Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Not getting that error now, but i think at that time i had tried to install Denebi 1.4 with no luck and it was still on that drive.

I'll check it out but from what you showed me before, where it was saying BIOS READ ERROR or whatever, that's a common screen you see after chameleon

cabal2000, I'm still trying to figure this out. You're right, for some reason, the GUI isn't showing with that CD I made you. I'll try to remake it but in the meantime, keep reading up on this forum.

As for my stuff, Frodo just wanted to give you an update:

- With that new DSDT, my video had some "tearing" in Plex. It was very odd and something I didn't notice until I switched

- Using LegacyAppleHDA.kext, I was able to get sound. I HexEdited AppleHDA.kext with the hex you told me to replace and as I said before, I see Encoded Digital Audio in the Audio Midi app. Everything is great there except for one problem: when I play a DTS encoded material in Plex, I get sound but when I end the movie, I get no sound in Plex (menu clicks, etc). When I exit Plex, my sound is distorted. I've tried going back to the DSDT I created and ALC1200.kext and it's the same thing which leads me to believe it's whatever was edited in AppleHDA.kext. Have you or anyone ever seen this? Should I just rebuild at this point?

- To further add to my frustration, when I load Leopard (I have a separate HDD for Leopard with a separate Chameleon USB with your old DSDT), I do not get this problem. I still have Encoded Digital Audio in the Midi app but I'm using an edited AppleHDA.kext that I don't remember where I got it from. I've attached it to this post in case you can make heads or tails of it.

Anyone else using this board as an HTPC? Any of you see these issues? I know that some might say to stick with Leopard if it's working, but I really dig the speed of SL and I find it's a little snappier with some HD video playback. Thanks again for all of your help

AppleHDA_WORKING.zip

Thanks that would be great.

If i could figure out how to get 10.5.6 working on one drive it would be easier to do 10.6 but i am still having no luck.

Any help people on what configuration I need to use would be very appreciated.

Trying to install iDeneb 1.4 at present.

Cabal2000

Okay...

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get shutdown/restart working. It doesn't matter which DSDT I use, or whether or not I use openhaltrestart.kext. This is driving me crazy, as everybody else says they have shutdown/restart working. I can't figure out whether this is a BIOS issue or a software issue or what. Anybody have any ideas?

Oh, and FrodoKenny...with the DSDT you posted, I lose video. This brings me back to savestheday's question a while back: if we're all using the same board, why do we all have such different results?

Note: I have a mildly complicated setup. Chameleon 2 RC2 is installed to a separate EFI partition (but has the updated snow leopard boot file). I have three partitions that I can boot from...a main 10.6 installation, a backup 10.6 installation to fix the main install with if i screw it up, and a Windows 7 installation. All boot and work fine, EXCEPT for shutdown/restart.

Any ideas? Thanx...

As for my stuff, Frodo just wanted to give you an update:

- With that new DSDT, my video had some "tearing" in Plex. It was very odd and something I didn't notice until I switched

- Using LegacyAppleHDA.kext, I was able to get sound. I HexEdited AppleHDA.kext with the hex you told me to replace and as I said before, I see Encoded Digital Audio in the Audio Midi app. Everything is great there except for one problem: when I play a DTS encoded material in Plex, I get sound but when I end the movie, I get no sound in Plex (menu clicks, etc). When I exit Plex, my sound is distorted. I've tried going back to the DSDT I created and ALC1200.kext and it's the same thing which leads me to believe it's whatever was edited in AppleHDA.kext. Have you or anyone ever seen this? Should I just rebuild at this point?

- To further add to my frustration, when I load Leopard (I have a separate HDD for Leopard with a separate Chameleon USB with your old DSDT), I do not get this problem. I still have Encoded Digital Audio in the Midi app but I'm using an edited AppleHDA.kext that I don't remember where I got it from. I've attached it to this post in case you can make heads or tails of it.

That is strange, because I did not change any of the injected values for video. Are you sure this is only with the new version?

I don't use Plex, but I know that when I use FrontRow, the audio switches back to 2 channel in the menu's and when fast forwarding for example. This is because it only passes through the 5.1 and os x switches back to 2.0 pcm for system sounds and music etc. Makes my receiver "click", which is a bit annoying, but nothing you can do. I seems like Plex doesn't handle this right, which would make it a bug...

The AppleHDA you posted is the one you get when you use Taruga's patcher. It is an old binary from 10.5.0. I don't know how it's patched, but probably in the same way.

Okay...

