VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

I recreated the machine again, I figured one of the vmx edits must have caused it because when I boot the leaopard cd it got stuck int he corner (and I know the mouse was working while installing or I would not have been able to install Leopard lol) and sure enough it is working now. I had started editing my vmx file until I realized I was getting the cpu error because I did not have the darwin.iso loaded in the cd-drive for the virtual machine!

Thanks for all your help dude, your fix is killer1 Mac OS within WIndows 7 is just awesome as {censored}!

One thing, I did load the vmware tools through vmware workstation 7 but when I click on the install vmware tools icon within Mac OS nothing happens, do I have to install it manually or something?

Also I know I can set my resolution within Mac OS but is there a way to have it autoresize like other guest machines do in Vmware?

Thanks for all your help so far Donk1

WKS 7 does not mount the tools for Darwin when using the menu. You will need to manually mount the iso image from my package and then install. The plus point is resize works in the beta!

Hi Donk, thank you for the great instructions :) . I installed 10.5.4 retail in vmware 6.5.2 on Windows 7 64bit, on i7 920 without problems. No sound and no info under hardware overview as expected.

I then switched to voodoo kernel, removed cpumanagement and upgraded to 10.5.8. Worked great as well. I am now using AnV's latest 9.8 kernel and his latest AppleSMBios. This reports 0Hz for my CPU frequency although the About this Mac shows the correct CPU and freq.

see image:

also using the modded vmware tools driver and with the vmware graphic driver from the other post I can now resize the guest, cool!

It's working very smoothly most of the time. Once in a while however it's lagging and I can't move the mouse for a few seconds (up to 5sec). The CPU% on the host jumps up and then recovers and everything is normal again.

any idea what this may be?

thank you again!

Hi Donk, thank you for the great instructions :thumbsup_anim: . I installed 10.5.4 retail in vmware 6.5.2 on Windows 7 64bit without problems. No sound and no info under hardware overview as expected.

I then switched to voodoo kernel, removed cpumanagement and upgraded to 10.5.8. Worked great as well. I am now using AnV's latest 9.8 kernel and his latest AppleSMBios. This reports 0Hz for my CPU frequency although the About this Mac shows the correct CPU and freq.

see image:

also using the modded vmware tools driver and with the vmware graphic driver from the other post I can now resize the guest, cool!

It's working very smoothly most of the time. Once in a while however it's lagging and I can't move the mouse for a few seconds (up to 5sec). The CPU% on the host jumps up and then recovers and everything is normal again.

any idea what this may be?

thank you again!

Not really experienced that and not used Andy's kernel yet. You would have o monitor the processes to see if you can see what is using the CPU. All CPU power managemnt is disabled when booting as this is the only relaible way VMware runs Darwin based operating systems.

I boot using the darwin.iso then connected the leopard ISO image. It shows:

Loading Darwin/x86

Invalid front side bus frequency 66000000Hz

Disabling the CPU ...

And VMware returns an error stating processor being disabled. Returns the same error even with "busratio=20" flag.

Make sure the guestos is set to 'darwin' or 'darwin64' in your vmx file.
This Worked for me and got me a little further but still crashing out seconds later.

I am running WinXPSP3-32bit, VMWare6.5.1, iATKos v7 and i also installed vmware-darwin-200 but do not know if i actually needed to.

My Specs;

ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus Extreme (0x000005DE - 0xE599BA24)

Northbridge Intel X38 rev. 01 - Southbridge Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) rev. 02

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Just started out, my first post actually and i really am struggling to find a good FAQ or post in regards to running iATKosv7 under VMWare6.5.1 under WinXPSP3 32bit.

Any basic pointers appreciated as i am about to give up, and i have read a lot to just get here?

Not really experienced that and not used Andy's kernel yet. You would have o monitor the processes to see if you can see what is using the CPU. All CPU power managemnt is disabled when booting as this is the only relaible way VMware runs Darwin based operating systems.

I added the CPU speed settings to the config.ini and the problem disappeared. Apparently I have speedstep enabled in BIOS and didn't realize this.

Good job man

so does this virtualize a lan device and allow use of Internet?

yes, in fact with the new audio driver everything is working. I guess the major concern would be graphics performance because as of now core image is software and quartz extreme is not supported.

otherwise a great experience thanks to Donk and Zenith!

Hello,

I just installed 10.5.6 in VMWare Server 2 Linux on i386 with Core2CPU.

However OSX do not show any network NIC. Could you help me ?

