Acer Aspire One A150: iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Redliner

175 posts in this topic

Glad to see this guide has well over 40,000 views! congrats to all of you that've got it running flawlessly :star_smile:

I hope all is well with Volsk and SticMac®, you both were a real help! Good Luck and God Bless~

~Jordan aka Redliner

ps -Please Donate guys and gals!! Insanelymac is providing you with something far more valuable than most of us seem to have realized.

There is a new BIOS version 3310

I had issues with the battery not holding a charge and this fixed my issue. It also may have been the action of flashing the BIOS. I figured Id pass it along from one AOA user to another.

Great work on your guide :)

Thanks Redliner for the amazing guide...just changed out the wireless card and its working amazing. We also had a dell dimension 4700 and d610 lying around and loaded ipc on them too...i was just in the groove and had absolutely nothing to do which is probably the better explanation. Thanks again for the great guide

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I'm a MacOS enthusiast since 2006, running macos on real macs and hackintoshes. Now I bought a Acer Aspire One A110 (a.k.a. Mac nanoBook) and installed leopard on it's small 8GB ssd hard drive.

Well, it runs pretty fast, and I have all drivers installed. But I noticed sometimes a big slowdown on ssd drive. Randomly the system freezes and the ssd light turns on (meaning it's reading or writing something). After a few seconds the system returns normal.

It's starting to be frequent and it's really anoying. Does anybody now if it's normal? Or if there is a way to solve this?

ok, forget about the ssd. There is another problem that I want to solve, that probably is the same on Acer AOA-150 (because they have the same hardware except for the HD). I installed iPC 10.5.6 and my trackpad is not working properly. I can't find the "mouse" configuration on the pref pane, the tracking speed is too fast and the touch button is not working, I have to click on the hardware button every time I want to do a mouse click. Touching the touchpad doesn't work. I think that it's a driver problem. Probably OSX is not recognizing my touchpad, and that's why I don't have a "mouse" configuration on the preferences pane. Are you guys using some driver for your touchpad?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I recently joined this forum so I might be able to stay upto date with things on my acer netbook zg5. I must ask did anyone ever find out a way to get wifi working on here with the existing card? Also did they make a snow leopard compilation for the netbook zg5? Also whats the latest build version? I do believe Im running a old one, and need something current.

DEar Readliner...

Have you try Vanilla Kernel instead?

i have. but the atom cpu's really really like the voodoo kernel since it's HPET

Hello everyone, I recently joined this forum so I might be able to stay upto date with things on my acer netbook zg5. I must ask did anyone ever find out a way to get wifi working on here with the existing card? Also did they make a snow leopard compilation for the netbook zg5? Also whats the latest build version? I do believe Im running a old one, and need something current.

you need to read.

#1 wrong model, wrong thread.

#2 wireless is covered extensively in not just this thread, but nearly every other thread.

#3 you know nothing about snow leopard, obviously.

people need to realize that this isn't "natural" and that it takes "work"... these aren't "cheap macs" these are pc's HACKED to run mac. i think i spent a good couple hundred hours building my first hackintosh. do some research. and ask someone else.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a late comer, but, I want to express my Thanks.

I do appreciate what you are doing.

My System is Acer AOA-150 ZG5

Bios Version 3310.1

RAM: 1GB, 160 GB HDD

Multi Booting:

Partition1 : 20 GB : WinXP Home SP3 OEM

Partition2 : 20 GB : Mac OSX 10.5.6 > 10.5.7 > 10.5.8 now

Partition3 : 17 GB : Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10

Partition4 : 17 GB : Moblin 2.0

Partition5 : 70 GB : Data (shared between the OSes)

Partition6 : 3 GB : Swap for Linux

I installed iPC 10.5.6 according to this guide.

Installed Apple 10.5.7 update successfully.

Installed Apple 10.5.8 update successfully.

Everything seems to be working except the following :

Bluetooth, Internal Mic

The big news is :( Stock Wifi (Atheros) is working.

The trick was ...

a. booted using -f switch

b. as soon as it boots, opened KisMAC .. selected AirPort Extreme Passive Mode .. Search. it showed my APs

c. Quit KisMAC and selected the AP from the Airport Icon List ..

;)

Once again, thank you so much.

Audio driver (aka "kext")

- HDAEnabler.kext

- AppleHDA.kext

Video driver/injector

- AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

- AppleIntelGMA950.kext

- Natit.kext

.DMG mounting fix for Leopard 10.5.6+

- Seatbelt.kext

google could have answered those questions, but feel free to google from here on out... most of us spent a few hundred hours to learn what we have. this is a HOBBY, not a "cheap" mac. so good luck and have fun learning :)

• 3 weeks later...

