RETAIL Snow Leopard 10.6.4/10.6.5 on HP HDX16/HDX18/DV6000/DV9000 Laptop

Newman Cook

116 posts in this topic

esata

Anyone had success with esata port on their HDX (mines an 18t) ?

My external drive (in a "Mobile Disk" case) works fine when USB-connected,

but is not recognized in either OSX or Vista (64 bit) when using an esata-sata cable.

Posts on forum.notebookreview.com (example: <http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=4251751&postcount=2698>)

indicate that other users are having the same/similar problem in Vista.

The esata-connected drive also does not show up in the BIOS, but other posts indicate that this may be "normal" ??

Thanks,

G

Mine is working. Initially it did not. The external cable was at fault. But now my eSATA Thermaltake BlackX drive enclosure is even bootable. Yes on the eSATA on 10.5.5 iDeneb 1.3!

Swap out the cable, the interface is a bit "finicky" as it is a combo USB/eSATA connector. Not sure if the "port Multiplier" will function, but I will let you know when I get a chance to see if my ICY DOCK RAID works with the HDX.

I just had a real Apple Airport Wireless mini PCIe N card arrive from China ... I am hoping in vain that I'll get it up with out the bios hack.

Wish me luck!

I wonder if there is a firmware flash for the card SDHC card reader? it only reads 8 GB and under cards sadly!

There's an extra mini-PCI slot on the back of the laptop, you can use that for your wireless card. Good luck!

I just had a real Apple Airport Wireless mini PCIe N card arrive from China ... I am hoping in vain that I'll get it up with out the bios hack.

Wish me luck!

I wonder if there is a firmware flash for the card SDHC card reader? it only reads 8 GB and under cards sadly!

There's an extra mini-PCI slot on the back of the laptop, you can use that for your wireless card.

I have taken this thing apart 7 times :wacko: No joke ... In 7 days ... 3 of those times to the bare chassis ...

It is now a 2.53 Quad/ 8 GB RAM/ 1 TB Seagate's SATA -- RAID 0 / OSX 10.5.5

I tried my best to get the onboard WiFi aerials #1 and #2 to stretch to the second mini PCIe slot !!! :D

The Apple Airport card registers as being there, but there is no reception, due to the lack of aerials :(

I tried some "creative routing" of the aerial's delicate wires, but they still are about an inch short of the second mini PCIe slot

I have a Belkin N Wireless USB adapter working fine.

I'll have to take a soldering course when I get back from overseas in April.

BTW I had saved up my pennies and was waiting patiently to purchase a brand new shiny aluminum Intel "Quadcore" Mac Book when Philip Schiller took the stage for the "key note" address in January. I expected a street price of about $4200.

I only built this in direct protest to Apple selling me their "planned obsolescence...." I am sure the i7 Mac Books will be out in the fall ... Thanks Apple!!!! :wacko:

esata

Anyone had success with esata port on their HDX (mines an 18t) ?

My external drive (in a "Mobile Disk" case) works fine when USB-connected,

but is not recognized in either OSX or Vista (64 bit) when using an esata-sata cable.

Posts on forum.notebookreview.com (example: <http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=4251751&postcount=2698>)

indicate that other users are having the same/similar problem in Vista.

The esata-connected drive also does not show up in the BIOS, but other posts indicate that this may be "normal" ??

Thanks,

G

Hi Again,

Just one added note: The "port multiplier" does not function on the eSATA port under OS X :( . The eSATA port however does, and is as quick as the internal SATA II drive and controller. :D

• 3 weeks later...

One question pls people...

I Installed fresh copy of iDeneb 10.5.6, evrything works just fine, except.... evrything i try to install first step when image is mounting i get freez screen and Error to manuly shutdown computer.

This is first time to happen this thing. I try other Kernel but the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the HDX 18T, and installed iDeneb 10.5.6... worked beautifully!!!

