The Holy ALC663 Problem Solving Thread

Turanli

72 posts in this topic

I have a small update on the Azalia driver. I'm now successfully able to get both speakers and headphones working (although you need to manually toggle them) from a cold-boot of OSX. No more wasting time with booting into vista first. Because this program writes directly to the codec, it is able to initialize the internal speakers without need for the 'warm boot' method. It's still a workaround, but damnit it's the best we've got... for now. To get started, download the Audieee.app from the following page:

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-101853...s-ugly-stop-gap

You will also need to have the CHUD 4.6.1 dev tools from Apple's developer tools website. I don't think I can post that installer here, but if you do a quick google search or two you will find everything you need to acquire it. You'll need to make sure you don't have AppleHDA.kext installed in your /S/L/E folder, and that you have a working AppleAzalia.kext installed. See the linked post for full instructions. Remember, don't try using the installer for azalia on that linked page - since it's intended target chipset is ALC262 (or some other such chip) it will not have the correct dev. id in the .plist. If you need an Azalia driver for your ALC663, try the one on the bottom of this post.

PS - Tom, welcome to our small sub-community! I'm impressed that you were able to get the mic working. The best I've been able to do with AppleHDA was to get devices showing up in sound prefs but never had any output/input working. I've since lost that kext :thumbsup_anim: Can you post your AppleHDA.kext file for us to tinker with?

PPS - I am in no way connected with the development of this project, nor am I taking credit for it. Just sharing someone else's great work with the rest of you all! Hope this helps.

dude how did u get it to work?

i installed our modded azilla, hda kexts are not there, chud is installed, but when ever that audeee app is launched - its an endless spinning beahball, what did u do and what flavor of osx are u on?

i tried it on iatkos 10.5.5 and ipc

Yeah I'm a spinning beach ball too. iDeneb 10.5.5.

I haven't been able to get the Azalia drivers to work at all with anything I've tried. I get the speaker icon with the volume control and the output listed in sound under System Preferences but a cold boot through Vista still = no sound.

I'll keep trying and see if I can help out here.

- iCoder

dude how did u get it to work?

i installed our modded azilla, hda kexts are not there, chud is installed, but when ever that audeee app is launched - its an endless spinning beahball, what did u do and what flavor of osx are u on?

i tried it on iatkos 10.5.5 and ipc

Well I'm running a vanilla kernel, installed from iAtkos 5i (10.5.5) upgraded to 10.5.6 from apple update. I do believe it's a pre-requisite that you are on a vanilla kernel, so if you're running voodoo or some other patched kernel you'll probably run into problems.

By the way, I just received a Gigabyte Aircruiser WI06N card (Atheros AR5008 chipset) and boy am I glad I got it. Replacing my M70VM's wifi card with this has been a smooth and fairly easy process. Now I can connect natively using the airport menu, and vista recognized it right away and installed the driver. The physical wifi switch even works! That's one less thing to sort.

Well I'm running a vanilla kernel, installed from iAtkos 5i (10.5.5) upgraded to 10.5.6 from apple update. I do believe it's a pre-requisite that you are on a vanilla kernel, so if you're running voodoo or some other patched kernel you'll probably run into problems.

By the way, I just received a Gigabyte Aircruiser WI06N card (Atheros AR5008 chipset) and boy am I glad I got it. Replacing my M70VM's wifi card with this has been a smooth and fairly easy process. Now I can connect natively using the airport menu, and vista recognized it right away and installed the driver. The physical wifi switch even works! That's one less thing to sort.

OK toast we gotta talk, send me the link to order that card, and i am on vanilla kernal and stock acpi - i am using iatkos 10.5.5 and i will update to 10.5.6 but so far even on this distro nothing...

besides chud install that was it? and since we have the same laptop, is it possible for you to zip all your kexts and upload them to me? email me off board to get the link to upload, if you can dude, i would be greatful. (daniel @ lemllc . biz )

EDIT: installed iatkos 10.5.5 updated to 10.5.6 via software update, and nothing, hey toast u r using a custom bios right? or the same one from this forum version 2.07 for m70vm-x1 - correct? i still get the spinning beach volleyball.

Dont know what i am doing wrong.

Yeah I'm a spinning beach ball too. iDeneb 10.5.5.

I haven't been able to get the Azalia drivers to work at all with anything I've tried. I get the speaker icon with the volume control and the output listed in sound under System Preferences but a cold boot through Vista still = no sound.

I'll keep trying and see if I can help out here.

- iCoder

I as well now on iatkos 10.5.6 cold boot not working again, this is so annoying... but atleast we know NOW there is more people that is suffering from the alc663 card and it sucks...

OK toast we gotta talk, send me the link to order that card, and i am on vanilla kernal and stock acpi - i am using iatkos 10.5.5 and i will update to 10.5.6 but so far even on this distro nothing...

besides chud install that was it? and since we have the same laptop, is it possible for you to zip all your kexts and upload them to me? email me off board to get the link to upload, if you can dude, i would be greatful. (daniel @ lemllc . biz )

EDIT: installed iatkos 10.5.5 updated to 10.5.6 via software update, and nothing, hey toast u r using a custom bios right? or the same one from this forum version 2.07 for m70vm-x1 - correct? i still get the spinning beach volleyball.

Dont know what i am doing wrong.

