Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

Okay, thank you.

I'll try this out tommorow and post back. Hopefully it will work. Now a question, why is it that nForce mobo's are near impossible to install OS X with? Whats different than other mobos that can install OS X without problems.

That is the $64,000 question.......it relates to the nVidia nForce MCP chipset (Southbridge chipset) when controlling SATA/PATA devices........the 610i and 630i seem problematic, the 680i can be too, to a lesser degree, and the 650i the least problematic (thankfully for me......see my blog.... :) )........the 780i and 790i can be problematic too for some......

There is not a simple answer as it seems to depend on the MOBO plus data device combination

......but generally for most nForce chipset MOBO systems, the best combo for installing OS X appears to be SATA HDDs plus PATA (IDE) DVDRWs......OS X likes SATA HDDs and nForce chipset appears to work more readily with a PATA (IDE) DVDRW...... :rolleyes:

Hence, my OSx86DeFacto USB Flash Drive DVD OSx86 Install Booter which relies on BIOS USB device bootability (and of course a bootable USB flash drive)....... :)

I read your blog, interesting stuff. Anyway, can I use OSx86DeFacto? Are there advantages, disadvantages? Do you suggest I use an IDE DVDRW to install leopard onto my SATA HD?

Thanks.

Before trying OSx86DeFacto, I would try an IDE DVDRW if you have one or can borrow one but remember to check the IDE connection setup carefully.....see post #1......

I say use an IDE DVDRW because some OSX86'ers have found that even if they get OS X installed with a SATA DVDRW, they may not be able to successfully "burn" DVDs/CDs using the SATA DVDRW.....

My mantra to help newbies is

Begin with correct BIOS settings; use USB keyboard & USB mouse to avoid PS/2 issues; check on PATA before you check on SATA; HDD MBR partition and format, unless you have good reason to use GPT; boot OS X DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048, unless you know better; initially choose no video, network and audio kext for easy path to OS X.....

EDIT: Will check back on your progress when I can but tired now so off to sleep..... :rolleyes:

Hi verdant, I've installed iPC OSx86 Leopard as you wrote in your blog.. Everything is working perfect, but sometime the computer hangs. It can work normally from one day to several days without hangings, it just happen randomly. The way it happens is the screensaver still shows the current time (minutes is changes) but keyboard and mouse doesn't work.

Maybe you have any ideas?

UPD: Also tried to unplug/plug the keyboard and/or mouse - doesn't work.. only reboot

Hi verdant, I've installed iPC OSx86 Leopard as you wrote in your blog.. Everything is working perfect, but sometime the computer hangs. It can work normally from one day to several days without hangings, it just happen randomly. The way it happens is the screensaver still shows the current time (minutes is changes) but keyboard and mouse doesn't work.

Maybe it's the drivers/kexts? Not sure, unplug and re-plug the keyboard and mouse.

I'm going to give the installation a go in maybe an hour. Do you suggest I use an IDE DVDRW to burn the DVD?

Maybe it's the drivers/kexts? Not sure, unplug and re-plug the keyboard and mouse.

I'm going to give the installation a go in maybe an hour. Do you suggest I use an IDE DVDRW to burn the DVD?

If you are using Windows either SATA or IDE DVDRW should be OK.

UPD: Also tried to unplug/plug the keyboard and/or mouse - doesn't work.. only reboot

1. I am assuming you are using a USB keyboard and USB mouse as recommended.....

2. Proper USB device functioning including hot plug/play requires matching kernel and System.kext versions.....

3. If you are using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel (the only stable official release of Voodoo kernel right now i.e. Release 1.0) after updating to OS X 10.5.8, did you check that you have matching System.kext version 9.5.0 and the 10.5.5 version seatbelt.kext (the latter is required for .dmg mounting)......

4. Also, for onboard LAN you should use eno's nForceLAN.kext.....remembering to remove forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext, and remove nvenet.kext, or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7 (and 10.5.8?), look in

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns....

This is a new location for nvenet.kext; prior to 10.5.7, this kext was not in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

5. If you have Quick Time 7.6.x installed, then you need to remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, or rename it to AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.bad, to prevent the mouse lag problem with all 8800 GT/GTS 512 and 8600 and 8500 and 9800 series nVidia GFX cards.....

If you still have USB problems, try slice's modded IOUSBFamily.kext for 10.5.8 from here......

Wait, what if I cannot boot iPC 10.5.6 at all, I mean last time I tried putting the disc in and installing it, it'll show the apple logo for a mid second and restart.

First, you NEED to set RAID to [AHCI] mode and SATA RAID to [Disabled], and also enable HPET in your BIOS......

2. Proper USB device functioning including hot plug/play requires matching kernel and System.kext versions.....

3. If you are using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel (the only stable official release of Voodoo kernel right now i.e. Release 1.0) after updating to OS X 10.5.8, did you check that you have matching System.kext version 9.5.0 and the 10.5.5 version seatbelt.kext (the latter is required for .dmg mounting)......

4. Also, for onboard LAN you should use eno's nForceLAN.kext.....remembering to remove forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext, and remove nvenet.kext, or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7 (and 10.5.8?), look in

This is a new location for nvenet.kext; prior to 10.5.7, this kext was not in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

5. If you have Quick Time 7.6.x installed, then you need to remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, or rename it to AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.bad, to prevent the mouse lag problem with all 8800 GT/GTS 512 and 8600 and 8500 and 9800 series nVidia GFX cards.....

If you still have USB problems, try slice's modded IOUSBFamily.kext for 10.5.8 from here......

First, you NEED to set RAID to [AHCI] mode and SATA RAID to [Disabled], and also enable HPET in your BIOS......

