Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Thank you very much!!!

I am going to give it a try right now and post back to you!!

You need a copy of 10.5.6 or above, the 10.5.4 disc won't work. You'll still need to be able to boot from a Chameleon CD that will need to be built on OS X.

Basically, it's easier if you already have Mac OS X installed.

I'm feeling generous, so I made this boot disc for you. It's got snow leopard stuff, let me know if it works for Leopard

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lnnnmkz3wkl/p5n7a-vm.iso

Boot the Retail DVD:When the bootloader ask you for rescan, press ENTER.Go to boot options (f8), Swap disks, then press ESC to rescan drive. When the name of the DVD appears, press ENTER.

@anitanium

Care to write a long definition about what a "perfect" install is? I think you might find your definition varies from others...

Especially if people get technical...

Are you using a bootloader such as Chameleon or PCEFI (which version if so)?

Do you have FULL shutdown, FULL restart, FULL sleep?

(full means the computer shuts off and/or auto restarts without leaving anything running like fans or the psu)

Which BIOS are you using and have you edited it?

Do you have deep sleep, all usb ports working at full speed, even legacy?

Do you have speedstep functioning?

And do you have 7.1 audio, audio via hdmi, optical with dts?

These are just a few questions which some might find alarming when you say you have a perfect install.

@anitanium

Care to write a long definition about what a "perfect" install is? I think you might find your definition varies from others...

(full means the computer shuts off and/or auto restarts without leaving anything running like fans or the psu)

These are just a few questions which some might find alarming when you say you have a perfect install.

Chameleon RC1 w/ EFI 10.1 from netkas

always 64-bit boot

Full shutdown, restart, sleep

all usb ports work, with usb wake from sleep (using mouse)

(legacy mode disabled, but i don't use the keyboard during boot up)

i wouldn't know if speedstep was working, but I overclock to 3ghz, so I don't really mind if it worked or not

and i don't use hdmi audio or optical, just plain analog works fine for me.

i guess the only issue is that I can't have all the audio jacks outputting at the same time unless the source is multichannel

'perfect' for me :)

and here's my 0514 bios DSDT

dsdt.aml_514.zip

always 64-bit boot

i wouldn't know if speedstep was working, but I overclock to 3ghz, so I don't really mind if it worked or not

i guess the only issue is that I can't have all the audio jacks outputting at the same time unless the source is multichannel

Do you have USB set to FullSpeed or HiSpeed? Is your 0514 DSDT different from your last DSDT?

always 64-bit boot

what about auto-sleep? (sleeps after X minutes)

Are you able to restart without OpenHaltRestart.kext in 10.6? Also, is sleep working without Sleepenabler.kext?

BTW, you were right...I hexedited my AppleHDA.kext and sure enough, I now have Encoded Digtal Output. If I choose that in the Audio Midi Utility, then quit the Audio Midi Utility, next time I start it 2ch is still chosen....this doesn't matter, right?

Any chance of getting a DSDT based on 0514? Thank you again for all of your help!!!

Yes, I can restart without OpenHaltRestart.kext, except when my external usb drive is connected. I have that same problem under windows. Didn't try restarting under snow yet though, but works under Leopard.

Keep the digital audio at 2ch, that is for systems sound and os x does not support ac3 or dts multi-channel encoding. But now you can select digital audio out under the preferences of DVD player for pass-though or enable it for Perian.

0514... someday soon, bit reluctant to update with everything working fine now

@anitanium

True, I use chameleon RC3 with full shutdown/restart and S3 sleep (only checked for sure for leopard), 0407 with SATA/HDEF/IGPU injection, never tried deep sleep, usb at FullSpeed in bios, but when OS X load the usb kexts they are back at full/HiSpeed, speedstep works, 5.1 audio with digital out but I can change this to 7.1 without digital out (only four output "positions" available), audio via hdmi does not work for anyone (maybe the new nvidia drivers support it), optical output with ac3/dts passthrough works (no encoding).

So, pretty close to perfect to me...

check, i bet it dont work.

Works for me with Leopard, display after 10 minutes, S3 auto-sleeps after 15.

Hey I have the retail DVD for 10.6 but for some reason it will not boot. It stays on the DVD -ROM Boot Priority and will not give me the options to do f8, esc.... I have everything changed in the bios as per the pics in a tutorial in this thread. what am i doing wrong? Seems straight forward to me!!!

