NVIDIA's ION Platform and OS X

275 posts in this topic

@Shoarthing, I found a way to encode/decode between base64 and binary. It seemed to work best if I pasted the base64 nvcap into Hexedit, saved it as a .b64 file, and then in terminal typed

openssl base64 -d -in yournvcap.b64 -out yournvcap.bin

. Then in the bin file should be the binary nvcap. If you want to go the other way you do

openssl base64 -in yournvcap.bin -out yournvcap.b64

. I think that should work pretty well.

@Shoarthing, I found a way to encode/decode between base64 and binary. It seemed to work best if I pasted the base64 nvcap into Hexedit, saved it as a .b64 file, and then in terminal typed
openssl base64 -d -in yournvcap.b64 -out yournvcap.bin

. Then in the bin file should be the binary nvcap. If you want to go the other way you do

openssl base64 -in yournvcap.bin -out yournvcap.b64

. I think that should work pretty well.

. . o thank you . . I puzzled away at this with no results whatsoever.

Yes, I also found that you could bin the NVRAM entry . . . it was NVCAP issues that forced me to stop using the dsdt for graphics

Have you tried the new binhacked 10.6.2 kernel? - it really is fascinatingly different in how the logical HTT 'cores' are used. I really didn't expect to see any qualitative [as opposed to quantitative] effect from what I assume to be Grand Central so soon. I've been using SMP boxes [& then multicore thingies] for a very long time now & never seen anything like this.

I just tried the new EvOreboot.kext which is supposedly the "new" OpenHaltRestart, and now I can restart! So basically, I have a perfectly working Zotac IONITX, except for my weird issue with my Logitech USB mouse. It is a usb/ps2 mouse, so I don't know if that would mean anything. Should I install voodoo ps2 even if I'm using it on usb? I've never had to do that on my other hack with the same mouse and that would seem weird. I just tried it with a usb Apple Mighty Mouse and it worked fine, so it has to have something to do with the Logitech mouse it would seem. Other than that all good though!!! Yeah! Maybe I will make a guide before Shoarthing...

One other thing: I was going to try to do the HPET patch in my dsdt, but it already has the two lines DSDTSE says to add, and it definitely does not work without a disabler.

I just tried the new EvOreboot.kext which is supposedly the "new" OpenHaltRestart, and now I can restart! So basically, I have a perfectly working Zotac IONITX, except for my weird issue with my Logitech USB mouse. It is a usb/ps2 mouse, so I don't know if that would mean anything. Should I install voodoo ps2 even if I'm using it on usb? I've never had to do that on my other hack with the same mouse and that would seem weird. I just tried it with a usb Apple Mighty Mouse and it worked fine, so it has to have something to do with the Logitech mouse it would seem. Other than that all good though!!! Yeah! Maybe I will make a guide before Shoarthing...

One other thing: I was going to try to do the HPET patch in my dsdt, but it already has the two lines DSDTSE says to add, and it definitely does not work without a disabler.

. . PS/2 mouse loaded = losing irq 12.

EvOReboot has been working fine here since release - but have shutdown issues due to a Bluetooth oddity.

. . PS/2 mouse loaded = losing irq 12.

Do you think there's anything I can do about that?

Also, software update is telling me there aren't any updates and I'm running 10.6.1. Are they detecting the cpu now? Should I change my smbios.plist? It worked on my quad core, and it's smbios.plist is edited to show PowerMac3,5 (Quicksilver G4 Case). I guess I'll just download it.

[sOLVED!!] I had renamed instead of copying it, so Software Update couldn't find it in order to determine what updates I needed.

I want to know how to add my display to the dsdt though, or at least how I can inject properties for it. They need to show up in .../NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/display0/AppleDisplay.

I'm attaching my latest dsdt, which is error and warning free as well.

Hi banini_jeque! Thank your for your dsdt, it helped me a lot.

I compared your version, wrc4's, my original dsdt and 'optimized' one (parsed with dsdtpatchergui_1.0).

They are quite different, but here's what I figured out.

