The 10.5.6 mouse lag WORKAROUND in Itunes/QT for 8600/8800/9800(G84/G92) chipsets.

cyclonefr

149 posts in this topic

Guest ѕиоѡ

Really? blimey, then I'll have to go for the older nvidia drivers too.

UPDATE: QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included)

So ilife is a go.

Mouse lagger here.

10.5.6 using netkas method. QT v. 7.6 (472); My GPU = Point of View 8800GT 512 (G92), rest of specs in sig

For the record, this is my first hack build, been browsing here for 8+ hrs (started with kaly 10.5.2 [3 times] ended up in this thread, pretty much all day long).

Has anyone tried replacing the NVDA50Hal.kext? What/where do i have to go to obtain this kext? Did you use kext helper to install it or you just drag&dropped it to /Extensions/?

If so, what were results? I checked the extensions folder but i do not have that kext in it. Eh, i feel a little bit down, after a long day i really didnt expect mouse lagging :/

Whoever has some input, please be specific and clear with instructions on how to do it. I really dont want to lose this over mouse lag. I have created extesions backup after successful update to 10.5.6 but still it would be a pain the lower back if i had to do some restoring and it would kill the very last bit of enthusiasm left in me.

FYI -- I tried replacing 10.5.6's NVDA50Hal.kext with the version from 10.5.5 as suggested a few posts earlier and it hung my startup disk at boot. I had to remove the drive, plug it into another Mac as an external drive, and reinstall the 10.5.6 kext using OSX86 Tools. Then my system booted again as normal.

Now, I'm using an EFI boot flag for the Nvidia card -- whatever plist OSX86 Tools installs for an 8600GT-512MB. So that might have something to do with it. But whatever the reason, using 10.5.5's NVDA50Hal.kext didn't work for me. So I'm downgrading to Quicktime 7.5.5 again and hoping one of you figures out a better workaround for QT 7.6 without the mouse lag.

Ahh, Hacintosh. Won't you ever Just Work?

We all know downgrading QuickTime fixed it... But many people wouldnt like 7.4.5... I've noticed that Apple silently updated 7.5.5 to 249.24 while the very first rlz was 249.13... So since I've found a link that still have 249.13 build, here it is.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a004413/n/...ncais_19979_dmg

Install that, and mouse lag is fixed and you are still on 7.5.5, not just the latest build. My guess it the latest build brings H264 hardware accleration and it's broken somehow so i guess we lose it now...Not the best fix but the best workaround in my opinion for now.

I noticed installing it via the normal installer wouldnt reinstall everything, even removing the receipt, so make sure you install this pkg via Pacifist, and voilà

Enjoy !

PS : How will EFIX we able to make this new Quicktime fit on their USB thumb ? :)

Here is a link to 249.13 - legit, I have tested

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10049517

worked with pacifist for me, I use the 8800GT

what lag? working on EFi-X™. :)

If you have nothing to offer in the way of help, then why gloat?

Guest ѕиоѡ
FYI -- I tried replacing 10.5.6's NVDA50Hal.kext with the version from 10.5.5 as suggested a few posts earlier and it hung my startup disk at boot. I had to remove the drive, plug it into another Mac as an external drive, and reinstall the 10.5.6 kext using OSX86 Tools. Then my system booted again as normal.

Now, I'm using an EFI boot flag for the Nvidia card -- whatever plist OSX86 Tools installs for an 8600GT-512MB. So that might have something to do with it. But whatever the reason, using 10.5.5's NVDA50Hal.kext didn't work for me. So I'm downgrading to Quicktime 7.5.5 again and hoping one of you figures out a better workaround for QT 7.6 without the mouse lag.

Ahh, Hacintosh. Won't you ever Just Work?

K I'm reading post from bottom to top and finsihed at yours so I dont know the full story but you mention a 8600GT?

Isn't this only related to G92 8800GT's?

Also I can confirm replacing the NV50 boots a panic, it will probably need more kexts to replace.

I'm also using EFI string btw so I'm starting to wonder if this is related or if the recent aml patch file has something to do with it (I removed it)

Laters

If you reflash your PC G92 cards with Apple MacPro Geforce 8800GT bios it will solve these issues. (MacPro video cards are PC cards with different bios)

Problem is: not all cards are re-flashable.

