Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

I'll try the procedure you posted. Thanks.

Just did what you said, tried to boot into -s but it just restarted. Then i tried

-s platform=X86PC maxmem=2048 cpus=1

and the same thing happened.

If you cannot boot into single user mode using -s at the Darwin boot prompt from the HDD, try booting from the OS X Install DVD as if you are going to reinstall OS X BUT instead go to Terminal via Disk Utility......

cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume inside quotes ""/

ls

"just to see where you are, i.e. to see /System etc."

cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume inside quotes “"/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

"cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume inside quotes ""/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/" should all be in one line (obviously without quotes.....)

sudo mv ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.orig

ls

exit

Hey there verdant. Seeing as you're prolly the most fit to help me with my problem, I figured I should ask you.

First off, My specs are in my sig.

Second, I've tried 4 distros and none of them have worked. I have access to all of them. I've tried iAtkos v7, iDeneb 1.3, Kalyway 10.5.2, & iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final, along with an iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final w/ AppleNforceATA(TEST) PPF patch.

All of them give me "Still waiting for Root Device" except iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final / AppleNforceATA(TEST) PPF patch, it stays at "USBF: 1.365 AppleUSB0HCI..." WITHOUT giving me a "Still waiting for Root Device".

I've tried all the boot flags I know with each. (-v, -v -f, -v -x, -v -s, cpus=1, platform=AHCI -v, platform=OSX86 -v)

Third, my BIOS supports barely anything. It doesn't look like your usual BIOS and has about 1/3 of the settings a normal BIOS should have. So No AHCI mode, No SATA RAID/IDE, No booting from USB, ect... The Basics.

If you can find the time to help me, that would awesome.

When I first started I was very excited to get my favorite operating system on my PC but of course all these errors kinda but that mini-dream on hold.

Thanks,

~ Jon

Couldn't I remove this via TransMac?

Hey there verdant. Seeing as you're prolly the most fit to help me with my problem, I figured I should ask you.

Second, I've tried 4 distros and none of them have worked. I have access to all of them. I've tried iAtkos v7, iDeneb 1.3, Kalyway 10.5.2, & iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final, along with an iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final w/ AppleNforceATA(TEST) PPF patch.

All of them give me "Still waiting for Root Device" except iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final / AppleNforceATA(TEST) PPF patch, it stays at "USBF: 1.365 AppleUSB0HCI..." WITHOUT giving me a "Still waiting for Root Device".

I've tried all the boot flags I know with each. (-v, -v -f, -v -x, -v -s, cpus=1, platform=AHCI -v, platform=OSX86 -v)

Third, my BIOS supports barely anything. It doesn't look like your usual BIOS and has about 1/3 of the settings a normal BIOS should have. So No AHCI mode, No SATA RAID/IDE, No booting from USB, ect... The Basics.

When I first started I was very excited to get my favorite operating system on my PC but of course all these errors kinda but that mini-dream on hold.

Thanks,

~ Jon

Same thing with me bud, I actually thought OS X would work perfectly since my rig is pretty latest. Turns out it doesn't support it as fast. But I did see the leopard welcome screen & desktop for a bit until I restarted D:

Couldn't I remove this via TransMac?

Yes......LOL......I automatically think OS X first........Windows/TransMac second......

Same thing with me bud, I actually thought OS X would work perfectly since my rig is pretty latest. Turns out it doesn't support it as fast. But I did see the leopard welcome screen & desktop for a bit until I restarted D:

Well be lucky you at least got to the welcome screen @.@ hmmmm hope verdant can help you out, good luck!

