Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

As I said in an earlier post:

4GB RAM vs SATA DVDRW

AFAIK your audio chipset/codec is a Realtek ALC888....... try VoodooHDA from here.....or try ALC888 kexts from here or here.......

What is the kernel panic you see on shut down?

I'll post the kernel panic message when I shut down. Also I seem to be having a problem previously posted on this thread. My Keyboard & Mouse stop functioning after a while (at random). They're both USB.

I'll post the kernel panic message when I shut down. Also I seem to be having a problem previously posted on this thread. My Keyboard & Mouse stop functioning after a while (at random). They're both USB.

Confirm in System Profiler -> USB -> USB Device Tree that the USB High-Speed Bus is present.....and re-check matching kernel and System.kext versions.....then check in /S/L/E for AppleHPET.kext......if present rename it to AppleHPET.kext.orig.......it may solve your USB issues but no guarantee.....

Confirm in System Profiler -> USB -> USB Device Tree that the USB High-Speed Bus is present.....and re-check matching kernel and System.kext versions.....then check in /S/L/E for AppleHPET.kext......if present rename it to AppleHPET.kext.orig.......it may solve your USB issues but no guarantee.....

While writing a post here my KB & Mouse stopped functioning. So its still is happening, not only that when I was typing 'display' it stopped on 'displ' and kept typing 'lllllllllll' ... USB High-Speed Bus is present. I'll recheck kernel.

Just a quick question, is tehre any method to update to the latest version? Or a diff version that 10.5.2 ?

Read this:

The solution is the drivers AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. They are available doe download in these forums but I have also uploaded the versions I use to http://www.mediafire.com/hexhex in the "Individual Drivers" folder. I use these on 10.5.2 (Kalyway), iPC 10.5.6 and Retail 10.5.6 and solve all my keyboard and mouse issues an

Is it safe to apply those kexts for my system?

While writing a post here my KB & Mouse stopped functioning. So its still is happening, not only that when I was typing 'display' it stopped on 'displ' and kept typing 'lllllllllll' ... USB High-Speed Bus is present. I'll recheck kernel.

Just a quick question, is tehre any method to update to the latest version? Or a diff version that 10.5.2 ?

Read this:

The solution is the drivers AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. They are available doe download in these forums but I have also uploaded the versions I use to http://www.mediafire.com/hexhex in the "Individual Drivers" folder. I use these on 10.5.2 (Kalyway), iPC 10.5.6 and Retail 10.5.6 and solve all my keyboard and mouse issues an

Is it safe to apply those kexts for my system?

Those kexts are for use with PS/2 keyboard and mouse.....

For your USB issues, try slice's IOPCIFamily v2.6.1 from here......

For updating from 10.5.2 I will PM you.....but remember to keep a backup of your current /Extra direcory with DSDT.aml file.....

Those kexts are for use with PS/2 keyboard and mouse.....

For your USB issues, try slice's IOPCIFamily v2.6.1 from here......

For updating from 10.5.2 I will PM you.....but remember to keep a backup of your current /Extra direcory with DSDT.aml file.....

Im using Acronis to image my HDD, then when I need it i'll boot it up with the leopard install disc and format as HFS+ (Mac OS Journaled) and go back to windows and apply.

I'll try the IOPCIFamily, thanks!

Here is the KP I get when shutting down. It's a {censored} .. (:

continuing
unmount of /home failed (45)
unmount of /net failed (45)
done

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A8C8A: Kernel trap at 0x0019AB42, type 14=page fault, registers: )
\
\
long list of numbers here
\
\

no mapping exists for frame pointer
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbffff628

Here is the KP I get when shutting down. It's a {censored} .. (:

continuing
done

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A8C8A: Kernel trap at 0x0019AB42, type 14=page fault, registers: )
\
\
long list of numbers here
\
\

no mapping exists for frame pointer
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbffff628

I get the following too, so no need to be concerned about:

continuing

done

Do you get the remaining kernel panic every time you shutdown? I ask because some have reported a seemingly random kernel panic (KP) after a number of successful shutdowns.....e.g 3 to 5 problem-free shutdowns followed by 1 with a KP, then successful shutdowns again....

I too occasionally get a KP on shutdown, typically related to the system not being able to shut down a process e.g. VoodooHA.....

It's literally every time I shutdown. The only time I didn't get KP was the first time I shutdown.

If you have the Voodoo kernel installed, it has a in-built debug flag......so if there is a KP it normally (at least from my experience) shows in the KP message on the shutdown screen what may be causing the problem.....

Do you have this KP if you boot with -v -x and then shutdown?

Try this: Set up another user account with administrative control and see if the shutdown KP disappears.....if the new user account gives no shutdown KP, then something problematic could have been installed in /Users/Your originial admin account/Library folder because if the new user account works, it indicates that it is not installed in the /System or /System/Library folders......

Strange, I took my computer from my basement (the one with OS X) and put it up stairs onto my flat screen monitor now I get "Still Waiting for Root device" while attempting to boot into Leopard.

If computers do not work properly after being moved, first suspect loose connections..... check for loose SATA connectors if your SATA cable/MOBO connectors are the non-latching type.....

I'll check that, also I get this error in yellow while booting with -v

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.APPLEACPIPCI

AFAIK this means that APPLEACPIPCI.kext is not being loaded.......is it in your Extensions directory? If so, you can re-boot with - v -f and see what happens....