Thank you very much!!!

I am going to give it a try right now and post back to you!!

yes, the 0514 DSDT is different

legacy is disabled, so I don't have the option to change USB to fullspeed

but it is full USB speed in 10.6 when writing to USB drives

So it's USB 1.1 speeds? Does anyone use the USBFix=Yes in their boot.plist? Does that work for anyone? I'm basically trying to get USB 2.0 speeds working.

Frodo, so you're saying you have full USB 2.0 speeds when you get into the OS?

My newest try!!!

-Changed all the bios setting as per install guide with pics

-newest firmware 1514 i believe

-Ideneb 1.6 lite edition

-formated the drive with MAC OS Extended (journaled)

clicked customize

Bootloader

- Chameleon v2 (default)

Kernel

- 9.8.0 kernel Vanilla

Ideneb x86 Essential patches

Applesmbios Enablers

- Applesmbiosefi

Nothing else for this category

Chipset

- JMicronata

Video

- NVKush

Thats it!!!

IS this the right configuration?

If not what is the right one?

And WOW it did not work!!!! Imagine that.

People there has to be something?

When you try to install at customize there should be a list of motherboards, just click and your done. Be a lot easier then 5 days reading and i am still getting nowhere.

This is a picture of the error i am getting with the iso you gave me.

Before you press enter to load the Snow Leopard DVD, wait until the green light on your DVD drive goes out. Basically, this error is telling me you're not giving it enough time to read.

BTW, I wouldn't use that iDeneb disc....retail DVD is the only way to go IMO.

The copy of snow Leopard that i have has Bootcamp on it. I am guessing that this is the wrong version?

How big the the original DVD?

Before you press enter to load the Snow Leopard DVD, wait until the green light on your DVD drive goes out. Basically, this error is telling me you're not giving it enough time to read.

BTW, I wouldn't use that iDeneb disc....retail DVD is the only way to go IMO.

Hey!!

You did get a copy working on your system before right?

What version did you use and what settings did you use.

I don't have a true copy of Snow Leopard, I do have one ordered as of today. The copy I have is 7.13 gig.

When i have nothing on the drive (formatted with Denebi 1.4 and exited the installer) rebooted with a copy of SL in my drive it does not give me the option to do anything, so i can't get a chance to swap the disc with the ISO you gave me. I have hit enter ESC and F8 but nothing.

Mac OS X comes with Bootcamp. Which version did you buy from the store, there's only one version of SL?

savestheday:

I had to agree with you retail OS X is the only way, however, when I first started with all this OS X install thing, I did have to use iATKOS just so I have a working OS X and then within that use DiskUtil and OSX86Installer to install vanilla Leopard to a different hard drive, and then boot from that hard drive.

After the leopard is installed, I took the time to repeat the installation procedure to install Vanilla onto the HDD that had iATKOS installed first. So that gives me some kind of a safety net if I ever screw up my install, I can fall back to that one and perform re-install...

With SL I followed the guide somewhere in page 39 of this thread, so I have a USB key imaged with SL install disc and Chameleon RC3 in case my SL dies.... lol

cabal2000:

I know it can be frustrating, when I started this it took me 35+ hours trying different settings to get iATKOS to work, and another 12+ hours to get vanilla Leopard installed and configured. took me a whole month reading this forum to get a basic understanding of what dsdt, kernal extension and p-states are... at last going from leopard to SL seems pretty straight forward and took only 14 hours to get it working near perfect for me...

You are really lucky someone actually built a boot disc for you :P, I basically went to download every distro I can find on the internet and try every single one of them repeatedly until finally iATKOS worked for me :D

So be patient and good luck

I have tried the Iatkos v5 distro but it keeps rebooting right at the white Apple screen. What did you do to get around this?

savestheday:

I had to agree with you retail OS X is the only way, however, when I first started with all this OS X install thing, I did have to use iATKOS just so I have a working OS X and then within that use DiskUtil and OSX86Installer to install vanilla Leopard to a different hard drive, and then boot from that hard drive.