VMWare Tools installed and here is my vmx file:

#!/usr/bin/vmware

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

nvram = "Mac OSX 10.5.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "hard"

powerType.suspend = "hard"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OSX 10.5"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OSX 10.5.vmxf"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "1024"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OSX 10.5.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/darwin.iso"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide1:0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"

ethernet0.features = "1"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.networkName = "Bridged"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

guestOS = "darwin"

uuid.location = "56 4d c5 b0 94 0e c5 e0-03 3e 12 85 9a 91 9a 92"

uuid.bios = "56 4d c5 b0 94 0e c5 e0-03 3e 12 85 9a 91 9a 92"

vc.uuid = "52 6c cb fe af 1d 0a 01-b4 45 7e dc 3b 39 29 ca"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:91:9a:92"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-1701733742"

tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

Thanks in advance!

Okay forgot this one I managed to get it working by setting NIC type to e1000.

Howerver I had chosen freebsd when creating the base VM with the wizard en the card hasn't been created right.

If I remember well, vmware does emulate different nic on Linux if it's a 32bits virtual machine or a 64bit one, so I guess it would have worked smoothly if my VM was created as a 64 bits one.

You may had this to your tutorial, or at least, in the troubleshooting part ;)

Thanks a lot.

I'm upgrading to latest OSX patch-set and then I'll try to get 10.4 Intel working as well (I need that one too).

Sadly 10.4 doesn't work: it keeps saying /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist however my installation DVD may be PowerPC only but I don't know how to check.

Hi all, this is my first post here in the forum.

Trying to install leopard on VMware I was getting into strange behaviour..

Here's what I've done:

- I've installed vmware without restarting the pc (as it's suggested at the end of the installation)

- I've followed the steps of donk's guide to install leopard

- I've created a new virtual machine from the template but leaving darwin-64 as guestos (I'm running XPSP3 32bit)

- Everything was fine and I was able to get through the installation of Leopard

- I was experiencing some problems with the keyboard, so I restarted the pc

- After the restart I've tried to install the 32bit version of leopard with the -legacy option

- I've changed guestos into darwin

- I've started getting warnings from vmware telling me that I've not VT support enable (but i have a vt-enabled CPU Core 2 Duo T5600)

- After the *damned* restart I didn't managed to install leopard again with none of the combination (32 or 64 bit) and I continue to get the same VT error..

Anyone have some ideas on what could be happened?? One thing I can't understand is why before the restart i didn't get any warnings about VT support and after that I did. I mean, it's the same pc, with the same bios, and the same settings than before the reboot.. :)

Thanks a lot

WKS 7 does not mount the tools for Darwin when using the menu. You will need to manually mount the iso image from my package and then install. The plus point is resize works in the beta!

Donk i tried mounting the darwin.iso located in program files\vmware (patched by your package I believe) and it shows up in Mac OSX but when I double click on install vmware tools option nothing happens. I am able to open the virtual cd in Mac OSX, it brings me to the vmware tools install menu but clicking install does nothing! Any ideas why on this? Thanks for all your help so far Donk!

Hello,

I tried a REAL 10.4.4 OSX Intel CD in VMWare Server 2 Linux. It boots fine, I get the apple with the grey background and then the panic message "You need to restart your computer..."

10.5.6 works fine.

Any idea ? I really need OSX 10.4 Intel for development purpose :)

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Adam.

Here is a screenshot of the failure (with -v):

osx_10.4.4_failure.png

And a new one with -x -v:

osx_10.4.4_failure_safemode.png

I have a MacbookPro with the CoreDuo@2.16 (32 bit machine). I am running snow leopard but I need a VM with 10.5 due to some software which is incompatible with 10.6. I tried using both the 10.5 Server template and a FreeBSD-modded template both give me the error as seen in the screenshot from Fusion.

post-415224-1251307457_thumb.png

@Alan I think the CoreDuo lacks the required hardware virtualization features and it definitly lacks 64-Bit support.

Btw. anyone had luck with installing tiger?

I'm receiving a kernel stack error, cpu disabled with VMware Fusion 2.0.5 on a 2009 Mac Pro 8-core 16GB running 10.5.8. Both 10.5 and 10.6 installed fine.

I tried both a retail 10.4 DVD that came with my MacBook Pro CoreDuo and a 10.4.8 JaS DVD for Hackintosh and GuestOS setting of darwin.

(I need 10.4 for backward compatibility testing.)

@Alan I think the CoreDuo lacks the required hardware virtualization features and it definitly lacks 64-Bit support.

