Slight Hard Drive Problem

jtle

50 posts in this topic

My parts don't get here until tomorrow supposedly, so I can't test. I have the image all prepped and ready to go though. LOL. I even went in and added stuff for the 945G graphics, but no clue if it will work...we'll see.

Ok I've got it! My HD audio is working!

The new Intel HD audio system works differenty then the "old" AC97 audio device.

Basically it comes to this:

There is a special bus for audio devices. On to this bus you can attach several devices (but usually only an audio controller is installed) In my case this is a Realtek ALC882 HD audio device on an Intel 945 Chipset.

Some people reported their ALCxx HDA was working after booting Windows XP before booting OSX. This makes sense because then the controller bus was already initialized and was probably not reset after rebooting

What I did to make ik work:

First: find the device/vendor ID of your HD audio Hub (for the Intel 945 Chipset it's 0x27d88086)

Second: find the device/vendor ID of your audio device (for the Realtek ALC882 it's 0x088210ec)

(I assume you know how to find this)

As reported before, the ALC8xx HD audio controller uses the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Open /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist and find the key "Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver"

Below this key there is something like this.

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0880 0x10ec0882</string> (add you vendor/device ID here)

Pleas note that the device/vendor ID is turned around So it's Vendor ID first and Device ID second!)

After this open /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find the key "IOPCIPrimaryMatch"

Now edit the string below and add your IO controller hub ID

<string>0x26688086 0x27d88086</string> (The second ID is for the Intel 945 chipset)

After saving the files go to \System\Library and remove Extenstions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

They will be rebuild after rebooting

Now reboot and you should have sound!

Good Luck!

X-iT

UPDATE:

If you have trouble fixing your sound under 10.4.3. (Crashing OSX on boot time) First remove the ALC882 device ID from AppleHDA.kext!

The new Intel HD audio system works differenty then the "old" AC97 audio device.

There is a special bus for audio devices. On to this bus you can attach several devices (but usually only an audio controller is installed) In my case this is a Realtek ALC882 HD audio device on an Intel 945 Chipset.

Some people reported their ALCxx HDA was working after booting Windows XP before booting OSX. This makes sense because then the controller bus was allready initialized and was probably not reset after rebooting

First: find the device/vendor ID of your HD audio Hub (for the Intel 945 Chipset it's 0x27d88086)

Second: find the device/vendor ID of your audio device (for the Realtek ALC882 it's 0x088210ec)

As reported before, the ALC8xx HD audio controller uses the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Open  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist and find the key "Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver"

<string>0x10ec0880 0x10ec0882</string>  (add you vendor/device ID here)

Pleas note that the device/vendor ID is turned around So it's Vendor ID first and Device ID second!)

After this open  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<string>0x26688086 0x27d88086</string> (The second ID is for the Intel 945 chipset)

After saving the files.

Go to \System\Library and remove Extenstions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

Good Luck!

X-iT

WOW. Good job! I can't wait to try this since I didn't have that much luck before. I hope it works. Thanks again X-iT!!

No, I don't (That's probably because I have the Controller bus working)

you mean "no need to boot winxp first" after power down ?

or just "no need to boot winxp first" after restart

and did you have audio in ?

my 915G MB use ALC880

vendor & device ID same as AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Each time all needs to boot winxp first after power down

post-302-1126162080_thumb.gif

My parts don't get here until tomorrow supposedly, so I can't test.  I have the image all prepped and ready to go though. LOL.  I even went in and added stuff for the 945G graphics, but no clue if it will work...we'll see.

Well, easy to get the hard disks working with some kext editing. :P

I have an error I get with trying to load the 915 kext though (check the Failures forum if you have experience with that).

I see the post on the audio and I'll give that a try tonight.

MSI 945G Neo-F motherboard here. With edited kexts I never even had to change any of the ATA settings in BIOS.

you mean "no need to boot winxp first" after power down ?

or just "no need to boot winxp first" after restart

and did you have audio in ?

my 915G MB use ALC880

vendor & device ID same as AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Each time all needs to boot winxp first after power down

I've never booted into Win XP on my system (well my 915 one) and audio works just fine.

what is your audio use

ac97 / HD audio ?

