Marvell Yukon 8001 - the driver

m.musashi

409 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just tried the driver on my Asus P4P800 SE but when I try to edit the network prefs an error occurs stating "The application System Preferences quit unexpectedly."

As requested in the first post I ran dmesg the line with skgeosx only says: Ethernet adress 00:13:d4:fa:60:8a

Well this acutally is the MAC adress of my lan card but the system profile still shows no network hardware.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

this is wierd but i've got a kernel panic when trying to use this driver.

it looks like it breaks at line:

if ( (pciNub = OSDynamicCast(IOPCIDevice, provider)) == 0)

after that i got the error message and kernel panic

all i know is that linux reports the card as marvell yukon, and the vendor and product id are matching too

• 2 weeks later...

I got this driver to work on my PCI D-Link DGE-530T but had to add another PCI Id (0x1186 0x4B01). It seems to work fine except it does not seem to support jumbo frames (MTU 9000). The same card in same machine dual booting to linux DOES support jumbo frames just fine.

Thanks for your work on the driver! I finally got my G4 Mac (B&W AGP) to see and configure the D-Link DGE-530T. However, I seem to be getting a problem when I actually try to use it.

skgeosx::probe(pci1186,4b01)

skgeosx::start(pci1186,4b01) <1>

skgeosx: SKGE for OSx86 v0.2d ---- M.Musashi ©2006

skgeosx: VendorID:1186 DeviceID:4b01 Rev:11

skgeosx: board is Yukon-Lite

skgeosx: Enabled!

skgeosx: setMulticastMode on

skgeosx: setMulticastMode off

skgeosx: link speed now 100 Mbps, full duplex.

skgeosx ERR: ouputPacket() stall 125:125:0

And yes, I get the same error whether I hook it up to my 100Base-T hub or my new Apple Extreme with Gigabit Ethernet (except, of course, that it shows that it connects at Gigabit speed!)... here is a partial from that one...

skgeosx: Enabled!

skgeosx: setMulticastMode off

skgeosx: link speed now 1000 Mbps, full duplex.

skgeosx ERR: ouputPacket() stall 126:126:0

In both cases, the Network status shows that I'm connected to the "Internet", but Google Notifier, for instance, says "no Internet connection".

Any ideas? What other information might you need to help?

Cheers,

Tak

I found the performance of this driver to be much better than forcedeth for some reason. My motherboard has both the nForce4 GbE card and the Marvell. Running iperf tests, the Marvell beats it hands down with double throughput. I don't know if it's the driver or the card itself, but with both the bottle neck is the CPU, 100% CPU usage by kernel when testing.

Well...

I'm running an Abit AV8 mobo... OSX didn't even know i had built-in ethernet until i installed this driver (after editing it to the correct devid/vendid for my device).

So surely this means the driver has worked? Because now OSX says built in ethernet is there.

Only problem is, I still can't connect to my router. I've tried letting it assign an ip automatically but it gives me a total random ip which is nothing to do with my router.

When I add the ip manually (the correct ip)... still nothing.

any ideas? has the driver definately installed and osx just doesnt like my netgear router?

Danny x

Ok firstly big thanks as it worked perfectly on my 10.4.8 JAS version with a D-Link DGE-530T. IT took me three attemtps to get it just right but I was a total noob to Mac systems this morning and feel proud that I manged to instal it and get it all working with just doing a bit of research and reading.

Anyway this is a brief guide for the noobs out there (apologies if there is already a dumbed down version in this link but I couldn't find it easily).

1. Download the skge.kext.zip from Page 1 of this topis (its at the bottom of the first post)
  2. Put it on a flash drive, disk, cd, whatever you need to take it over to the Mac, don't unzip it leave it be.
  3. once on you mac open the device which the .zip is sitting on and right click there is an option to unzip in amungst the submenu.
  4. once unziped you should have a new icon called skge.kext now drag that to your desktop.
  5. open it up and keep going through the folders till you come across info.plist right click and select open with.
  6. there is a scroll menu and right at the bottom isa text editor, open it with that.
  7. about 2/3 of the way down the meaning less text (to us noobs anyway) you will see a sequence of numbers a letters that look like this: 0x432011AB highlight it and replace it with:
    • D-Link DGE-530T: 0x4C001186
    • Syskonnect SK 9521 v2.0: 0X43201148
    • 3COM 3C940: 0x432011AB
    • ASUS P4P800 Deluxe: 0x432011AB

[*]Now make sure its correct and that you haven't accidently deleted anything around the edges, like the > or < once checked click File | Save then exit the editor

[*]Now you need to open up a program called Terminal (located at Go | Utilities then scroll down and double click Terminal)

[*]you will see a prompt which will be something like: Billy-Bobs-Computer:~ Billy$

[*]at the prompt type: sudo -s <password> (If you set a password for root/admin at installation, that is the password you put in here, if you didn't leave it blank). Press ENTER.

