Acer Aspire One A150: iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Redliner

175 posts in this topic

yeah, i rebooted it, it's fine now, weird. all the other computers had a good connection at the same time...

thanks!

also have to figure out why my system hangs when shutting down. it worked a couple of hours ago, i'll see what i come up with and post results. :)

from what i've read removing them can help since they aren't really supported by non-macs... and i think that most computers have built in hardware control that would take over instead of the faulty software (once removed)

otherwise...idk... i'm probably wrong.

There is a Perl Script for Linux available on Google Code to fix the fan problem.

Maybe that could be adapted for OSX.

Here is the Link to more information about the script:

http://www.netbooktech.com/2008/09/17/fix-...dows-and-linux/

All working great.

One quick question... sd card slots, they seem to both be working, only when I booted with one in the right hand slot it didn't want to be ejected although finder reflected the contents correctly when the card was or was not inserted. What the behavior of the slots?

Ok 2 questions... My aao 150 is the UK version, the keyboard layout isn't right. on the whole it isn't too much of an issue only I can't get 'hash' which is a little problamatic in bash and for irc. Any fix out there?

Hi Redliner, will the CPUS=2 work with the Intel Atom processor? Just followed your guide and installed iPC 10.5.6 beta last night. thanks for the help I have most of the bugs worked out here. keep up the good work. I have the Acer AspireOne AOA-150 here nice little netbook, hope to add a touch screen too it next month.

Bestman50

System Specs. Acer AspireOne AOA-150

Dual boot: XP and iPC 10.5.6 beta

Motherboard:

CPU: Intel® Atom N270 @ 1.6DHz

Memory: DDR2 1.00GB

HHD: 120Gb / XP and iPC 10.5.6 beta

Video: GMA945 950 Drivers worked 1024x600@32

Audio: Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller PCI/working

PCI Express: Device Description/Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - PCI Express 4 Ports

Wi-Fi: Dell 1490 /working out of the box

Ethernet: Realtek RLT8102E / not installed yet

pretty much everything is working except for sleep (didnt expect it to/not a big deal), touch pad clicks, and wifi.

i installed the replacement preference pane for touchpad settings and when i go to it, i can change and get tap clicks but then system preferences crashes and when i go back its no longer set. i actually do have tap clicks even though its unchecked. the problem comes when i restart the touchpad settings are gone. it doesnt mean the sky is falling, its just a bit of an annoyance.

the big issue im having is with wifi. i selected atheros ar5007eg under wireless drivers while installing. iirc this is the wireless card that come with the aspire one. does anyone know how to enable this or something? i couldnt be more confused on how to get wireless to work.

otherwise i have no issues with how its running. i have vanilla kernel for easy updates. my sound, video card, wired networking, webcam, and even card readers work just fine. thanks for the help in getting in running great so far.

@chiliblue: not sure about the card readers or the uk keyboard... best bet is to ask on the developer site for the card readers and google on the uk layout fixes. sorry im a stupid american and dont know about those. :D

@bestman50: only if you are using the voodoo kernel. would loove to see you make a how to on the touch screen :)

@The Jack of Clubs: did you install the prefpane under the system folder or you user/system folder?

& read about the wireless here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...f=14&t=3193

Hello my fellow Insanelymac friends :dev:

I've been having a very hard time with a few things on my Aspire one... and I've gotten tired of not having been able to go find a guide for the iPC 10.5.6 distro...

Note: I used the original iPC distro with no *.pffs

Note_2: The iPC release uses Chameleon/PC_EFI 9 by default.

Note_3: I do not cover wireless in this guide. Personally I purchased a Dell wireless card off ebay that doesn't need any extra kexts (same card as in macbook pro) :P

I'm going to try to over explain, however it's so amazingly simple :)

*It is highly recommended that you update to the latest bios*

^^see attached files for the 3309 bios file (guide is in the readme) :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-Installation Notes:

1.)THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH SticMAC™ for the custom AppleHDA fix!!!!