1. All custom DSDTs seem to remove CPU aliases in Scope(_PR). This is good.

2. I also suggest you add Name (_PSS, Package() { Package (0x06) { 1596, 64524, 10, 10, 0xc1b, 0xc1b } } ) } for each CPU in _PR scope. This way you can remove Disabler.kext, since apple's powermanagement KEXT will now work fine. (I got these magic numbers from P-state calculator + voodoopower.kext).

3. I noticed the following change: operationRegion: 0x6ffae064 (was "0xbffae064"). What value is in your original DSDT? Why did you change it?

4. "if (_OSI("Windows 2006"))" is changed into "if(LOr (_OSI ("Darwin"), _OSI("Windows 2006")))"

5. Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized) is added after OSYS, before _SB

6. Device(HDAC) changed into Device(HDEF)

7. Added _DSM for HDEF

8. Changed HDAC into HDEF for _L15

9. PWRB changed from _HID into _CID

10. operationRegion (HDCP): similar operationRegion change: 0xbffae0e4 to 0x6ffae0e4. Why?..

11. _DSM for the videocard seems to improve videocard detection. I no longer need VBIOS, GraphicsEnabler or nvidia.rom. That's great!

12. RBPE, RWPE, RDPE, WBPE, WWPE, WDPE, RWDP Mute: 0x03e8 is changed into 0xffff. What does this mean?..

I also installed 10.6.2 update + patched 10.6.2 kernel, enabled HyperThreading (4 CPUs are active in OS X).

My current configuration runs flawlessly with the following kexts and settings:

* fakesmc

* openhaltrestart

* platformuuid

* no need for vbios, graphicsenabler, nvidia.rom

* EthernetBuiltIn = yes

* graphics card, sound, wifi are recognized and working out of the box

* sleep mode works fine (both from the menu and by pushing power button)

I'm having the following (minor) problems:

* during start-up I'm seeing this error: efi rom did not publish hda-gfx associative property

(and sound output is disabled). LineOut (1/8), Ext.Mic (1/8) and SPDIF are shown in the device list.

* VRAM is detected as '256 Mb', while it is set to 512 in BIOS. If I change BIOS settings to 256 Mb, system refuses to wake-up after sleep.

* os x does not detect dvi/hdmi device switching

2. I also suggest you add Name (_PSS, Package() { Package (0x06) { 1596, 64524, 10, 10, 0xc1b, 0xc1b } } ) } for each CPU in _PR scope. This way you can remove Disabler.kext, since apple's powermanagement KEXT will now work fine. (I got these magic numbers from P-state calculator + voodoopower.kext).

Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

11. _DSM for the videocard seems to improve videocard detection. I no longer need VBIOS, GraphicsEnabler or nvidia.rom. That's great!

I don't quite follow this part.

12. RBPE, RWPE, RDPE, WBPE, WWPE, WDPE, RWDP Mute: 0x03e8 is changed into 0xffff. What does this mean?..

This gets rid of some warnings when you compile. Other than that I have no idea what it does.

I have that same efi rom error when I start up.

For sound to really work you probably need the patched AppleHDA.kext or whatever for the 662. You can find it in the Zotac 9300 Wi-Fi guide thread.

dvi/hdmi switching might work better with GraphicsEnabler? I don't know.

eugene2k- Hi:

I understand banni_jeque [sensibly] ran a diff between his dsdt & one I made for wrc4, dumped in Linux, with I know not how much RAM installed. He probably included all the mods/differences, assuming all were mods.

3. I noticed the following change: operationRegion: 0x6ffae064 (was "0xbffae064"). What value is in your original DSDT? Why did you change it?

