The Sims 3 on Hackintosh

nsfx84

23 posts in this topic

Anybody got it running yet? i can't get mine to run. Using original 10.5.7 too. Anyone have any idea? The game starts and immediately shows a black screen with the sims 3 cursor and that's it. Nothing happens anymore. :(

Really??

Sims 3 runs beautifully on my Dell Inspiron 1520 Leopard 10.5.7 Retail version!

wow really?!? i tried installing again.. new problem.. kernel panics... during installation. This sucks.

This sounds like Graphics Hardware Problem.

But do yourself a favor, if you have a dual boot system, then install the game under Windows. On OS X it is anyway just a WINE environment, so it is still the Windows Version running within the OS X Wine Emulator. The only native OS X Application is the game launcher, that has problems of its own (does not update, can not install custom content and so on)

And the game runs much smoother in native Windows environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Henri

This sounds like Graphics Hardware Problem.

But do yourself a favor, if you have a dual boot system, then install the game under Windows. On OS X it is anyway just a WINE environment, so it is still the Windows Version running within the OS X Wine Emulator. The only native OS X Application is the game launcher, that has problems of its own (does not update, can not install custom content and so on)

And the game runs much smoother in native Windows environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Henri

im pretty sure the game plays natively on os x?

i've never heard of a retail game using wine as a way to play on other operating systems.

i could be wrong though.. or i misread your post :/

• 3 weeks later...
Do other games work?

In "about this mac" , graphics / displays, do you have QE supported & CI as hardware accelerated?

Yup, that's his problem, when you see a game that run in black screen or something weird happen, its QE & CI the issue.

I was having a similar problem with all fullscreen games. Come to find out, since I have dual DVI ports, I had to just swap my monitor onto the other port and all games have worked since. Running 10.5.6 with geforce 9800gtx. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a similar problem; game installs fine, game starts fine until the point where you choose your neighborhood and then the progress bar just stops...but music keeps playing and mouse is responsive, but can't (or don't know how) force a quit of the application. game runs fine in vista64ultimate. i just built my machine and seems to run quite well from a 10.5.1 upgraded to 10.5.7 vanilla. hardware shows as being supported and CI is hardware accelerated and QE is supported. vid card is evga gtx260 core216 w/896MB VRAM total as shown in profile aswell. installed first the modified nvidia retail 18.5.2f16 driver and screen wouldn't work period, so per ihavearedcouch's instructions installed another one on top of this. my machine is: evga x58 w/920i7 @2.66, evga gtx260, 6gb 1600mhz, 300gb raptors for boot....so it really shouldn't be a hardware issue. everything *seems* to work fine, both onboard nics, on board sound in regular stereo, usb, firewire, haven't checked the the jmicron controllers yet, so i'll try switching outs on the vid card but i'm skeptical.....any other suggestions pls

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar issue. I have tried setting the graphics as low as possible, but I still have issues. For me, I can start the game, start building my sim, and then it freezes. I cannot force quit or do anything at that point.

I am using a ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphics card

I read this thread the other day, and decide to install the sims 3, installed it, and it works fine, even got the nude patch on the go :-),

Why dont you do a step by step of how you guys with problems are installing and running it, that might help us to figure out what is wrong.

Regards,

Rich

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem as nsfx84 :

The game installs perfectly - The crack was correctly applied - The game starts

Once it starts, I hear the music and get no error message, but I only see the Sims 3 cursor, the rest is a black screen. The game is clearly not crashed, because I can "click" on buttons and I hear the music changing.

I tried to switch to Windowed mode, but still nothing (only the cursor).

My video card is a 9800GT, and is installed perfectly.

In System Profiler, Quartz Extreme and QuartzGL are marked as "Supported" and Core Image is marked as "Hardware Accelerated".

I tried one other game so far, and it's Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It runs perfectly, full 3D, no lag.

Any suggestion ? If you need more info, let me know.

EDIT

Here's the output in Terminal when I run cider manually, if that can be usefull :

DexterOSX:~ frank$ /Applications/The\ Sims\ 3.localized/The\ Sims3.app/Contents/MacOS/cider ; exit;

err:reg:Nt_openConfigW could not retrieve the module file name (reason: 'bad module')

err:reg:Nt_openConfigW could not retrieve the module file name (reason: 'bad module')

err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin nvcpl.dll: dlopen(/Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libnvcpl.dylib, 2): image not found

There's some progress !

I managed to get SOME video working. I modified the file inside :

/USER/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences/config

There was a similar issue with NeedForSpeed:Carbon on this forum. I adapted their workaround for the Sims's config file.

I will post more of my progress, so far I'm trying to put options on and off in the [d3dgl] section of the file.

We're getting close !

FINAL EDIT

Well I tried my best to run the game. It ran. The two versions I downloaded worked. But since the game/cider did not support my video card (OSX's system profiler shows my card with QuartzExtreme, QuartzGL Supported and Core Image is Hardware Supported).

The performance I got with the game (BOTH versions of the game) was very poor, even on low graphics and every options disabled. I could barely see a diffence between the game's 'Normal Speed' and 'Ultra Speed'. Oh and no Antialias or Shadows (even with the options checked).

I am relieve, though, that this is not only the case with Hackintoshes, but many genuine Macs can't run the game either.

So I gave up and disk-managed the f-ck out of my HDD and now I run OSX (with a backup partition) and Windows 7 on the same HDD without problem.

Anyway, if any of you manage to find a way to get the game running smoothly with Antialias and Shadows, I'll be happy to try it out ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i had a similar problem, i have 10.5.8 on a win7/hackintosh dual-boot desktop and it installed abnormally fast for 2GB of RAM, when i loaded it [for the OSX] it totally skipped the intro video by itself and went right into the new family creator for some reason. When i try to cancel out of the character maker it just says "you need to add a name to your sim"?????????

• 2 months later...

It ran OK on my hackintosh (specs in sig) but would randomly crash*. I tried to solve it but gave up pretty quick and just threw an extra drive in the tower and now I reboot into windows 7 to play it, no problems, super smooth! Not ideal but everything else runs so well in Snow Leopard I hate to start making changes and upset the balance...