Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

This weekend I am about to try to set up my new P5N7A-VM hackintosh using all that I have learned here but before I get started I have a few questions:

On freshcocoa's method 1. http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/2009/09/01/t...-asus-p5n7a-vm/

Step 12. he has the chown, chmod and kextcache lines as indicated below. Others have suggested the use of Kextutil. My question is, which way is better? I used the 6 lines below on my usb HD installer, but got errors when I got to the kextcache lines and Extensions.mkext was not created. Will this be a problem or can I still install then use KextUtil?

12. Run the following commands

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

That is 6 commands in total. The last 2 commands have line breaks due to the formatting on the blog.

Question 2: Do I need com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder?

Question 3: Do I need ALC1200.kext in /Extra/Extensions folder?

Question 4: Do I need IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /Extra/Extensions ?

BTW, I will be upgrading my BIOS to 514, using a Core 2 Duo, 2G RAM.

Thanks for all of the legwork everyone has done here. It's a bit confusing for a N00B.

rich

1. What error did you get running the last command?

2. In my case, no. However I did modified my com.apple.boot.plist after I finished installation to change the default screen resolution to my monitors native resolution, I was too lazy to find out what the flag for changing resolution is so I simply used Universal OSX86 Installer and performed the set resolution to my SL drive and let it do the work.

3. Not necessarily, in my case I used kextutil to install ALC1200.kext into System/Library/Extensions/ and its working like a charm.

4. Same as above, I used kextutil and it works, you do need this kext since ACPI SATA hard drive are considered removable by Mac OS X, as a result your main drive will show up as an orange removable drive which my apple purist friend calls it "a bug you get for hacking Apple's software". This made him shut up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and good luck with your installation :)

Hi All

Yet more tinkering with the bios! Here is the 514 bios with the following features:

Native speedstep

Audio injection

Video injection

Full shutdown, restart, sleep and auto sleep in SL 10.6.1 32- and 64-bit

SATA dev-id fix

Asus 2.1 SLIC for those desperate moments when you have to revert to Windows

Slow SATA access fix (IRQ's removed from TIMR and IPIC in DSDT)

Flash bios with EZ-flash (Alt + F2 at startup)

Use with FakeSMC, orange icon fix and the modded LegacyAppleHDA (goes with bios) + smbios.plist (fixed sound distortion problems). Nothing else required!

I came to the same conclusion as Frodokenny, no need to add P-states as these are picked up automatically.

Have ACPI 2.0, APIC and S3 enabled in bios, I use PCEFI 10.3 as no sound assertion errors.

Thanks are due to everyone on this great thread as wouldn't have come up with this otherwise.

NB this bios only supports built-in graphics as I do not have a second card!

Enjoy!

FINAL_SLIC.ROM.zip

smbios.plist.zip

LegacyAppleHDA.kext.zip

Hi All

Yet more tinkering with the bios! Here is the 514 bios with the following features:

Native speedstep

Audio injection

Video injection

SATA dev-id fix

Use with FakeSMC, orange icon fix and the modded LegacyAppleHDA (goes with bios) + smbios.plist (fixed sound distortion problems). Nothing else required!

I came to the same conclusion as Frodokenny, no need to add P-states as these are picked up automatically.

Have ACPI 2.0, APIC and S3 enabled in bios, I use PCEFI 10.3 as no sound assertion errors.

Thanks are due to everyone on this great thread as wouldn't have come up with this otherwise.

Enjoy!

Thank you! Worked great! Still cant get the shutdown restart to go though - still get "Still Waiting for AppleUSBEHCI" ??

Thank you! Worked great! Still cant get the shutdown restart to go though - still get "Still Waiting for AppleUSBEHCI" ??

Update - fixed that - however:

When the comp shuts down or restarts it wont actually completely shut down - The fans are still going and I have to actually shut the power off at the power supply in order to shut off or reboot - any ideas?

When the comp shuts down or restarts it wont actually completely shut down - The fans are still going and I have to actually shut the power off at the power supply in order to shut off or reboot - any ideas?

Which added kexts in /S/L/E or /E/E have you got??

No more DSDT.aml????

thanks,

rich

Hi All

Native speedstep

Audio injection

Video injection

SATA dev-id fix

Enjoy!

Well, I'm getting closer, but still no sound and shutdown/restart is not working. I flashed your BIOS, have ACPI 2.0, APIC and S3 enabled. Have FakeSMC, LegacyAppleHDA, LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext in Extra/Extensions and your last DSDT.aml and smbios.plist in /Extra. I also placed smbios.plist in the root because it wasn't clear to me where it belonged. (It also wasn't clear if you still use DSDT.aml).

