Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Shutdown seems to be failing for me now. Using modified bios, no DSDT, fakesmc.kext. Tried openhaltrestart and ev0reboot, neither working. Typically booting into 64bit kernel mode. Any ideas?

Edit: forgot to mention, I am using a PCIe video card now, and grapicsenabler kernel flag. iGPU is disabled.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1342646

it's because the iGPU is inactivated

once you activate it, and make it primary, you'll 1) have sleep and shutdown working and 2) a blind boot (provided your monitor is hooked to your add-on graphics). If you have 2 monitors, hook one to the 9300 and you're set.

If you don't make it primary and default to PCI-e, then OSX won't boot.

i also use eye tv with a dvb-s tuner and with a dvb hybrid stick thing. the only problem is that i have to restart eye tv to initialize the usb device after sleep. thats annoying but nothing more

I got around that by using sleepwatcher to reset EyeTV on wakeup.

Eject, what BIOS/DSDT/Install method did you use?

latest patched bios, openhaltrestart, applelegacyhda, fakesmc

nothing more

Well, I think there is definitely something strange with the bios mods. I'm not sure what, but here are some of my experiences...

Version 4

-Sleep - sleep works. But when you try to wake up, either USB doesn't work, replugging is necessary, or it takes forever. Trying to restart results in a hanging black screen, fans spinning, and no reboot. Reboot is only possible after cutting power to the entire system.

Version 3

-Sleep - doesn't work. It tries to sleep, monitor shuts off, fans and HD stop spin for about 0.01 nanoseconds, then start right up, but USB problems persist. Using USB fixes from chameleon RC4 don't work either.

I haven't tried V2 or V1 yet.

Specifications are below..of note

Using 9800GT 512 as video with 9300 disabled.

This differs completely with vanilla 514 bios with dsdt, when sleep fails (fans stay on, can't wake back up) when the 9300 is disabled in BIOS.

i'll test tomorrow the v4

I'll test with and w/o dsdt.. but the last dsdt must be changed in nvcap

with

Buffer (0x14)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

to match with v4 request!

is a good idea to boot with untouched s/l/e and with minimal kexts in extra. so I think that the legacyapplehda is the same as a dsdt injection. also with the video and sata.

so the alternative is the alc1200 10.6.2 kext?

I'll test the 3 combinations. then I write the result

bye

I can't test because I've KP (jmicron is the cause)

I have above kexts in Extra folder.. the last dsdt, tried to boot in -v and combination of -f -x arch=x32.. with the same error.

but I have jmicron original and JMicronATAInjector.kext. .. so how ??

in E/E: Evoreboot, fakesmc, platformuuid, sleepenabler, nullcpu (i think it can be removed), ioahciblockstorageinjector and ioatafamily snow mod.

the last 3 kext mentioned can be removed.

but the error is due to jmicron.. none of the topics above tells about jmicron mod (instead of leo setup!)

If you are using the modded bios the only kexts you need are FakeSMC, LegayAppleHDA, LegacyIOBlockStorage, EvoReboot and CPUinjector. Also, to boot Snow Leopard into 32 bit mode, you either add arch=i386 to com.Apple.Boot.plist, or use the switch -x32 (not arch=x32) at startup. You seems to be mixing them up a bit.

Hi,

I've now installed 10.6

Used dgsga kexts/BIOS from post #985

Steps:

Flashed BIOS to dgsga V3

Installed from SL upgrade DVD

Installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4

In /Extra: smbios.plist

In /E/E: fakesmc, LegacyAppleHDA

In S/L/E: EvOreboot (also tried openhaltrestart)

Currently running in 64bit

Issues:

System profiler says my memory is running at 667 MHz

Orange drive icons (not a biggie - I understand I need to be in 32bit mode to fix this for now)

My big issue is the same one I had with Leopard: If a wake event is scheduled and the machine sleeps, then the next time I reboot, the BIOS resets.

I'm using EyeTV as a PVR, and I initially thought it was an EyeTV helper problem, but it now looks like any wake event causes this.

Any ideas?

Orange drive icons (not a biggie - I understand I need to be in 32bit mode to fix this for now)

My big issue is the same one I had with Leopard: If a wake event is scheduled and the machine sleeps, then the next time I reboot, the BIOS resets.

I'm using EyeTV as a PVR, and I initially thought it was an EyeTV helper problem, but it now looks like any wake event causes this.

Any ideas?

ram is displayed correctly for me with pc efi 10.5, maybe you try switching the boot files

orange icons are not an issue, we are using ahci drives, they can be hotswaped, thats the way to dsplay them. if you want the internal disk icons, simply let you show the info of the drive and replace the icon.

wake events with eyetv don't work for me too, but i don't have bios reset problems when using sleep

Hi,

I've now installed 10.6

Used dgsga kexts/BIOS from post #985

Steps:

Flashed BIOS to dgsga V3

Installed from SL upgrade DVD

Installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4

In /Extra: smbios.plist

In /E/E: fakesmc, LegacyAppleHDA

In S/L/E: EvOreboot (also tried openhaltrestart)

Currently running in 64bit

Issues:

Any ideas?

I too have the BIOS reset issue when waking from sleep :D

ram is displayed correctly for me with pc efi 10.5, maybe you try switching the boot files

orange icons are not an issue, we are using ahci drives, they can be hotswaped, thats the way to dsplay them. if you want the internal disk icons, simply let you show the info of the drive and replace the icon.

wake events with eyetv don't work for me too, but i don't have bios reset problems when using sleep

Thanks - pc efi fixed the RAM display

All wake events work for me fine, I just get the BIOS reset on shutdown/restart. Have tried removing PCI cards, all sorts of BIOS settings. I'm a bit of a noob and no DSDT expert but I suspect there's an issue in there with where the OS is storing the wake event info (where does it store it?)