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get shutdown/restart working. It doesn't matter which DSDT I use, or whether or not I use openhaltrestart.kext. This is driving me crazy, as everybody else says they have shutdown/restart working. I can't figure out whether this is a BIOS issue or a software issue or what. Anybody have any ideas?

Oh, and FrodoKenny...with the DSDT you posted, I lose video. This brings me back to savestheday's question a while back: if we're all using the same board, why do we all have such different results?

A good question. I guess there are many variables involved and I didn't test every situation. I used the VGA and DVI outputs, which obviously work. Furthermore I have a pretty plain system with only a WLAN pci-card and a bluetooth usb added and not much else. You could try to remove as much as possible from the system, see if it works, and put back stuff one by one to see if something breaks it...

Cabal2000:

All I did to get iATKOS to boot is just use the -f boot command, if my memory serves me correct, it has to do with the network driver in iATKOS not fully compatible with this MB.

Also, this may seem stupid but from looking at the screen shots you posted, is your DVD drive SATA or ATA? if its ATA make sure its on primary (at the end of the cable instead of the second plug), also on the DVD set jumper to primary, these things do matter when it comes to booting an OS. Also try to remove any other hard disk, DVD roms that you won't need. and make sure your HDD is NOT plugged into one of those red plugs on the board, according to a post earlier in this thread these red ones don't support AHCI.

Good luck, and if you still can't get it to work I will download the boot disc from savestheday and try it myself.

That is strange, because I did not change any of the injected values for video. Are you sure this is only with the new version?

I don't use Plex, but I know that when I use FrontRow, the audio switches back to 2 channel in the menu's and when fast forwarding for example. This is because it only passes through the 5.1 and os x switches back to 2.0 pcm for system sounds and music etc. Makes my receiver "click", which is a bit annoying, but nothing you can do. I seems like Plex doesn't handle this right, which would make it a bug...

The AppleHDA you posted is the one you get when you use Taruga's patcher. It is an old binary from 10.5.0. I don't know how it's patched, but probably in the same way.

A good question. I guess there are many variables involved and I didn't test every situation. I used the VGA and DVI outputs, which obviously work. Furthermore I have a pretty plain system with only a WLAN pci-card and a bluetooth usb added and not much else. You could try to remove as much as possible from the system, see if it works, and put back stuff one by one to see if something breaks it...

yeah i get that same pop in Leopard when switching in and out. I didn't see this with the other DSDT but it might have something to do with the edited AppleHDA cause I didn't see this before edited that file?

Hi,

I've followed freshcocoa's instructions (guide with pen drive) exactly and everything except speedstep seems to work. (Disabled speedstep in Bios because it gives kernel panic with pentium e6300). The only issue for me is that after I shutdown the computer next boot results into kernel panic (tells me that i have to turn off the system). Turning it off and boot again solves the problem. I think it is related to the AppleHda.kext provided by the site because verbose mode tells me something like mapping the audiojacks went not correct. Has anybody experienced the same?

By the way: Is it normal that a shutdown takes so long? (Fans run about 10sec after the monitor turned off)?

Bios: 0512

Hi,

I've followed freshcocoa's instructions (guide with pen drive) exactly and everything except speedstep seems to work. (Disabled speedstep in Bios because it gives kernel panic with pentium e6300). The only issue for me is that after I shutdown the computer next boot results into kernel panic (tells me that i have to turn off the system). Turning it off and boot again solves the problem. I think it is related to the AppleHda.kext provided by the site because verbose mode tells me something like mapping the audiojacks went not correct. Has anybody experienced the same?

By the way: Is it normal that a shutdown takes so long? (Fans run about 10sec after the monitor turned off)?

Bios: 0512

Run a repair permissions on your drive, should fix that AppleHDA KP

Chameleon RC1 w/ EFI 10.1 from netkas

always 64-bit boot

Full shutdown, restart, sleep

all usb ports work, with usb wake from sleep (using mouse)

(legacy mode disabled, but i don't use the keyboard during boot up)

i wouldn't know if speedstep was working, but I overclock to 3ghz, so I don't really mind if it worked or not

and i don't use hdmi audio or optical, just plain analog works fine for me.

i guess the only issue is that I can't have all the audio jacks outputting at the same time unless the source is multichannel

'perfect' for me :D

and here's my 0514 bios DSDT

What solution do you have so you can get sound?

Will do, thanks.

@cabal

Why don't you just check the asus site for the latest bio for this board?

Also stop trying to install ideneb -- layne sucks -- and your motherboard supports retail installs...

If Diabolik reads your posts he's gonna go in on you...

Cabal...

Just a thought...

