Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

I hate this thread and decided I wanted to make it 1 more post longer...

In the name of god please start stating your bios version, cpu model, LEOPARD + version #, SNOW LEOPARD + version #, and relevant bios settings or this thread will continue to suck ass...

I agree. Also...there's a TON of information on this thread and in other threads on insanelymac about how to do this. All of us have spent *literally* years and years reading and updating and debugging and hacking to get to a certain level of understanding of this stuff. If you decided 6 days ago that you want to install OSX on your PC and you're having problems...suck it up and do your homework.

If you're having a hard time installing a HACKED version of OSX, you might want to reconsider undertaking this project at all. It's complicated, it's never perfect, and it requires a lot of work and learning on your part.

For me, FrodoKenny's DSDT would always break my sleep, despite using the same bios version as him. So, I took anitanitum's DSDT, and replaced the HDEF section with the code from FrodoKenny's. It works beautifully. I'm running a stock vanilla install, using bootthink 2.3 and only have the DSDT, smbios.plist, IOAHCIportinjector, fakesmc, legacyAppleHDA as made by Frodokenny, and Openhaltrestart. If anybody wants the DSDT, just PM me. Thanks heaps guys!

hey there guys, I have 10.6 installed with x64!!!

One quick question.

Will the DSDT.aml in this thread work on SN 10.6.1? At present when i look at about this mac i get an unknown processor type for my Q9550 quad core.

hey there guys, I have 10.6 installed with x64!!!

One quick question.

Will the DSDT.aml in this thread work on SN 10.6.1? At present when i look at about this mac i get an unknown processor type for my Q9550 quad core.

Right on! That's a huge jump from the last time you posted :-)

All of the DSDT.aml versions on this thread should work on 10.6.1. Just make sure that if you're updating from 10.6, if you have ANY files in your /system/library/extensions that aren't vanilla, you'll break your installation. Otherwise, you can update from system update (if not, download the 10.6.1 update and install from your secondary installation or from an installation on an external drive). Check my previous posts, i've posted my DSDT.aml and I get a proper read on my CPU.

Has anyone added discrete video entries into DSDT for a 2nd card?

I've got an 8800GT, but it shows under PCI0@0, but then it looks as if it's under IXVE@10, which I haven't the slightest clue about.

In sys profiler, it shows as NVIDIA Geforce 9300 PCI and Display with bus of PCIe

Any have an idea?

Has anyone added discrete video entries into DSDT for a 2nd card?

I've got an 8800GT, but it shows under PCI0@0, but then it looks as if it's under IXVE@10, which I haven't the slightest clue about.

In sys profiler, it shows as NVIDIA Geforce 9300 PCI and Display with bus of PCIe

Any have an idea?

I've used OSX 86 Tools to generate EFI string (9600GT) and works like a charm.

Ok, I'm about at wits end here. I for the life of me can't understand how we are all having different problems using the same board with the same DSDTs.

I thought things were hunky dory, but now for some reason, I get random KP on boot for no reason at all. And they usually occur when either I set a Time for the bootloader (either EFI or RC3), or when I just hit enter without a timer. Sometimes it will boot using -v, sometimes not...

I guess it has to be with the bootloader, the dsdt, or kexts in /Extra, or permissions of one or all of the above

Kexts that are required

Fakesmc

IOAHCI for orange icon fix

OpenHaltRestart for restart

Kexts that are required?

NullCPU - don't think so, but some people swear it causes KP without

SleepEnabler - does this even work?

So I'm on Bios 514

Using anats DSDT which he reports has working video, sleep, restart, shutdown

above kexts

and I either get random panics on boot (as described above) or sometimes it'll even show "can't find mach_kernel", which is solved by booting with my USB drive with OSX install disc restore, but then I can't boot unless I have that drive at boot.

And by no means am I a noobie doobie. I've have a P31 running 100% without problems. I'm just new to this board, and there is lots of fragmented information here that I have read about 100 times by now, but there are just so many random dsdt's, info about sleep.

