[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Chris, I have it working on P6T Deluxe V2. I did not have any major issues to install. During install I had SATA HD connected to port 1 and SATA CDROM to port 6. Let me know if you want to verify BIOS or other settings.

HAS ANYBODY GOT THIS WORKING ON ASUS P6T DELUXE V2. If so on what settings and did you change anything from the original post.

All Right, My System Specs:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 920

OCZ 6GB RAM 1600 Mhz (3x2)

Corsair 750W PSU

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Samsung OEM DVD Drive -- SATA -- Link for Specs

Pioneer 1910LS - ATAPI/IDE Drive (For Backup)

USB Keyboard

USB Mouse

System Connections: Only One HDD and One Optical Drive(DVD). HDD--SATA 1 & Optical(DVD)-SATA 2

NOTE: WHEN I USE THE IDE DRIVE, I CAN'T EVEN FIND THE ROOT DEVICE, SO ACTUALLY, I ONLY USE THE SATA DVD DRIVE.

Ok, the process which I went through:

1.Updated the latest BIOS to the version, 0302 from ASUS website using ASUS EZ Flash 2.

A. Modified the Bios Settings according to MJ's Post.

2.Downloaded the Boot-132 V3, from the first post by MJ.

3.Burned at 2X speed using ImgBurn.

4.Using Retail 10.5.4.

5. Start the Process

A. Insert the Boot-132 Disk.

B. When Prompt Appears to append F8, I do.

C. Then append ESC.

D. The boot-132 CD is switched with Retail OS X.

E. The following command is appended then : rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

F. Get the Error about "Determine CPU Multiplier" and asked to press Y, I do

G. When I do the following image appears:

14j4und.jpg

2mm7b5v.jpg

H. After Waiting about 10-15 Minutes, then language Selection Screen of the OS X install Appears.

I. Then I go about to the disk utility to partition the disk, where this is the last image:

116kmjs.jpg

Then it just freezes, I've tried leaving it there for over 4 hours, but with no change, and the mouse and keyboard are non-responsive. Even if I leave it at other places such as the language screen itself, it freezes there after about a minute.

Thanks for all the help.

Good Day: are you getting the same error > appleahciport not loadable? if so I was wondering, maybe we have to install the driver for ich10r ahci. Asus CD came with it and I think its done via floppy drive.

I might be wrong. CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS.

Chris, yes i have same error, but resolving this error does not resolve freeze problem.

I tried an kext that resolves all ICH* issues. I even managed to open System Profiler and saw Serial-ATA are shown as ICH10R.

Few times i opened Installer Log and been waiting until it freeze. No errors reported.

In few hours will try to make an boot floppy containing ICH10R driver using P6T drivers disc.

Chris, yes i have same error, but resolving this error does not resolve freeze problem.

I tried an kext that resolves all ICH* issues. I even managed to open System Profiler and saw Serial-ATA are shown as ICH10R.

Few times i opened Installer Log and been waiting until it freeze. No errors reported.

In few hours will try to make an boot floppy containing ICH10R driver using P6T drivers disc.

Good day: Which kext did you use. Could you give me the link, so that I will try it out and see if the problem persists.

Thanks

Can you confirm that you don't have IDE DVD drive connected to motherboard at all during install? Can you also connect SATA DVD drive to port 6 (I know it seems like a strange request by this is how it connected on my P6T Deluxe V2).

I remember I had freezing issue too but I think I tried to quickly click on erase in dislkutil and it went OK.

Sort of like do it quickly until it freezes. Have you tried that?

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 920

Corsair 750W PSU

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB

USB Keyboard

USB Mouse

System Connections: Only One HDD and One Optical Drive(DVD). HDD--SATA 1 & Optical(DVD)-SATA 2

NOTE: WHEN I USE THE IDE DRIVE, I CAN'T EVEN FIND THE ROOT DEVICE, SO ACTUALLY, I ONLY USE THE SATA DVD DRIVE.

I'm beginning to think you are right, except I can't even get past the still waiting on root error during install.

I've tried:multiple combination's of USB DVD, SATA DVD, IDE DVD, SATA HDD, IDE HDD to no avail. (what combination has worked *sorta for you Chris?)

I'm also using a PS2 keyboard... I've read bits and pieces about it causing problems, is that true?