I wonder what is so different about the retail Apple Macs that they don't have this problem. Does Apple not have any G92 cards? There must be some fundamental difference...

There is a link on this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148843

Actually this mouse lag issue related to QT7.6 affects other Nvidia cards as well, including the 8600GT/512MB. If you look at the thread title, it includes this card as one of the "afflicted".

I got the lag after updating to QT7.6. Downgrading to QT7.5.5 fixed it. I'm happy with my system's graphics performance under QT7.5.5 but I'd like to be able to fully update QT without the mouse lag issue. I'm certain the combined talent here will figure it out soon enough. I know I'm throwing everything I have at this issue. It's annoying.

K I'm reading post from bottom to top and finsihed at yours so I dont know the full story but you mention a 8600GT?

Isn't this only related to G92 8800GT's?

Also I can confirm replacing the NV50 boots a panic, it will probably need more kexts to replace.

I'm also using EFI string btw so I'm starting to wonder if this is related or if the recent aml patch file has something to do with it (I removed it)

Laters

Laters

Yeah, don't know in which of the 3-4 mouselag-related threads i read this, but the alternative to downgrading QT was named "use old videodrivers from 10.5.5"

I am no pro, but i do remember that the videodrivers consist of multiple kexts.

Bet there are lot of threads where this question has already been answered...

who finds it first :shock:

also fixed with using 10.5.5 video drivers:

What i did:

Downloaded http://www.filedropper.com/9f23installer_1 (newest version of NVinstaller)

Installed it -> but NVDANV50Hal.kext was still the new one

Redid EFI Strings with EfiStudio (guess you can skip that)

Opened the 9f23 pkg with Pacifist and EXTRACTED (installing didnt do anything) those files

/System/Library/Extensions/..... Geforce.kext, Geforce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, IONDRVSupport.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext to desktop

edit: Navigated to my Extensions folder and deleted those files, then dragged the ones from the desktop (9f23) into my extensions folder. (been told that this might be NOT VERY smart.. use Kext Helper b7 instead to replace the kexts. - look at followup post)

Launched Onyx and cleaned all Caches. Repaired permissions (found multiple wrong ones). Reboot with -v -f flags.

Now i have Qt7.6 with no jerky mouse.

Screenflow still doesn't launch (but that really seems not to be related to this issue) cause every other app i have which uses QT (at least i asume from export and import option) now works again -don't know but Wiretap though, but since with this way u use 7.6 including 7.6 QuicktimeComponents.component i think it will work too.

Ps: Maybe (i am pretty sure) you can skip some of my steps. But that's exactly what i did

pps: don't know if this fix is "better" then the other (new QT/old drivers VS opposite)

Navigated to my Extensions folder and deleted those files

Ohh you are so lucky this worked and you didn't kernel panic with no backup kexts around! You can use Kext Helper b7 to install kexts, and it will automatically create a backup of the old and install the new with the correct permissions, and delete extensions.mkext as well.

Anyway, good job, I hope this works for others. I may try it if the latest QT becomes a necessity, but since I fixed by downgrading, I think the old "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it" now applies. (And I'm not really liking the idea of replacing all those kexts via install DVD command line should it fail)

This was actually the original solution that was prompted for people to do. However, the Nvidia drivers from 10.5.6 are quite a bit better in terms of performance. I'd suggest just sticking to Quicktime 7.5.5 for the time being. It doesn't hurt anything. I'm running iLife '09 just peachy.

-Stell

Fixed with using 10.5.5 video drivers:

What i did:

Downloaded http://www.filedropper.com/9f23installer_1 (newest version of NVinstaller)

Installed it -> but NVDANV50Hal.kext was still the new one

Redid EFI Strings with EfiStudio (guess you can skip that)

Opened the 9f23 pkg with Pacifist and EXTRACTED (installing didnt do anything) those files

/System/Library/Extensions/..... Geforce.kext, Geforce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, IONDRVSupport.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext to desktop

Navigated to my Extensions folder and deleted those files, then dragged the ones from the desktop (9f23) into my extensions folder.

Launched Onyx and cleaned all Caches. Repaired permissions (found multiple wrong ones). Reboot with -v -f flags.

Now i have Qt7.6 with no jerky mouse.