So...

Has anyone else had a problem that sounds even remotely similar?

Does anyone smarter than me know why it's happening? Is it just a permissions issue (which SL appears to be a stickler for!)?

And lastly, how do you make and repair permissions on your extensions.mkext in your /Extra folder? Kextutil? terminal? something else all together?

Phew...

thanks

K

Ok, I'm about at wits end here. I for the life of me can't understand how we are all having different problems using the same board with the same DSDTs.

I thought things were hunky dory, but now for some reason, I get random KP on boot for no reason at all. And they usually occur when either I set a Time for the bootloader (either EFI or RC3), or when I just hit enter without a timer. Sometimes it will boot using -v, sometimes not...

I guess it has to be with the bootloader, the dsdt, or kexts in /Extra, or permissions of one or all of the above

Kexts that are required

Fakesmc

IOAHCI for orange icon fix

OpenHaltRestart for restart

Kexts that are required?

NullCPU - don't think so, but some people swear it causes KP without

SleepEnabler - does this even work?

So I'm on Bios 514

Using anats DSDT which he reports has working video, sleep, restart, shutdown

above kexts

and I either get random panics on boot (as described above) or sometimes it'll even show "can't find mach_kernel", which is solved by booting with my USB drive with OSX install disc restore, but then I can't boot unless I have that drive at boot.

And by no means am I a noobie doobie. I've have a P31 running 100% without problems. I'm just new to this board, and there is lots of fragmented information here that I have read about 100 times by now, but there are just so many random dsdt's, info about sleep.

So...

Has anyone else had a problem that sounds even remotely similar?

Does anyone smarter than me know why it's happening? Is it just a permissions issue (which SL appears to be a stickler for!)?

And lastly, how do you make and repair permissions on your extensions.mkext in your /Extra folder? Kextutil? terminal? something else all together?

Phew...

thanks

K

. . . . . yes; it can all seem a bit much sometimes, not helped by the iffy search function.

This useful tool will sort out your SL kext/mkext woes.

Suggest you make your own dsdt, from a clean dump in Linux, having had a browse of the FrodoKenny & anitanium orginals.

Now that the current versions of Chameleon & PC-EFI support specifying an alternative dsdt from the prompt - as in:

DSDT=/Extra/newdsdt.aml

. . . a little quiet editing can be relatively painless.

Ok, figured out that it was AppleHDA giving me random KP at boot when ALC1200 was also in s/l/e. Sometimes it would boot normally, others not. So removed both kexts. No sound for me until I edit my own DSDT. Otherwise everything else is peachy so far!

Uh oh...here's a brand new one

Anyone using this motherboard with an Alu apple wired keyboard? If so, any issues?

Here's mine...

My PSU (corsair 520 modular) is plugged into a surge protector. This surge protector is turned off whenever my computer is off. To turn on the computer, I flip the surge on, then hit the power button. This is how it SHOULD work....and it did work 100% with my P31-DS3L (Same PS, same RAm, same everything)

Testing using a USB dell KB, everything is fine. However, when I flip on the surge protector with my Alu Apple wired keyboard plugged in, the Power LED on the MB blinks at me and the powerswitch does nothing. Unplug the keyboard, light goes on, then I can plug in the keyboard without any problem and boot normally.

However, the obvious problem is 1) I don't want to leave the surge on all the time, 2) I don't want to have to unplug and replug my alu keyboard everytime I turn on the computer.

Ideas? Thoughts?

ok, even MORE progress

I successfully have 2 Video cards running via DSDT injection! Quad monitor baby! Too bad I only have 2 at the moment...

Still getting KP with AppleHDA after editing some DSDT, will have to probably edit my AppleHDA

And kind of a work around with the KB thing, I've got it attached to a powered hub, which works fine. Not ideal, but fine for now. I think I'll get a small non-powered hub in the near future.

post-27375-1254708340_thumb.jpg

I am planning a Snow Leopard HTPC install and have 2 questions.

