[SOLVED] 10.5.6: Sleep no longer working

MacManX

103 posts in this topic

Hey Davecool,

I have a similar board with the same issue (asus p5e)

I get a kernel panic after installing your kext with osxtools, and with my backed up 10.5.5 kext. Did you run into this issue?

Hi all. My system (Asus P5K Deluxe) also won't sleep after installing 10.5.6. I have tried everything in this thread (and others) and still my system won't sleep.

My sleep issue is manifesting itself differently than others I am reading here. When I click Sleep from the Apple Menu, the drives shut down, the screen goes black, but all the fans in the computer keep running -- it doesn't actually finally go to sleep. The system will not wake from sleep, it must be restarted.

Any thoughts? Even if not, I still wanted to put this experience out there.

EDIT: It's fixed now. I missed a post earlier about replacing the IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.5.5. Did it and I can sleep now! Sweet!

EDIT2: For those asking for the 10.5.5 IOUSBFamily.kext, it's now attached.

Yeah, me either, those of us without it must have a different ACPI or SMBIOS kext than the other people.. I keep hoping someone who knows which kext that is, will post it..

I also don't have the "restart automatically on power failure" checkbox. I think you are right in that some of us may be running different smbios options. I myself am running the smbios enabler kext. I'm hoping to getting around to testing smbiosresolver.kext soon to see how that works. If anybody who has the checkbox can upload their SMBIOS and ACPI I will give them a shot as well. Thanks!

Yulu,

Dude your kexts got my sleep working!!! ( IOUSBFamily_EHCISleepEnabler.zip ( 1.5MB ) )

Sleeps when clamshell shuts, wakes upon opening .. works perfectly.

An interesting aside:

My Laptop that used to show up as a Mac Pro, is now indicating it is an iMAC .. could I switch that back by swapping out the smbios kext, or is that integral to the sleep performance?

Oh, and a bonus appears to be that I can now see my memory in System Profiler .. where before I got an error.

Now I just have to get restart working, and this would be a perfect system!

Cheers,

Joe :(

I tried all of the methods in this thread, but still no luck :(

I have a P35-DS3, with my 10.5.5 System sleep worked perfectly. Then I did a fresh iPC 10.5.6 install and I just can't get my PC to wake up from sleep.

The screens turn black and hds go off but then go on again immediately, fans keep spinning at full speed and system doesn't wake up anymore :)

Also, I don't have that checkbox in the energy save panel, I tried all the SMBIOS versions i could find (including SMBIOSResolver etc.) but the checkbox didn't appear.

So if anybody knows another solution, please tell me...

tried all of the methods in this thread, but still no luck

I have a P35-DS3, with my 10.5.5 System sleep worked perfectly. Then I did a fresh iPC 10.5.6 install and I just can't get my PC to wake up from sleep.

The screens turn black and hds go off but then go on again immediately, fans keep spinning at full speed and system doesn't wake up anymore

Also, I don't have that checkbox in the energy save panel, I tried all the SMBIOS versions i could find (including SMBIOSResolver etc.) but the checkbox didn't appear.

So if anybody knows another solution, please tell me...

Same mobo, same problem!!!

I need some help please.

Checking "Restart Automatically after Power Failure" seem to enable sleep, but the graphic's are corrupted and the screen is locked up upon wake up! Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any ideas on how to fix it? The posted kext doesn't seem to do anything - sleep still causes the system to shut down. I'm running the ATI 2600 driver included with iAtkos 5i. Perhaps a different graphics driver would fix it?

My Power mangment preferences does not have this "Wake after power failure" option.

Installed 10.5.5 IOUSBFamily.kext (with kexthelper b7) because I had the same black screen and fans running problem and it completely screwed over my system. Now it kernel panics at startup and I can't even boot in safe mode. Tried replacing with the 10.5.6 kext like this ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=618709 ) but to no avail. Please help! I don't want to have to re-install the whole OS again!

Does anyone have any idea why some have the "Restart automatically after power failure" option and some do not? It's definitely not an OS 10.5.6 only option; my 10.4.11 MacBook Pro has it, but my 10.5.5 hackintosh does not.