When there was no sound, I tried adding ALC1200.kext using kext utility, but still no sound.

Should I try a different DSDT?

Do I need another kext for shutdown/restart to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

FWIW, I was not able to load my OSX initially without verbose mode, but that seems to have fixed itself.??

If I need to change the DSDT.aml, can I just delete the old one, add the new one and reboot?

thanks,

rich

Hi All

Native speedstep

Audio injection

Video injection

SATA dev-id fix

Enjoy!

How did you fix the shutdown issue? I have the same problem. I also can't get sound device. Are you using ALC1200.kext? Which DSDT.aml are you using?

thanks,

rich

UPDATE:

Got sound to work by using freshcocoa's (Anitanium's) DSDT.aml, but still can't get shutdown/restart. Tried adding halt/restart and sleepenabler kexts to no avail.

Also, anyone know how to get an HP CD-writer 9900ci to be recognized my OSX? The BIOS sees it at startup, but OSX can't see and CD/DVD drive attached. Do I need a different CD/DVD drive?

thanks,

rich

UPDATE:

Kramer2k,

You are the best....I changed to your DSDT.aml (post 888) and modified AppleHDA.kext, removed all other kexts except fakesmc, orange icon fix kext (used LegacyIOAHCBlockStorage.kext) and openhaltrestart.kext and everything now works!!! No need for sleepenabler or ALC1200.

Now if I can just get iLife to pass the hardware test. Any ideas?

Kramer2k,

You are the best....I changed to your DSDT.aml (post 888) and modified AppleHDA.kext, removed all other kexts except fakesmc, orange icon fix kext (used LegacyIOAHCBlockStorage.kext) and openhaltrestart.kext and everything now works!!! No need for sleepenabler or ALC1200.

Thanks,

Rich

Ok, last post of the night....I promise

@mumford - YES! Both VGA and HDMI work together

Anywho, I'm going to post my DSDT and modified vanilla AppleHDA

Regarding the DSDT and audio injection - Pin configurations are NOT needed, not much at all is. You'll see from the DSDT. It's based off of the one in post 819 (I think...)

Video was a bit more tricky to figure out, but wasn't too hard. Under XVR0 (zero), there was another entry, XVS0 (zero). So what you need to do is change XVS0 (zero) to GFX0 (zero) and add the rest of the info as needed (see DSDTSE.app if you're not sure what to inject).

If you don't want to inject an additional video card, the only thing that's changed is how audio is injected (No pin configs or other not needed info). If you want to only use this for the audio, then change GFX0 to XVS0 (zero) and delete down to Device (XVR1)

Forgot to add that all PCI cards will be seen under System profiler, including the 9300.

Also forgot to mention that I specified 256MB of Video Ram for the 9300 in the DSDT.

Regarding AppleHDA.kext,

I kept getting KP at boot when loading ALC1200 and AppleHDA vanilla on boot.

So I had a look at what was in ALC1200, and it's just the plist files for AppleHDAController and AppleHDAPlatform, which are under AppleHDA.kext/Plugins.

So I just added the appropriate entries in each kext and Voila! "pseudo-vanilla" AppleHDA, No KP, sound just as before, WITH SPIDF!

this board rocks.

Edit:

With this DSDT, you can also use just the PCIe video card, deactivating the 9300, just make sure that it's specified in the Bios to have 256 MB of RAM (whilst being disabled). I got 2 random freeze ups that haven't happened again after I set it to 256, despite being disabled. The RAM is freed appropriately though, as you can see during BIOS initialization.

Hey could you post your modified AppleHDA.kext ?

Thx

john

Kramer2k,

Thanks,

Rich

Hi All

Native speedstep

Audio injection

Video injection

SATA dev-id fix

Enjoy!

Excellent work but could you put all that you've done in a more noob-friendly way.. this thread is WAY too long and some info is out of date. What this needs is a guide post or two? What you've done sounds like its what is needed. I mean, to be able to run Leo/Snow with no issues PLUS be able to use the system for WindowsXP/7 as well is perfect.

Excellent work but could you put all that you've done in a more noob-friendly way.. this thread is WAY too long and some info is out of date. What this needs is a guide post or two? What you've done sounds like its what is needed. I mean, to be able to run Leo/Snow with no issues PLUS be able to use the system for WindowsXP/7 as well is perfect.

I do agree with Methanoid. Anyone, please give us a working instruction on how to configure P5N7A-vm setup. I'm going to build my first hackintosh basing on subj motherboard and intel e5300. You guys say that it's a best motherboard for HTPC but when i look at 50 pages you posted here I can't even imagine how it is possible to configure it.