Was able to use NVDarwin from the disk, so no need for any of the "boot w/ -x" stuff. Only things that AREN'T working are:

Validity Fingerprint reader (Not really expecting that to work)

WebCam (Apparently, it works on 10.5.5 but not on 10.5.6?)

Sleep (Goes into a a soft sleep, but won't wake up)

I'm not surprised about the validity sensor, but does anyone know how to get the Webcam or Sleep working in 10.5.6?

Thanks!

Was able to use NVDarwin from the disk, so no need for any of the "boot w/ -x" stuff. Only things that AREN'T working are:

I'm not surprised about the validity sensor, but does anyone know how to get the Webcam or Sleep working in 10.5.6?

Thanks!

I have the same unit, but even if I use the -x option after install it I can not get it to boot. I believe this is an error on my part with the options I am selecting at install. I am installing this to an external USB which could have something to do with it as well. I will change the permissions on the drive as suggested in another post, but I am wondering if you could tell me exactly what options you picked for your install using the iDeneb v1.4 DVD?

Thanks!

Not sure about the webcam but to fix the wake-up from sleep issue introduced in 10.5.6 go to power options and set the option to resume on power loss. Im using OpenHaltRestart.kext to solve sleep/shutdown issues.

Not sure about the webcam but to fix the wake-up from sleep issue introduced in 10.5.6 go to power options and set the option to resume on power loss. Im using OpenHaltRestart.kext to solve sleep/shutdown issues.

Do you remember what options you selected at iDeneb install customization to get it working. The article in insainleyMac does not mention specifically what should be checked or unchecked. Can you tell me what you selected under Fix's and patches? I know under utilis I only selected kexthelper and I know that pat is OK, and I did not select network or video, btu there are fixes and patches I do not know what to select. there is some there for ddr2 memory and kernels and other stuff?

Do you remember what options you selected at iDeneb install customization to get it working. The article in insainleyMac does not mention specifically what should be checked or unchecked. Can you tell me what you selected under Fix's and patches? I know under utilis I only selected kexthelper and I know that pat is OK, and I did not select network or video, btu there are fixes and patches I do not know what to select. there is some there for ddr2 memory and kernels and other stuff?

I used the dell boot-132 method to install from a retail Leopard DVD then applied the 10.5.6 combo update.

This install pack for a Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboard (using a similar ICH9 chipset) has many of the required fixes for a vanilla install on the HDX16/18. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77165

These are the optons from the script i applied to my HDX16.... prehaps it will help with your iDeneb install

Remove vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement ==> Yes

All audio fixes are specific to the P35-DS4 so they were skipped.

Install page decryption EFI module - dsmos ==> I installed it and it fixed the startup issues with a vanilla install.

Install IOAHCI 1.5.0 build 294 SATA drivers? ==> Yes, Must have installed 10.5.6 combo update first, internal drives are shown correctly (instead of external/orange icons).

Install AppleSMBIOS-33 ==> Yes

Install patched AppleACPIPlatform - reboot fix? No kept it vanilla, i used OpenHaltRestart.kext

Install Realtek R1000 driver version 1.8.1 ==> No, this is specific to the P35-DS4.

Install IONetworkingFamily - TimeMachine fix==> No, instead i generated an ethernet EFI string using EFI studio. (this fix may not be needed on the HDX16/18 as the realtek lan is natively supported by OSX

Other things to note

With the vanilla install i was able to install leopard to a GUID partion and install Chameleon EFI.

Graphics, sound and networking were all installed using Newman Cook's method in the first post.

This is where i got the info on the dell boot-132 method http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114226

Hope this helps.

After abandoning the broadcom 4311 due to whitelist issues i picked up a Belkin F5D8073 from Amazon. So far everything is working great and the small size means it doesnt look too out of place.

My only complaint is the way the driver installs the card as an ethernet port instead of an airport, the Wireless utility launches automatically at startup and is required to connect to wireless networks.

Is there a way to stop the wireless utill popping up after the log-in?

