Acer Aspire One A150: iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Redliner

175 posts in this topic

you dont need to start from scratch... just use kext helper and reboot

again, only use the GMA950_(device id) kext unless you need working monitor output.

i DO not recomend the output working kext.

DO NOT... use the GMA950 from the installer. (in my experience is is not the 100% correct kext)

just wondering if anyone knows of my problem? i am having shut down issues... it will not shut down all the way... it will go through the process and the screen will black out as normal but the power is still on... to shut down i have to hold down the power button...

any help is GREATLY appreciated...

i had that problem from time to time... i know that if you read enough on the forum and search... you might be able to find exactly what causes it.

however... i'd recommend trying 1 last time and write down everything that you do... then compare it to my guide... just to be safe. also, i really really recommend using the voodoo kernel.

i had that problem from time to time... i know that if you read enough on the forum and search... you might be able to find exactly what causes it.

however... i'd recommend trying 1 last time and write down everything that you do... then compare it to my guide... just to be safe. also, i really really recommend using the voodoo kernel.

thanks for yyour help... i tried searching, but maybe i am using incorrect wording? i tried again this morning and same issue, followed your guide step by step and same issue... other than that, i have no other problems, hibernate works, ecwerything works, just this shut down thing is bugging me. lol

Thanks for the guide you have posted, it worked really good for me but there is a small question I would like to ask.

At the following step of your guide "32.) Run the OSx86 Tools Utility repair scripts". I opened the tools utility, which option do you mean?

I couldn't find a button with "repair scripts", or are you referring to "repair permissions".

Besides this I bumped into something interesting on the aspireoneuser.com forum. It is about throttling the CPU and checking the temperatures etc. Anyway I have used it and it turned out great for me, maybe Redliner could take a look and use it in the tutorial:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...=14&t=10103

"OS X battery life And Runs hot?"

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

ARG! So I started out with iDeneb v1.4 final on my AAO D150, but after install (according to this guide: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...14&t=11796) I would never get the setup screens (password, registration, etc..) I would only see a grey screen. On reboot, Darwin would note:

Hibernate started

Sleep images has garbage

Hibernate failed

So I decided to give iPC 10.5.6 Univeral PPF5 Final a shot according to the guide in this thread. Now I can get past the setup screens, but I eventually (like within 3 or 5 minutes of booting) get a nasty kernel panic. I followed the updated guide to the letter. e.g Voodoo 9.5.0, GPT boot, AppleSMBIOSEFI, etc...

I've determined that the kernel panic will happen everytime I insert a USB device (like a usb stick with kext on it, or the USB drive), or I just wait a bit. Like 3 minutes or so. The first time I saw the kernel panic was when, after the setup screens, I unplugged the USB drive while in OSX.

After a reboot, I get a different kernel panic everytime on the Apple load screen before the Desktop loads.

I have to reinstall all over again to simply get back to the Desktop again, inorder to try something.

I then tried installing it with the only difference that seemed could matter, that is I didn't select the AppleSMBIOSEFI package, hoping I could install AppleSMBIOS.kext after install. No luck. I went to the washroom after the install/reboot and can back to a kernel panic on the setup screen.

FINALLY, as a bit of good news, I gave the cpu=1 boot flag a shot. I know people has said its only needed for the Vanilla kernel, but apparently its needed for the Voodo kernel as well! I can now get into the Desktop with minimal problems, though I've run into the occassional kernel panic since.

If I enable cpus=2, I get a kernel panic within 1 minute of booting. Clearly the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel has some sort of multi-cpu/hyperthreading problem.

My biggest problem right now? After enabling Quartz support and rebooting, the interface freezes every couple of seconds. Any ideas?

One big question is whether this guide is AAO D150 specific at all? The latest D150 bios is 1.05, not 3309. The 3309 is for the AAO 110 is it not? Can someone please clarify this for me? This is a very important point if the 3306 bios is expected to solve some of these problems.

