Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

No. When I put the disc in, and type -v to boot of the DVD, it loads and just stops (I forgot what it said), something like calibration failed.

See my post above......I will post links to kexts that may fix this problem for you to try......

Okay, I dont know where to find the old APIC and ACPI kexts so I will wait for you to post them.

Thanks.

Here they are.....Try the old kexts first and if they do not work, then the new kexts......

I will try them tommorow. Thank you!

EDIT: Booted into leopard, made an account and all! Seems to be working fine, thanks!

EDIT2: After rebooting I get kernel panic. It says:

unable to find driver for this platform...... ioplatformexpert

I did what you said here

and then I got the old buffers error ;)

new error:

after re-replacing the kexts you provided me, I pass the buffers error and all and get 'Still waiting for root device'.

I also disabled on board lan. Now what.

entered

rd=disk0

shows the screen for a bit then restarts. should I re-install os x ?

What should I do? For the first time I booted into leopard, saw the intro video & made an account :)

Then i restart and BAM doesn't boot up.

Please help!

I will try them tommorow. Thank you!

EDIT: Booted into leopard, made an account and all! Seems to be working fine, thanks!

EDIT2: After rebooting I get kernel panic. It says:

unable to find driver for this platform...... ioplatformexpert

I did what you said here

and then I got the old buffers error :)

new error:

after re-replacing the kexts you provided me, I pass the buffers error and all and get 'Still waiting for root device'.

I also disabled on board lan. Now what.

entered

rd=disk0

shows the screen for a bit then restarts. should I re-install os x ?

What should I do? For the first time I booted into leopard, saw the intro video & made an account :)

Then i restart and BAM doesn't boot up.

Please help!

No need to shout.....I hear your desperation.....

Have you also installed MeDevil's AppleNforceATA_TEST.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and put maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist, if I assume correctly that you now have your SATA DVDRW connected?

Post an image of your boot up screen error messages when re-booting OS X on the HDD with -v -f debug=0x100

No need to shout.....I hear your desperation.....

Have you also installed MeDevil's AppleNforceATA_TEST.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and put maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist, if I assume correctly that you now have your SATA DVDRW connected?

Post an image of your boot up screen error messages when re-booting OS X on the HDD with -v -f debug=0x100

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to shout, to be hoenst I don't remember what I typed last night. Anyway,

Do you want me to put that after install or before install, because Ive read alot of topics that said to mount your ISO blah blah blah using transmac etc.

Also, how do I get my 9800 GT to support QE/CI? And ethernet (i believe its the XFX Ethernet something). Thank you.

I do have my SATA DVDRW connected.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to shout, to be hoenst I don't remember what I typed last night. Anyway,

Do you want me to put that after install or before install, because Ive read alot of topics that said to mount your ISO blah blah blah using transmac etc.

Also, how do I get my 9800 GT to support QE/CI? And ethernet (i believe its the XFX Ethernet something). Thank you.

I do have my SATA DVDRW connected.

Since you are using your SATA DVDRW let us assume you cannot boot from an install DVD yet......so you need to put MeDevil's AppleNforceATA_TEST.kext in your HDD OS X volume /System/Library/Extensions

This you can do using TransMac or MacDrive

and put maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist

This is done via Terminal as shown in an earlier post to you but can be done once OS X is running....for now just boot with -v maxmem=2048 debug=0x100 each time BUT with -v -f maxmem=2048 debug=0x100 after you have added a kext to your HDD OS X volume /System/Library/Extensions.....

Also, I need to know what errors you boot screen (white text on black) throws up after each change to your system.....

Focus on getting basic OS X booting and running OK.......video, network and audio can be sorted later without much problem (hopefully).....

It loads a big list of kexts then restarts.

Do you see any kernel panics as it loads the kexts before it restarts?

Also in your BIOS check for Thermal Management and if present ensure that Thermal Monitor is enabled....either 1 or 2 or 1 & 2......

If you cannot see any kext related errors on the boot screen, you may be forced to reinstall Kalyway but this time also choosing SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC in the Customize menu......

I don't see anything, it happens to fast for me to get a glimpse, and I cannot time it properly for my camera to pick it up.