Screenflow still doesn't launch (but that really seems not to be related to this issue) cause every other app i have which uses QT (at least i asume from export and import option) now works again -don't know but Wiretap though, but since with this way u use 7.6 including 7.6 QuicktimeComponents.component i think it will work too.

Ps: Maybe (i am pretty sure) you can skip some of my steps. But that's exactly what i did

pps: don't know if this fix is "better" then the other (new QT/old drivers VS opposite)

Ohh you are so lucky this worked and you didn't kernel panic with no backup kexts around! You can use Kext Helper b7 to install kexts, and it will automatically create a backup of the old and install the new with the correct permissions, and delete extensions.mkext as well.

Anyway, good job, I hope this works for others. I may try it if the latest QT becomes a necessity, but since I fixed by downgrading, I think the old "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it" now applies. (And I'm not really liking the idea of replacing all those kexts via install DVD command line should it fail)

-_- hope nobody broke something using my info ;)

Guest ѕиоѡ

If that happens its their own fault bud, it certainly isnt hardware flashing now is it (now thats crazy)

I will follow sterolla on this one and wait till a proper fix arrives. Mind you, iLife already requires QT v7.5 so it wont be long till apps require v7.6.

Thx for the info on old kext install bud

Alright guys, I'm running with a 8800GT and I had the same laggy mouse issues. I followed the instructions to install the older QT (components) via Pacifist, and it worked. No more laggy mouse :(.

I had previously done the old components fix and then installed iWork 09 and now iLife 09 and haven't noticed any mouse lag with iTunes or QT. My assumption is that the installers' system check reads QT 7.6 on the system and doesn't reinstall it with the new components bundle. I haven't attempted to use iDVD or iMovie yet though so i don't know if they'll be fussy with the old components.

okay it worked for me , here is what i did.

1) install latest quicktime from apple site , reboot

2) download quicktime_quicktime_7.5.5_version_leopard_francais_19979.dmg from page 1

3) download pacifist

4) drag quicktime_quicktime_7.5.5_version_leopard_francais_19979.dmg onto pacifist , follow these instructions

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts..._quicktime.html , then reboot

quicktime ver states 7.5.5 (249.24) but no lag while itunes or quicktime is open

worked for me with an asus en 8500gt magic silent

Guest ѕиоѡ

Ok, I went for the 10.5.5 Nvidia kexts install method because I don't want to avoid another future update (QT v7.5 requirement for ilife is pretty darn close to v7.6 so it's only a matter of time)

Now I have two questions for you guys:

1. Do we need to change all these kexts:

- Geforce.kext

- Geforce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

- IONDRVSupport.kext

- NVDANV50Hal.kext

- NVDAResman.kext

2. Do we need to install extra kexts from this package:

kextsbm3.png

Thx in advance and thx to stanfordbinet for install method (it worked bud, got a slow boot afterwards but hopefully that was a one time job)

Guest ѕиоѡ

Just a quick reply to confirm the 10.5.5 NVidia kexts are working properly. There might be a worse performance but so far I haven't noticed anything, then again, I don't do any graphic intensive stuff like games (i have windows for that) or other 3D.

Personaly I also think the 10.5.5 kext replacement method will last longer then running QT v7.5 (waiting for Leo 10.5.7 vs new app to require QT v7.6)

Don't know if that made any sence though :/

Laters...

@ Snow: Wich kext did you install? EDIT: Nevermind, I just installed all the kext you have selected in your picture. They work fine. This was the only way for me to get completely rid of the lag.

Well, I replaced QT components with those from the package and at first, it seemed fine.

Now waking from sleep, I still have the mouse/video lags and it is really, really annoying. It even occurs without itunes or quicktime beeing up.

I'll be trying the 10.5.5 drivers.

Guest ѕиоѡ

Replacing QT components is a bad fix m8, they should even sticky this because it will render some apps unuseable.

It's either downgrading to QT 7.5 or 10.5.5 Nvidia kexts.

I'm glad you got it figured out m8.

The kext I replaced were mentioned in point number 1 of my previous post:

- Geforce.kext

- Geforce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

- IONDRVSupport.kext

- NVDANV50Hal.kext

- NVDAResman.kext

Less or more kexts might be required but I need a conformation on that. Everything seems to run properly now so...