AFAIK this can be due to differing amounts of installed RAM

4. "if (_OSI("Windows 2006"))" is changed into "if(LOr (_OSI ("Darwin"), _OSI("Windows 2006")))"
. . this comes from the wrc4 dsdt I modded [it is my style]
5. Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized) is added after OSYS, before _SB
. . this probably comes from the wrc4 dsdt I modded [it is my style]
6. Device(HDAC) changed into Device(HDEF)
. . a standard hack; but in this case . . this probably comes from the wrc4 dsdt I modded
7. Added _DSM for HDEF
. . this comes from the wrc4 dsdt I modded: you need this to use the ALC662.kext [attached below] in /E/E to give full onboard sound - no patching is needed to AppleHDA & this is nothing to do with minihack's work patching AppleHDA [which works fine] - he & I discussed this stuff; but I drew on other folks' work for the ION-ITX solution
8. Changed HDAC into HDEF for _L15
. . standard hack; but this probably comes from the wrc4 dsdt
9. PWRB changed from _HID into _CID
. . interesting: will check this out
10. operationRegion (HDCP): similar operationRegion change: 0xbffae0e4 to 0x6ffae0e4. Why?..
AFAIK this can be due to differing amounts of installed RAM
. . this probably comes from work minihack did for the Zotac 9300, in turn probably drawn from work on the MCP7x by Diabolik & FrodoKenny - key post is here . . . there are hassles - as you have found. Mushishi [who also has an ION-ITX & knows what he's doing] also uses dsdt injection - worth asking him what outputs work & whether switching is functional.
. . removes iasl warnings - see above link to FrodoKenny's post

I also installed 10.6.2 update + patched 10.6.2 kernel, enabled HyperThreading (4 CPUs are active in OS X).

My current configuration runs flawlessly with the following kexts and settings:

* fakesmc

* openhaltrestart

* platformuuid

* no need for vbios, graphicsenabler, nvidia.rom

* EthernetBuiltIn = yes

* graphics card, sound, wifi are recognized and working out of the box

* sleep mode works fine (both from the menu and by pushing power button)

- good to hear you've got this so well sorted so quickly & looks like banni_jeque's PWR button fix has really useful effects. I do not use any UUID kext & have no Time Machine errors, so suggest you drop it & see what happens - check Console for UUID error 35 messages

I'm having the following (minor) problems:

* during start-up I'm seeing this error: efi rom did not publish hda-gfx associative property

(and sound output is disabled). LineOut (1/8), Ext.Mic (1/8) and SPDIF are shown in the device list.

. . install the attached ALC662.kext into /E/E & rebuild caches - remove any 3rd-party sound solution like VoodooHDA
* VRAM is detected as '256 Mb', while it is set to 512 in BIOS. If I change BIOS settings to 256 Mb, system refuses to wake-up after sleep.

* os x does not detect dvi/hdmi device switching

. . I don't trust injecting video from the dsdt for this mobo [i used it on this mobo when first hacking it]. AFAIK banni-jeque hacked his NVCAP - after a fair bit of fiddling & diagnosis - to work for (effectively) the slightly unusual config of DVI2+VGA

As you know, Apple's NV drivers support 2 outputs only [2 at any one time]. The Zotac has (effectively) DVI1+DVI2+VGA . . & you will have noticed yet another slightly confusing section in its BIOS, in the Southbridge section, for setting primary display.

I had endless hassles getting the thing to work properly from dsdt injection; with the primary hassle being a 'blue screen' [solid peaceful blue thing] on resume of HDMI after long pauses or focus-switch to another dislay.

I'd suggest we may well need an appropriate value for NVPM to get sleep to work fully with this iGPU - there's a way to inject it independent of the iGPU Scope.

After a lot of experimentation I found Cham 658/PC-EFI 10.5's version of graphicsenabler worked better for me than dsdt injection or nvenabler64; but YMMV.

. . thanks for an interesting post.

Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

These numbers are for my Atom 330. Other Atoms will need different numbers. I put them into the processor {} block.

Here's an example: http://s2.enemy.org/~zaunmayc/speedstep8.04.html

You can get these numbers by installing voodoopower.kext + "p-states calculator.app".

(After that it is safe to uninstall voodoopower.kext)

..._DSM...

I don't quite follow this part.

I mean that after I added _DSM records from your DSDT, the card got recognized without any problems, and I turned off GraphicsEnabler etc..

Hi Shoarthing,

Thanks for your detailed answer!

[...] fakesmc + iStat pro [...]

