The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply Buoo!

As is always the case, no sooner do I post than the problem is solved.

I reinstalled 10.5.6 using iPC and chose only the "New Macbook Pro" kext option under VIDEO (says it's for new nVidia 9xxx series cards. Started fine and once I added the NVCAP'ed custom EFI string, rebooted with full EVERYTHING. Didn't even need to edit NVDANV50 or NVResman.

picture1gal.png

So the mystery is, could it have worked under 10.5.8 if I used the other proper DevID you pointed out?

Or was it the 10.5.6 graphics framework? Some have reported success under 10.5.8 after downgrading to earlier graphics framework extracting it with Pacifist.

Or was it the magical iPC 9xxx kexts?

Or did I have some other unrelated kext from iDeneb 1.6 that was preventing boot at the display matching phase and was completely unrelated, misleading me to think it was this?

I guess I won't know for now, cause it ain't broke, so I'm gonna stop trying to fix it. (Sound patch w/ AppleHDAPatcher v.120 also worked under 10.5.6, while it did not under iDeneb 10.5.8.) So everything is fully working! Hopefully this will help someone else save the trouble if this is similar to their system.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First post on here. Long time lurker. Just wanted to share my experience with my 9500GT 1GB.

Running Leopard 10.5.8 (iPC 10.5.6 then updated using iDeneb Combo Update). Installed 9500GT originally by using the nVidia 9000 Series Driver as described above. System profiler showed unknown card with 512MB QE/QI working. I would have been content with that, except I REALLY wanted mirroring to work, and just got blue screen on primary display when mirroring was turned on. I used Nvenabler 32 Bit but got black screen after loading kext (Nvenabler 0.1). I added in the device id 0x064010de to NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResMan.kext still no luck. After reading a lot of different threads, removed @0,display-cfg and @1,display-cfg from Info.plist in NVEnabler. Installed kext via kextHelper B7, repaired permissions and re-booted. Card was now recognized as 9500GT with 1GB. I held my breath and tried mirroring - same result as before - blue screen on main display second display fine. I looked at IORegPropertyExplorer and found that both @0,display-cfg and @1,display-cfg were set to FFFFFFFF. I finally re-edited the Info.plist and put back in the @0,display-cfg set at 00 and the @1,display-cfg set at FFFFFFFF. Re-installed kext, repaired permissions, rebooted and checked IORegPropertyExplorer. Now had two different display configs for the two displays. Turned on mirroring and... voila mirroring was working!

Note: Everytime I say re-booted I re-booted with -F flags to load kexts again.

I am now very happy with my mac!

Summary (without trial and error):

1. Install nVidia 9000 Series Drivers as described in previous post

2. Download Nvenabler 0.1

3. Edit Info.plist for NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResMan.kext to add device id 0x064010de in IOPCIPrimaryMatch key

4. Edit Info.plist for Nvenabler and set @0,display-cfg to 00 and @1,display-cfg to FFFFFFFF

5. Install kext via kexthelper b7 or your favourite kext installer.

6. Repair permissions and Reboot with -F flag.

7. Enjoy mirroring!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got an EVGA 9500GT 1GB dual DVI card, but I'm having limited success getting it to work with either 10.6.8 or 10.7.2. I managed to get the NVcap string (04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000) from the ROM file I ripped from my own card under Windows, but when I insert that into org.chameleon.Boot.plist, I get only basic compatibility (i.e. no resolution switching, no colour profiles, no graphics acceleration). Trying to use the ROM itself (with Chameleon's "use NVIDIA ROM" option) has resulted only in a garbled, unmoving screen image. GraphicsEnabler gives the same result as well.

I'm posting from 10.7.2, since unrelated foolings-around with 10.6.8 to try and restore wi-fi compatibility have made that system unbootable. I'm pretty sure I'm using Chameleon v2.1svn r1713. What is it that I'm missing or doing wrong here? :(

Hmm. I'm not getting full acceleration, but animations do seem slightly less jerky than before (and it's not screwed up altogether, which is always a big plus). Still no resolution switching or colour profiles. Should I try adding back the NVcap or ROM, and see if that helps further? (Thanks very much, by the way!)