I has the VX-T components but not 64bit. I think it is some limit that Fusion as coded into it, that it is only able to run MacOS on 64bit host, even if the guest OSX is 32 bit. I have definately run WinXP with fusion on this host though.

I has the VX-T components but not 64bit. I think it is some limit that Fusion as coded into it, that it is only able to run MacOS on 64bit host, even if the guest OSX is 32 bit. I have definately run WinXP with fusion on this host though.

Yea, but VMware uses software virtualization for XP (32-Bit). Probably the Core Duo supports only an older revision of the virtualization extension required or VMware just ignores it ...

I have a MacbookPro with the CoreDuo@2.16 (32 bit machine). I am running snow leopard but I need a VM with 10.5 due to some software which is incompatible with 10.6. I tried using both the 10.5 Server template and a FreeBSD-modded template both give me the error as seen in the screenshot from Fusion.

Some questions for you:

1. Give me the exact CPU processor number please so I can check what it is doing.

2. I assume you are using my files to run the desktop version of Leopard

3. Version of Fusion being used

4. Post the VMX file

The message means that for some reason the VT-x extensions are not being used on your machine.

No all VMware products use VT-x extensions for both 32-bit and 64-bit Leopard guests. Othe OS can use binary translation which do not use VT-x.

Hello all. I'm a noob when it comes to virtual machines, but I've read all of the posts in this thread and followed the instructions in Donk's manual. I've gotten to the point where the Mac OS X Installer is running in the console. However, when I get to the "Select a Destination" part of the wizard, there are no locations to select and the "continue" button remains disabled. Any ideas?

post-476051-1251315843_thumb.jpg

Here's my setup:

1. VMware Server 2

2. Host OS = Windows 7 RC build 7100

3. Host CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 GHz

4. Leopard OS X 10.5 retail

Here's my VMX file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
 config.version = "8"
 virtualHW.version = "7"
 mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
 vmci0.present = "TRUE"
 nvram = "Mac OS X Leopard.nvram"
 powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OS X Leopard"
 extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Leopard.vmxf"

memsize = "1536"
 ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
 ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Leopard.vmdk"
 ide0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
 ide1:0.fileName = "E:"
 ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
 ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
 ethernet0.features = "1"
 ethernet0.networkName = "NAT"
 usb.present = "TRUE"
 ehci.present = "TRUE"
 guestOS = "darwin-64"
 uuid.location = "56 4d e4 23 47 1b db 9c-32 69 76 19 cb a3 54 cb"
 uuid.bios = "56 4d e4 23 47 1b db 9c-32 69 76 19 cb a3 54 cb"
 vc.uuid = "52 01 d7 e4 48 5d e7 dd-d0 71 4b 15 20 42 9b eb"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:a3:54:cb"
 ide0:0.redo = ""
 vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
 usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
 vmci0.id = "-878488373"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
 smc.present = "FALSE"

Hello all. I'm a noob when it comes to virtual machines, but I've read all of the posts in this thread and followed the instructions in Donk's manual. I've gotten to the point where the Mac OS X Installer is running in the console. However, when I get to the "Select a Destination" part of the wizard, there are no locations to select and the "continue" button remains disabled. Any ideas?

You need to configure a disk using Disk Utility from menu. Search the web as there are plenty of topics on setting Mac OS X up, and probably better description than I can do.

Donk i tried mounting the darwin.iso located in program files\vmware (patched by your package I believe) and it shows up in Mac OSX but when I double click on install vmware tools option nothing happens. I am able to open the virtual cd in Mac OSX, it brings me to the vmware tools install menu but clicking install does nothing! Any ideas why on this? Thanks for all your help so far Donk!

You need to install it from within Leopard, ignore the VMware menus. Open the mounted drive in Finder and double click on the installer.

Hello,

I just installed 10.5.6 in VMWare Server 2 Linux on i386 with Core2CPU.

However OSX do not show any network NIC. Could you help me ?

VMWare Tools installed and here is my vmx file:

#!/usr/bin/vmware

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

nvram = "Mac OSX 10.5.nvram"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OSX 10.5"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OSX 10.5.vmxf"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "1024"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OSX 10.5.vmdk"

ide1:0.fileName = "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/darwin.iso"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ethernet0.features = "1"

ethernet0.networkName = "Bridged"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

guestOS = "darwin"

uuid.location = "56 4d c5 b0 94 0e c5 e0-03 3e 12 85 9a 91 9a 92"

uuid.bios = "56 4d c5 b0 94 0e c5 e0-03 3e 12 85 9a 91 9a 92"

vc.uuid = "52 6c cb fe af 1d 0a 01-b4 45 7e dc 3b 39 29 ca"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:91:9a:92"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

vmci0.id = "-1701733742"

tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

Thanks in advance!