By the way, where can I get this fakesmc build?

. . this comes from the wrc4 dsdt I modded: you need this to use the ALC662.kext [attached below] in /E/E to give full onboard sound - no patching is needed to AppleHDA & this is nothing to do with minihack's work patching AppleHDA

Thanks! It works! I will try to merger this information into DSDT.

- good to hear you've got this so well sorted so quickly & looks like banni_jeque's PWR button fix has really useful effects. I do not use any UUID kext & have no Time Machine errors, so suggest you drop it & see what happens - check Console for UUID error 35 messages

Oh, really. No need for PlatformUUID.kext anymore. Thanks.

... I don't trust injecting video from the dsdt for this mobo [i used it on this mobo when first hacking it]. AFAIK banni-jeque hacked his NVCAP - after a fair bit of fiddling & diagnosis - to work for (effectively) the slightly unusual config of DVI2+VGA

As you know, Apple's NV drivers support 2 outputs only [2 at any one time]. The Zotac has (effectively) DVI1+DVI2+VGA . . & you will have noticed yet another slightly confusing section in its BIOS, in the Southbridge section, for setting primary display.

I had endless hassles getting the thing to work properly from dsdt injection; with the primary hassle being a 'blue screen' [solid peaceful blue thing] on resume of HDMI after long pauses or focus-switch to another dislay.

I'd suggest we may well need an appropriate value for NVPM to get sleep to work fully with this iGPU - there's a way to inject it independent of the iGPU Scope.

After a lot of experimentation I found Cham 658/PC-EFI 10.5's version of graphicsenabler worked better for me than dsdt injection or nvenabler64; but YMMV.

GraphicsEnabler shows my video as 'Unknown'. (I'm using PC-EFI 10.5 /boot).

By the way, there's at least one more problem with PC-EFI 10.5 /boot Chameleon. It does not support 4Gb of memory when waking up after deep sleep. (This is a known issue, http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,743.0.html but no solution still). I wonder where can I get 10.5 sources (they are not the same as rc3) in order to fix this issue myself. I could also fix the 'unknown' identification of the video card.

By the way, where can I get this fakesmc build?
. . here - author provides a diff

! It works! I will try to merger this information into DSDT.
. . . the small dsdt entry just defines names plus basic pin-layout. ALC662.kext then essentially bridges this to AppleHDA

GraphicsEnabler shows my video as 'Unknown'. (I'm using PC-EFI 10.5 /boot).
. . . yes; for Profiler to show your GraphicsEnabler video like this:

ion9400mnameonly.png

. . . . . insert this (for cosmetics) in the IXVE.IGPU Scope:

{
	Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	{
		Store (Package (0x02)
			{
				"model", 
				Buffer (0x11)
				{
					"NVIDIA ION 9400M"
				} 
			}, Local0)
		DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		Return (Local0)
	}
}

. . IME for full functionality you need these entries in com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>VBIOS</key>
<string>Yes</string>

. . & also (this may not be needed; but makes double-sure the full image is written to memory) to have extracted the 9400's ROM & install it to root named:

NVIDIA.ROM

By the way, there's at least one more problem with PC-EFI 10.5 /boot Chameleon. It does not support 4Gb of memory when waking up after deep sleep. (This is a known issue, http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,743.0.html but no solution still).
. . . the Atom 330 (like all Atoms) is deliberately restricted to 32bit memory addressing, then the Zotac's BIOS steals another 512MB (if the max 4GB is installed), so Chameleon's 4GB/deep sleep issue should be irrelevant.

I wonder where can I get 10.5 sources (they are not the same as rc3) in order to fix this issue myself. I could also fix the 'unknown' identification of the video card.
. . you don't need to fix the 'unknown' ID in PC-EFI [see above]; but in any event the sources are published by netkas

...fakesmc...

Thank you! I will try to build it today.

. . . the small dsdt entry just defines names plus basic pin-layout. ALC662.kext then essentially bridges this to AppleHDA

Yep, I figured that already. So, it seems there's no way to make it work without an injector. Let it be :)

. . . yes; for Profiler to show your GraphicsEnabler video like this...