With PciRoot=1 and GraphicsEnabler=y, does the card show correctly in System Profiler?

Run console.app and check kernel log to see if NVDANV50Hal.kext is loaded as it should be.

Use the DVI output that's closest to the motherboard when looking directly at the back of the PC case.

What kind of display are you using and are you using any kind of adapter (DVI to HDMI for example)?

When using GraphicsEnabler, make sure you don't have any other injection method active at the same time - remove any Device Properties String from all boot.plists, DSDT gfx0 device, NVEnabler/NVInject/NVblabla.kext etc etc.

Make sure your nvidia kernel extensions on 10.7.2 are untouched.

This is what System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 4 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

NVDANV50Hal does appear to have been loaded.

Checked which DVI port is being used; it is indeed the one closer to the motherboard.

The display is an Xplio XP19WD 19" LCD; no adapters are being used, just a straight-up DVI cable.

The Device Properties string was already removed; I'm not using a DSDT, so no worries there; /Extra/Extensions is empty (although there's a folder called /Extra/modules, in which is the file Resolution.dylib — not sure if that has any significance). I noticed the npci=0x2000 option is set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

With all the little edits and un-edits I've been making to various Info.plists, I can't remember if the Nvidia kexts in S/L/E are pristine or not; I shall download the 10.7.2 Combo Update and restore them from there using Pacifist.

According to the Chameleon 2.1 source code GraphicsEnabler already "knows" your video card - see line 462 (0x10DE0640):

http://forge.voodoop...ibsaio/nvidia.c - system Profiler should show "GeForce 9500 GT".

This means that something is preventing GraphicsEnabler from fully working.

Setting PciRoot=1 should fix that, in cases where Chameleon defaults to 0 because it can't tell that the PCI Root is really 1. But that isn't working for you.

Let's take a closer look at what Chameleon is doing during boot. Use Terminal to copy the attached bdmesg to /usr/bin, reboot, run Terminal, type bdmesg > ~/desktop/bdmesg.txt and attach bdmesg.txt to your next post.

bdmesg.zip

While you're at it, also enter kextstat >~/desktop/kextstat.txt and attach that as well.

/EDIT - I remembered something else for when you reboot - if your BIOS has an "Init Display First" setting, make sure it's set to "PEG" or whatever your motherboard calls it (PCI-Express). And make sure your video card is sitting in the first available PCI-E x16 slot.

Your Kextstat looks fine except it's odd that nullCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement are both loaded. The first is supposed to prevent the second from loading.

You have a whole bunch of possibly unneeded Chameleon "modules" loading on startup. Try removing the entire modules folder from /Extra, reboot and see what happens.

It also says

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
nVidia GeForce 9500 GT 1024MB NV96 [10de:0640] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I don't know if that means that your PCI Root value should be 0 instead of 1. But it was before and that didn't work either?

After removing the modules folder, if nothing changes try removing the PciRoot=1 from org.chameleon.Boot.plist and reboot again.

OK, I removed the modules folder (though I made a backup), rebooted, video still working but still no acceleration; removed PciRoot=1 and rebooted again, and got a static, garbled image again. Had to boot in single-user mode to put the PciRoot=1 back in, but she's back up and running. Would you like an updated copy of bdmesg's output, or my o.c.Boot.plist, or anything like that?

PCI Root seems correct at 1, don't mess with it.

Don't put the modules folder back unless you're absolutely sure that you need one or more of the modules.

I'm almost out of ideas. It should just work.

You can try with this MacPro3,1 smbios.plist in /Extra.

MacPro3,1 smbios.plist.zip

Note that the serial number in it is not valid. You can use this guide to create your own valid serial:

http://prasys.info/2...-serial-number/ (seems to be down at the moment).

There's also a new utility available that can create one for you but I can't recall the name, champlist or something.

That plist seems to be a more extensive version of the one I already had in there (this is an installation of iAtkos L2). The link you provided does appear to be down, but I copied the serial number from my existing smbios.plist before replacing it with yours. After rebooting...still nothing. I agree, it should just work — I don't remember 10.6.7 or earlier being quite this stubborn.