~ Jon

Thanks,

~ Jon

1. OS X does not support CI/QE on the integrated nVidia GeForce 7100 chipset

2. Check your BIOS settings against these and highlight which you have and do not have:

Standard CMOS Features:

IDE Channel 0 Master (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 0 Slave (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 2 Master (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 2 Slave (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 3 Master (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

IDE Channel 3 Slave (IDE HDD Auto-Detect, Auto.....) Auto-Detect, Auto

Advanced BIOS Features:

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

CPU Multi-Threading (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

Limit CPUID Max to 3 (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

CPU EIST Function (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals:

On-Chip IDE Channel (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

IDE Prefetch Mode (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

NV Serial-ATA Controller (All Enabled, Disabled) [All Enabled]

SATA-II RAID Config

Onchip SATA Mode (IDE, RAID, AHCI) [AHCI]

SATA-II Pri-Master RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

SATA-II Pri-Slave RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

SATA-II Sec-Master RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

SATA-II Sec-Slave RAID (Enabled, Disabled) [Disabled]

On-Chip MAC Lan (Auto, Disabled) [Disabled]

Onboard LAN Boot ROM (Auto, Disabled) [Disabled]

Onboard Audio Function (Auto, Disabled) [Auto]

On-Chip USB (Disabled, V1.1+V2.0, V1.1) [V1.1+V2.0]

USB Keyboard Support (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

HDMI Audio

Onboard 1394 (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

Legacy USB storage detect (Enabled, Disabled) [Enabled]

Power Management Setup:

ACPI Suspend Type (S1&S3, S1(POS), S3(STR)) [s1&S3]

ACPI APIC Support (Disabled, Enabled) [Enabled]

APM Configuration

HPET Support (Disabled, Enabled) [Enabled]

3. Google search to see if anyone has updated their HP BIOS on your HP Pavillion a6600f to the latest BIOS for the Foxconn MCP73M01H1 MOBO.....

4. Have a go at generating a patched dsdt.aml file for your BIOS just in case it is needed, as described in previous posts for formula.......

5. Find out if your HP Pavillion a6600f can BIOS boot from a bootable USB flash drive....e.g. via "Other boot device" under BIOS Boot Order/Priority tab......

I have to be honest and say at the outset that unless you are very fortunate with your BIOS, its crippled nature as regards SATA mode settings is likely to make installing OS X a time consuming problem.....and perhaps a no-goer.....

Thats it for now after numerous posts and PMs.......back to my "real life" and sleep.......otherwise known as InsanelyMacaholic "rehab"....... :)

I booted into Leopard after deleting that kext, now what?

Elaborate!

Did you boot successfully into OS X or what..........

Yes, I managed to boot into Leopard OS X 10.5.2 .

My Windows XP HD is not detected, neither is the other one, except one of them. USB functions don't work (I stuck my USB key in there and it did NOT detect).

I'm scared to restart.

If all you have done is remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext or rename it to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.orig, then doing so should have no effect on Windows OS at all, especially since it is on a separate HDD.....

Probably with all the BIOS restarts, your BIOS/MOBO has got a bit "confused".......if you shut the PC down and let it "rest" a bit before restarting, you should hopefully be OK.....OS X can read/write to FAT32 volumes and naturally read NTFS volumes but needs NTFS-3G with MacFUSE to write to NTFS volumes.....see here....

For proper USB functioning, the OS X kernel and System.kext versions should match.......both be 9.2.0 with Kalyway install.....see here.....

If all is OK on restarting, and if Kalyway is running OK again, then I suggest that before shutting the PC down again, that you use the opportunity to set up OS X properly, e.g. installing the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 bootloader on the OS X HDD, installing nForceLAN so that you can connect to the Internet, installing the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel using the Voodoo .dmg installer, generating a patched dsdt.aml file....

If all you have done is remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext or rename it to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.orig, then doing so should have no effect on Windows OS at all, especially since it is on a separate HDD.....

Probably with all the BIOS restarts, your BIOS/MOBO has got a bit "confused".......if you shut the PC down and let it "rest" a bit before restarting, you should hopefully be OK.....OS X can read/write to FAT32 volumes and naturally read NTFS volumes but needs NTFS-3G with MacFUSE to write to NTFS volumes.....see here....

For proper USB functioning, the OS X kernel and System.kext versions should match.......both be 9.2.0 with Kalyway install.....see here.....

If all is OK on restarting, and if Kalyway is running OK again, then I suggest that before shutting the PC down again, that you use the opportunity to set up OS X properly, e.g. installing the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 bootloader on the OS X HDD, installing nForceLAN so that you can connect to the Internet, installing the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel using the Voodoo .dmg installer, generating a patched dsdt.aml file....

