Snow Leopard on VAIO P(VGN-P90HS) working!

ryuu123

530 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Mac working on a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21E? please.

I managed to install Leopard but I cant get it on the internet via LAN or WLAN, I guess it needs drivers.

I'm completely new to Mac and I have no idea what I am doing, so please be gentle :-)

Regards

Himbear

Install via USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive

What you need:

- Disk Utility.

- USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive with at least 8GB of free space.

1. Mount the "Mac OS X Install DVD.iso"

2. Plug in your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive.

3. Open Disk Utility.

4. Select your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive from the drive list on the left.

5. You'll see "First Aid, Erase, Partition, RAID, Restore."

6. Click on "Partition."

7. Under "Volume Scheme", Select "1 Partition."

8. Once selected, hit the "Option" button at the bottom of the map.

9. A window will pop-up, select the "GUID Partition Table" option.

10. Once its done, navigate to the "Restore" tab.

11. From the drive list on the left, drag the mounted Snow Leopard .iso to the "Source" field, and drag your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive to the "Destination" field.

12. Click "Restore."

13. Close Disk Utility, Open up System Preferences. Under "System," choose "Startup Disk,"

14. Your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive should be listed as the Snow Leopard installation disk. Select and click "Restart."

15. Follow the instructions to install Snow Leopard.

Mac OS X 10.6.2............................RetaiL

What you need:

- Disk Utility.

1. Mount the "Mac OS X Install DVD.iso"

2. Plug in your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive.

3. Open Disk Utility.

4. Select your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive from the drive list on the left.

5. You'll see "First Aid, Erase, Partition, RAID, Restore."

6. Click on "Partition."

7. Under "Volume Scheme", Select "1 Partition."

8. Once selected, hit the "Option" button at the bottom of the map.

9. A window will pop-up, select the "GUID Partition Table" option.

10. Once its done, navigate to the "Restore" tab.

11. From the drive list on the left, drag the mounted Snow Leopard .iso to the "Source" field, and drag your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive to the "Destination" field.

12. Click "Restore."

13. Close Disk Utility, Open up System Preferences. Under "System," choose "Startup Disk,"

14. Your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive should be listed as the Snow Leopard installation disk. Select and click "Restart."

15. Follow the instructions to install Snow Leopard.

This is slightly OFF TOPIC but i am trying to get OSX installed on a Nokia Booklet which has similar hardware to the Vaio. I can get the USB Installer to boot but the hard drive is not seen by the installer. Windows7 and the bootloader see 3 partitions on the internal drive but OSX Installer doesn't see any of them. I did a diskutil list and it shows 7 disk

(disk0 -disk6). Disk0 is the USB installation media and 1-5 are untitled and show only 524.3KB. Disk6 is also untitled but has a size of 1.0MB.

Is this a kext issue? If so which do i need to get the Poulsbo US15W chipset to see the hard drive.

Thanks

well - this will be a longer quote :rolleyes:

but as always - girls - do me a favour and start reading the topics, use the search engine and google - then the most questions here would be obsolete

Show Leopard retail...???

unbelievable !!!

need an exentral DVD Drive??

this is the correct method --> BOOT 132 - MAC OS X RETAIL DVD - iATKOS V7 ...????

no - the only usable method is the one described in the two vaio p topics (one in 10.6 and one in 10.5)

No DVD required - you can use a USB stick - instructions at http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml tell you how to get the OS X DVD onto a USB to boot from (see the "On the Mac" section).

great idea - :wacko:

not everybody has a mac to make a hack - as i wrote a gazillion times - use transmac - that way you can do everything on a windows machine

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Mac working on a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21E? please.

I managed to install Leopard but I cant get it on the internet via LAN or WLAN, I guess it needs drivers.