After the leopard is installed, I took the time to repeat the installation procedure to install Vanilla onto the HDD that had iATKOS installed first. So that gives me some kind of a safety net if I ever screw up my install, I can fall back to that one and perform re-install...

With SL I followed the guide somewhere in page 39 of this thread, so I have a USB key imaged with SL install disc and Chameleon RC3 in case my SL dies.... lol

cabal2000:

I know it can be frustrating, when I started this it took me 35+ hours trying different settings to get iATKOS to work, and another 12+ hours to get vanilla Leopard installed and configured. took me a whole month reading this forum to get a basic understanding of what dsdt, kernal extension and p-states are... at last going from leopard to SL seems pretty straight forward and took only 14 hours to get it working near perfect for me...

You are really lucky someone actually built a boot disc for you :P , I basically went to download every distro I can find on the internet and try every single one of them repeatedly until finally iATKOS worked for me :D

So be patient and good luck

Hey!!

You did get a copy working on your system before right?

What version did you use and what settings did you use.

I don't have a true copy of Snow Leopard, I do have one ordered as of today. The copy I have is 7.13 gig.

When i have nothing on the drive (formatted with Denebi 1.4 and exited the installer) rebooted with a copy of SL in my drive it does not give me the option to do anything, so i can't get a chance to swap the disc with the ISO you gave me. I have hit enter ESC and F8 but nothing.

When I built my system, I built it from a MacBook Pro but I've used Boot 132 and Chameleon previously so I know they work...

To boot the Retail DVD

Put the boot CD I gave you into your DVD drive

Make sure that you choose to boot from CD and not your internal hard drive

When the bootloader ask you for rescan, press ENTER.

Go to boot options (f8)

Swap the boot CD for the Snow Leopard retail disc

Press ESC to rescan drive

When the name of the DVD appears (Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install), wait until the green light on your DVD is no longer blinking. This mean the disc is full "read"

Press enter

It should boot the Mac OS X Snow Leopard install DVD

Thanks man!!

I have a good idea what you are talking but its not giving me the option for the bootloader.

This is where I am stuck at. I do have the dvd rom setup as first boot in the bios.

When I built my system, I built it from a MacBook Pro but I've used Boot 132 and Chameleon previously so I know they work...

To boot the Retail DVD

Put the boot CD I gave you into your DVD drive

Make sure that you choose to boot from CD and not your internal hard drive

When the bootloader ask you for rescan, press ENTER.

Go to boot options (f8)

Swap the boot CD for the Snow Leopard retail disc

Press ESC to rescan drive

When the name of the DVD appears (Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install), wait until the green light on your DVD is no longer blinking. This mean the disc is full "read"

Press enter

It should boot the Mac OS X Snow Leopard install DVD

Ok!!

I have formatted the 300 gig sata drive (its the only drive connected)

I have gone to the bios to double check if the dvd rom (sata) is setup for first boot, it is (its the only dvdrom in the system).

I have turned off the system, unplugged it, waited 30-45 sec and turned it back on.

I have placed the cd you did for me in the dvd rom drive.(I have burnt this twice, once to cd and the other to dvd+r both at 2x)

I have then rebooted again to be sure that it will be picked up.

This is as far as i can get. (see pic below) I can't do anything from there. Can't Enter, F8 or Esc

Sorry savestheday i don't see the Chameleon screen. can you double check the iso you did to see if its right?

I'll check it out but from what you showed me before, where it was saying BIOS READ ERROR or whatever, that's a common screen you see after chameleon

Ok!!

I have formatted the 300 gig sata drive (its the only drive connected)

I have gone to the bios to double check if the dvd rom (sata) is setup for first boot, it is (its the only dvdrom in the system).

I have turned off the system, unplugged it, waited 30-45 sec and turned it back on.

I have placed the cd you did for me in the dvd rom drive.(I have burnt this twice, once to cd and the other to dvd+r both at 2x)

I have then rebooted again to be sure that it will be picked up.

This is as far as i can get. (see pic below) I can't do anything from there. Can't Enter, F8 or Esc

Sorry savestheday i don't see the Chameleon screen. can you double check the iso you did to see if its right?

Thanks man!!

I have a good idea what you are talking but its not giving me the option for the bootloader.

This is where I am stuck at. I do have the dvd rom setup as first boot in the bios.

post-194478-1253830379_thumb.jpg