Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Anyone got an idea why this board is not available anywhere any longer? Suggestions on where to find it?

totally sold out in europe, i've called shops all over it. they are not able to order them any more, i belive it's out of production. socket 775 byebye, also ddr2 prices are going up. thats sad, there is still so much live in this technology, actually it offers all the power i would need for the next years

I have everything working except for sleep. If I engage sleep, fans never shutdown and bios needs to be reset after powerdown. Any suggestions?

Cameleon RC3

DSDT.aml on root

In Extra... com.apple.Boot.plist, fakesmc.kext, openhaltrestart.kext, platformUUID.kext

In Extra/E AppleHDA.kext, fakesmc, OHR, platformuuid, smbios.plist

Flashed bios with lastest p5n.rom

Not sure which ones are being loaded, but originally when I installed it months back, i need the kexts in SLE's to get it to boot.

Thoughts?

I have everything working except for sleep. If I engage sleep, fans never shutdown and bios needs to be reset after powerdown. Any suggestions?

Cameleon RC3

DSDT.aml on root

In Extra... com.apple.Boot.plist, fakesmc.kext, openhaltrestart.kext, platformUUID.kext

In Extra/E AppleHDA.kext, fakesmc, OHR, platformuuid, smbios.plist

Flashed bios with lastest p5n.rom

Not sure which ones are being loaded, but originally when I installed it months back, i need the kexts in SLE's to get it to boot.

Thoughts?

OK. If you are using an External GPU or a card in PCI Slot 2 sleep isn't working yet. If you aren't doing any of that then:

Remove the DSDT (you don't need it if using modded bios), remove all the kexts in /E/E and use the ones I attach. Make sure your /S/L/E is all vanilla. that works for me. Also, I use bootthink 2.3.18 and not chameleon, as with that I can boot the retail DVD using the same kext pack.

Extensions.zip

I am having what seems to be a problem..I am running optical audio out to a Yamaha Digital Amp. Now sound is coming through ad it SEEMS to be in surround sound,

What file are you playing, and does it have an AC3 or DTS audio track? If so, then your receiver should switch its indicator light to show that it's receiving either Dolby Digital or DTS audio.

when going to applications -> utilities -> Audio Mdi Setup I have no surround sound options in built-in Digital Output -> speaker config -> multichannel...

My advice is to not even screw around with this. Apple has jacked-up digital audio passthough so badly in OS X that you will have difficulty knowing if it's a computer setting or a receiver setting. Just use Plex or XBMC since they automatically switch to digital optical output, provided the audio of your source is in AC3 or DTS.

OK. If you are using an External GPU or a card in PCI Slot 2 sleep isn't working yet. If you aren't doing any of that then:

Remove the DSDT (you don't need it if using modded bios), remove all the kexts in /E/E and use the ones I attach. Make sure your /S/L/E is all vanilla. that works for me. Also, I use bootthink 2.3.18 and not chameleon, as with that I can boot the retail DVD using the same kext pack.

Had a tuner card in Slot 1 (according to manual). Removed it, now sleep works!!! THANK YOU!

Any suggestions on a board that is available that is as solid as this board? Since this board is not available any longer.... Thanks!

@General Cartman

would you be kind enough to post your BootThink iso / USB key image ? The BootThink downloads seem to have disappeared from the the BootThink thread.

with thanks,

NWJ

Here you go -> http://rapidshare.de/files/48970516/booter.dmg.html

Image of my USB stick.

@General Cartman

Thanks, man.

Downloaded OK now I will try to work out how to use it .......

NWJ

I made the image with Carbon Copy Cloner, a piece of free software. Just download that and restore the image to a USB stick and it should work. You just might need to edit SMBIOS.plist, as well the the INFO.plist in the cpu-injector kext to display the correct system info for your system.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1342646

it's because the iGPU is inactivated

once you activate it, and make it primary, you'll 1) have sleep and shutdown working and 2) a blind boot (provided your monitor is hooked to your add-on graphics). If you have 2 monitors, hook one to the 9300 and you're set.

If you don't make it primary and default to PCI-e, then OSX won't boot.

Negative. I enabled iGPU and still have the same problems in 10.6.2. Sleep and shutdown fail, although they seem to work fine in 10.5.8. I have the same problem in both systems running this same motherboard and one has no PCIe graphics card.

Also, is it normal for Kerberos to constantly crash (just watching console, it crashes over and over indefinitely, on two different systems using this same motherboard)? This happens if any sharing (maybe only file sharing?) is enabled.

My system is working great except for following (SL 10.6.2):

- Sleep and shutdown fail. display turns off but fans keep running

- Hard drive seems to power down and up (I can hear it in my loft from downstairs!) even though I have 'sleep hard drive' unchecked in power pref pane.

I have loosing USB problem after sleep with Ralink 2570 wireless USB.

Symptom is so simple. I have to replug USB dongle after sleep.

I applied dsdga's latest mod bios. (p5n.rom)

Without this problem, everything is perfect.