I've attached the latest iterations of bdmesg/kextstat's output and o.c.Boot.plist in case they're helpful. I noticed a "LAN Controller [168c:0013]" in bdmesg.txt which refers to my wi-fi card (D-Link DWL-G520 rev.B3, chipset Atheros AR5213), another device which seems to be stubbornly refusing to be supported. Also, there's an /Extra/Keymaps folder with what could be various international keyboard mapping files with .lyt extensions. I've moved that away to the backup folder, although I'm sure that doesn't affect what's going on here.

Sorry if this is frustrating for you! Even if you're almost at a loss now, you've already helped improve my graphics performance somewhat, and I'm grateful for all the help you can give.

Edit: I just rebooted, and saw the line "Error parsing plist file" immediately following Chameleon's reading of smbios.plist. Bdmesg doesn't seem to show that error, but gives that file's size as 1 byte. Maybe it is related to what's screwing up somehow? System Profiler's "About This Mac" window shows my machine as being a summer 2001 iMac whose serial number is "SOMESRLNMBR".

bdmesg.txt

kextstat.txt

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.txt

You are seeing the iMac8,1 Chameleon smbios defaults (ref. your first bdmesg) Chameleon is not reading /Extra/smbios.plist for some reason. I have reuploaded the MacPro3,1 smbios.plist above (post # 443) try with this one.

Never ever use textedit.app (or god forbid Windows Notepad) to edit plist files, you will break the formatting, resulting in unreadable plists. Use an xml editor or Apple's own plist editor.

Delete this from your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

SMBIOS

/Volumes/Mac OS X/Extra/smbios.plist

Default location for smbios.plist is /Extra on the partition where Chameleon is installed, you don't need to specify its location unless you have placed it somewhere else. And why would you do that.

This is wrong:

npci

0x2000

it's npci=0x2000, and this is a kernel flag, not a Chameleon configuration setting, and therefore it goes in the kernel flags string.

Also you have some other settings in there that are the defaults anyway so no reason to have them..Here's an edited one: org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

You might want to remove npci=0x02000 and leave the kernel flags string blank. You can type it at the Chameleon boot prompt like other kernel flags - for example npci=0x2000 -v -x to test whether you need it or not.

Aha! OK, I removed those two keys and added the kernel flag; I assume it'll still automatically look for smbios.plist in the expected location? Funny thing is, neither of those things were put there by me, so I guess it was from the iAtkos distro. I'll reboot and edit this post.

Edit: No discernible change, though bdmesg shows smbios.plist as being 845 bytes long this time, and About This Mac shows the correct Mac Pro. I'll try removing the PCIRoot=1 option again and see if anything's different this time around.

Edit 2: SUCCESS! Animations are smooth like buttah, Core Image blur effects work, resolution switcher is full of options. Oddly, changes to the display's colour calibration only last a little under a second before it snaps back, but this is awesome nonetheless. I never would've figured this out without your help — thank you very much! (Now I can move on to getting this machine on wi-fi without having to run a Firewire cable to my old Mac mini and keep it switched on all day. :rolleyes:)

Edit 3: Revenge of the Edit: Removed the npci=0x2000 kernel flag, but VoodooHDA caused a kernel panic when I rebooted, and I got static instead of a screen image the second time around, so I added it back rather than typing it every time. Also, my calibration profile seems to be back in business. Not sure why it didn't work previously, but it makes me happy as a clam anyway, so who cares!

That's great. So you didn't need PciRoot=1 after all - and it wasn't there when I started helping you - so what exactly did we do that fixed your issue? lol

I don't know why the color calibration settings don't stick. Maybe you can fix this with a good deep-cleaning. Can't hurt anything.

Go to www.northernsoftworks.com and download Lion Cache Cleaner. In the main window click the "caches" button, tick "deep cleaning" and all the cleaning options, type your password and let it do its thing. If it appears to have stopped just leave it in the background and do something else, it'll ask you to reboot once it's finally done.

Let me know if it helps..or if anything interesting happens.