I'll re-install Kalyway 10.5.2 this time selecting SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC. Just need to know, after installation, what do you want me to boot with/do after it installs.

Thanks.

I don't see anything, it happens to fast for me to get a glimpse, and I cannot time it properly for my camera to pick it up.

I'll re-install Kalyway 10.5.2 this time selecting SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC. Just need to know, after installation, what do you want me to boot with/do after it installs.

Thanks.

Boot the install DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

After installing to the HDD, boot the HDD with -v -f maxmem=2048

If you set up and can run OS X successfully, you can then add MeDevil's AppleNforceATA_TEST.kext in your HDD OS X volume /System/Library/Extensions using Kext Helper b7 and then see if your SATA DVDRW works......

If it does OK but if not you should stick with an IDE DVDRW.....either way, if OS X is running on the HDD OK we can sort the rest out....... :)

Okay, well the install will take about an hour and half so hopefully you are online for the rest of the day :)

I'm also recording the install for documentation & viewing purposes, and if I go past any errors (hopefully not) you can see and correct them.

Thanks once again.

Okay, well the install will take about an hour and half so hopefully you are online for the rest of the day :)

I'm also recording the install for documentation & viewing purposes, and if I go past any errors (hopefully not) you can see and correct them.

Thanks once again.

I will check back in 1 hr 30

Okay so it installed, and I entered -v -f maxmem=2048 to enter, and it loaded all the kexts and restarted >_>

What happens when you boot with -v -f maxmem=2048 nforcekernel.....?

it just restarts after loading kexts

On your PC I presume you have no booting/restart issues with your installed Windows system on a different HDD?

Try booting with graphics mode in BIOS set to integrated graphics and your graphics card removed temporarily, booting with -v maxmem=2048

Also let me know what happens when you boot with -v -x maxmem=2048

This is what I get (removed GFX card)

EFI enhanced bootloader build: ToH
Using SMBIOS table found at 0x000fa2b0
USING ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000f9ac0
Hey we are going backwards ! -> , restart timing

calibration failed with 2 attempts

typed

-v -x maxmem=2048

loads kexts then restarts

This is what I get (removed GFX card)

EFI enhanced bootloader build: ToH
Using SMBIOS table found at 0x000fa2b0
USING ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000f9ac0

calibration failed with 2 attempts

typed

-v -x maxmem=2048

loads kexts then restarts

This error is due to a CPU/BIOS timing issue.......

Try booting with -v platform=X86PC maxmem=2048 cpus=1

Also go to System/Library/Extensions, and scan down the extensions list to check for:

AppleCPUThermo.kext

AppleThermal.kext

and any other any *Thermal* kexts, if present; these should be removed as they can cause CPU overheating under OS X......

Also remove if present:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleHWSensor.kext

AppleEFIRuntime.kext

EDIT UPDATE

Alternatively, if the above does not work....

1. Get a 8GB bootable USB flash drive, partition/format it as a single MBR/HFS+ volume, and then:

A. Install the Kalyway.iso to the USB flash drive by using the OS X Disk Utility Restore function to load the OS X .iso file onto the stick BUT NOT checking "Erase destination"......

B. Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader installer from here to install the Chameleon bootloader on the USB flash drive.....

2. Make sure that you download the same BIOS version .rom or .bin file as you have on your XFX 630i PC, or download for later, install the latest BIOS version for your MOBO, keeping a separate copy of the current and new BIOS files......

3. Get fassl's DSDT patcher from here to use on OS X on your XFX Mobo PC or your Dell D610 laptop or use koalala's ACPI (DSDT) Patcher for BIOS and AML using Windows and .NET Framework installed to generate a patched dsdt.aml file that you should rename to DSDT.aml and then put in the /Extra folder generated by the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader in the USB flash drive OS X volume....

4. Restart your computer with the USB in a USB port. Go to the BIOS Boot menu using the correct key, e.g. Esc, F8, F2, F11 or F12 dpending on your MOBO BIOS (the boot up screen should tell you)..... then, select USB from the list of bootable devices...... or, you can just make it the 1st Boot device in your BIOS......and boot with -v maxmem=2048.....