I only use fakesmc.kext, openhartrestart.kext, legacyHDA~ , IOAHCIblock~

Here is console message concerning USB problem.

10. 1. 14. 오전 11:06:00 kernel USBF: 759.977 USB (EHCI):Port 1 on bus 0x26 - port enabled but not suspended. clearing enable bit: portSC(0x301005)

the usb sometimes not working after sleep is a problem i don't understand.

i have three of this boards and not all systems do have this problem nor does it happen everytime, one of this boards is driven with an none standard atx power source, it never works right. with my main system there is no problem at all as long as i wake it from sleep with the usb keyboard, all usb devices continue to work (beside the notice from osx telling me i should eject usb sticks before removing them, when i have one plugged while the pc sleeps, but it seems to be still mounted)

woho, thats complex to explain in a foreign language

I have this: an Intel e8400 3.0ghz, 4gb of dual channel 800mhz patriot ram, 250gb seagate sata, an hp dvd burner w/ lightscribe, and an Asus P5N7A-VM. How do I install snow leopard on this. I have tried Kalaway, and many others, I am looking to try just a retail disk and boot-132, what do you think?

I seem to have broken my USB ports...

I still have USB keyboard and mouse working, but nothing USB storage wise..

When booting up in verbose I see errors about cannot take USB control from bios, then something about USB halted, could not do something after 100ms.

Recently installed Paragon NTFS for mac os and virtual box..

Any ideas on how to fix?

I seem to have broken my USB ports...

I still have USB keyboard and mouse working, but nothing USB storage wise..

When booting up in verbose I see errors about cannot take USB control from bios, then something about USB halted, could not do something after 100ms.

Recently installed Paragon NTFS for mac os and virtual box..

Any ideas on how to fix?

change USB from Hi-speed to Full-speed (or is it vice versa..). Essentially, you need the one that corresponds to USB1.1

I have this: an Intel e8400 3.0ghz, 4gb of dual channel 800mhz patriot ram, 250gb seagate sata, an hp dvd burner w/ lightscribe, and an Asus P5N7A-VM. How do I install snow leopard on this. I have tried Kalaway, and many others, I am looking to try just a retail disk and boot-132, what do you think?

easiest way:

- Upgrade your bios using the patched one mentioned in this thread.

- Create an installation partition for snow leopard, copy image from retail disc to it

- Patch installation (add /Extra/Extensions) w/ the 2 or 3 required kexts (fakesmc may be the only one you need)

- Install Chameleon RC3/RC4

- Boot to installation partition and install

- Rejoice

In other news, I have been able to get my machine to shutdown on its own if I omit GraphicsEnabler=yes from boot.plist/bootup, however the last couple times I tried it, I was still getting some sort of stray process error and no shutdown even without GraphicsEnabler. Ideas?

As promised I finally got around to installing "Snow Leopard" on an ASUS P5N7A-VM - not without its problems but greatly aided by those :( who have taken the trouble to pass on their experience and insight in this forum.

To help the process I have created an OSX install disk, using lifehackers method, that fits onto a 16GB USB Key.

The USB image has been saved using "Clonezilla", a free disk/partition clone-er. I have then compressed this using WinRAR into 28 parts of <200MB.

I have tested the restore using Clonezilla from a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Slice to a Dane-Elec ZLight, it works and both USB keys successfully start SL installation.

If you are interested in downloading this monster (5.31GB), send me a personal message and I will give you the rs.com links. Please do not publish these - if I find them around the net I will immediately delete the files.

To start, download this file which contains dgsga's modified BIOS :pirate2: (Kudos and thanks), a SL specific Chameleon Boot CD ISO, and the instructions on what to do, READ CAREFULLY, then PM me for the links.

This method is very simple, you don't need to start from a MAC, and your P5N7A-VM can be in a completely virgin state, in short :

- download BIOS and Instructions

- download USB key image

- UnRAR image and restore to a 16GB key using Clonezilla

- flash downloaded BIOS and modify settings

- reboot, use F8 to boot from USB key

- install and enjoy.

:(

easiest way:

- Upgrade your bios using the patched one mentioned in this thread.

- Create an installation partition for snow leopard, copy image from retail disc to it

- Patch installation (add /Extra/Extensions) w/ the 2 or 3 required kexts (fakesmc may be the only one you need)

- Install Chameleon RC3/RC4

- Boot to installation partition and install

- Rejoice

Where is that patched bios file found?

I have a weird issue: while watching video either with Plex or VLC sporadically my system shutdown itself. Everything is ok after reboot. Everything else is working fine. I have patched BIOS, no DSDT and only EvOreboot and fakesmc in /Extra. WTF? :)

is your hack preforming a shutdown (then it's something with your software) or is the hack crashing? if it is crashing i put a bet on the poor chipset cooling. the solution supplied by asus ist really a shame, you need to get some air on this copper thing

Thnx for the tip! I don't think it's software related cause system shut itself down instantly not gracefully.

Can this be some kind of protection from overheating built into mobo's BIOS? Cause when typical system crashes it would normally reboot not shutdown. Will look inside my box anyway, thanks.