Thanks. I already figured this out and made a lot of similar changes into DSDT (and hope to publish my findings soon). (Including Ethernet and so on).

. . IME for full functionality you need these entries in com.apple.Boot.plist

I'm using a mixed approach. 1) I recompiled Chameleon, so, its code has the correct name now. 2) I updated DSDT similar to the way you posted 3) and I still have 'GraphicsEnabler'

. . . the Atom 330 (like all Atoms) is deliberately restricted to 32bit memory addressing, then the Zotac's BIOS steals another 512MB (if the max 4GB is installed), so Chameleon's 4GB/deep sleep issue should be irrelevant.

But, unfortunately, it is. I checked sleepimage file size, and it is more than 4Gb. When Chameleon tries to restore from it, due to (long) typecast it thinks file size is 0. I fixed this.

. . you don't need to fix the 'unknown' ID in PC-EFI [see above]; but in any event the sources are published by netkas

It took me a while to find them, too, but I also found some more interesting patches and fixes, such as 'USBLegacyOff' fix (it turns off "USB Legacy" mode before launching the kernel, thus, it is possible to have USB2.0 HiSpeed + USB Legacy options enabled).

Thank you once again for your support. I hope I can share all my tweaks soon.

. . good news.

If you haven't done it already; a working Ethernet treatment is to find its Scope, then add:

{
	Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	{
		Store (Package (0x04)
			{
				"model", 
				Buffer (0x20)
				{
					"NVIDIA MCP79-1 Gigabit Ethernet"
				}, 

"built-in", 
				Buffer (One)
				{
					0x00
				}
			}, Local0)
		DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		Return (Local0)
	}
}

I had a similar fix for the mini-pcie interface; but stalled at sorting notification/ejection via EHC1 port 2 [? - Apple appear to use 2; Delll port 4].

Interested to see your recompile of PC-EFI 10.5 & other work

Edit: 'USBLegacyOff' looks potentially v useful for this platform.

Thank you for your "Test" !

Do you think this can work with the SingleCore Revo, too ?

Can i install SL on an external USB drive to test this ?

Thank you again !

I have an Acer Revo R3610 with a dual-core 330 cpu. The Atom cpu is recognised as a C2D. \o/

I installed mine with Chameleon with a bootable usb stick. Installed using pfix in place of a dsdt, just to get things going. I managed it two ways:

First on an external USB drive. I had to set SATA to IDE mode in the bios

Secondly on an external eSATA drive. I had to set SATA to AHCI mode in the bios.

Things that work:

SATA and ethernet out of the box.

Sleep. Wakes on mouse movement, no need to hit the power button unlike Linux.

Things that sort of work:

Display. I am outputting to a TV via HDMI. It is a european HD PAL TV with 50/100MHz inbuilt, however the display defaults to 1080p NTSC 60Mhz. Any other setting results in a blue screen.

Graphics are accelerated but the gpu is not recognised as a 9400M.

Things that don't:

USB (only if devices plugged in at boot).

WiFi - the Atheros AR5006x card is recognised as an ethernet device, but no driver loaded. BCM4321 is on order.

Offloading of H.264 encoded media to the gpu does not seem to work, which is kind of the point of the ION platform. :whistle:

Hyperthreading - have to disable in the bios or SL kps on boot. The single core 230 is not seemingly affected.

Kexts used to boot:

Graphics Enabler in lieu of an EFI string

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (might not be needed)

fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext (might not be needed)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

Next stage is to crank out a dsdt and see how far that takes me.

Thank you for your "Test" !

Do you think this can work with the SingleCore Revo, too ?

Can i install SL on an external USB drive to test this ?

Thank you again !

I see no reason why not. I managed to install mine to both external USB and eSATA, so just adjust your bios settings accordingly.

I am currently having some trouble extracting the dsdt under Karmic. It is complaining about not being able to read the table headers. Need to get this done because USB is unreliable under OSX and pfix at the moment. It really needs some EHCI adjustents in the dsdt for stability's sake. Lack of sound is also a bummer at present.