--Working internal Mic!!!

--Working autoswitching!!!

2.) You may use either the smbios enabler (AppleSMBIOSEFI ) or SticMAC's™ patched AppleSMBIOS.kext... Please do not use both!!! The main difference is that th AppleSMBIOS.kext will show the Hackintosh as a Macbook.

3.) If you choose to not use the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel and go with Vanilla you must use the boot flag

cpus=1

4.) The 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel requires the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext; for some reason using the iPC patch did not work on multiple attempts... that is why I have attached the one that I know works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.) Boot your burned iPC release via external disc drive

2.) Select you language

3.) Go up to Utilities and open Disk Utility

4.) Highlight the hard disk (not the partition!)

5.) Click partition

6.) Select & name the partion(s)... I use one partition & I call mine MacHD (no spaces)

7.) Click Options

8.) Select GUID (GPT)

9.) Click OK

9.) Apple format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

11.) Close Disk Utility once it completes

12.) Skip ahead, select the hard disk/partition that you want to install to, and click continue

13.) Click Customize (lower left hand corner)

14.) Make sure that the iPC OSx86 Base System is checked

15.) Select desired Language Translations

16.) Select Kernels> 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

17.) Select Drivers> Audio Drivers> ALC268 (NOT Comatron)

18.) Select Drivers> Ethernet Drivers> Realtek R1000

19.) Select Drivers> Power Management> AppleACPIBatteryManager (chun-nan's)

20.) Fixes and Patches> PS/2 Device Support> PS/2 Keyboard Fix

21.) Fixes and Patches> AppleSMBIOS Patch> AppleSMBIOSEFI (or use the attached AppleSMBIOS.kext with Kext Helper)

22.) Select your desired applications (make sure to include Kext Helper b7, OSx86 Tools Utility, and EFI-Studio)

23.) Click Done and then Install :angel:

24.) Upon successful install, follow the setup prompts.

25.) Once at the desktop open Kext Helper b7

26.) Drag the kexts*: HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMA950.kext, Natit.kext, and Seatbelt.kext into Kext Helper

27.) Type in your password and click Easy Install

28.) Restart

29.) Make sure that the audio output is set to internal speakers. Ha ha! no need! Autoswitching!!!

30.) Change your Display resolution Should automaticly set to 1024x600 upon restart :)

31.) Open OSx86 Tools Utility and enable Quartz GL (optional)

32.) Run the OSx86 Tools Utility repair scripts

33.) Under Energy Saver, disable sleep.

You should be good to go :)

Other Fixes/Tools:

How to get the SD card Reader working :D

How to remove unwanted Menu Bar icons (ie: the eject icon in the upper right hand corner)

iSlayer system monitor apps: iStat Nano, iStat Pro, & iStat Menus... pick your favorite :P

ArtGUIScale Widget- See more of the screen! Useful for apps like Photobooth (Link is for release info, Download it Here)

Performance boost using the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel with "cpus=2" (that's where i first saw it mentioned... it does in fact give a higher xbench!)

-Add cpus=2 to com.apple.boot.plist like this:

<key>Kernel Flags<key><BR><string>cpus=2</string>

Full Trackpad options using the 10.5.5 keyboard.prefpane, again thx goes to volsk!

Hibernation upon closing lid: thx for the post, volsk :) (get ClamshellDisplay.kext bellow...use Kext Helper!)

^Note on why I left the ClamshellDisplay.kext out of the original install: if you close the lid without hibernation enabled you will have a kernel panic when it tries to go into regular sleep.

*Download the kexts attached bellow or use SticMAC's Mediafire Link

!!!Use either the AppleSMBIOSEFI patcher durring install or SMBIOS.kext after install!!!

!!!DO NOT USE BOTH!!!