Sadly, I had to shut down. This morning I started it up and tried to boot with:

-v -x

loaded the kexts and failed, then the

cpus=1 -v platform=X86PC ...

and it too restarted the computer. Tried without any flags etc and it came up as "calibration failed"

Googled around and found if you disable ACPI it passes that error. Disabled ACPI and it passed the error, now I get Kernel Panic with the following at the top of the general kernel panic script:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00431D2D): “Unable to find driver for this platform: \â€ACPI\â€.\nâ€@volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/iokit/
Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1405
Debugger called <panic>
Backtrace, Format – Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x1a78bdd8 : 0x12b0e1 (0x45833c ox1a780c 0x133285 0x0)
0x1a78be28 : 0x431drd (0x49d750 ox1e8f720 0x1ed8b80 0x1a78be58 0x1effc00)
0x1a78be48 : 0x40fd2e (0x1ed8b00 0x1eb86b80 0x1 0x3ea6c0)
0x1a78bea8 : 0x411bc3 (0x1ed8b80 0x1ed8b00 0x1effc80 0x0)
0x1a78bf28 : 0x411427 (0x1ed8b80 0x1effd00 0x8 0xffffffff)
0x1a78bf78 : 0x4100a3 (0x1ed8b80 0x0 0x1a78bfac 0x1)
0x1a78bfc8 : 0x19f3cc (0x1e8f590 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x1eef8b8)
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_1386

major breakthrough:

and typed this

cpus=1 maxmem=2048 platform=ACPI|86PC debug=0x100 -v

booted right into Leopard.

:)

is there a way I don't have to do that each time

edit-new:

got QE/CI working for my 9800 GT :D

USB works with the fix u provided verdant :)

seems to be working perfectly, just a tad slow, how do I get internet though?

@ formula

platform=ACPI|86PC means that the bootloader will try to support ACPI but if it cannot then it will not do so

platform=ACPI (support ACPI )

platform=X86PC (do not support ACPI )

So if you have ACPI disabled in BIOS, then platform=ACPI|86PC functions as platform=X86PC

Install OSx86Tools and click View PCI Device /Vendor ID Button to find out your MOBO device details......hopefully you will be able to install eno's nForceLAN.kext v0.62.13n and then re-enable onboard LAN and so connect to the internet......

It is clear that you have an BIOS ACPI issue and so will need to generate a patched dsdt.aml file as explained previously.....

If you cannot boot with onbaord LAN enabled even with the nForceLAN.kext installed you will need to get a PCI Ethernet card e.g. Netgear GA311, or Apple USB Ethernet Adapter....

EDIT: Are you going to stick with SATA DVDRW or get a IDE DVDRW?.......your answer determines whether or not you can run without needing maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist......

@ formula

platform=ACPI|86PC means that the bootloader will try to support ACPI but if it cannot then it will not do so

platform=ACPI (support ACPI support)

platform=X86PC (do not support ACPI )

So if you have ACPI disabled in BIOS, then platform=ACPI|86PC functions as platform=X86PC

Install OSx86Tools and click View PCI Device /Vendor ID Button to find out your MOBO device details......hopefully you will be able to install eno's nForceLAN.kext v0.62.13n and then re-enable onboard LAN and so connect to the internet......

It is clear that you have an BIOS ACPI issue and so will need to generate a patched dsdt.aml file as explained previously.....

If you cannot boot with onbaord LAN enabled even with the nForceLAN.kext installed you will need to get a PCI Ethernet card e.g. Netgear GA311, or Apple USB Ethernet Adapter....

Okay, I will do that. How can I get my full 4 GB of memory to work? Thanks!

Could You give me a step by step guide how to do the DSDT thing? I'm a noob and I don't want to mess this one up.

I'm sticking with my SATA DVDRW.

Okay, I will do that. How can I get my full 4 GB of memory to work? Thanks!

Could You give me a step by step guide how to do the DSDT thing? I'm a noob and I don't want to mess this one up.

I'm sticking with my SATA DVDRW.

To use 4GB RAM you will need to install slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext ......see link in post #1......but your SATA DVDRW may have problems with it........if so, you will have to install MeDevil's AppleNForceATA Test kext and put maxmem=3072 (i.e. 3GB limit) under Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist......