My AAO D150 is stock, although I did upgrade the ram to 2Gb, I've tried the installs with the original 1Gb stick in and the 2Gb in.

Thanks for the guide. Its got me on the road, but I really want to try and sort this out in a reliable way. Missing feature support is fine, but kernel panics just plain suck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone managed to get the AA1 with IPC to run in clamshell mode?

i.e external monitor only with usb keyboard & mouse, integrated LCD off/undetected.

I'm trying to make my netbook into pseudo AppleTV using frontrow/rowmote.

I'm bounced around all the available gma950 kext in this thread and removed clamshell.kext - should I be doing something different?

One big question is whether this guide is AAO D150 specific at all? The latest D150 bios is 1.05, not 3309. The 3309 is for the AAO 110 is it not? Can someone please clarify this for me? This is a very important point if the 3306 bios is expected to solve some of these problems.

DO NOT CONFUSE THE A150 for the D150! READ THIS:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2009/02/acer-as...0-bios-105.html

I didn't make the mistake of flashing my D150 with the A150 bios, but I think this thread should be more clear about this. You can flash the D150 and A110/150 bios. There's nothing to stop you.

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...s=&areaid=2

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...s=&areaid=2

• 2 weeks later...
Hibernation upon closing lid: thx for the post, volsk :) (get ClamshellDisplay.kext bellow...use Kext Helper!)

^Note on why I left the ClamshellDisplay.kext out of the original install: if you close the lid without hibernation enabled you will have a kernel panic when it tries to go into regular sleep.

Hey Guys and first of all thanks to Redliner for that great tutorial! :-)

I am experiencing a strange behaviour with hibernation and the voodoo kernel:

Whenever I put the Aspire One to sleep for the SECOND TIME and then try to wake it up again, it will freeze while trying to wake the Kernel. So sleep/wake only works once after a fresh start or reboot. Anyone experiencing the same issue with voodoo 9.5.0 or - even better - having a solution to this issue?

Secondly my Finder kept crashing whenever I tried to access the Finder preferences. I found out that this is due to an incomplete language localization file (in my case german). So I simply reinstalled the language pack from an original Leopard DVD that I got with my Macbook and it all works like a charm now. I hope this is helpful if you are experiencing similar issues. :-)

Best, _ciz

Hi Redliner:

I'm very Happy with my Leopard on my little Acer One, but sometimes i need use Windows XP (Fantastic Tiny XP R09).

I wonder if is possible Leopard, Windows XP & Ubuntu in same Acer One?

I made a image of my instalation of leopard to restore later but when I restore under MBR partitions, It dont boot. Is GUID the best options to make the first installation of Leopard if i think to install Windows XP too?

I'm thinking in Chamaleon 2.0 RC1, but I'm very lost in multiboot systems under Mac.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76404

Any simple guide for this will be very apreciated.

Thanks!

Sort of fix for Audio loss on resume after hibernate:

Instead of the given audio kexts, you can use VoodooHDA (google for it). This works fine for speaker/headerphones and has autoswitch, but I've heard that the mic support doesn't work and causes panics, so use at your own risk. I don't use the mic, so I'm using it so that I don't lose sound after waking from hibernate.

I'm running like this with a Dell 1390 wifi card and 1.5 gig ram. Everything works great, except for mic and normal sleep. But hibernate is totally a fine alternative. I'm quite happy :-).

Great instructions btw, thanks.

I am sad to inform you guys that I am currently forced to sell my A150...

it will be up on ebay shortly.

*edit*

Also, a shout out to SticMac, Volsk, and the many, many others who helped me along the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Everything was working fine, but I upgraded to 10.5.7 and now the A150 tries to boot under OSx, then blank scrren, then reboot...

I guess that there is a problem with some kext, maybe the video, but I don't know how to repair that without loosing my data (phoros).

Can someone help me ?

Regards.