Hey just want to tell you hat i have 10.6.1 running on the Acer RevoR3600 !

i have done it with Empire EFI and everything works fine except sound output,,.

With NVenabler at full hd, and wireless with a macpro wirelesscard.

Go give it a try ! thanks everyone,, hope my macbook still likes me after thatt :lol:)

btw: usbseems to be okay fo me (20 gig in 10 minutes)

Go give it a try ! thanks everyone,, hope my macbook still likes me after thatt :pirate2:)

I managed the Update to 10.6.2 and could enable HTT (the virtual second core on atom 230) now !

Only 2 Problems remain:

-No Quartz Extreme (any ideas for 9400m ?) EDIT: QE works with Chameleon and the Nvidia String in boot.plist...

-No Sound via HDMI cable (need the mic output i guess) -> EDIT: Audio is ALC662, will try that now...

Can anybody help me out with the Graphics ?

-No Quartz Extreme (any ideas for 9400m ?) EDIT: QE works with Chameleon and the Nvidia String in boot.plist...

By the way, could you please tell the exact nvidia string you have used?

-No Sound via HDMI cable (need the mic output i guess) -> EDIT: Audio is ALC662, will try that now...

I'm afraid HDMI audio is not supported at all. Perhaps, it is necessary to write our own driver, or check the linux community.. I haven't investigated HDMI audio support of ION-based cards yet, but it is really worth trying.

Hi !

I just wrote "Graphics Enabler" "Yes" to boot.plist (Chameleon config) to enable QE. Unfortunately, after changing the resolution, the screen got blue and also after a reboot - Only a blue screen.

I had to take a VGA cable and take off the HDMI completely to get the desktop back. But, also with VGA, i can drive 1080p with QE enabled, which is really fantastic !

I saw that people are working on full HDMI ION Support on the NVenabler forums, maybe they get it done soon so that analog VGA is not nedded.

Audio can be done with VoodooHDA.kext - Also only Analog, as i said you have to remove HDMI :)

No more Problems with R3600 till now...

By the way, could you please tell the exact nvidia string you have used?

I'm afraid HDMI audio is not supported at all. Perhaps, it is necessary to write our own driver, or check the linux community.. I haven't investigated HDMI audio support of ION-based cards yet, but it is really worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi derko,

which version of Empire EFI did you use? I couldn't get it to work with my Packard Bell imax mini which essentially is the same hardware as the Revo (used an external USB DVD-Drive and my SL DVD was loaded as unselectable HDD, changing SATA settings in BIOS to IDE didn't help also).

I tried Version 1.07 ('cause for 1.08 it says that nForce support was removed) and also the first version which is supposed to have nForce support 1.04.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Juergen

Go give it a try ! thanks everyone,, hope my macbook still likes me after thatt ;) )

Hi derko,

which version of Empire EFI did you use? I couldn't get it to work with my Packard Bell imax mini which essentially is the same hardware as the Revo (used an external USB DVD-Drive and my SL DVD was loaded as unselectable HDD, changing SATA settings in BIOS to IDE didn't help also).

I tried Version 1.07 ('cause for 1.08 it says that nForce support was removed) and also the first version which is supposed to have nForce support 1.04.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Juergen

Hi !

I dont´have a real clue but with Empire 1.7b

You have to enable AHCI (SATA Mode) in your Bios to prevent Kernel Panics.

When you are in the Empire Bootmenu, remove your Empire DVD and insert the SL DVD. Then press the "Return Key" to refresh the device list. If you see the SL DVD, select it and there you go !

Alternative solution could be: (I did it this way, too)

Copy your SL DVD to an external HFS+ Harddrive.

Do you own a Mac ? Then try this:

1) Go to "Festplatten Dienstprogramm" and clone your DVD to your external HDD with "Wiederherstellen"

I Think you can also do this with some Windows or Linux Tools, but i did not try it...

2) Boot Empire and select the new Partition to Boot the cloned Install DVD copy

3) See if it starts the installation...

Good Luck !

• 4 weeks later...