Well, the 915 system is normal AC97. I saw on win2osx.net the issues you were mentioning with HD Audio and booting into XP first, though. I am at work, so can't test some of these edits on my 945G system until I get home. Just a 915G here. :P

It looks like we've got the 945 chipset almost as functional as the 915 is, at least for some people. Just need to get the integrated Graphics working (have a few files edited for that, can't test yet. boo)

Just a note that it -will- work on a 945G or 945P board if you edit the right kext files (the PIIX one). There is a thread on hard disk speedup that is a sticky that has links to the files, but you'll need to put in the 945 vendor and device IDs. (PATA and SATA support).

For audio, I recommend a separate thread if it is 945 specific, as the original poster was asking about hard drives. I did post on 945G in the success forum.

• 6 months later...

Some people reported their ALCxx HDA was working after booting Windows XP before booting OSX. This makes sense because then the controller bus was already initialized and was probably not reset after rebooting

Open /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist and find the key "Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver"

<string>0x10ec0880 0x10ec0882</string> (add you vendor/device ID here)

After this open /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

After saving the files go to \System\Library and remove Extenstions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

Good Luck!

X-iT

UPDATE:

If you have trouble fixing your sound under 10.4.3. (Crashing OSX on boot time) First remove the ALC882 device ID from AppleHDA.kext!

This is verified working in 10.4.5 for Realtek ALC861 w/i945 chipset. Follow instructions above using 0x10ec0861 as the device ID for the first part, the second part remains the same under "IOPCIPrimary Match"...remove the AppleHDA.kext, Extensions.kextchache, Extensions.mkext, repair permissions reboot and you should have audio out. No input devices.

Ahh the wonderful sound of tin-ny notebook speakers...

This is verified working in 10.4.5 for Realtek ALC861 w/i945 chipset. Follow instructions above using 0x10ec0861 as the device ID for the first part, the second part remains the same under "IOPCIPrimary Match"...remove the AppleHDA.kext, Extensions.kextchache, Extensions.mkext, repair permissions reboot and you should have audio out. No input devices.

Ahh the wonderful sound of tin-ny notebook speakers...

Hi I got a k8n51gmf9 motherboard, and a realtek 880 chip, i know that in azalia codec option i need to edited it with 0x10ec0880, but for "iopciprimary" i dont know what to put in it, where can i find my io hub controller? where did you find yours?

i think if i know what my iohub controller is i can get my sound working

Please help

sorry for the dummy question...

how can i find the first one of these?i found the vend dev id for my realtek device..but i'm not sure about the first one...i've an asus p5wd2, i955 chip

• 1 month later...

Strange things.

I have an Asus w2jc laptop and the sound icon apears, but ...now sound.. :S

not on my laptop .. not on the 'jack' :)

i have 10.4.6 installed ..

my ALC882 is on Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

is there something i missed ?

• 2 months later...

Hello... i own a Toshiba with a Realtek ALC861 sound card , i ´ve edited the info.plist files with my vendor ID and device ID (0x10ec0861 for my case) and the IOPCIPrimaryMatch with <string>0x26688086 0x27d88086</string> , removed the .mkext files, repired permissions and rebooted.. but my sound still not working. what other instructions i have to do to get my sound card working???

Please Help....thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
This is verified working in 10.4.5 for Realtek ALC861 w/i945 chipset. Follow instructions above using 0x10ec0861 as the device ID for the first part, the second part remains the same under "IOPCIPrimary Match"...remove the AppleHDA.kext, Extensions.kextchache, Extensions.mkext, repair permissions reboot and you should have audio out. No input devices. Ahh the wonderful sound of tin-ny notebook speakers...
OK.. but what about 10.4.8; 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 releses?I've never had sound on my hackie :P
Don't know. I believe it's output only. But I have to check. I'm not around for another 2 weeks
No sound on ALC861+10.4.8 and higher

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

INTEL HDA 861/862 working with a patch .pkg.no inputs .... i dont have a link for this patch, so who need this, ask for it on msn...ggabrielcd@hotmail.com. let change some tips.i Try everything. 3 days working on it. Yesterday i found the patch and saw all the work that i had, for a so simple patch, just install and restart.:)Cheers folks

• 6 months later...
INTEL HDA 861/862 working with a patch .pkg.no inputs .... i dont have a link for this patch, so who need this, ask for it on msn...ggabrielcd@hotmail.com. let change some tips.i Try everything. 3 days working on it. Yesterday i found the patch and saw all the work that i had, for a so simple patch, just install and restart.:)Cheers folks

I hope you can find that pkg. That is the first reference to a appleaziliaaudio kext I have found for the 861/862 codec. I would love to try that out. Please email me or PM me when you find it or if anyone has it please PM me.

THANKS