If you have legacy USB disabled and your keyboard is USB, your keyboard won't work when using a bootcd. If this is the case, ENABLE legacy USB and set the speed to fullspeed instead of hispeed. This will allow you to press F8 with the bootcd. If that works, you should be good to go with a retail install...

Thanks man but tried that already.

body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;I have a Asus P5A7N-VM mobo

-8 gigs of ram.

-Firmware is a 504mod2.rom

I have hanged everything in the bios that i needed to.

-achi mode

-usb legeney disabled.

-ide disable

-dvd rom selected for first boot.

etc...

I am trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2 but I am getting a grey screen at bootup telling me to restart?

What should I be doing here?

I am guessing the configuration is not correct so what should i do?

I am very new to this and still trying to figure it all out. I have been since tuesday this week reading and trying different distros with no luck.

much thx!!

Cabal...

Just a thought...

If you have legacy USB disabled and your keyboard is USB, your keyboard won't work when using a bootcd. If this is the case, ENABLE legacy USB and set the speed to fullspeed instead of hispeed. This will allow you to press F8 with the bootcd. If that works, you should be good to go with a retail install...

Cabal, are you sure you tried that? Because in what you just quoted, you said that you have legacy USB disabled. I'm telling you to ENABLE LEGACY USB and try the bootcd that was made for you again.

Also...you should follow this guide, if you haven't been trying it already: http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/

If you follow this guide EXACTLY, it will work.

looks like a great guide but my issue is simply installing a copy of working mac so i can follow the guide in question. I am dealing with a virgin no per installed osx at all. The guide talks about saving to your desktop, open disk utilies and save files here, there etc... I have been reading A LOT and still trying to figure this out.

But thanks man i DO appreciate it. I did try turning on the USB Legencey wigh the same thing happening

I am trying Kalyway 10.5.2 this time. Below is a pic of the error.

Again, there is NO version of osx installed on the drive at all.

I have a PS2 keyboard installed from the beginning.

Cabal, are you sure you tried that? Because in what you just quoted, you said that you have legacy USB disabled. I'm telling you to ENABLE LEGACY USB and try the bootcd that was made for you again.

Also...you should follow this guide, if you haven't been trying it already: http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/

If you follow this guide EXACTLY, it will work.

post-194478-1254053584_thumb.jpg

I've repaired permissions but I figured out that this problem is related to something different since i disabled AppleHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Maybe it has to do with the p-states in dsdt provided by freshcocoa's site. My processor is a Pentium Dual e6300 (2,8GHz). Is there already a modified dsdt for this processor?

Thx

Cabal...

It looks like a graphics and/or permissions problem. When you're booting up your system, press F8 (if you don't know when, as soon as the ASUS screen goes away start intermittently pressing F8). You'll get a boot menu. Type "-x" to start in safe mode. If that works and it boots into the system, repair permissions with disk utility. Or better yet, partition your drive and install retail.

Remeber, EVEN IF YOU'RE USING KALYWAY OR WHATEVER, YOU NEED TO ENABLE LEGACY USB SO YOUR KEYBOARD WILL WORK AT BOOT.

Also...I think you were asking about BIOS updates. Here's the BIOS 514 file:

P5N7A_VM_0514.ROM.zip

Format a USB drive as FAT32 and copy this file onto it. Then restart your computer, go to BIOS settings, go into "tools" and go to ASUS EZ FLASH. You'll be able to select the attached file that's on your USB drive and it will update your BIOS settings. You then need to RESET the BIOS settings in order for OSX to work (i.e. Legacy USB, enable SATA, etc...)

I've repaired permissions but I figured out that this problem is related to something different since i disabled AppleHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Maybe it has to do with the p-states in dsdt provided by freshcocoa's site. My processor is a Pentium Dual e6300 (2,8GHz). Is there already a modified dsdt for this processor?

Thx

Try using a different DSDT. Either set your BIOS to 407 and use the one FrodoKenny is using, or set BIOS to 514 and anitanitum's DSDT. As Frodokenny said, there's really no reason to be editing pstates because that info should be being read automatically. So just try to use a different DSDT.

I get the AppleHDA.kext errors as well. I've always just dealt with it, as I have working sound, and restarting one more time doesn't seem like much of a price to pay. Just FYI, I'm using the AppleHDA.kext posted on freshcocoa's guide edited to work with digital audio (by replacing all instances of 8505EC10 with 8808EC10 in the AppleHDA binary) alongside ALC1200.kext from dgsga, both in /Extra/Extensions.

As far as the restart thing goes, you're lucky it works at all! Mine will sleep fine, but won't restart.