Regarding dual monitors output:

Can someone confirm that I can use

VGA + HDMI?

Regarding input devices:

Can I use legacy PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse?

In case you are wondering why: They will be connected to a 1U sliding monitor with keyboard, and a plasma TV.

Ok, last post of the night....I promise

@mumford - YES! Both VGA and HDMI work together

Anywho, I'm going to post my DSDT and modified vanilla AppleHDA

Regarding the DSDT and audio injection - Pin configurations are NOT needed, not much at all is. You'll see from the DSDT. It's based off of the one in post 819 (I think...)

Video was a bit more tricky to figure out, but wasn't too hard. Under XVR0 (zero), there was another entry, XVS0 (zero). So what you need to do is change XVS0 (zero) to GFX0 (zero) and add the rest of the info as needed (see DSDTSE.app if you're not sure what to inject).

If you don't want to inject an additional video card, the only thing that's changed is how audio is injected (No pin configs or other not needed info). If you want to only use this for the audio, then change GFX0 to XVS0 (zero) and delete down to Device (XVR1)

Forgot to add that all PCI cards will be seen under System profiler, including the 9300.

Also forgot to mention that I specified 256MB of Video Ram for the 9300 in the DSDT.

Regarding AppleHDA.kext,

I kept getting KP at boot when loading ALC1200 and AppleHDA vanilla on boot.

So I had a look at what was in ALC1200, and it's just the plist files for AppleHDAController and AppleHDAPlatform, which are under AppleHDA.kext/Plugins.

So I just added the appropriate entries in each kext and Voila! "pseudo-vanilla" AppleHDA, No KP, sound just as before, WITH SPIDF!

this board rocks.

Edit:

With this DSDT, you can also use just the PCIe video card, deactivating the 9300, just make sure that it's specified in the Bios to have 256 MB of RAM (whilst being disabled). I got 2 random freeze ups that haven't happened again after I set it to 256, despite being disabled. The RAM is freed appropriately though, as you can see during BIOS initialization.

Kramer2k_514_dsdt.aml.zip

Kramer2k_AppleHDA.kext.zip

ok, even MORE progress

I successfully have 2 Video cards running via DSDT injection! Quad monitor baby! Too bad I only have 2 at the moment...

Still getting KP with AppleHDA after editing some DSDT, will have to probably edit my AppleHDA

And kind of a work around with the KB thing, I've got it attached to a powered hub, which works fine. Not ideal, but fine for now. I think I'll get a small non-powered hub in the near future.

You get an AppleHDA kernel panic with chameleon and snow leopard in 64-bit. Boot with arch=i386.

EFIv10.3 should fix it. Didn't check.

Ok, last post of the night....I promise

@mumford - YES! Both VGA and HDMI work together

Anywho, I'm going to post my DSDT and modified vanilla AppleHDA

Regarding the DSDT and audio injection - Pin configurations are NOT needed, not much at all is. You'll see from the DSDT. It's based off of the one in post 819 (I think...)

Pin configuration are only needed to show info in SystemProfiler. So it's need is only cosmetic as has been said a few times before. I guess it depends on what your "needs" are...

Hey Frodo,

KP happened with both 32 and 64 bit without unmodified AppleHDA and ALC1200, and from my experience, the pin config in DSDT does not change things in System Profiler. The way I understand it, DSDT tells the driver to look for layout 12 in AppleHDA, and then based on the info in the plist files (not sure if it's the one in Platform or Controller), determines what is shown in System Profiler.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but that's how I currently understand how it works.

Anyone run into a problem where they get a blue screen, as if Snow Leopard is trying to load the login screen, but it gives the black "pinwheel", disappears, and comes back a few seconds later?

Basically, today was a day of random hiccups. Had to burn a DVD, and my DVD burner is IDE. KP'ed the first burn attempt, rebooted and I could burn my discs, but audio was gone. Rebooted again to see if it would correct itself, but it KP'ed on every reboot since.