I seem to recall someone earlier mentioning that they recommend installing a hacked version before attempting to install the retail DVD because it alleviates some issues. If that is true, what version would you recommend that will work on the p6t del v2 and is there a decent tutorial about? I'm talking about a fresh install as I've never had a working osx86 version up and running yet... I'll start anywhere... i just want to see it work on my rig :(

Many thanks in advance.

dpl: for the "Still waiting for root device" problem, after many tries, the way I got past it was by having my HDD on SATA port 1 and my DVD drive on SATA port 2. During the "boot: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel......" command, I used rd=disk1s3. This is possible because I am using a retail DVD.

You will have to use a usb keyboard and mouse now and install the ps2 fix... later as far as I understand.

Can you confirm that you don't have IDE DVD drive connected to motherboard at all during install? Can you also connect SATA DVD drive to port 6 (I know it seems like a strange request by this is how it connected on my P6T Deluxe V2).

I remember I had freezing issue too but I think I tried to quickly click on erase in dislkutil and it went OK.

Sort of like do it quickly until it freezes. Have you tried that?

I Do NOT have the IDE Drive connected and I will try to connect the SATA Drive to SATA port 6 and report back. I am trying to do it quickly, but with the same results.

Nothing seems strange at this point. :blink:

Thanks

Good day: Which kext did you use. Could you give me the link, so that I will try it out and see if the problem persists.

Thanks

Chris: see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141555

also, can you try install ICH10R AHCI driver via floppy? does this make sense at all?

after i bought floppy drive, i realized i have no connection cable for it :(

dpl: for the "Still waiting for root device" problem, after many tries, the way I got past it was by having my HDD on SATA port 1 and my DVD drive on SATA port 2. During the "boot: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel......" command, I used rd=disk1s3. This is possible because I am using a retail DVD.

You will have to use a usb keyboard and mouse now and install the ps2 fix... later as far as I understand.

Cheers ChrisV,

We have a very similar setup except for:

SATA LG DVDROM OEM

WD Caviar 1TB SATA

ps2 keyboard (will change asap)

XFX GTS 250

retail 10.5.6 not 10.5.4.... but i have tried ideneb 1.3 with the same root error at the same point. So maybe it is my ps2 keyboard

I've had my DVD on port 6 but will try it on 2 for a lark.

I've also done all of BIOS settings etc. at the beginning of this thread and used the rd(0,1)...etc

side note for you, have you tried running a windows distro on a seperate drive and formatting your target drive with id=AF?

No I have not tried installing on another HDD and formatting this one. Is that something recommended? Must have missed it.

thanks

Cheers ChrisV,

SATA LG DVDROM OEM

WD Caviar 1TB SATA

XFX GTS 250

retail 10.5.6 not 10.5.4.... but i have tried ideneb 1.3 with the same root error at the same point. So maybe it is my ps2 keyboard

I've also done all of BIOS settings etc. at the beginning of this thread and used the rd(0,1)...etc

side note for you, have you tried running a windows distro on a seperate drive and formatting your target drive with id=AF?

I forgot to mention to that... If I don't append -x (safe mode) , the last line is

Display : Family Specific matching fails

Which is probably because of my graphics card.

So gonna try the safe mode and the DVD Drive at SATA port 6.

Thanks

Well I tried having the DVD drive on SATA 6 and HDD on SATA 1 and as soon as the OS loaded I went really really fast and I got it to start the erase process and then it froze there:

35lgrqe.jpg

Ugh.... Still getting the LegacyAppleAhciport dependencies error. Gonna Give Good Days ICH kext a try next.

Thanks

Good Day: to be entirely honest, I'm not even sure OS X.5 is *capable* of using floppies.. It's been such a long time, ever since the days of the first iMacs, that floppy drives have been removed.. And in any case, installing drivers from floppies during install is a Windows trick, I doubt very much it will work on OS X. (although, you might pull a few things off using usb sticks...)

*snip*

I'm also using a PS2 keyboard... I've read bits and pieces about it causing problems, is that true?

I seem to recall someone earlier mentioning that they recommend installing a hacked version before attempting to install the retail DVD because it alleviates some issues. If that is true, what version would you recommend that will work on the p6t del v2 and is there a decent tutorial about? I'm talking about a fresh install as I've never had a working osx86 version up and running yet... I'll start anywhere... i just want to see it work on my rig :)

Many thanks in advance.

