Acer Aspire One A150: iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Redliner

175 posts in this topic

Can you check System Profiler for your device ID for your graphics driver?

the A150 has this:

Okay, this is the device ID of mine:

Device ID: 0x27ae

Revision ID: 0x0003

Its the same, so i probably did something wrong :) My apologies.

I have one more question about sleep, i've followed your guide, and ive installed Insomnia. But still everyt time i close the lid or hit the sleep button, i get the kernel panic. am i missing a step?

Thanks!

//update: ive solved the closing lid problem, just disabled sleep in insomnia. But the sleep function still does not work.

silly, you're not supposed to be using Insomnia X... use smart sleep, go into the control panel, and tell it to "hibernate only" and then you'll have working hibernation.... sleep isn't possible at this moment. :wacko:

Thanks for a great guide - easy to follow and it all nearly all works, I just switched my AA1 from iATKOS image as it didn't seem to want to hiberate to IPC.

I installed the GMA950 drivers linked in the 1st post, however I found they didn't like having a secondary display attached, so I've switched them for these http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/GMA950.pkg.zip which solves the graphic corruption.

While the mic works in System Pref, ichat doesn't seem able to use it - is this standard?

For bluetooth I'm was using a Sitecom CN-512 usb adapter as it fully working and it supports isync to my K800i, and bluetooth headset (This was under iATKOS with a vanilla Kernel)

Update: with IPC it's crashing the voodoo kernel on shutdown. It initital showed up and started the setup process with my phone, but it's now 'corrupted the registry' will releasing AppleHDAController :help:

Update2: removing Bluetooth devices from System Preferences,Network allows the machine to shutdown correctly again.

I'm not sure how the SD slots are meant to work, the Icon appears on the menu bar with repeating Unknown Vendor, Base System Peripheral, Power Off Card. Nothing appears in finder if I insert a SD card though.

@kinesin,

My apoligies to everyone, I had thought i had the drivers that were patched for output, in fact i just tested it last night and hadn't yet updated the guide... :help: however thank you for those drivers :)

as far as the mic goes, i think it's too goood tome be true... it never picks up strong enough for me. :(

for the card reader (not readers...only the left one works) use the kext attached here... there might be a better version, however this one worked for me. you might just unhook the bluetooth when shutting down... one question though, does it happen when you're plugged in?

Again kinesin, thank you :)

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip

Didn't realise it was only the LHS reader - Card shows up if I boot with loaded :-)

My kernel panic on shutdown seems to be back - not sure why. Could be worth holding back on the those GMA950 drivers as either them or the addition of bluetooth that broke AppleHDA.

Kernel panic only happens if I'm running on battery. so not related to bluetooth, GMA950 etc. Need to get myself a working power/battery kext.

I was having the same KP problem, this method fixed it taken from the iAtkos 5i thread:

"SHUTDOWN CRASH WORKAROUND

To prevent your Aspire One from crashing when you shut it down while running on battery, you need to drag and drop the ShutdownSound folder (NOT the four files inside it, the WHOLE folder) from the pack to /Library/StartupItems/. This will ensure that the audio circuitry gets activated on shutdown, so that the machine doesn't crash. You can change the .wav file to suit your taste (8 seconds of silence right now), if you know what you're doing. Hopefully the people developing the Voodoo kernel will find a fix for that soon."

Here is the pack: http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/AAO_...X_1056_Pack.zip

Thanks for the hints. I managed to solve it last night in a slightly different way after reasling it was due to the sound system not waking before shutdown.

I installed the system pref from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/systems...stemSound50.zip and recorded my own 8 seconds with WireTap. I dropped the sound file into /System/Library/Sounds, and selected it to play at shutdown.

It might be that this only works for my user, whereas the solution in AAO zip pack works globally.

EDIT: doesn't seem to work 100% - switching to the AAO zip solution

I've followed this guide with iPC OSx86 10.5.6 PPF5 on an Aspire One A110 upgraded with 1.5GB RAM and a 1.8" 120GB HDD instead of the stock 8GB SSD, and a dell wireless card.