Redliner,

you need to read.

#2 wireless is covered extensively in not just this thread, but nearly every other thread.

people need to realize that this isn't "natural" and that it takes "work"... these aren't "cheap macs" these are pc's HACKED to run mac. i think i spent a good couple hundred hours building my first hackintosh. do some research. and ask someone else.

Redliner,

I would like to start by saying that I do appreciate all the work that you have done with this guide and answering the constant questions.

However, I'd like to quickly point out that I find the constant reminders from you that you have hundreds of hours of research before building your first system is becoming a little tiring. Many people do a lot of research just to get to the point of asking a question on these forums. Not everything is straight-forward even with install guides.

I personally have already built a dual-booting OSx86 10.5.8/Vista on a Foxconn 45CSx Mini-ITX system. I know that I followed at least 6 different install guides (each said that they worked perfectly), before I got it right using iPC 10.5.6 as the starting point. The unfortunate side to having nice install guides is that it gives many people false impressions that the processes are simple, easy and fool-proof.

So I'd like to ask that you lighten up when someone asks a question that has been asked before. Maybe they didn't understand the original answer.

As a point that we are all just human, you told "Mike4911" that he was referring to the wrong model when he asked about the Aspire ZG5. If you had done your research you would know that the ZG5 is actually the "series" model for all of the AOA Netbooks including the AOA150. The bottom of my A150 actually shows it as a Acer Aspire One ZG5 even though it is specifically an AOA150-1777.

Please don't flame me for these comments. ;)

you need to read.

I am a late comer, but, I want to express my Thanks.

I do appreciate what you are doing.

My System is Acer AOA-150 ZG5

Bios Version 3310.1

RAM: 1GB, 160 GB HDD

Multi Booting:

Partition1 : 20 GB : WinXP Home SP3 OEM

Partition2 : 20 GB : Mac OSX 10.5.6 > 10.5.7 > 10.5.8 now

Partition3 : 17 GB : Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10

Partition4 : 17 GB : Moblin 2.0

Partition5 : 70 GB : Data (shared between the OSes)

Partition6 : 3 GB : Swap for Linux

I installed iPC 10.5.6 according to this guide.

Installed Apple 10.5.7 update successfully.

Installed Apple 10.5.8 update successfully.

Everything seems to be working except the following :

Bluetooth, Internal Mic

The big news is :( Stock Wifi (Atheros) is working.

The trick was ...

a. booted using -f switch

b. as soon as it boots, opened KisMAC .. selected AirPort Extreme Passive Mode .. Search. it showed my APs

c. Quit KisMAC and selected the AP from the Airport Icon List ..

:)

Once again, thank you so much.

Can you put how you got the wireless to work. I'm finishing up a build for my wife and the wireless is essential.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello my fellow Insanelymac friends :)

I've been having a very hard time with a few things on my Aspire one... and I've gotten tired of not having been able to go find a guide for the iPC 10.5.6 distro...

Note: I used the original iPC distro with no *.pffs

Note_2: The iPC release uses Chameleon/PC_EFI 9 by default.

Note_3: I do not cover wireless in this guide. Personally I purchased a Dell wireless card off ebay that doesn't need any extra kexts (same card as in macbook pro) :P

I'm going to try to over explain, however it's so amazingly simple :)

*It is highly recommended that you update to the latest bios*

^^see attached files for the 3309 bios file (guide is in the readme) :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-Installation Notes:

1.)THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH SticMAC™ for the custom AppleHDA fix!!!!

--Working internal Mic!!!

--Working autoswitching!!!

2.) You may use either the smbios enabler (AppleSMBIOSEFI ) or SticMAC's™ patched AppleSMBIOS.kext... Please do not use both!!! The main difference is that th AppleSMBIOS.kext will show the Hackintosh as a Macbook.

3.) If you choose to not use the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel and go with Vanilla you must use the boot flag

cpus=1

4.) The 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel requires the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext; for some reason using the iPC patch did not work on multiple attempts... that is why I have attached the one that I know works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.) Boot your burned iPC release via external disc drive

2.) Select you language

3.) Go up to Utilities and open Disk Utility

4.) Highlight the hard disk (not the partition!)