Hi, thank you for the post first, that helps me alot:) I'm running voodoo kernel now but have experienced the bug during shut down without the power adaptor plugged in. Anyone knows how to switch back to Vanilla? Thanks

Hi, thank you for the post first, that helps me alot:) I'm running voodoo kernel now but have experienced the bug during shut down without the power adaptor plugged in. Anyone knows how to switch back to Vanilla? Thanks

Fix for Voodoo

courtesy of aspireone forum and Just Because

SHUTDOWN CRASH WORKAROUND

To prevent your Aspire One from crashing when you shut it down while running on battery, you need to drag and drop the ShutdownSound folder (NOT the four files inside it, the WHOLE folder) from the pack to /Library/StartupItems/. This will ensure that the audio circuitry gets activated on shutdown, so that the machine doesn't crash. You can change the .wav file to suit your taste (8 seconds of silence right now), if you know what you're doing. Hopefully the people developing the Voodoo kernel will find a fix for that soon.

Download AAO_SbM_OSX_1056_Pack.zip (http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/AAO_...X_1056_Pack.zip)

Ok 2 questions... My aao 150 is the UK version, the keyboard layout isn't right. on the whole it isn't too much of an issue only I can't get 'hash' which is a little problamatic in bash and for irc. Any fix out there?

There isn't a hash key on a standard mac UK keyboard (weird omission given that Mac OS X has a UNIX base)

The key combination is ALT-3

Cheers

joev

Just bought a dell wifi card, do i need to replace the antenna as well or just plug the card in and wire it with the original antenna?(don't want to break the display)

BTW, anyway could make it work without replacing the wifi card now?

@JFW: You don't have to replace the antenna.

There's a thread about the original card, but it seems there are a lot of problems - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138351 - i guess you should use your new one. :wacko:

---

I'd like to reinstall 10.5.6 today with the help of this tutorial (i used an iAtkos release before, but i played too much with it and screwed it up... ;) ), because i hope to get my One to hibernate.

I'll try this release: "iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final" - i saw the original iPC distro with no *.ppfs was used here, do i have to expect problems?

I have 3 partitions at the moment - the recovery, Win XP, Macintosh HD. Could i just install over the old Leopard or do you suggest to format this partition through Disk Utility? (I'm not sure if i could even just install over it - just wondering :P ).

Hi there ppl. I would like to let you know that this guide is perfectly fine on an Acer Aspire One A110-Bw also. The only thing that I wont get to work is the sleep, and the built in Atheros wifi. But ive just ordered a Dell card so that should be solved tomorrow :angry:

//edit

ive also noticed i dont have QE/CI..

Is this normal?

//edit 2:

QE and CI are working now.

Used the package as mentioned on this page:

http://www.venera7.com/22-11-2008/installi...e-macbook-nano/

gerbenvandijk,

to get the graphics working all you had to do was add the display kexts that were attached at the bottom of my 1st post... they're the exact match and don't have any issues such as cursor tearing (i haven't checked video outup though)

Okayyy, finally - thanks a lot for the tutorial, works perfectly for me! :huh:

I used a "iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final" distro; hibernate, sound, battery, video, card reader - all okay.

I have a question now (sorry, i'm a terrible nub) - can i install the current updates? ;)

I have done that, but they do not work on my aspire one a110 bw.

The other ones did work.

Maybe its because u have the a150?

gerbenvandijk,

to get the graphics working all you had to do was add the display kexts that were attached at the bottom of my 1st post... they're the exact match and don't have any issues such as cursor tearing (i haven't checked video outup though)

I didn't see much mention of regular sleep in the posts here, just hibernate. Is there a way to get it to sleep normally, or will it just kernel panic every time? I have my A110 running after following the guide to the T and all is well, I was just hoping for normal sleep to conserve battery here and there. If not, hibernate is not a terrible second place prize ;)

Oh, is there any way to get the 9-inch AOA's (A150, A110) trackpad to work with two finger scroll? I installed FFScroll but it didn't seem to do anything.