I am getting a kernel panic when entering safe sleep ("hibernation"):

the screen gets gray an blurry, like a real mac in safe sleep, the screen and fan turn off, and immediately on again with a kernel panic.

I've followed this guide with iPC OSx86 10.5.6 PPF5 on an Aspire One A110 upgraded with 1.5GB RAM and a 1.8" 120GB HDD instead of the stock 8GB SSD, and a dell wireless card.

I am getting a kernel panic when entering safe sleep ("hibernation"):

the screen gets gray an blurry, like a real mac in safe sleep, the screen and fan turn off, and immediately on again with a kernel panic.

I have nearly the exact same configuration (A110, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB 1.8" HD and an Apple brand broadcom-based wireless card) and am having the exact same problem! I was about to post about it but you've beat me to it. Except for the fact it's using a PATA hard disk instead of SATA in the A150's, I don't think there's anything different about them.

In Order to Enable "Hibernation" instead of sleep,you need to Download "SmartSleep" AND make suure to install for "all users"... go to the Smart sleep prefpane... and choose hibernate only.

Yes, followed the instructions to a T, turned off secure virtual memory, installed safesleep for all users, hibernate only, then when selecting sleep or closing the lid (after installing clamshelldisplay.kext) kernel panic. The panic itself isn't very specific, one time it referenced the airport card, a second time just "configd".

hmm... someone's prolly going to beat me to the fix... if you used Sticmac's audio drivers.... (A110 guys) there's a chance they might be the cause... otherwise if you can look through Console and try to find the crash dump... that'd be great

hmm... someone's prolly going to beat me to the fix... if you used Sticmac's audio drivers.... (A110 guys) there's a chance they might be the cause... otherwise if you can look through Console and try to find the crash dump... that'd be great

That's the other odd thing. Unlike an actual Mac I don't have a panic.log. I will take a picture of what happens when it tries to hibernate.

http://homepage.mac.com/noshtzy/A110%20Hibernate%20KP.jpg

Edit: A pic of the panic. When I select sleep with hibernate only on the screen flashes gray, goes black, then the fan resets and the screen comes back up with this.

I'm using SticMac's drivers, yes, and I'm using AppleSMBIOSEFI, not Sticmac's AppleSMBIOS.kext. I was wondering if there's an easy way to switch between them, since you can't use both.

I get that message if the hibernatefile is not pressent, and/or if it is in wrong mode.

Make sure it is in safemode: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Delete sleepimage: sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

And finally recreate the file: sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

Since there is a sleep fix for several PCs with more-or-less similar HW, Lenovos, MSI Wind and some? EEE, It should be possible to have hibernatemode 0 on our One....

Nope, I disabled the audio drivers (AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts) and I still have the same problem, and no dump or anything in the console, maybe the hard drive is powering down before it writes anything.

Edit: I got a pic too. Sometimes the panic shows over the color screen, other times it shows when the screen is already grayed out and blurred, this time it was half of each, and it even says something about the hibernate file:

sizeof(IOHibernateImageHeader) == 512
Opened file /var/vm/sleepimage, size 1610612736, partition base 0x7e00, maxio 100000
hibernate image major 14, minor 1, blocksize 512, pollers 1
error 0xe00002bc opening hibernation file
IOPolledFileOpen(e00002bc)

cimg0036.th.jpg

I'm also getting a KP when using "Hibernate". Followed all instructions, even deleted sleepimage with no luck.

I've experienced the same problems on the latest XxX 10.5.6 disc. This disc is based on 9G66 (retail 10.5.6). I switched back to the older 10.5.6 disc 9G55 with updates. I thought it had to do with the 9G66. But this doesn't seem to be the issue. When someone figures this out, please post it on the forum.

I'm using iAktos 5i updated to 10.5.6. I'm just going to install iPC on my Aspire One since I really want that Hibernation function to work. I'm going to take advantage to make a quick question here; Is there a way to "backup" my configuration and install a different distro and put my configuration back? I heard about CarbonCopyCloner, will that work or would I just save my files and will have to re-configure my system again ?

The easiest way to make a backup/restore on a mac is by having 2 partitions.