Okay forgot this one I managed to get it working by setting NIC type to e1000.

Howerver I had chosen freebsd when creating the base VM with the wizard en the card hasn't been created right.

If I remember well, vmware does emulate different nic on Linux if it's a 32bits virtual machine or a 64bit one, so I guess it would have worked smoothly if my VM was created as a 64 bits one.

You may had this to your tutorial, or at least, in the troubleshooting part :police:

Thanks a lot.

I'm upgrading to latest OSX patch-set and then I'll try to get 10.4 Intel working as well (I need that one too).

Sadly 10.4 doesn't work: it keeps saying /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist however my installation DVD may be PowerPC only but I don't know how to check.

Thnakd for pointing that out will update the guide. I did know about that but forgot to add it!

Problem solved. Looks like I didn't read the manual as thoroughly as I should have. The last sentence of section 3.2 states: "Remember to use Disk Utility from the menu to partition the virtual disk before progressing into the installer." :police:

I ran the Disk Utility, partitioned the virtual disk, and now it's continuing with the install. keeping my fingers crossed that it works!

Donk, thanks for the quick reply!

post-476051-1251315843_thumb.jpg

Here's my setup:

1. VMware Server 2

2. Host OS = Windows 7 RC build 7100

3. Host CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 GHz

4. Leopard OS X 5.5 retail

Here's my VMX file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
 config.version = "8"
 virtualHW.version = "7"
 mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
 vmci0.present = "TRUE"
 nvram = "Mac OS X Leopard.nvram"
 powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OS X Leopard"
 extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Leopard.vmxf"

memsize = "1536"
 ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
 ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Leopard.vmdk"
 ide0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
 ide1:0.fileName = "E:"
 ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
 ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
 ethernet0.features = "1"
 ethernet0.networkName = "NAT"
 usb.present = "TRUE"
 ehci.present = "TRUE"
 guestOS = "darwin-64"
 uuid.location = "56 4d e4 23 47 1b db 9c-32 69 76 19 cb a3 54 cb"
 uuid.bios = "56 4d e4 23 47 1b db 9c-32 69 76 19 cb a3 54 cb"
 vc.uuid = "52 01 d7 e4 48 5d e7 dd-d0 71 4b 15 20 42 9b eb"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:a3:54:cb"
 ide0:0.redo = ""
 vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
 usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
 vmci0.id = "-878488373"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
 smc.present = "FALSE"

Hi all, this is my first post here in the forum.

Trying to install leopard on VMware I was getting into strange behaviour..

Here's what I've done:

- I've installed vmware without restarting the pc (as it's suggested at the end of the installation)

- I've followed the steps of donk's guide to install leopard

- I've created a new virtual machine from the template but leaving darwin-64 as guestos (I'm running XPSP3 32bit)

- Everything was fine and I was able to get through the installation of Leopard

- I was experiencing some problems with the keyboard, so I restarted the pc

- After the restart I've tried to install the 32bit version of leopard with the -legacy option

- I've changed guestos into darwin

- I've started getting warnings from vmware telling me that I've not VT support enable (but i have a vt-enabled CPU Core 2 Duo T5600)

- After the *damned* restart I didn't managed to install leopard again with none of the combination (32 or 64 bit) and I continue to get the same VT error..

Anyone have some ideas on what could be happened?? One thing I can't understand is why before the restart i didn't get any warnings about VT support and after that I did. I mean, it's the same pc, with the same bios, and the same settings than before the reboot.. :police:

Thanks a lot

Have you enabled VT-x in the BIOS as menitoned in the manual. Once you enable it then you need to do a full cold power cycle, that is switch the PC off and pull the power for 30 seconds before restarting it.

i just wanted to report my success with a core i7 hackintosh (host os 10.5.7) running vmware fusion 2.0.4. i had to use the voodoo_test package, though i could not boot the voodoo kernel with the string given - it would KP right away when booting the installer disk. however, just booting the installer (10.5.1 retail disc) when using the darwin.iso from the voodoo_test package did work, and then i successfully upgraded to 10.5.6.

my understanding is that something in the kernel in 10.5.7 and .8 is not compatible with vmware... is that right?

anyway thanks for this very well documented solution. in the end the application i wanted to run probably needs accelerated graphics to be fully functional, but even without that its good to know how to get osx going on vmware.