Hope somebody will write in instruction.

Thank you in advance!

You and Methanoid are correct about the length of this post, but the first 38 pages are so are related to OSX 10.5, so you don't really need to read them unless you run into problems.

If you go to http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/2009/09/, the "recipe" is all there. I used his "method 1". The only change I made was to use the DSDT.aml files and kexts from post.888 (Kramer2k) since I had sound and restart/sleep problems. That solved my problems.

I have not had luck with dgsga's method yet.

I hope that helps.

It is a nice board and is much faster them my real mac mini!

Rich

I do agree with Methanoid. Anyone, please give us a working instruction on how to configure P5N7A-vm setup. I'm going to build my first hackintosh basing on subj motherboard and intel e5300. You guys say that it's a best motherboard for HTPC but when i look at 50 pages you posted here I can't even imagine how it is possible to configure it.

Hope somebody will write in instruction.

Thank you in advance!

Hey all, so I'm not sure why, but my previously posted DSDT gave me some issues with sleep / restart. It was originally based off of Anant's. So I took FrodoKenny's and did some tinkering and now sleep / shutdown work great for me.

I'll post my original again, as well as the recent mod's to Frodo's

Anant's has addition info regarding P-states (or is it C-states?), so it's a little bigger.

But like I said, Frodo's get's me sleep / shutdown, with CPU fan and PSU fans stopping completely.

Try whichever you want, let me know which one works for you, so I know which one to push in the future!

Kramer2k_dsdt__Frodo_.aml.zip

Kramer2k_dsdt__Anant_.aml.zip

damn, asus didn't make enough of these boars, they are completly sold out (at least in europe)

i could cry, it was (is) so a perfect board. i do understand that time moves on but i really like to buy just one more

i bought a refurbished one in the uk, it will cost me in total over 160€, thats tough but it safes a lot of time in setting it up and no external gfx needed. there are some gigabyte boars left but they have the 2gb issue. there are some other boards with this chipset, but no thread supporting it on insanely

All,

Read through most of this huge thread and its brought me from KPs to a working machine (S/PDIF out even works). However, I'm still suffering poor graphics performance.

I've tried most DSDT/kext combinations here (Ufdah's, diaboliK's, antanium's, etc.), but it still results in very choppy HD quicktime performance. Netflix Watch Instantly also stutter's and will drop frames every couple of seconds. But the GeForce 9300 can do way better! (When I boot into Ubuntu on this board I can get perfect HD playback with the latest Nvidia drivers). Going out HDMI in a Samsung LCD TV.

I'm currently using Freshcocoa's DSDT/kexts in 64 bit mode, which is the "least bad" graphics performance. Here is my System Profiler, looks normal:

screenshot.png

Running the latest Asus BIOS (v514 I believe), Celeron 1.6 GHz CPU, 2GB Corsair RAM. I've tried NvKush, NVenabler, and everything is stutter-city. The OpenCL benchmarks are pretty poor: only 10 gigaflops for dual-core on Galaxies, and only 15 fps on displacement. In contrast my other Hack with a GeForce 8600 is getting 33 gfs and 46 fps under 10.6.1.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

You and Methanoid are correct about the length of this post, but the first 38 pages are so are related to OSX 10.5, so you don't really need to read them unless you run into problems.

If you go to http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/2009/09/, the "recipe" is all there. I used his "method 1". The only change I made was to use the DSDT.aml files and kexts from post.888 (Kramer2k) since I had sound and restart/sleep problems. That solved my problems.

I have not had luck with dgsga's method yet.

I hope that helps.

It is a nice board and is much faster them my real mac mini!

Rich

Hi there, I took the plunge this week and built mine with a 3gig Core Duo and 4GB ram for a HTPC setup.

I've had a few issues up till now.

On my first few tries from the instructions on 'Freshcocoa' it would just not boot. I followed all the instructions to the letter. I belive my issue was with the following:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

It kept saying not found, move anyway might find later or something to that sort. The only file that was not a direct download link was Chameleon, I just used the latest one they had on there site as of 10/20/09.

I then took a chance using the Kext Utility I found on one of there blogs on the same site. It says all good, I put the HD in the new machine, and it booted. Great, but now it only boots 1 in 6 tries. Just shows the apple, or sometimes asks me to Hold the Power Button, Any ideas?

I just down loaded all the new versions of the download links in the instructions from the Netkas website, as it seems the ones that the instructions link to are old, do you think that will help? I can’t try till friday.