Copy the whole Home folder to the second partition. You can then assign the home folder by entering the account settings under system. Right click your account at the left panel and choose "Advanced Options". You can then decide where the home folder is located.

The applications, kext, patches etc. you want to keep, you just copy over to the second partition, before you reinstall OS x

Everything should then be restored without any third party applications.

If you don´t have a second partition, but choose to to make backups on a USB drive, you could copy the home folder etc to that drive, and copy them back after the install. Or, you can use TimeMachine. Some files in the home directory is protected, and you have to manually copy the backed up files over one-by-one to be sure you get it right.

I really enjoy my One with this installation, only the lost sound after hibernation is annoying - there isn't a solution (yet) to reactivate it maybe? :(

And - i wonder: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141584 - people seem to have solved the sleep problem, could it work for the AAO too? I'm always scared to tinker around, don't want to screw up my installation. ^_^

I really enjoy my One with this installation, only the lost sound after hibernation is annoying - there isn't a solution (yet) to reactivate it maybe? :)

And - i wonder: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141584 - people seem to have solved the sleep problem, could it work for the AAO too? I'm always scared to tinker around, don't want to screw up my installation. :P

I've tried it, and while it solves the sleep problem, in introduces a new wake problem. ;)

So no, it doesn't solve anything

I GOT WIRELESS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG i got wireless working with the stock atheros card. So I did the exact iPC 10.5.6 install setup here,

then downloaded IO8211Family.kext from (http://www.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135572)

THEN i downloaded Kismac trunk r319 and it works.....

Honestly it took me 5 minutes of finagling to understand how it works,

but read this and u should be getting wireless..

(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138351)

except dont install the airport update mentioned in the above topic. it isn't compatible with 10.5.6

And to think i was JUST about to order the dell wireless card, but now i found us a work around that functions great. I was able to save a configuration for kismac that was working and added that file to my login item list so now on boot the wireless works. its a little buggy, but once you know what your doing its easy.

this is my first insanelymac post so let me know how it goes for you and if I helped. If u need help feel free to ask me k. I'm an Applecare tech support agent for Portables (macbooks) and wireless multimedia (airports)

ENJOI

first of all, thanks for the great instructions, i replaced iatkos on my aao with ipc just to be on the same distro as my desktop and it works great.

i'm also having the problem with kp while hibernating

i followed the steps to install smart sleep as discribed, disabled secure virtual memory but it kp's everytime.

like the others i'm on an aoa110 but modified with a 30gb toshiba hdd

heres a pic of my KP, i tried to get it as clear as possible and this is the best i could get.

th_IMG_0258.jpg

I GOT WIRELESS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG i got wireless working with the stock atheros card. So I did the exact iPC 10.5.6 install setup here,

then downloaded IO8211Family.kext from (http://www.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135572)

THEN i downloaded Kismac trunk r319 and it works.....

Honestly it took me 5 minutes of finagling to understand how it works,

but read this and u should be getting wireless..

(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138351)

except dont install the airport update mentioned in the above topic. it isn't compatible with 10.5.6

And to think i was JUST about to order the dell wireless card, but now i found us a work around that functions great. I was able to save a configuration for kismac that was working and added that file to my login item list so now on boot the wireless works. its a little buggy, but once you know what your doing its easy.

this is my first insanelymac post so let me know how it goes for you and if I helped. If u need help feel free to ask me k. I'm an Applecare tech support agent for Portables (macbooks) and wireless multimedia (airports)

ENJOI

That's what i tried too, but i got several kernel panics with it. They were gone when i reverted it - i guess it's the IO8211Family.kext. I heard other people had the same problem.

"Ok 2 questions... My aao 150 is the UK version, the keyboard layout isn't right. on the whole it isn't too much of an issue only I can't get 'hash' which is a little problamatic in bash and for irc. Any fix out there?

Found this which helps with the basic layout £$# all in the right place if you install the Britsh-Windows-2 layout mentioned in this

Using a windows uk keyboard in OSX

Not yet solved the dead key yet and the layout isn't completely right but its a step in the right direction.