Is it related to a specific kext?

I have similiar problems. Sometimes sleep works but somestimes the screen goes black, the fans keep spinning and I have to shut down my computer. I have tried many kexts but i didnt get it working. I also dont have this option"Restart automatically after power failure". What do i have to do to get this option? Its strange that some have it and some not...

I am using 10.5.6 retail with chameleon efi.

Is it possible to see error messages when going to sleep? Maybe this coud help

for all of you who are having problems with black screens/USB over current notices, and have tried IOUSBFamily.kext & IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from 10.5.5, try clearing you extensions cache and re-setting you extensions permissions.

i had sleep/hibernation working fine under 10.5.5, i upgraded to 10.5.6 and started getting USB over current notices. i then followed some advice i'd read here and installed the previously mentioned kext's from 10.5.5 using OSx86 Tools. when i re-booted sleep still wasn't working, but now my screen was black. i don't know why, but i thought i'd run some of the system maintenance options in OSx86 Tools. after a second reboot, all was well. it's been running for a couple of hours, and has slept twice, all without a sign of a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Since I started using osx on my dell vostro i had never make it sleep correctly. I tried different fixes (USB kexts, various kernels) but still no luck. Currently i use hibernatemode 0, vanilla kernel, IOUSBfamily.kext but it still wakes up just after it seems to get to sleep. Checking the option in energy saver doesn't help as well. Here is my dmesg output just after sleep-to-auto-wake event:

VBoxFltDrv: version 2.1.0 r41146
//above msg is from boot events, bellow goes sleep event msgs(including the strange tab space)
	 0 [Time 1235378938] [Message System Sleep
Wake reason = AZAL PBTN LID
System Wake
USB (EHCI):Port 2 on bus 0xfa connected or disconnected: portSC(0x301002)
USB (EHCI):Port 6 on bus 0xfd connected or disconnected: portSC(0x301002)

I have tried googlin that strange wake event but with totally no luck.

any suggestions how to fix that?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ga-ep35-ds4 & geforce 8800gt

sys prefs -> enegrgy saver -> options -> auto restart after power fail (tick)

works for me

thanks guys.

On a friends GA-EP35-DS4 this also works very good. But on my Asus P5B-E it doesn`t work (i even don`t see this automatically restart button).

• 2 weeks later...

Not working for me ;)

Tried a lot of different things, but 10.5.6 simply not waking up.

Have to do a hard reset and the system will restart only after 2nd try.

Somebody w/ the same board solved the problem?

Shutdown + Restart working perfectly. Got rid of openhaltrestart installing

superhai's voodoopower kext.

any update on this for the rest of us? i have a problem getting my 10.5.6 osx86 installation to wakeup on two machines. A toshiba m115 and an hp dv4 1140go. I have tried everything in this thread but non of them work.

For those who have the tick in the energy saver which Applesmbios are you using and what kernel and which powermanegment kext or anything relevent? this is getting frustrating for me but i know it will work eventually with you guys help.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just made my first install of iPC on my computer, but I have met the same problem as you.

So, I tried to check the checkbox in the sytem configuration, but I don't have this checkbox.

After that, I tried to isntall the kext found on this page. It doesn't fix the problem, and worst, it made a new one : I have a kernel panic when I put in an USB key.

The problem is that I didn't save my old kext.

Could somebody give me his IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext of the 10.5.6 verison please ?

Thanks everybody, that' a great forum whith lots informations.

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm french and I didn't work very hard in the school)

• 2 months later...

Quick question...

Playing around with GA-G31M-S2L...sleep, shutdown, restart all work brilliantly and with USB (e.g. I move mouse, computer wakes).

I do have one issue I can't seem to get much information about...

I have an Nvidia 7900 GS 256 MB on this board, and I'm using EFI strings. When my computer wakes, my fan on the video card goes in to 100% mode and never spins back down.

Does this mean the card is being taxed 100% after sleep so fan spins 100% up, or does this mean that the fan spins up (like the do on a cold boot) but never spin back down.

Anyone have any insights?