Fabrice.

Hello,

Everything was working fine, but I upgraded to 10.5.7 and now the A150 tries to boot under OSx, then blank scrren, then reboot...

I had the same problem. Try booting with cpus=1 after that fix the boot.plist or install the voodoo kernel.

The current graphics driver don't work no more. try the the one from http://forums.msiwind.net/osx-drivers/vani...hed-t11661.html.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

Here's a dumb question. How do you know if your using 2 cores or 1. When I look at activity monitor it shows 2 processes but in onyx it says I have 1 core. Oh sorry, this is on a Acer d150 but I guess the question can be asked for any Hackintosh install.

Sorry for the foolish question

:D

Hello guys im new here... I registered because i would like to ask for help if anyone can help me?. I just bought an Acer Aspire One A0751h, and im trying to install iDeneb 1.4, i have it boot from the DVD but it was just stayed on the spinning wheel gray screen with apple logo in it, and stops and for over 30 min nothing happen just stayed on the gray screen with apple logo. Pls help me whats wrong... i cant make it pass the gray screen with apple logo. Thanks guys

Hello guys im new here... I registered because i would like to ask for help if anyone can help me?. I just bought an Acer Aspire One A0751h, and im trying to install iDeneb 1.4, i have it boot from the DVD but it was just stayed on the spinning wheel gray screen with apple logo in it, and stops and for over 30 min nothing happen just stayed on the gray screen with apple logo. Pls help me whats wrong... i cant make it pass the gray screen with apple logo. Thanks guys

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1229756

Not the exact same Acer, but it should be close enough to get you up and running.

Here's a dumb question. How do you know if your using 2 cores or 1. When I look at activity monitor it shows 2 processes but in onyx it says I have 1 core. Oh sorry, this is on a Acer d150 but I guess the question can be asked for any Hackintosh install.

Sorry for the foolish question

:)

Your Acer Aspire One D150 has an Intel Atom N270 processor. This processor is single-core, therefore, you are using one core.

The extra "process" you see is a second thread - the N270 includes support for hyperthreading, which in certain conditions can allow the single core to execute two instructions at once.. but this is not the same as a second core, and will not give you anywhere near the performance increase of a second core.

The Atom 300 series is the dual-core model, and as far as I know, is not used in any netbook.

I've seen 200-series Atoms billed as "dual-core" on the signage in electronics stores. It is misleading, though probably not intentional.. the people involved may simply believe that the second thread is actually a second core.

Hi Im new to all this. I followed the guide and i got osx to work great.Thank you very much for the great guide. But I have been reading around for days, and I am still lost by step 26. where are these kexts? Im appoligize for my ignorance and thank you all in advance for the help

You'll find them here http://www.mediafire.com/?n3umzkenxen

or here http://www.mediafire.com/?vmwyyzdmh3y <<<<<this one is the latest

(its in the first post)

SticMAC

Hi Im new to all this. I followed the guide and i got osx to work great.Thank you very much for the great guide. But I have been reading around for days, and I am still lost by step 26. where are these kexts? Im appoligize for my ignorance and thank you all in advance for the help

Thanks a lot i think I dont know how i missed it i read this thread like 4 times. Also i am not able to open photobooth it says graphics card doesnt support it and image capture says theres no device installed, and also video not working in ichat...again thank you for everything.

Other than that I am loving this...this is much better than shelling out $1000 plus, and I am very surprised at how smooth this is working.

Check to see if you have QE/CI running in your System Profiler under Graphics Card!? It might be that you have to install the IntelFramebuffer kext from the linked file I sent!

SticMAC

Thanks a lot i think I dont know how i missed it i read this thread like 4 times. Also i am not able to open photobooth it says graphics card doesnt support it and image capture says theres no device installed, and also video not working in ichat...again thank you for everything.

Other than that I am loving this...this is much better than shelling out $1000 plus, and I am very surprised at how smooth this is working.