5. Use Disk Utility to clone the OS X volume on the USB flash drive to your HDD MBR/HFS+ volume....and then run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 bootloader installer to install the Chameleon bootloader on the HDD.....

6. If you set up and can run OS X successfully this way, you can then add MeDevil's AppleNforceATA_TEST.kext in your HDD OS X volume /System/Library/Extensions using Kext Helper b7 and then see if your SATA DVDRW works......

If it does OK but if not you should stick with an IDE DVDRW.....either way, if OS X is running on the HDD OK we can sort the rest out....... :D

Did what you said (the first part)

It seemed like it was going to work, saw all the things start (like loginwindow etc) then I get kernel panic.

For the second part, I don't really want to mess with my BIOS etc. My hardware is very expensive and i can't really afford to buy it again.

I recorded the kernel panic (didn't want to type it out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdn6W8EElE

Did what you said (the first part)

It seemed like it was going to work, saw all the things start (like loginwindow etc) then I get kernel panic.

For the second part, I don't really want to mess with my BIOS etc. My hardware is very expensive and i can't really afford to buy it again.

I recorded the kernel panic (didn't want to type it out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdn6W8EElE

1. To hopefully resolve the kernel panic do the following:

Run in single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the Darwin "boot:" prompt and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for ":/ root#" to re-appear.

mount -uw /
  rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext
  exit

NOTE:

"rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext " should all be in one line (obviously without quotes.....

It looks as if your BIOS is "bad" as regards its ACPI - APIC subsystem......hence the recommendation to use a patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra......for more info on this matter see my post #1 in this thread......

2. You do not need to update the current BIOS on your MOBO if you do not want to, you just have to download a copy of the same version BIOS file from the XFX website......and then generate the patched dsdt.aml file from that copy.......

Chameleon looks for the file named DSDT.aml in /Extra and if it finds one it overrides the DSDT.aml file loaded up by your BIOS with contents of this file......your current BIOS remains unaltered......

You do not need to update the current BIOS on your MOBO if you do not want to, you just have to download a copy of the same version BIOS file from the XFX website......and then generate the patched dsdt.aml file from that copy.......

Chameleon which looks for the file named /DSDT.aml and if it finds one it overrides the DSDT.aml file loaded up by your BIOS with contents of this file......your current BIOS remains unaltered......

Okay, I'll try that tommorow then, seems like it's going to take a few hours.

Is there any other solution I could try today?

Also a few questions:

1. Get a 8GB bootable USB flash drive, partition/format it as a single MBR/HFS+ volume, and then:

how do i partition/format it as HFS+, booting it with the leopard disc correct?

A. Install the Kalyway.iso to the USB flash drive by using the OS X Disk Utility Restore function to load the OS X .iso file onto the stick BUT NOT checking "Erase destination"......

How would I go about this? Boot from my install OS X or th rough the DVD?

Okay, I'll try that tommorow then, seems like it's going to take a few hours.

Is there any other solution I could try today?

Also a few questions:

how do i partition/format it as HFS+, booting it with the leopard disc correct?

How would I go about this? Boot from my install OS X or th rough the DVD?

Try procedure in post above for the kernel panic.....

You can partition/format the USB flash drive as MBR/HFS+ using Disk Utility in OS X on your Dell D610......and

Install the Kalyway.iso to the USB flash drive by using the OS X Disk Utility Restore function to load the OS X .iso file onto the stick BUT NOT checking "Erase destination" again using Disk Utility in OS X on your Dell D610......

Try procedure in post above for the kernel panic.....

You can partition/format the USB flash drive as MBR/HFS+ using Disk Utility in OS X on your Dell D610......and

Install the Kalyway.iso to the USB flash drive by using the OS X Disk Utility Restore function to load the OS X .iso file onto the stick BUT NOT checking "Erase destination" again using Disk Utility in OS X on your Dell D610......

I'll try the procedure you posted. Thanks.

Just did what you said, tried to boot into -s but it just restarted. Then i tried

-s platform=X86PC maxmem=2048 cpus=1

and the same thing happened.