As for the DSDT file generation:

1. Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader installer from here to install the Chameleon bootloader on your OS X hard drive.....

2. Make sure that you download the same BIOS version .rom or .bin file as you have on your XFX 630i PC, or download for later installation, the latest BIOS version for your MOBO, keeping a separate copy of the current and new BIOS files......

OR you can simply run fassl's DSDT patcher under Kalyway OS X using your current installed BIOS.....

3. Get fassl's DSDT patcher from here (read the readme for instructions) to use on OS X on your XFX Mobo PC or your Dell D610 laptop, or use koalala's ACPI (DSDT) Patcher for BIOS and AML using Windows and .NET Framework installed to generate a patched dsdt.aml file that you should rename to DSDT.aml and then put in the /Extra folder generated by the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader in the hard drive OS X volume....

To use 4GB RAM you will need to install slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext ......see link in post #1......but your SATA DVDRW may have problems with it........if so, you will have to install MeDevil's AppleNForceATA Test kext and put maxmem=3072 (i.e. 3GB limit) under Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist......

As for the DSDT file generation:

1. Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader installer from here to install the Chameleon bootloader on your OS X hard drive.....

2. Make sure that you download the same BIOS version .rom or .bin file as you have on your XFX 630i PC, or download for later installation, the latest BIOS version for your MOBO, keeping a separate copy of the current and new BIOS files......

OR you can simply run fassl's DSDT patcher under Kalyway OS X using your current installed BIOS.....

3. Get fassl's DSDT patcher from here (read the readme for instructions) to use on OS X on your XFX Mobo PC or your Dell D610 laptop, or use koalala's ACPI (DSDT) Patcher for BIOS and AML using Windows and .NET Framework installed to generate a patched dsdt.aml file that you should rename to DSDT.aml and then put in the /Extra folder generated by the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader in the hard drive OS X volume....

Installed chamelon, restarted and when it tries to load OS X it just restarts .. :\

Installed chamelon, restarted and when it tries to load OS X it just restarts .. :\

You still need to boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 platform=ACPI|86PC by just pressing Space bar......you should then see the boot prompt:

Oh okay. Would I have to do that each time?

Hopefully not once you are using a patched DSDT file.....but if that does not work for you, then you could put

-v cpus=1 maxmem=3072 platform=ACPI|86PC

under Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist......

Hmm... okay i'll try that once I'm not working. Thanks once again!

So what stage are you at now with setting up Kalyway OS X.....have you sorted networking and audio yet?

Hi verdant.

How you doing mate?

Is there any updater in progress to the 10.5.8 update before de Snow Leopard?

I was reading the forum and many people had success installing the update in their hackintosh right from the Software Update. I believed it would be more friendly to hackintosh but I really believe that there´s no friendly update when it comes to nForce chipset based mobos. :(

If there´s a simple way to update this, let me know.

I was visiting Mysticus forum but he didn´t seem to be working on this latest update.

Cheers.

No i haven't. I extracted the networking kext and used kExt helper to install but after rebooting it didn't work. no audio either.

Post the device ID output from OSx86Tools.....

There is an installer for nForceLAN.kext.......nForceLAN_0.62.13.pkg.zip......did you run this installer?

Hi verdant.

How you doing mate?

Is there any updater in progress to the 10.5.8 update before de Snow Leopard?

I was reading the forum and many people had success installing the update in their hackintosh right from the Software Update. I believed it would be more friendly to hackintosh but I really believe that there´s no friendly update when it comes to nForce chipset based mobos. :(

If there´s a simple way to update this, let me know.

I was visiting Mysticus forum but he didn´t seem to be working on this latest update.

Cheers.

I am fine but very busy in"real" life and, as usual with "nForce stuff"..... :(

Your business OK in current economic climate?

Mysticus is pretty busy this month with a new job and new house......but I have no doubt he will get on the case with 10.5.8 since he found 10.5.7 to be no improvement in terms of speed and stability over 10.5.6......he like myself have stayed with 10.5.6...... :)

I didn't see any installer.

Look for nForceLAN_0.62.13.pkg.zip here......