[*]You should now see a prompt like this: Billy-Bobs-Computer:~ root#

[*]now type: cp -R (drag the file skge.kext from the desktop onto the terminal window, make sure you insert a space AFTER the -R AND delete the / after .kext) /System/Library/Extensions/

[*]So the whole line should look something like this:

• cp -R /Users/Billy/Desktop/skge.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

[*]That copes the skge.kext to the correct location for your drivers.

[*]next type: rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

[*]and then: rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

[*]last but not least type: reboot

[*]now when you go to the System Pref and click on network, your adapter should show and your internet access be on.

I hope that I have made that nice and easy for you all and not just ocnfused the heck outta things. Its ment for guys, like me, that have little experience with Mac software and are trying it out first time.

Thanks for all the resources and to the orginal writers m.musashi and cyclonefr

:)

I think I've found a lockup in this driver. It can be reproduced fairly easily by high throughput and simulatenously putting more load on the kernel, for instance, running an extended iperf test and then copying a large directory around or even just rsync'ng a large directory to another server. It locks up OSX completely, neither keyboard nor network reponds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have recompiled the skge driver for Leopard (10.5.0). If you just want the driver grab leo_skge.zip below.

To get this driver to work for me initially I needed to manually set my IP address (and Subnet, Router).

After initially setting to manual the network connection worked. Then I could swap back to DHCP for normal use. This must create a file or some setting somewhere that I was missing.

I am not supporting this. I just provided this so others with leopard do not need to install the developer tools.

[EDIT]

I have had the driver cause kernel panics occasionally on startup. This seems to go away after you reboot from that panic. It does not seem to effect the card once the system is loaded. I am looking into it. If anyone sees a problem in the code please fix it and repost the result or inform m.musashi (if she/he is still interested...) and myself. Thanks

[/EDIT]

Changes:

The only change to the source is that it has had the Belkin ID (500511AB) added. The source, skge_02d_leo.zip has the driver both built as debug and as release for if you are having problems and know what you are doing.

Built against:

$ uname -a

Darwin zeus.local 9.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct 9 21:35:55 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Credit:

This is the driver by m.musashi

From: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=100823

Good luck all.

leo_skge.zip

skge_02d_leo.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Just downloaded .2d for my onboard yukon on a Asus P5P800 and it worked straight away. Followed instructions in 1st post, rebooted and now i'm posting from osx ;)

Thank you very much!

Could you please write exactly what you did, because I didn't succeed it.It writes reinstall the driver, it can't use it.

GERGÖ:

I have done it twice now and both times succesfull. 2nd time as I broke osx with my lack of knowledge of it and attempting to install my video card, still without success :)

After fresh install of osx I downloaded these drivers. I placed them onto the desktop then I opened up a terminal. Then I typed:

sudo -s

(enter your password)

cp -R (drag and drop the file and remove the / at the end) /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

When system boots back up, everything works perfect. I did not have to do a single other thing to get this to work. All I can suggest is to make sure your vendor and device ID actually match. Maybe you have a different revision ? 11AB & 4320 is what mine are.

****EDIT - your sig says you have a different mobo than mine ? If so then that maybe why...

This info isnt for this exact card but this thread was my first find in a google search on my Windows PC while trying to get the Mac PC to get online and is how I found Insanelymac.com so I must credit this thread for my success.

Ok I have success!!!

I have looked at many guides here on Insanelymac of how to do this and finally found a formula that works for me.

First off I am a noob to Mac the first thing that caught my eye was Bootcamp since its intro I have often thought cant the reverse be done? I have another rig running Solaris 10 and that is all new to me aswell.

Anyhow I have allot of threads & users here to thank for my success. Putting togethor 2 days of "CRASH" InsanelyMac reading/learning into this entire O.S. I have put togethor a way to get this rig online.

I wont go into the elementary steps that I had to learn but will simply list the process I used.

This is using the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard "flat" install with an 88E8050 Ethernet adapter.

If you have tried to get this working with no luck please "FIRST" do a clean Leopard install then simply apply this fix below you will be online in a matter of minutes.

you will have to edit the Info.plist inside the AppleYukon2.kext which is inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

Change the following:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

TO:

<key>Yukon-88E8050</key>

Change the following:

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>

TO:

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8050</string>

Change the following: (Most important)

<string>0x436211AB</string>

TO:

<string>0x436111AB</string>

Repair Permissions then reboot.

load ethernet settings change to off then dhcp auto might need a restart of pc not the router etc... even though it says restart the router just restart the pc.

You should now have a working ethernet adapter!

Thanks again and all credit for these steps goes to the excellent help here at Insanelymac.com

I installed the latest version skge.kext(02e) on my G4 Macintosh(sawtooth,MacOS 10.4.11) for Dlink DGE530T.

but it doesn't work.

when I get info it display kind as Kernel Extension(Intel) not Kernel Extension(PowerPC).

I wonder Is this for both PowerPC and Intel? or Intel only? let me know.

thanks