PS/2 won't really be causing problems, but will more likely not be recognized. The only problem you will cause is to yourself, as you won't be able to operate in OS X with that keyboard; not unless you install extra kexts that is, but you'll have to do that once you're inside the system. In any case: the install prog will *not* recognize it, been there - done that :( although some distro's do recognize it (all, actually, in my experience; and some even after installation without having to choose to install the kexts).

And again, indeed: installing a distro first is very handy, as it teaches you a lot about the hackintosh process, how it works, how installations work, what you need, how to tweak... Or at least - it did that for me, as I played around with different distro's (installing each one at least a few times with different options) before going into the Retail. It's a possibility to see which kexts work with you system, which ones give problems, which don't work at all.. Also - it will give you a place to fall back to in case you system b0rks (of course, remember there's bound to be problems if you use different booters on a single drive..)

Furthermore; I just looked at the ASUS site, they say the new BIOS doesn't really change anything, except improving CPU compatibility, of course - it's just the question if that's all indeed.. Has anyone tried with the old BIOS? (talking about P6TDv2 here.. as I don't have it myself, it's just speculations)

The weird thing is, if I do understand correctly, it hangs after a minute or so - independantly of what you're doing, right?

Teapot: you didn't really solve this in the end, just formatted your drive really quickly?

ps: Chris, the post you wrote in the main i7 thread mentions you run a P6T Deluxe... You might want to specify it's a v2, otherwise they'll just send you back to this thread :)

Good Day: to be entirely honest, I'm not even sure OS X.5 is *capable* of using floppies.. It's been such a long time, ever since the days of the first iMacs, that floppy drives have been removed.. And in any case, installing drivers from floppies during install is a Windows trick, I doubt very much it will work on OS X. (although, you might pull a few things off using usb sticks...)

AiBear, i meant to go under windows, create that boot floppy and install AHCI drivers

And again, indeed: installing a distro first is very handy, as it teaches you a lot about the hackintosh process, how it works, how installations work, what you need, how to tweak... Or at least - it did that for me, as I played around with different distro's (installing each one at least a few times with different options) before going into the Retail. It's a possibility to see which kexts work with you system, which ones give problems, which don't work at all.. Also - it will give you a place to fall back to in case you system b0rks (of course, remember there's bound to be problems if you use different booters on a single drive..)

i agree...

almost an year of using Kalyway really gave me good experience

but... :)

i sold my old PC, bought new one, and trying to install Retail on it.

it is not a problem at all to install iDeneb

and i did, and it worked just fine

this let me know there is all ok with hardware, and i have to do something with kexts

used on iDeneb kexts on my Boot-132 CD but this did not help me avoid freeze problem

also used much other variations of kexts - same problem

i'm almost sure i still did not found the right combination of kexts

seems my mobo is a quite different?

ChrisV09, AiBear, dpl, teapot360: are your mobos Made in China? :(

Cheers ChrisV,

SATA LG DVDROM OEM

WD Caviar 1TB SATA

XFX GTS 250

I wouldn't say it's the PS/2, as it worked just fine for me - especially on iDeneb 1.3. What flags did you use at boot?

AiBear, i meant to go under windows, create that boot floppy and install AHCI drivers
Well, I'm afraid *that* won't do you any good, as it will only install drivers for windows. The drivers for OS X are all in the form of kexts, and that's what you'll need. If I'm not mistaken, there should be a few threads about ICH10R (if memory serves me well, Netkas edited one as well).

i agree...

almost an year of using Kalyway really gave me good experience

but... :(

i sold my old PC, bought new one, and trying to install Retail on it.

it is not a problem at all to install iDeneb

and i did, and it worked just fine

this let me know there is all ok with hardware, and i have to do something with kexts

used on iDeneb kexts on my Boot-132 CD but this did not help me avoid freeze problem

also used much other variations of kexts - same problem

i'm almost sure i still did not found the right combination of kexts

seems my mobo is a quite different?

ChrisV09, AiBear, dpl, teapot360: are your mobos Made in China? :)

Ah, so you know your mobo *can* work, that's a big relief in my opinion :) now to get the right kexts.. I'd help you guys out better if I could, but as I don't have the specific hardware... Which brings me to your question: I run a P6T Deluxe, "1st edition", most of the work I do with you v2 people is analyzing and guessing (reason why it sometimes probably doesn't make sense to you :) haha); so I don't think my answer will be worth much to you. Also - I'm typing away from home now (Easter weekend), so I can't even check. But knowing ASUS: either China or Taiwan probably, which is practically the same.. (hope I'm not offending anyone)

Anyway, time to sleep :)

Good luck everyone!