Good Day all

I am a newbie here, though I have one working hackintosh so far (hp mini 311)

My terminal knowledge is decent as I do alot of work in Linux Ubuntu..

I seem to be stuck though and before I give a description I will detail my current config:

asus p5n7a-vm - Bios version 0504

Q9550

2GB Kingston DDR2-800

160GB 2.5" Fujitsu HDD - Old drive from my mini 311

Mac OS x 10.6 Upgrade disc

I have followed hutch's guide on http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/

But I am unable to boot.

I get to the boot loader - Chameleon 2.0 RC4-r864

from there I press enter to boot OSX86. It then sits on the loading screen and I get no further than that

If I enter single user mode I see nothing that should be stopping the system from booting, but my lack of experience tells me I am missing something.

Attached is a photo of the text from the single user start-up

DSC00903.jpg

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Hi All

Have been working on finally getting rid of the need for any restart kext once and for all with this mobo but not quite there yet. Duvel300's restart fix for Gigabyte and Asus ICH9/10 boards doesn't quite seem to cut the mustard. Here's the latest updated bios with brand new JMB option ROM. Will post about restart as soon as I can. Just to remind you that unfortunately this bios will only work for those of you using the integrated graphics and not an add-in PCI express card.

p5n.rom.zip

If you ram is being displayed incorrectly, you need to edit the values in SMBIOS.plist.

To all those with CMOS reset issues using the modded bios, are you running any PCI cards or anything? It seems strange that some boards work fine and some don't. In my system I don't have problems, and I'm not using any expansion cards, so that's all I can think of.

Good Day All.

Asper my previous post you can see my OSx86 experience is alarmingly low...

I typed "exit" as per instruction in single user mode and was presented with the following:

:/ root# exit

hfs: Removed 1 orphaned / unlinked and 0 directories

NVEthernet: Ethernet xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.ee

systemshutdown false'

NVEthernet : :setlinkstatus - valid but not active

NVethernet : :mediachanged - link is down

NVEthernet : :setlinkstatus - valid but not active

Waiting for DSMOS...

and the system does not get past this stage.

Am I missing something?? and if so can someone please help or recommend another guide for snow leopard..

Would be greatful for any help

First off, I want to thank everyone for their contribution into this forum.

After reading through all 53 pages of the forum (first 30 pages was just to get an understanding of the terminology, etc)

I know have a fully working system, including but not limited to :D

full restart/shutdown/sleep

video acceleration

optical audio out

correction ram speed and cpu information displayed

successful 10.6.2 update

if anyone would like to know my methods.... ask..

and thank you all again for the time, efort and tolerance of studid questions :D

Ok First off i flashed to dgdga's p5n7avmv3.rom bios.

next i installed mac os sl as per freshcocoa's tutorial, up until the computer restarts. then

run install for chameleon rc4-r684

i copied the following:

smbios.list into extras

fakesmc.kext and openhaltrestart.kext into extras/extentions

then i dragged the following into kextulility:

LegacyAppleHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

after this i ran kext ulility on its own so that it could fix permissions for the files in Extra and E/E.

lastly I downloaded the latest pc_efi boot file..boot_10.5 and put it in root

p.s. after sl update 10.6.2 i re copied all the above mentioned files.

let me know if this works for you.

on a different note i decided to fun some benchmarks.

my spec:

Q9550@ 2.83Ghz

2GB DDRII @ 800 Mhz - Kingston ValueRam(2x1GB)Thinking about upgrading to 4x2GB Kingston HyperX DDRII-1066. Good Idea?

intergrated graphics @ 256MB

160GB Samsung HDD

asus wl-138g v2 wireless lan card

some $10 generic usb bluetooth stick

2 X lg 22x dvd writers.. Though i cannot ipmort 2 cds at once in itunes !!!!

results:

cinebench 10:

OpenGL standard test - CB 4899

Single CPU Render test - CB 3293

Multiple CPU Render test - CB 10434. Render time was 00:01:24

Geekbench:

Geekbench score - 6050

URL - http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/203354

Xbench:

Result - 170.4

just interesting...

post your results and lets see how different setups compare

Extra.zip

KextUtility.v2.3.2.full.Snow.Leo.x64.ready.by.cVad.dmg.zip

LegacyAppleHDA.kext.zip

P5N7AV3.ROM.zip

boot_v10.5.zip

OpenHaltRestart.kext.zip

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_r658_bin.tar

I have seen it round at retail stores...

I am having what seems to be a problem..

I am running optical audio out to a Yamaha Digital Amp.

Now sound is coming through ad it SEEMS to be in surround sound, but i think that the amp to virtualising the surrond sound. the following is leading e to believe this:

when going to applications -> utilities -> Audio Mdi Setup I have no surround sound options in built-in Digital Output -> speaker config -> multichannel...

another problem is the of movies s a whole wack softer tan music... I.e.when playng movie through the amp i hav to turn the volume up to about -5Db ( Yamaha Amps Volume range is from softest to loudest: -80Db to +15DB ) to hear anything.. If I then close the movie and open up itunes and begin playig a song the sound makes me jump it is s loud??

I have tried with QT player ad plex, both with volume maxed out and both have the same result

Anyone else haing this problem??

Please come save the day someone....