assisting me. Please excuse me for being such a VMware noob. I mounted the darwin iso, and I think I successfully installed the VMware Tools in the guest. I had to restart the guest and now there's a shortcut on my Leopard Desktop that says "VMware Shared Folders." In section 4.1 of your manual you state that one of the features of the VMware Tools you included in the package supports "copy & paste between host and guest." However, I still cannot copy and paste between the host and guest. I guess I should also mention that I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.8 before installing the VMware Tools. Any ideas?

Ok. are there instructions somewhere to get plain OSX client running on Parallels?

Parallels also requires VT-x which is what I am guessing is the issue here. I don't have any instructions for running OS X desktop verison on Parallels.

Donk

I have a P8700 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo

And When I convert .cdr or .dmg to iso using UltraISo or MagicIso or dmg2iso the resultant iso doesnt work with vmware and is not bootable

What is your method for converting .dmg to iso? I have a retail 10.5.1 .dmg file, if you can help me with this so I can get an iso that can boot in vmware

And i disabled vmware from updating vmware tools without my permission although I went ahead and copied the original darwin.iso and ran the patch again just to make sure vmware hadnt modified it.

Only reliable way I know is on a Mac, which is how I did mine, which I originally created from the DVD media. Have a look at TransMac that may do it.

Donk,

Thank you for all of your hard work and for assisting me. Please excuse me for being such a VMware noob. I mounted the darwin iso, and I think I successfully installed the VMware Tools in the guest. I had to restart the guest and now there's a shortcut on my Leopard Desktop that says "VMware Shared Folders." In section 4.1 of your manual you state that one of the features of the VMware Tools you included in the package supports "copy & paste between host and guest." However, I still cannot copy and paste between the host and guest. I guess I should also mention that I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.8 before installing the VMware Tools. Any ideas?

Copy and paste what? Text?

I am unable to copy and paste both text or files between host and guest.

Text always works for me, so I don't konw unless you have set Guest Isolation options to disable copy and paste. Files cannot be copied by this method, you need to setup shared folders or use a network share. The manual explains a fix you need to apply to get VMware Shared Folders to work.

Text always works for me, so I don't konw unless you have set Guest Isolation options to disable copy and paste. Files cannot be copied by this method, you need to setup shared folders or use a network share. The manual explains a fix you need to apply to get VMware Shared Folders to work.

Where would the Guest Isolation options to enable copy/paste be set? Is that set in the VMX file?

I am running VMware Server 2 and from what I read briefly somewhere on Google, VMware Server does not support Shared Folders. I know I'm out of luck with copying files between Host and Guest, but not having copy/paste of text is kind of a downer.

Where would the Guest Isolation options to enable copy/paste be set? Is that set in the VMX file?

I am running VMware Server 2 and from what I read briefly somewhere on Google, VMware Server does not support Shared Folders. I know I'm out of luck with copying files between Host and Guest, but not having copy/paste of text is kind of a downer.

VMX file look for isolation in the name of the setting. You can still copy files by using network shares. Just view the guest as a real machine. Google for how to setup between Windows and Mac OS X.

VMX file look for isolation in the name of the setting. You can still copy files by using network shares. Just view the guest as a real machine. Google for how to setup between Windows and Mac OS X.

I looked in the VMX file and did not find that setting. Here is my VMX file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "Mac OS X Leopard.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OS X Leopard"
extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Leopard.vmxf"

memsize = "2048"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Leopard-000002.vmdk"
ide0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "E:"
ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
ide1:0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.features = "1"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.networkName = "Bridged"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
guestOS = "darwin-64"
uuid.location = "56 4d e4 23 47 1b db 9c-32 69 76 19 cb a3 54 cb"
uuid.bios = "56 4d e4 23 47 1b db 9c-32 69 76 19 cb a3 54 cb"
vc.uuid = "52 01 d7 e4 48 5d e7 dd-d0 71 4b 15 20 42 9b eb"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:a3:54:cb"
ide0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-878488373"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"

sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "36"

On another note, I searched Google as you advised and now I have a network share between the host and guest! ;)

Donk

The final version of Vmware 6.5.3 has been released and I uninstalled the beta and I am now running the final retail of Vmware 6.5.3. I copied darwin.iso to the vmware directory, patched it, converted a retail Mac OS X disc to an iso file, and I keep on getting a CPU shutdown disabled vmware error and then the screen below. Right before the DVD boots the retail DVD it gives an embios error. Her is my vmx file. Detailed below, please help, I have worked on this for days and I am getting no where!