Many greetings,

AiBear

Chris, from the OSX86 Tech FAQ:

Q: How can I prep a partition for OS X under Windows XP?

A: Start > Run > diskpart

Then once the command (black) window opens, type in these commands (return after each):

list disk (should show at least 1 drive listed)

select disk 1 (change this number to correspond to the drive listing number for the hard disk you're going to install OS X upon)

list part (You may or may not have partitions established on the disk you selected)

The next two steps are only needed if you are going to remove an existing partition for OS X use:

select part 2 (whatever partition in the list you intend for OS X)

delete partition

In either case, continue below:

create part primary id=AF (the drive selected now has free space for an OS X partition)

exit

Then shutdown/reboot your install DVD. If you get past the language selection, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, then click the new partition listed (usually a name like s0d2), and erase it. Request the OS X Journaled format. Then when that's done, quit the Disk Utility and continue installing.

Anyone get their AUDIo to work with the P6T Deluxe V1??

I have tried just about every KEXT out there in both HD AUDIO and AC97 mode and i cannot get any sound at all...

Hey BlueHopper;

Have you tried the kexts posted in the the first post of this thread? We have different kexts, allowing from just stereo output (modded AppleAzalea) to out- and input (modded HDA), and true HDA is on the way. Please try those, as they work quite nicely :D (you might want to try this thread as well, if you're interested).

Chris, from the OSX86 Tech FAQ:
I'm not saying he shouldn't try, but if I read his screenshots correctly, his comp only has one hd in it, which seems not to be formatted at all, so not even on windows.. And it's might still be a problem if it continues to freeze, 'cause he won't even make it that far.. You'd indeed have to move it to another comp first.. Chris: what machine are you posting from? (win/osx?)

Greetings,

AiBear

I was able to quickly go to the HD formating and it never froze since...

Teapot: you didn't really solve this in the end, just formatted your drive really quickly?

ps: Chris, the post you wrote in the main i7 thread mentions you run a P6T Deluxe... You might want to specify it's a v2, otherwise they'll just send you back to this thread :wacko:

My mobo made in China. ... But all capacitors are made in Japan :D

ChrisV09, AiBear, dpl, teapot360: are your mobos Made in China? :D

Chris, I just noticed that your BIOS has newer version than mine. I have 0102. Have you tried with that revision? Who knows may be this is the reason why it works on mine and does not on yours ...

Good luck.

1.Updated the latest BIOS to the version, 0302 from ASUS website using ASUS EZ Flash 2.

Chris, I just noticed that your BIOS has newer version than mine. I have 0102.

teapot360, mine is actually 0112, the oldest on the ASUS of-site

i had read on Gigabyte w/ X58 thread that newer BIOS could be an issue

if your mobo is P6T(ordinary), could you please PM me your 0102 ROM? thank you!

guys, during install, do you get warnings like:

Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems"

skiping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor

skiping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X

Matching service count = 1

Matching service count = 2

UUID of on-disk kernel(/mach_kernel) does not match running kernel

also, when installing, the logs shows wrong time

my BIOS date is Apr 10 2009, 03:00:00

installer logs shows Apr 11 2009, 08:00:00

is this common behavior?

actually i'm trying to install 10.5.6 retail and can not pass by FREEZE ISSUE

it is freezing about an minute after graphic installer started

anybody got 10.5.6 retail working on P6T(ordinary)?

otherwise, i have no 10.5.5 retail, but can try find an image

does it make sense?

Good Day - I have Version 2, sorry.

teapot360, mine is actually 0112, the oldest on the ASUS of-site

i had read on Gigabyte w/ X58 thread that newer BIOS could be an issue

if your mobo is P6T(ordinary), could you please PM me your 0102 ROM? thank you!

Chris, the other thing I've noticed is that I'm using 10.5.2 retail for install (yours is 10.5.4). May be that somehow is the difference that causing install to freeze on yours and work on mine?

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 920

Corsair 750W PSU

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB

USB Keyboard

USB Mouse

2.Downloaded the Boot-132 V3, from the first post by MJ.

3.Burned at 2X speed using ImgBurn.

4.Using Retail 10.5.4.

Hi

I've tried the instructions and startup went ok, however I get the error that the volume can't be set up (a screen similar to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&id=42558).

I did not have a whole harddrive available so I created a partition for it, selected it on install, it checked the dvd for errors and then that error.