So, I installed the newest version of Chameleon RC3, dabbled with a few of the kexts posted in the last week or two and even threw it the new DSDT.aml files. Now, when I boot up with "DSDT=/Extra/dsdt.aml", it gets as far as the blue screen after the grey Apple screen. Doesn't make it to the next step which is usually the obnoxious SL wallpaper and the login screen.

Any ideas? It seems like the OS is still there and functioning properly, but somehow something {censored} the bed with the kexts or whatever. After staring at the computer all day, I'm gonna hit a bar.

PS- I'm a newb. Be gentle. Links are appreciated.

. . . . "blue screen" [as in: solid mid-bllue screen] at the point described usually a sign of video output but no video-connection - ie the output ain't getting to the screen.

Initial guess would be an issue with your NVCAP [a value in the dsdt.aml defining where & what the video-outputs are] or more likely with the motherboard's BIOS-settings.

'Init display' or similar would be the BIOS value I'd look at/twiddle with - or mebbe someone with better firsthand knowledge of this exact error on the P57NA-VM will chip in.

I have similar if infuriatingly intermittent hassles [with a different MCP7x motherboard] when outputting to a plasma via HDMI.

. . . . "blue screen" [as in: solid mid-bllue screen] at the point described usually a sign of video output but no video-connection - ie the output ain't getting to the screen.

Initial guess would be an issue with your NVCAP [a value in the dsdt.aml defining where & what the video-outputs are] or more likely with the motherboard's BIOS-settings.

'Init display' or similar would be the BIOS value I'd look at/twiddle with - or mebbe someone with better firsthand knowledge of this exact error on the P57NA-VM will chip in.

I have similar if infuriatingly intermittent hassles [with a different MCP7x motherboard] when outputting to a plasma via HDMI.

Where can I find information on the proper NVCAP setting? I'm just using the onboard 9300 for video, and I have an Intel 6300 processor. The Init display setting is currently the onboard VGA option. It seems like everything is booting properly, I guess I'm just frustrated that this started out of nowhere. It gets to the blue screen prior to login, gives the black pinwheel, then goes to blue, then to pinwheel, then to blue. Never even loads a mouse, really. I know in the KP dumps before, I remember seeing Logitech kexts loading a lot of {censored}.

Also, how can I verify that the kexts in my /Extra/Extensions folder are actually being loaded?

Well, I just formatted the drive and started over. Everything was peachy, but then I updated to SL 10.6.1, and the audio seems to have gone bye bye. I literally installed nothing else, just the 10.6.1 and rebooted. Didn't change my BIOS settings, anything.

Well, I just formatted the drive and started over. Everything was peachy, but then I updated to SL 10.6.1, and the audio seems to have gone bye bye. I literally installed nothing else, just the 10.6.1 and rebooted. Didn't change my BIOS settings, anything.

Reinstall the AppleHDA.kext you were using with 10.6.0

This weekend I am about to try to set up my new P5N7A-VM hackintosh using all that I have learned here but before I get started I have a few questions:

On freshcocoa's method 1. http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/2009/09/01/t...-asus-p5n7a-vm/

Step 12. he has the chown, chmod and kextcache lines as indicated below. Others have suggested the use of Kextutil. My question is, which way is better? I used the 6 lines below on my usb HD installer, but got errors when I got to the kextcache lines and Extensions.mkext was not created. Will this be a problem or can I still install then use KextUtil?

12. Run the following commands

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

That is 6 commands in total. The last 2 commands have line breaks due to the formatting on the blog.

Question 2: Do I need com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder?

Question 3: Do I need ALC1200.kext in /Extra/Extensions folder?

Question 4: Do I need IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /Extra/Extensions ?

BTW, I will be upgrading my BIOS to 514, using a Core 2 Duo, 2G RAM.

Thanks for all of the legwork everyone has done here. It's a bit confusing for a N00B.

rich