I ordered my new wlan card from here:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p125/GIGABYTE-...oduct_info.html

All I've installed is CHUD and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. My bios is the latest official version from Asus (version 209). Maybe there's a permissions problem with your Audieee? I doubt somehow that the bios is the key to my success (if you call a workaround success).

I ordered my new wlan card from here:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p125/GIGABYTE-...oduct_info.html

All I've installed is CHUD and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. My bios is the latest official version from Asus (version 209). Maybe there's a permissions problem with your Audieee? I doubt somehow that the bios is the key to my success (if you call a workaround success).

is that bios modded? i use that bios and it kills the keyboard... when i apply 2.09 no keyboard or internal mouse, but even that should not be the problem for the sound. also on bios 209 i cant even boot iatkos. strange.

Well i repaired permissions, and still no sound just spinning ball, i see in activity monitor i kill the AUDIEEE output and then i am able to toggle, but it reloads the AUDIEE output and then locks again... man if u can upload your kext folder to me... also i ordered that wifi - do i have to remove all the screws on the bottom of the laptop? any guidance would be great!

thanks for all your help dude...

is that bios modded? i use that bios and it kills the keyboard... when i apply 2.09 no keyboard or internal mouse, but even that should not be the problem for the sound. also on bios 209 i cant even boot iatkos. strange.

Well i repaired permissions, and still no sound just spinning ball, i see in activity monitor i kill the AUDIEEE output and then i am able to toggle, but it reloads the AUDIEE output and then locks again... man if u can upload your kext folder to me... also i ordered that wifi - do i have to remove all the screws on the bottom of the laptop? any guidance would be great!

thanks for all your help dude...

Actually, with bios 209 my kb/trackpad were disabled by default. At first I had to use a USB mouse and keyboard while I tracked down a PS/2 enabler to get them to work. Once I figured out (by trial and error and reading) which patches to apply to get my system up and running, I have had no problems with booting from bios 209.

That aside, I'm still not sure why you can't run Audieee. Maybe you should post your problem on the author's forum? Have you tried the manual terminal commands to turn on the speakers?

PS - Dan, I added you to my msn contact list - if you want to talk about other M70VM issues we should do it there so as not to clog up this thread with off-topic stuff.

Actually, with bios 209 my kb/trackpad were disabled by default. At first I had to use a USB mouse and keyboard while I tracked down a PS/2 enabler to get them to work. Once I figured out (by trial and error and reading) which patches to apply to get my system up and running, I have had no problems with booting from bios 209.

That aside, I'm still not sure why you can't run Audieee. Maybe you should post your problem on the author's forum? Have you tried the manual terminal commands to turn on the speakers?

PS - Dan, I added you to my msn contact list - if you want to talk about other M70VM issues we should do it there so as not to clog up this thread with off-topic stuff.

fair enough i will contact you on msn, but yeah - i can not even get to boot off the iatkos dvd with 209., cpus .=1 nothing! ALSO as you can read here others can not get audieee to work too - same issues, and where are the commands for the terminal i missed that - i did hit that forum and no replys about it

Same problem in iPC -.-

Is Audioeee needed?

Have i understood this correct... The only difference between this solution and our old "azalia" is the app Audioeee, which in some magically way enables the mixer(no need to boot windows and then os x) or what?

OK 663 folks, these russians are in the same situation as us, but seem to be a bit more insightful, lets monitor this as well.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...3Dcom.microsoft:*

when u hit this link, search on the page for "663" they are updated as of today with progress.

Hey Toast, I see you volunteered for the Voodoo Beta HDA testing, any word or progress?

OK 663 folks, these russians are in the same situation as us, but seem to be a bit more insightful, lets monitor this as well.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...3Dcom.microsoft:*

when u hit this link, search on the page for "663" they are updated as of today with progress.

Hey Toast, I see you volunteered for the Voodoo Beta HDA testing, any word or progress?

What's kind of funny is that they have a link back to this forum and this thread even! ;]

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148302

in my topic i have the ASUS X83VB laptop which has HDMI audio out.. now what is interesting is that i am wondering if that audio is tied to the alc663? as its stated that in windows its nvidia audio...? anyone ? it would be a workaround for me and possibly others if we could reroute sound at least until the driver gets worked out. and seeing as the vanilla kernel doesent like my laptop i cant see the future of the 663 working anytime soon on my laptop

????Bump????

no progress whatsoever?.. there was so much promise!

nothing guys, I am not one - who is smart enough - to solve this... I have to just be satisfied with azailla and audieee to allow the sound to go at boot.

sorry guys, i was one of the first, and can not help more then just complaining. I was of a thought that there was hope of voodoo HD implementation, but cant even find news on that.

It's my experience

I do kext like this

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

2. Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

in Realtek ALC663 Codec Driver key

change the string to:

<string>0x your card ide </string>

3. Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext for matching ICH9 HDA interface proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the string to:

<string>0x № </string>

№ - find like this: start mac calculator with programer write ide and clik Dec

4. Refresh kext caches

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

5. reboot

I do like this but not work sound

but in the system I see this when I install this kext: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H3VU1AQ1

some ideas?

post-373806-1235466824_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone figure out why those running vanilla kernels still get the beachball of death when running Audieee? I'd love to have a working soundcard in my laptop.

I wish I could contribute more. :(