Hello.... :) I have the same F5D8073 wireless card but cannot get it to work, it creates a kernel panic when booting with it inside and if i put it in after login it does not show up. i have the right drivers ie:RT2860 ( could this be a IOPCIFamily problem?)...how did you manage ? I have an HP Pavilion DV7.1130el and a Mac OSx 10.5.6 iAtkos based install with almost everything working except webcam, wireless, and TV tuner which I haven't really tried yet. Can you please give me a hand here? By the way i use a usb wireless and you can try stopping the util window popping up in accounts> login.....

CIAO----

Hello.... :( I have the same F5D8073 wireless card but cannot get it to work, it creates a kernel panic when booting with it inside and if i put it in after login it does not show up. i have the right drivers ie:RT2860 ( could this be a IOPCIFamily problem?)...how did you manage ? I have an HP Pavilion DV7.1130el and a Mac OSx 10.5.6 iAtkos based install with almost everything working except webcam, wireless, and TV tuner which I haven't really tried yet. Can you please give me a hand here? By the way i use a usb wireless and you can try stopping the util window popping up in accounts> login.....

CIAO----

Are you using a vanilla install? It might be worth a try if not. Quite often its hard to know all the kexts that have been modified in a patched dvd. Ideneb did work with the F5D8073 so thats worth a try. I have the HP HDX16-1005ea.

Im afraid i havent seen any of the kernel panic issues you are experiencing so im not sure if i can help. I used the 2860 driver and its still working fine. Has anyone else with this card experienced this? As you suggested its likely to be something like a IOPCIFamily issues as i think most people in this thread have experienced good results with the F5D8073 and the ralink drivers.

Post back if you discover a solution.

Thanks for the advice on disabling the ralink window from popping up at startup, there is an option to hide the window.

Are you using a vanilla install? It might be worth a try if not. Quite often its hard to know all the kexts that have been modified in a patched dvd. Ideneb did work with the F5D8073 so thats worth a try. I have the HP HDX16-1005ea.

Im afraid i havent seen any of the kernel panic issues you are experiencing so im not sure if i can help. I used the 2860 driver and its still working fine. Has anyone else with this card experienced this? As you suggested its likely to be something like a IOPCIFamily issues as i think most people in this thread have experienced good results with the F5D8073 and the ralink drivers.

Post back if you discover a solution.

Thanks for the advice on disabling the ralink window from popping up at startup, there is an option to hide the window.

Many thanks for your quick reply to my dilemma, I am using an iAtkos 10.5.6 based install which i don't think is all vanilla...in fact looking closely at the IOPCIFamily kext I notice it has 'slice' in it (ver.2.5.4) which i feel is patched. I am uploadfing a foto of the kernel panic which is pretty clear that it is IOPCI and IONetworking (ver.1.6.1) which are the base problem. Where can i find the kexts which you seem to be using with no problems? ie. which version etc-? And would different kexts change anything else on the boot ? Although I did do a backup hd of my install to test drivers.

Ciao

post-231349-1238237456_thumb.jpg

SNC00017.jpg.zip

I'm on an HDX16 1010EA, found that the left side USB ports and webcam wouldn't work in 10.5.6 until I disabled the AppleHPET kext, as soon as I did that they worked fine. Running stock 9.60 kext/kernel on iDeneb 1.4. Only thing that bothers me now is the card reader isn't working, Disk Utility sees a drive when I insert a card having installed the JMicronSDReader kext, but won't access the contents.

EDIT: Now have the memory card reader working, replacing the kext from the original post (JMicronSDReader.tar.gz) with the one from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxsdhci/ and it's working fine :)

Haven't tested the PCCard slot / HDMI yet, but don't usually use them anyway so no great loss, next on the list is replacing the Intel 5100 wireless and hacking the BIOS whitelist...

Having issues with this laptop left and right.. first off, I tried a retail install and don't even get to the installer before I get a kernel panic.

I then tried iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) which installed with no problems but when the system boots I get to a black screen even when attempting a safe mode boot.

Laptop's an HDX 16 with the lower resolution screen.

Edit:

Had to boot single user mode and delete anything relating to nVidia for iDeneb.