I'm completely new to Mac and I have no idea what I am doing, so please be gentle :-)

Regards

Himbear

gentle - uhmm - no :dev:

same here - read, read & read - your wifi card is not supported (there is a tiny thread in the lan section - it's only 171 pages long and it's only about those "great" wifi cards from intel - to make it short - there is something in development (since os 10 tiger :wacko: ) - http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

but i think it's better and easier to buy a different wifi card for your vaio

GPS Works on Vaio p With Mac Os X or not?????

what did i say about "reading" ??? :whistle:

i'm to lazy to write everything again - so: click

What you need:

- Disk Utility.

edited the unneeded 15 points out of the qoute

quite a crappy way to get it done, sorry

please - there is a good vaio p guide in the snow leopard section, i wrote some additions in the eee1101ha topic

worked for me and others CLICK

This is slightly OFF TOPIC but i am trying to get OSX installed on a Nokia Booklet which has similar hardware to the Vaio. I can get the USB Installer to boot but the hard drive is not seen by the installer. Windows7 and the bootloader see 3 partitions on the internal drive but OSX Installer doesn't see any of them. I did a diskutil list and it shows 7 disk

(disk0 -disk6). Disk0 is the USB installation media and 1-5 are untitled and show only 524.3KB. Disk6 is also untitled but has a size of 1.0MB.

Is this a kext issue? If so which do i need to get the Poulsbo US15W chipset to see the hard drive.

Thanks

it's always a kext issue :dev:

first of all - installing snow leopard to the booklet is maybe not the best idea - more like show and shine (of course without the shine since ci/qe won't work :( )

you can't upgrade your ram - so 1 gig is everything you will have

so you can't use your gps (since there is no usable mac software that supports gps)

the "not that fast" cpu has to handle almost everything since the gma500 is not working the way he could

don't know if the lan/wlan will work (maybe you should check the hardware specs and compare them)

but if you still want to try it - go ahead and read this CLICK

it's always a kext issue :rolleyes:

first of all - installing snow leopard to the booklet is maybe not the best idea - more like show and shine (of course without the shine since ci/qe won't work :( )

you can't upgrade your ram - so 1 gig is everything you will have

so you can't use your gps (since there is no usable mac software that supports gps)

the "not that fast" cpu has to handle almost everything since the gma500 is not working the way he could

don't know if the lan/wlan will work (maybe you should check the hardware specs and compare them)

but if you still want to try it - go ahead and read this CLICK

Thanks i will try that out later. This is mostly a pet project. I got the Booklet from...well...a contact who said if i can get it to work and be repeatable i can keep it.

So its just another IT puzzle for me to solve when i am not working at my IT job.

pet project sounds great - and btw - reproducing it would be the easiest part - ccc works great

The parameters are it has to be repeatable as in a walkthrough.

I will keep everyone posted but yes, the Booklet is looking like a rather disappointing platform. 1gb ram? really....

if the hardware is similar to the vaiop or the eee 1101ha - then it will be not that hard to get the kitty running

the steps are always the same, the decisions are the same (guid vs. mbr, install to hdd or pendrive...)

afaik - 1gb - soldered in ;)

Dear All,

I'm very interest to install OSx into my new sony P, but after read the post in the forum, I'm still not able to create the setup USB drive for Sony P, so is any one can kindly teach me how to create the OSX install USB with hardware drivers under windows???

many many thanks.

if the hardware is similar to the vaiop or the eee 1101ha - then it will be not that hard to get the kitty running

the steps are always the same, the decisions are the same (guid vs. mbr, install to hdd or pendrive...)

afaik - 1gb - soldered in :D

When i boot in verbose mode i get a "Still waiting for device"

and

USBF: 218 5 [0x2f61100] the IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

This happens when i am booting off my USB Installation media

When i boot in verbose mode i get a "Still waiting for device"

and

USBF: 218 5 [0x2f61100] the IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

This happens when i am booting off my USB Installation media

Ok so i got the installer to see the internal drive! But for some reason while in the installer i had no internal mouse/keyboard support (USB ones worked fine).

FYI i did this by using netbookmaker to prep my OSX installation USB media then adding the kext's to the EXTRA's folder. Reformatted internal drive as HFS Journaled w/ GUID.

Installer finishes but rebooting gets me a kernal panic relating to:

com.apple.driver.appleAPIC

org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

Isn't progress fun!