post-30264-1251525720_thumb.png

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

maxvcpus = "4"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "1024"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "STS-MacOSX.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

displayName = "STS-MacOSX"

guestOS = "darwin-64"

nvram = "STS-MacOSX.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

extendedConfigFile = "STS-MacOSX.vmxf"

ide1:0.fileName = "I:"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:ab:2a:46"

uuid.location = "56 4d b0 45 52 0d 19 56-e1 cb 6c ac ad ab 2a 46"

uuid.bios = "56 4d b0 45 52 0d 19 56-e1 cb 6c ac ad ab 2a 46"

cleanShutdown = "TRUE"

replay.supported = "TRUE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "27197440"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-1381291450"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

replay.filename = ""

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

I looked in the VMX file and did not find that setting. Here is my VMX file:

On another note, I searched Google as you advised and now I have a network share between the host and guest! ;)

Not sure now about what to do on the text copy and paste. It could be a mis-match on the internal API used by VMware to pass information between host <-> guest. Glad you got the netwrok share working.

Donk

The final version of Vmware 6.5.3 has been released and I uninstalled the beta and I am now running the final retail of Vmware 6.5.3. I copied darwin.iso to the vmware directory, patched it, converted a retail Mac OS X disc to an iso file, and I keep on getting a CPU shutdown disabled vmware error and then the screen below. Right before the DVD boots the retail DVD it gives an embios error. Her is my vmx file. Detailed below, please help, I have worked on this for days and I am getting no where!

OK so we have a few things I need to mention.

1. 6.5.3 is not the same as the Tech Preview which is Workstation 7. So you are downgrading your version back to 6.5. Not a problem but just wanted to it point out.

2. My suggested VMX settings as mentioned in the Voodoo supplement would be:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

3. Are you running the Voodoo kernel version of my stuff? If not needed you could also revert to the original version.

Donk,

Sorry for long post.

I have been following your nice work on and off for some time. I work on a MacPro and installed PCWIZ under Vista in VM Workstation 6.5 last year(just out of interest). Also installed Rectalogic's solution under Fusion. PCWIZ under Vista is very slow. But Leopard under Fusion (from original retail disk) is also kind of sluggish. installed Leopard Server from original disk in Fusion, this is faster.

For my work I have to use Solidworks and Autocad Inventor. Installed this in Vista Business 64 bit and with 16GB RAM both work nicely on a MacPro (early 2008). This only works fast enough if you use the MacPro as a MS windows machine, in Fusion both Cad programs are too slow if you have files with large assemblies, like 600 parts, even if you allocate 8GB RAM to the virtual machine. Since I use a MacPro and Apple allows you to install Leopard Server on a Mac computer in Fusion, I spent the US$ 500 to buy Leopard Server and the US$ 189 to buy VM Workstation 6.5, thinking that I could install Leopard Server in Vista as virtual machine in VMware Workstation. Because I have to use my Mac almost all day in Vista for the Cad software, I like to have access to Leopard as a virtual machine in Vista (or Win 7 RC for that matter). Because Vmware blocks this, I assume that your last method, for which you wrote the nice .pdf manual and made the vmware-darwin-200.zip file, will work.

Question: On this MacPro do I need all this, or is there an easier way? All my software is legal and paid for, and I am a bit disappointed that Apple does not allow me to run Leopard (or Leopard Server) in Vista under Vmware Workstation on this MacPro.

Thank you so much for your opinion and advice, Polski

Question: On this MacPro do I need all this, or is there an easier way? All my software is legal and paid for, and I am a bit disappointed that Apple does not allow me to run Leopard (or Leopard Server) in Vista under Vmware Workstation on this MacPro.

Thank you so much for your opinion and advice, Polski

Yes you will have to do this hack for it to work. Actually this is one of the reasons I started it in the first place. Workstation in Bootcamp XP running Leopard. It would also not in theory be breaking the EULA to run the non-server version as it is on Apple hardware.

Greetings Donk,

Thank you for this magnificient piece of work!

Is there any advantage in running this under WS 7 Tech Preview, instead of version 6.5.3 ?

Any caveats for WS 7 ?

TIA

Only advantage is screen resize works, wihtout the Zenith drivers releaased in this forum. One area to look out for are downloading the VMware tools. If they are downloaded then re-run the patcher.