I also had to manually alter the apple.boot file to automatically start OSX, is that normal, as I want to use a Blue Tooth keyboard, and that wasn't working to start the boot loader. (I installed a Blue Tooth dongle that works in OSX fine, once booted)

I have also spotted that in About This Mac, it says the processor is 3ghx Unknown, is that right ?

Lastly, sorry, whats the easiest way of doing a duel boot to have OSX and Windows 7?

I’m using a Core 2 Duo E8400 with 4 gig of RAM as a HTPC. BIOS setting matched with Google Doc from the 'Freshcocoa site.

Cheers

Nathan

Guys,

I have the same probleme, i get KP all the time. I can't get SL to boot with USB set to HI speed.

Also when booting, it says that he won't load AppleHDAController.

Kramer2k what did you add in the AppleHDA kext ?

Thks

John

EDIT: it seems that when i update to 10.6.1, I get less KP. But I cannot restart/shut down properly ( fans are still on) and i get sound assertion

Folk,

Please help me to setup my hackintosh on Snow Leo.

I'm using the first method on freshcocoa. Everything goes fine till this moment:

Download the Chameleon RC1 binary here.
Install using the method in the readme file in the “docs†folder – ensure you use diskutil list in terminal and make sure you are installing to the right disk (most likely disk1).
Create a folder named Extra on the root directory of the hard drive you are installing Snow Leopard to.
Create a folder named Extensions inside the Extra folder you just created.

The problem with installing this Chameleon. I look at the readme o their site but can undertand not too much:

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
  		sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
	  sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
	  sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

Can you please tell me if this installation is described somewhere in more friendly way? What should I exactly do?

Thank you very much in advance!

Folk,

Please help me to setup my hackintosh on Snow Leo.

I'm using the first method on freshcocoa. Everything goes fine till this moment:

Download the Chameleon RC1 binary here.
Install using the method in the readme file in the �€œdocs�€� folder �€“ ensure you use diskutil list in terminal and make sure you are installing to the right disk (most likely disk1).
Create a folder named Extra on the root directory of the hard drive you are installing Snow Leopard to.
Create a folder named Extensions inside the Extra folder you just created.

The problem with installing this Chameleon. I look at the readme o their site but can undertand not too much:

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
  		sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
	  sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
	  sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

Can you please tell me if this installation is described somewhere in more friendly way? What should I exactly do?

Thank you very much in advance!

I assume you know how to use Terminal and some basic commands to navigate through folder structures.

1. I suggest you copy the i386 folder to the root of your current hard drive (e.g. Macintosh HD).

2. open terminal window and type "cd " (that's cd followed by a space) then open a finder window and navigate to your hard drive root where you just copied i386 folder to.

3. drag the i386 folder onto the terminal window, this will help you finish the path in terminal, so you don't have to type it

4. type:

"diskutil list" (without the quotation marks)

and it should show you all the disk you currently have connected on your machine, identify the partition that you wish to install Chameleon bootloader to, and note its Disk Identifier (e.g. disk0s1)

5. run the commands found in chameleon bootloader readme file, for example if my target disk is disk0s1 I will type:

"sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0"

"sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1"

"sudo cp boot /"

Please be sure when you run the above commands you are still inside the i386 folders. (that means, if you messed up somewhere before you reach step 5, make sure you repeat step 2 and 3 before you do step 5)

Good luck!

-----------------------EDIT--------------------------

forgot to mention, make sure you type the commands EXACTLY, don't miss any spaces and note that's boot0 (zero) not an O and on second line its boot"1"(one)h not "L"

CAN ANYON HELP ME MOD P5QL PRO

When asking a question in this forum (and any other forums quite frankly),

please provide as much information as possible, otherwise no one will understand what you need done, and thus no one will reply.

Since you ask that question here, I'm assuming you want to install Snow Leopard on a ASUS P5QL Pro motherboard, please let us know what steps have you tried before? what distro have you attempted to use as a work bench for the install? are you able to install any distro on it and functions properly? if not what are the reasons? which CPU do you use? what graphic card? sharing a single harddrive with Windows or on individual hard drive?

Kramer2k what did you add in the AppleHDA kext ?

I had a look at what was in ALC1200, and it's just the plist files for AppleHDAController and AppleHDAPlatform, which are under AppleHDA.kext/Plugins.

So I just added the appropriate entries in each kext and Voila! "pseudo-vanilla" AppleHDA, No KP, sound just as before, WITH SPIDF!

Regarding your sleep / shutdown problems, do you have openhaltrestart.kext in /E or /S/L/E? If so, try either one of my previously posted DSDT. Frodo's works the best for me.