About your ethernet/WiFi - see my reply to you here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8829&view=findpost&p=1778060

Sorry if this is frustrating for you!

Don't worry, believe me I've seen worse. :superman:

That's great. So you didn't need PciRoot=1 after all - and it wasn't there when I started helping you - so what exactly did we do that fixed your issue? lol

Well, we fixed the npci=0x2000 kernel flag and got Chameleon to load smbios.plist properly, as well as ensuring that GraphicsEnabler was the only method being used to enable the card and that Chameleon wasn't loading a whole bunch of extra modules. That's...I think that's it...:P Thanks again for your help.

Normally with nvidia cards and a single display you must use the port that is closest to the motherboard when looking towards the back of the case. It doesn't matter what kind of port it is or if you're using a DVI-VGA adapter on that port.

If you want to set up the other port as "primary" you will have to play around with the NVCAP string. This string is specific to your card, though of course you might get lucky using someone elses NVCAP.

NVCAP value can be injected via Chameleon in /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist, DSDT, device properties string or injector.kext just like everything else. Google/forum search, IIRC there is a thread by Krazubu or fassl about NVCAP over on the ProjectOSX forums with the most recent info.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried with Strings, but no results yet, back to DSDT method.

Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev. 2 with FF bios version, with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I've been trying to install two graphic cards: a Gigabyte 8600 GT(256 mb) and a Gainward 9500 GT (1GB), and I got in the point where the I've put the 9500 GT in the 2nd PCI-X 16x slot, and the 8600 GT in the 4th PCI-X (8x) slot ( that was the easiest for me, as I have a moded G5 case, with the bios setting "PCI init dislpay set to PCI-X 8 ( 2 ), which is the slot that the 8600 Gt is mounted on .

After selecting the partition that I want to boot from, the apple logo appears, with the white background, but without that spinning thingie, and, after few seconds, only the 2 monitors connected to the 8600 Gt are ligthing up.

With the attached DSDT, both of the video card appear in the Graphic/Displays, the 8600 GT isperfectly working (at highest resolution ( 2560 x 1500 )), but the 9500 GT is not working (it is recognized, but has no outputs, even though I have two monitors plugged in its outputs).

I have attached the dsdt.

In the system – library – extensions – should I delete: " NVDANV40HAL.kext, NVDANVs0HAL.kext. , NVDARESMAN.kext and NVSMU.kext when using dsdt ? Are those injectors?

I have edited the org.Chameleon.boot.plist in the \extra folder so that no strings or grahics enabler appears, i did that in the System configuration folder's boot.plist, too .

Should I try to switch the position of the GFX Cards and put the 8600 GT in the second 16 pci-x instead of the 8x one or should I try to further edit the dsdt file, since both gfx cards appear to be in the 1st pci slot, in the Graphics/Display, section?

Do you have any idea how to solve that ?

I am willing to pay for somebody to help me, I have already lost 3 days of trying… If someone could recommend me a 4 output or at least 2 gfx that will work for sure with my setup, I could buy them.

Thank you so much in advance!

dsdt+png.rar

post-226806-0-72932800-1325761157_thumb.png

post-226806-0-14098200-1325761163_thumb.png

post-226806-0-48659200-1325761172_thumb.png

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this is the right place to post...

Here is my problem : I've been working for 1 year and a half with kakewalk on a Gigabyte X58A UD3R config (see signature for details). With Os 10.6.6.

I'm now having trouble with the Nvidia 9500GT card in newer version of 3d apps (Daz Studio...), and even display bugs in Word. Looks like all this is comming from the graphic card. I see on Nvidia's website that there is no official drivers for the card on mac so I don't even know how it's really working on this hackintosh.

What can I do to fix theses graphic problems ? Is there any kext stuff or so that can be updated just for the card ?

I'm a bit lost with hardware trouble solving on hackintosh. If someone can point me the way to go...

Thanks

There is no 9500 GT for Mac, that's why you don't find anything. These drivers will work: http://www.nvidia.co...f03-driver.html

The model identifier requirement can be overridden by editing distribution.dist inside the installer package.

If you have edited NVDANV50Hal.kext before, you will have to edit it again.