Got retail to boot but my keyboard and touchpad don't work at all.

Anyone able to help out with this laptop? I got past the black screen problems by deleting all of the nvidia drivers using single user mode, then starting back over with the nVidia 9000 series installer v2 followed by NVdarwin, both 1.2.3 and 1.2.5 (not at the same time of course), but once I get either installed again I go right back to a black screen once the system is booted and have to delete all nVidia references in my extensions once again. Safe mode doesn't get around this problem either, it boots to a black screen as well. I don't know what to do at this point, I've tried everything I can think of.

Got everything up and running with iPC install (except wifi of course) and able to dual boot with Windows 7. However, I'm wanting to do a retail install so I don't have to worry about the updates down the line. Right now, the only way of doing this is modifying the DVD's OSInstall.mpkg so that I can install the OS onto a MBR partitioned HDD correct???

I only ask because I see some have done the retail install, but didn't mention if they were dual booting or not...

• 2 weeks later...
*Hardware list:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600

Video: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (10DE:0649)

Chipset: Intel ICH9

Network: Realtek 8186C/8111C (10EC:8186)

Sound: Intel IDT HDA (111D:76B2, 8086:293E)

Wireless: Intel Wifi 5100

Card Reader: JMB 38x Controller

HP Webcam

1. Have the installation DVD ready and boot up from it (prererred iDeneb 10.5.5)

Partition your hard drive as one or multiple partitions as you like, make sure MBR is selected for the hard drive.

Don't select video or sound drivers. Mostly select the fixes for ICH, Powermanagement, Shutdown, and extra software such as Kext helper, Pacifist, etc.

2. Install drivers:

(Alternate download location: www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx)

-Video card: download NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip and NVDarwin 1.2.3 before installing the video card. Your system may not boot up correctly after installing Leopard 10.5.5, but you can boot up with safe mode switch (-x) to bypass it. When you have Mac OSX loaded successfully, just run the installation from NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip first. After rebooting, install NVDarwin 1.2.3 next. Reboot the system again, you should have Geforce 9600M GT with full resolution and QE feature.

Using iDeneb 10.5.5, with selected fixes listed above.

Following the above instructions everything seems to work but the video card. I have the exact same machine, but no matter what i try I can never get the video to work. I can't drag windows around once I install the NVidia drivers.

After I install the NVidia drivers above then reboot my windows will tear, then I try to install the NVDarwin 1.2.3 (select the 512MB setting) then reboot the screen always comes up black, and I can't load in to the system.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? I would really appreciate any help.

Regards,

Xan

Anyone able to help out with this laptop? I got past the black screen problems by deleting all of the nvidia drivers using single user mode, then starting back over with the nVidia 9000 series installer v2 followed by NVdarwin, both 1.2.3 and 1.2.5 (not at the same time of course), but once I get either installed again I go right back to a black screen once the system is booted and have to delete all nVidia references in my extensions once again. Safe mode doesn't get around this problem either, it boots to a black screen as well. I don't know what to do at this point, I've tried everything I can think of.

I'm in the same boat. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Anytime I try to install the video drivers I get a black screen after using NVDarwin. I have also tried using NVInstaller 5.2 and get the same problems.

I end up doing the same thing you did.. Deleting all the references and load in.

Using iDeneb 10.5.5, with selected fixes listed above.

Following the above instructions everything seems to work but the video card. I have the exact same machine, but no matter what i try I can never get the video to work. I can't drag windows around once I install the NVidia drivers.

After I install the NVidia drivers above then reboot my windows will tear, then I try to install the NVDarwin 1.2.3 (select the 512MB setting) then reboot the screen always comes up black, and I can't load in to the system.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? I would really appreciate any help.

Regards,

Xan

Get Ideneb 10.5.6 you can just install the nvdarwin 512 right from the customize page. or you could try using nvdarwin 1.2.5 anyway. good luck. Don't install multiple drivers of the same kind. :P

• 3 weeks later...