Does it need a full harddisk? The disk I provided had one large ntfs partition containing some data and the OS X partition I created.

Also, when I set "Configure SATA as [AHCI]" Vista won't boot anymore, I get a bluescreen then.

Will OS X also work with IDE settings?

Also, is it possible to install OS X on an IDE disk instead of SATA disk?

Finally, I'd like to know how to set up a dual boot so I can boot either Vista or Mac OS X. How can this be done under the context of the instructions of this thread?

Oh, and I found that it says that for 10.5.6 the DSDT patching will probably not be necessary anymore (see here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683). Aren't there any Leopard DTD's out there that already include 10.5.6?

Thanx for you help!

Hi

I've tried the instructions and startup went ok, however I get the error that the volume can't be set up (a screen similar to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&id=42558).

I did not have a whole harddrive available so I created a partition for it, selected it on install, it checked the dvd for errors and then that error.

Does it need a full harddisk? The disk I provided had one large ntfs partition containing some data and the OS X partition I created.

Also, when I set "Configure SATA as [AHCI]" Vista won't boot anymore, I get a bluescreen then.

Will OS X also work with IDE settings?

Also, is it possible to install OS X on an IDE disk instead of SATA disk?

Finally, I'd like to know how to set up a dual boot so I can boot either Vista or Mac OS X. How can this be done under the context of the instructions of this thread?

Oh, and I found that it says that for 10.5.6 the DSDT patching will probably not be necessary anymore (see here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683). Aren't there any Leopard DTD's out there that already include 10.5.6?

Thanx for you help!

Hey Morkeleb,

At the end of installation, you might get an error mentioning the system could not setup you partition at the boot partition; this is normal and non fatal (had it myself, and it works fine). Just boot again with your boot-132 and continue following the guide.

In other words: no, it does not need a full disk. You can partition your disk in multiple parts, it should work nicely. Altough multi-booting isn't my speciality, as I use two different physical disks for multi-booting (one for the windows family and one for the osx family). You should check the countless dual/multi-boot tutorials for this.

Unless you will install AHCI drivers in Vista, it will indeed *not* boot in that mode; and as far as I know Leopard won't boot in IDE mode at all.. Even worse, although I'm not sure it goes for Vista as well, but in XP, if you haven't installed your AHCI drivers during install, it's a heck of a work to get it done. (if you google around for it, you will find ways, and though these are not really the easiest, once you're into computers it shouldn't be a big problem).

Alas, as our CPU's will only went vanilla at the later release of 10.5.6 (only on new Mac Pro's), you'll have to wait for 10.5.7 / 10.6 for good vanilla use, and up to that point you'll have to use DSDT patching - if you want to use all cores that is.

Well, hope most of your questions are answered now; good luck!

Greetings,

AiBear

Ok, I have installed the iDeneb(10.5.6) distro, but when it tries to boot, a grey screen displays for a split second and then the machine restarts. Any ideas?

Also, can all cores be used with the iDeneb version?

Thanks!

Ok, I have installed the iDeneb(10.5.6) distro, but when it tries to boot, a grey screen displays for a split second and then the machine restarts. Any ideas?

Also, can all cores be used with the iDeneb version?

Thanks!

To answer to your questions: yes, no.

And now the actual answers ^_^

- If you have installed the Voodoo 1.0 kernel, you'll need to set a flag on boot, "busratio=20", otherwise you'll get a constant reboot with that kernel.

- As far as I know, iDeneb uses a EFI booter that doesn't support DSDT patching; so if you're not used to changing your booter, you won't be able to use all cores. If you change your EFI booter, you could choose one that aknowledges custom DSDT patches, and thus be able to run all cores.

For now, if you're really new to the scene, use this iDeneb install as a chance to learn about OSX86, basic knowledge is worth *a lot* at later points :)

Good luck,

AiBear

edit: Correction! iDeneb v1.4 (with 10.5.6) installs PC_EFI v9, which should take custom DSDT's into account :) Though I must say: personally, I haven't had the luck of getting 1.4 working.. I tried, didn't manage it at the time, and just went with a 1.3 (10.5.5) backup and a Retail install.

If you have installed the Voodoo 1.0 kernel, you'll need to set a flag on boot, "busratio=20", otherwise you'll get a constant reboot with that kernel.

Well, that took care of the constant reboot! Thanks! Unfortunately, now it just freezes at the grey screen with the apple!