New Mac Mini in early March?

Maxintosh

25 posts in this topic

We've all heard it was coming. If the latest rumors are true then it will finally be here in a few short weeks! Here's the latest news...

Tom's Hardware reports that the expected Mac mini refresh will be coming in March and will be based on NVIDIA's new Ion platform utilizing Intel's dual-core 1.6 GHz Atom 330 processor. The Ion platform, announced in mid-December, also utilizes the GeForce 9400M integrated graphics found in the current MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

An Nvidia partner confirmed to us that Apple was the first to receive samples of Nvidia's Ion platform, which we covered extensively during CES. In fact, Apple received prototype units long before Nvidia partners who opted to work on Ion. We're told that some partners still only have blue prints of Ion.

The source also revealed that the new Mac mini should be released around the time of the CeBIT computer expo beginning March 3rd in Hanover, Germany. No pricing information has been revealed, but Tom's Hardware believes that the new Mac mini will be priced in the same $500-$700 range as the current model. They also believe that the use of this platform will enable Apple to reduce the size of the already-diminutive Mac mini.

Evidence found in OS X configuration files in mid-December has pointed to the use of NVIDIA chipsets in upcoming Mac mini and iMac revisions, but this is the first indication that Apple plans to use Intel's low-power Atom processor instead of the larger Core 2 processors found in Apple's notebook computers and the current Mac mini.

This is one mini rumor that I hope is not true. The ion would be a step down. Graphics would get a boost but everything else would suffer. Just add the Nvidia graphics from the white mac book and call it a day.

Having said that I'm not putting stock in any "Mini" rumor. To many of those running around for any of them to hold much water.

I agree with Synaesthesia. I don't think that Apple could justify using an ION platform currently. Perhaps it may be more practical with Snow Leopard, but only marginally so. Apple doesn't do cheap and underpowered, especially on a machine that is instrumental in introducing customers to OS X. It could be a very negative experience to start anybody but Grandma on something with an Atom CPU if they just came from Windows; severe limitations.

I think ION makes much more sense for AppleTV. They have been trying to get the price and form factor smaller, and this would do it. With its HD video capability, it is the perfect fit for aTV. However, I would expect that Apple is keeping a watchful eye on Atom updates for future use with the Mini. But now just isn't the right time.

Just my four cents (inflation),

theStevo

I have been waiting a long time for the Mini update but if they use the Atom I'll just build another Hachintosh and Apple will be out of a sale. I would never pay that kind of money for Atom machine when the competitors charge half as much, but if they charged $300 to $500 I might consider it. The Atom would be a perfect update to the Apple TV that is in need of a more powerful CPU & GPU for 1080P playback.

I'm just speculating, but my acer aspire one is running mac flawlessly, and i don't ever really have slow down with the 270 series atom 1.6ghz single core+ hyperthreaded core... i'm running itunes, safari, mail, adium, and google earth all at once with no noticeable slowdown apart from the pathetic GMA950 graphics (on 1 Gig of ram mind you!!!). It would make sense to me if they used the Atom 330 with dualcore+2 hyperthreaded cores, 1mb cache and had 9400gt graphics or better. especially if it supported 4 gigs of ram with the new chipset. people really don't realize how powerful the atom chips are... sure they aren't as good on paper compared to other ULV processors, but they just work better... like voodoo powers :P if i can get a mac mini with a 200+ gig 7200 rpm hd, 9400gt graphics, 4 gigs of ram, and an atom 330 processor I'd pay $600 for that even though i can max out a quad core hakintosh for the same price... and all because it had better be small as hell... like 5" thick max, 6" square. and i'd never have to worry about another update or whether i'm gonna be able to run snow kitty.

ark.intel.com Atom series processor info:

http://ark.intel.com/cpugroup.aspx?familyID=29035

This is one mini rumor that I hope is not true. The ion would be a step down. Graphics would get a boost but everything else would suffer.

If it coincides with Snow Leopard, then it could be a substantially better machine, provided that OpenCL is all that Apple claims it is. Two Atom cores and 16 9400m cores could pack quite a punch. But, alas, we'll just have to wait and see...

I pray it's true. At least there will be a new Mini. I need to get rid of this crappy Macbook Pro (unibody) that we bought a few months ago, and this would be the way to do it.

crappy macbook pro? wtf dude? are you sick or something like that? a mini instead of a mbp?

Are you saying they re-engineered the mini display port adapter, or that they added Mac mini to the packaging?

Sorry, the list of compatible hardware includes: "Mac mini (early 2009)".

The vendor contacted me and asked me to return the package - they said that this was a small production error, one of the early samples; though I'm allowed to keep the product. Which is great, but I no longer have the package. However, we made pictures of the product, for my article, but we (our magazine) do like to receive new hard- and software for testing so... forget it. It was just an error.

If i were a betting man, I'd bet that Apple's new base model for the mac mini platform would be based on the nvidia ion platform with an atom 330 processor and an ssd, and that they were going to make an additional base model for socket p processors with the nvidia 9400m chipset with options for the mac mini to go all the way up to a mobile quad core processor with a 500 gigabyte drive and slim blu-ray drive.

THAT would be a brilliant move by Apple.

I would say they would be similar to the current Mac Mini's - Core 2 Duo's, but with 9400M graphics.

Kinda just like the Baseline Macbook.

crappy macbook pro? wtf dude? are you sick or something like that? a mini instead of a mbp?
Yeah, what's up with that? :)

I pray it's true. At least there will be a new Mini. I need to get rid of this crappy Macbook Pro (unibody) that we bought a few months ago, and this would be the way to do it.

I did a double take. How can you get rid of a MacBook Pro? Most Hackintosh users (like me) can only dream of owning a laptop like that.

crappy macbook pro?

Do some research. The first lot of MBP (unibody) laptops are having a TON of issues! Sometimes ours is totally unusable as it crashes every 5 minutes (literally). This is because when Nvidea designed the assembly process they did it wrong, and now the chips are connected to the motherboards improperly. There are so many people complaining about it at the Apple forum. We have more problems with our new MBP than with any other computer. Supposedly the new ones coming off the assembly line don't have this problem so I may exchange it this week, but if they come out with a new Mac mini then I will just sell it and get one of those instead. This article explains it in more detail. This is NOT a Apple issue per se, but an Nvidea issue. Apple should drop them like a hot potato as Nvidea is making them look bad.

• 2 weeks later...