It's not in my extensions directory. There is also a folder in the /S/ that says 'installatstartup'

Sorry my fault.....look in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns....using Show Package Contents (via right-click).....that is where it should be.....

If it is there, repair permissions on Extensions....

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R go-w /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

and see what happens.....

That would only work if I get into Leopard right?

Are you still unable to boot into Leopard on your HDD again......?

Correct, I tried -v -f, same error. Disabled ACPI in BIOS, the boot up sequence text was now half of what its used to, no yellow error, then it just stops with 'Still waiting for root device' atleast I think its that, takes forever..

Try the new radical approach.....see post #2 in this thread since you have AHCI mode in your BIOS.....

Correct, I tried -v -f, same error. Disabled ACPI in BIOS, the boot up sequence text was now half of what its used to, no yellow error, then it just stops with 'Still waiting for root device' atleast I think its that, takes forever..

if you get the "Still waiting for root device" error then try entering the command "rd=diskXsY" x being the disk number and y being the partition number.

I"ll try that, thanks. I'm just concerned about something. During my attempt at the upgrade process from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6, the Mac OS X Combo Update installer failed. Could this be some how related? Is there a fix or would I just have to use my image to just re-do everything again.

Thanks.

Okay, so I just tried it. Disabled ACPI & set Raid Mode to AHCI, typed rd=disk1s0 it did NOT work. I'm going to just format it partition it and put OS X on one and Linux on the other. That's possible correct?

Appreciate your help, thanks.

I"ll try that, thanks. I'm just concerned about something. During my attempt at the upgrade process from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6, the Mac OS X Combo Update installer failed. Could this be some how related? Is there a fix or would I just have to use my image to just re-do everything again.

Thanks.

Okay, so I just tried it. Disabled ACPI & set Raid Mode to AHCI, typed rd=disk1s0 it did NOT work. I'm going to just format it partition it and put OS X on one and Linux on the other. That's possible correct?

Appreciate your help, thanks.

This can happen sometimes....it is solved for me by doing a fresh double.click on the Combo Update .dmg to generate a "fresh" .pkg......since the Mysticus Pre-Patch is already installed, so long as you have not restarted the PC and the rename.sh shell script is open and running in Terminal, you can just close the failed Combo updater .pkg and run the "fresh" one.....

I do not know if you have read my post #1 Partitioning/Formatting Guide section but setting up a 10GB Boot volume as the first on the HDD as described, with a Main OS X and Test OS X system saves a lot of time......so in my case I have

I have Vista 64 Ultimate on one 500GB SATA HDD, partitioned into two equal size NTFS volumes - one as the Vista 64 System and the other for Vista 64 Data.

I have OS X Leopard on another 500GB SATA HDD, partitioned as MBR and formatted as 4 Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volumes:

1st volume is a small 10GB volume at start of HDD that I use as a OS X boot volume with basic 10.5.2 install, which allows me to modify/test OS X updates on the main and backup volumes without ever risking not being able to boot into OS X from this HDD (and allows me to use Disk Utility etc. fix the other OS X volumes, install/remove files etc);

2nd and 3rd volumes are 175GB each, which I use for OS X 10.5.3 Main and Backup systems respectively;

4th volume is a 105GB OS X Installer volume with all archived OS X x86 installer software.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 on another 500GB SATA HDD, partitioned into 3 volumes (all done using the Ubuntu alternate install CD) as follows:

1st volume on HDD is a 1GB primary ext3 GRUB static bootloader volume [/boot]; it is this size to allow for the many kernel versions......

2nd volume on HDD is a 185GB logical volume i.e. LVM partitioned as ext3 /root, ext3 /home and swap volumes;

3rd volume on HDD is a 279GB primary MS-DOS (FAT 32) volume, which is shared between all three OS's.

I then simply and conveniently use EasyBCD 1.7.2 in Vista 64 to set up an MBR bootloader to enable me to boot into each of the 3 HDDs as Windows Vista, Leopard [and hence any of the 3 OS X volumes], and Ubuntu.....

But to answer your question, you can put Linux on one volume and OS X on another volume on the same HDD (although a HDD for each OS is best).....use Linux LiveCD or GParted Live CD to set up a FAT32 volume for your future OS X volumes and the ext3 volumes plus swap volume.....

This can happen sometimes....it is solved for me by doing a fresh double.click on the Combo Update .dmg to generate a "fresh" .pkg......since the Mysticus Pre-Patch is already installed, so long as you have not restarted the PC and the rename.sh shell script is open and running in Terminal, you can just close the failed Combo updater .pkg and run the "fresh" one.....

I do not know if you have read my post #1 Partitioning/Formatting Guide section but setting up a 10GB Boot volume as the first on the HDD as described, with a Main OS X and Test OS X system saves a lot of time......so in my case I have

But to answer your question, you can put Linux on one volume and OS X on another volume on the same HDD (although a HDD for each OS is best).....use Linux LiveCD or GParted Live CD to set up a FAT32 volume for your future OS X volumes and the ext3 volumes plus swap volume.....

OS X isn't bootable, how would I go around attempting that (1st part) without able to boot?

OS X isn't bootable, how would I go around attempting that (1st part) without able to boot?

Do you have two bootable OS X volumes set up on your hard drive? Or an external USB HDD or USB flash drive that you can partition/format as MBR/HFS+?