Dear All,

I'm very interest to install OSx into my new sony P, but after read the post in the forum, I'm still not able to create the setup USB drive for Sony P, so is any one can kindly teach me how to create the OSX install USB with hardware drivers under windows???

many many thanks.

:unsure: - maybe you missed something in posting #331

Ok so i got the installer to see the internal drive! But for some reason while in the installer i had no internal mouse/keyboard support (USB ones worked fine).

FYI i did this by using netbookmaker to prep my OSX installation USB media then adding the kext's to the EXTRA's folder. Reformatted internal drive as HFS Journaled w/ GUID.

Installer finishes but rebooting gets me a kernal panic relating to:

com.apple.driver.appleAPIC

org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

Isn't progress fun!

progress is fun :D

since i didn't use the netbookmaker i can't tell you anything about it

i can only tell you something about the image i made - sorry

:unsure: - maybe you missed something in posting #331

progress is fun :D

since i didn't use the netbookmaker i can't tell you anything about it

i can only tell you something about the image i made - sorry

So i remade the USB installation media w/ the following steps

1. Format USB drive w/ GUID and HFS Journaled.

2. Restore a disk image of a 10.6 retail DVD (prior to 10.6.2) to the USB disk.

3. Run NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3

4. Copy kexts from vaiop20091014us (will post link in full write up) to the Extra folder that was created in step 3.

5. Boot to USB drive

6. WARNING THIS STEP DESTROYS ANY DATA ON HD: Reformat internal drive as one partition that is HFS formatted

7. Install OSX - remove anything extra that isn’t needed.

8. Reboot to USB Installation media again.

9. In the utilities menu run the netbook installer to install the bootloader.

This is a work in progress.

FYI. On my second install the KB/Mouse is now working. Not sure what i did different.

Thanks all.

Hmm... I tried this, and now I can't boot into Mac OS. At all.

It gets to the screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel, then it just continues to spin and a little grey "not allowed" symbol appears.

Any suggestions?

(If it's easier for you to reply in German, I'm fine with that.)

Just got my key fixed!! Right now the ~ and ` are correct. Apparently, the problem was the current kext assumes keyboard to be 102 which is not correct and should be 101. The new VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext is attached. With this updated kext, there is now an option to change and detect your keyboard type in the Keyboard Pane in System Preferences. :)

To update your current VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (assume you are in the directory containing the new VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext):

sudo rm -rf /Extra/Extensions1/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/

sudo cp -R VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext /Extra/Extensions1/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

sudo /Extra/extra.sh

Then, reboot and enjoy.

PS, The credit goes to trip2me from Voodoo Forum for this update. For anyone interested and wants more details, you can head to http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,304.0.html. :)

Hmm... I tried this, and now I can't boot into Mac OS. At all.

It gets to the screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel, then it just continues to spin and a little grey "not allowed" symbol appears.

Any suggestions?

(If it's easier for you to reply in German, I'm fine with that.)

boot in verbose mode (-v) then you will see whats wrong

zu deutsch - geb mal im chameleon startmenü -v ein (geht eigentlich auch mit der pfeil nach unten taste, da kommen dann startkommandos die übernommen werden, muss man dann nur mit der entertaste bestätigen)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Does anyone know how to enable the click-function of the pointingstick? I already installed VoodooPS2Mouse.kext but it didn't work, and i would really love to have that function again :P

Thanks in advance!!

L@u27

Just reading over this thread and it gave me a smile thinking about the shivers that must be going down the spines at Cupertino with all the incredible success you guys are getting on the Vaio P. Thanks to all.

Just wondering what kind of battery life are those with working SL builds getting with both standard and the extended battery. Haven't gotten a P yet but looking to pick one up if I can run OSX (now I can, cheers) and also not run out of steam after 30 mins on the road. How does it compare with 7 and XP in terms of battery life + performance web browsing, word processing etc. Not gonna do flash or any HD video. I know the last question is vague but just looking for subjective opinions. Thanks in advance guys.

• 2 weeks later...

some body HELP PLZ i try to install snow on Sony VAIO VGN-P19VRN

on start install i ressive this message:

acpi_smc_platformplugin::start waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Waiting for root device

Waiting for root device