5.) Click partition

6.) Select & name the partion(s)... I use one partition & I call mine MacHD (no spaces)

7.) Click Options

8.) Select GUID (GPT)

9.) Click OK

9.) Apple format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

11.) Close Disk Utility once it completes

12.) Skip ahead, select the hard disk/partition that you want to install to, and click continue

13.) Click Customize (lower left hand corner)

14.) Make sure that the iPC OSx86 Base System is checked

15.) Select desired Language Translations

16.) Select Kernels> 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

17.) Select Drivers> Audio Drivers> ALC268 (NOT Comatron)

18.) Select Drivers> Ethernet Drivers> Realtek R1000

19.) Select Drivers> Power Management> AppleACPIBatteryManager (chun-nan's)

20.) Fixes and Patches> PS/2 Device Support> PS/2 Keyboard Fix

21.) Fixes and Patches> AppleSMBIOS Patch> AppleSMBIOSEFI (or use the attached AppleSMBIOS.kext with Kext Helper)

22.) Select your desired applications (make sure to include Kext Helper b7, OSx86 Tools Utility, and EFI-Studio)

23.) Click Done and then Install :soldiers:

24.) Upon successful install, follow the setup prompts.

25.) Once at the desktop open Kext Helper b7

26.) Drag the kexts*: HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMA950.kext, Natit.kext, and Seatbelt.kext into Kext Helper

27.) Type in your password and click Easy Install

28.) Restart

29.) Make sure that the audio output is set to internal speakers. Ha ha! no need! Autoswitching!!!

30.) Change your Display resolution Should automaticly set to 1024x600 upon restart :)

31.) Open OSx86 Tools Utility and enable Quartz GL (optional)

32.) Run the OSx86 Tools Utility repair scripts

33.) Under Energy Saver, disable sleep.

You should be good to go :)

Other Fixes/Tools:

How to get the SD card Reader working :D

How to remove unwanted Menu Bar icons (ie: the eject icon in the upper right hand corner)

iSlayer system monitor apps: iStat Nano, iStat Pro, & iStat Menus... pick your favorite :P

ArtGUIScale Widget- See more of the screen! Useful for apps like Photobooth (Link is for release info, google for it)

Performance boost using the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel with "cpus=2" (that's where i first saw it mentioned... it does in fact give a higher xbench!)

-Add cpus=2 to com.apple.boot.plist like this:

<key>Kernel Flags<key><BR><string>cpus=2</string>

Full Trackpad options using the 10.5.5 keyboard.prefpane, again thx goes to volsk!

Hibernation upon closing lid:

thx for the post, volsk :) (get ClamshellDisplay.kext bellow...use Kext Helper!)

^Note on why I left the ClamshellDisplay.kext out of the original install: if you close the lid without hibernation enabled you will have a kernel panic when it tries to go into regular sleep.

*UPDATE* March 22nd

A user has pointed out that the attached video kext does NOT support monitor output... HOWEVER... the kext "GMA950_output working_tearing" does. choose it only if you must have output... or use both kexts and alternate them.

*Download the kexts attached bellow or use SticMAC's Mediafire Link

!!!Use either the AppleSMBIOSEFI patcher durring install or SMBIOS.kext after install!!!

!!!DO NOT USE BOTH!!!

Is there a way to update the distro to 10.5.8?

• 2 months later...

you need to read.

i'm pretty new to these how to sites and i've been following this thread due to having an aspire. the one thing i've noticed is how rude some of you guys can be.

i understand you must get a billion requests for things that are posted else where, but is it necessary to be an ass? i use #3 above as an example.

why not just not reply?

anyway, i wanted to say thanx to you guys, i have my aspire running "so-so", something with the hda, i'll keep looking; but it boots sweet in safe mode.

thanx everyone.

oh, the issues i'm having are my own damn fault.

i just had to update to 10.5.8 combo, so where my problems lie, i'm not really sure yet; just gotta keep reading but just wanted to add that this guide if you follow it is pretty simple even for a new guy.

i have gotten snow running on a dell d620 so the acer isn't my first hack, but it has been a bit more challenging.

thanx again to everyone that helps all us new guys get their pcs running a decent system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone is working trying to make the ext. mic input work. I've tested many kext's for it and I've found that in every try that "works" only 3 out of the 4 audio devices work (speakers, headphones, internal mic, line in) isn't there a way to try to incorporate those kext's into a fully working audio kext?

also, every time I try to look up the info on the graphics in system profiler I get a KP, I'm running XxX distro updated to 10.5.8 and everything works great just the external mic, card readers(of course) and this.

cheers,

Ed