Tried that. Set RAID to AHCI, I don't know where SATA Raid is but when I selected RAID to [RAID] it showed all the drives as Disabled. HPET was enabled aswell. It showed the CD thing and I pressed F8, type in -v, loaded the kexts, switched screen, then bam restart.

I should try with IDE DVDRW? But wouldn't it be the same...

Tried that. Set RAID to AHCI, I don't know where SATA Raid is but when I selected RAID to [RAID] it showed all the drives as Disabled. HPET was enabled aswell. It showed the CD thing and I pressed F8, type in -v, loaded the kexts, switched screen, then bam restart.

I should try with IDE DVDRW? But wouldn't it be the same...

Unfortunately, I do not have a XFX 630i manual with BIOS details available because I do not own an XFX MOBO to allow me to register and download XFX manuals......

So, with RAID set to AHCI and HPET enabled, try with SATA DVDRW on SATA 1 and IDE HDD jumper set and connected as Master......if you have already done so with no good result....then try a IDE DVDRW......

What if I provided you with the BIOS details, maybe they have the manual on their site?

They require:

REGISTER A PRODUCT

Logout Please enter all requested information to properly register your XFX product.

USER INFORMATION

btnEdit.gif Address 1

Address 2

Address 3

City

State/Province

Zip/Postal Code

Country

PRODUCT INFORMATION

* Date of Purchase * Where did you purchase? Registration Code (Optional) What is this?

For 2nd owners

If you are attempting to register an XFX product that was purchased or given to you from a previous owner, you'll need to get the Registration ID # from them. They should have this if the product has been registered properly with XFX.

If you have questions, please use The XFX Help Desk and create a new ticket. Thank you.

* Serial number How do I find this?

Serial Number SerialNumberExample.jpg * Part Number

Check this box if you don't have the serial number. You will then be asked for your products part number.

so I suggest you register on the site and download the 630i manual......

I registered on the site the day I got my mobo since they had the rebate program. Should I send you the manual?

I currently started Kalyway 10.5.2 installation, everything seems to be going well lets hope the essentials error does not come again. I'll let you know.

I registered on the site the day I got my mobo since they had the rebate program. Should I send you the manual?

I currently started Kalyway 10.5.2 installation, everything seems to be going well lets hope the essentials error does not come again. I'll let you know.

I will PM you.......

Okay. I just checked the installer, it says the time remaining is 1 hour and 59 minutes. Holy {censored} that long?

The time remaining usually changes unless it freezes......

Installed 10.5.2 Kalyway successfully (downloaded another copy that matches the MD5). I'm getting the buffers error though. Had to type sleepkernel to get to the Mac logo otherwise it would just restart.

So I typed "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 sleepkernel"

Kexts loaded up, then I see the "buffers" error message.

I followed the same guide I followed before when I got the buffers error, and it just shows the apple logo and restarts immediately. Strange...

I also didn't have to enable or edit anything in the BIOS, Kalyway installed on default BIOS settings. Strange isn't it.

Help.

1. Yes, I'm using USB keyboard and mouse.

2. Where can I find proper system.kext?

3. I have Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel. How can I check if I have matching System.kext?

4. Didn't know about forcedeth.kext, nForceEthernetController.kext, nvenet.kext, but they are not present in my system

5. Ok, renamed AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

Will see if I have any further problems... And please answer about system.kext.

Thank you very much :)

1. Yes, I'm using USB keyboard and mouse.

2. Where can I find proper system.kext?

3. I have Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel. How can I check if I have matching System.kext?

4. Didn't know about forcedeth.kext, nForceEthernetController.kext, nvenet.kext, but they are not present in my system

5. Ok, renamed AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

Will see if I have any further problems... And please answer about system.kext.

Thank you very much ;)

If you download the Voodoo installer.dmg and double-click on it you will find the matching System.kext in the Files directory......use Kext Helper b7 to install it......

Installed 10.5.2 Kalyway successfully (downloaded another copy that matches the MD5). I'm getting the buffers error though. Had to type sleepkernel to get to the Mac logo otherwise it would just restart.

So I typed "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 sleepkernel"

Kexts loaded up, then I see the "buffers" error message.

I followed the same guide I followed before when I got the buffers error, and it just shows the apple logo and restarts immediately. Strange...

I also didn't have to enable or edit anything in the BIOS, Kalyway installed on default BIOS settings. Strange isn't it.

Help.

Ignore my PM about IDE channels as your posted BIOS is different from that in the manual.

In your BIOS set DVDRW as your 1st Boot device and HDD as 2nd Boot device, RAID mode to [AHCI], and HPET to [Enabled], and then, since you say you can install Kalyway 10.5.2 successfully, run Kalyway Install DVD and install with Customize choices as follows:

Additional Fonts [Choose to suit your requirements]

Language Translations [Choose to suit your requirements]

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep Y (Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep N

kernel_922_kabyl N

kernel_922_modin N

kernel_92_nforce N

kernel_vanilla_92 N

Graphics _Drivers - N

Audio_Drivers - N

Networks_ Drivers - N

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications [Choose to suit your requirements]

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS Default choice i.e. Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag N

PCGenUSB_Fix N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout N

TimeMachineFix Y

PowerManagement_bundle N

Intel Memory Controller N

AMD_1052_Patches Default N (Default choice)

then boot from the installed OS X system on the HDD with -v -f debug=0x100 and let me know what happens......

Installed Kalyway, and typed what you said, and I get:

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

:(

Boot from the Kalyway Install DVD again and reinstall it but choosing only SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC in Customize.......

Wow, thats gunna take forever again. But I'll do it.

I had to return the IDE DVDRW i borrowed.

I guess I'll have to try again tommorow.

Does the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD boot OK on the SATA DVDRW with the BIOS changes I said to set or not?

If not, use old APIC and ACPI kexts and install them in /System/Library/Extensions using Windows via MacDrive or TransMac......?