RETAIL Snow Leopard 10.6.4/10.6.5 on HP HDX16/HDX18/DV6000/DV9000 Laptop

Newman Cook

116 posts in this topic

Intel WIFI card

I'm sure most have figured this out, but just in case:

There are TWO mini PCIE cards in my HDX 18t.

The one underneath the small "subwoofer" door is the WIFI card.

Believe that the other card...under the large door.... is the Hybrid TV card.

G

Ive just ordered a HP branded Broadcom BCM4311 hopefully this will work with the HP BIOS whitelist. Wifi is currently the only non working component in my HDX161005ea

I also have the HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L drive which works perfectly minus the blu-ray support.

Ive just ordered a HP branded Broadcom BCM4311 hopefully this will work with the HP BIOS whitelist. Wifi is currently the only non working component in my HDX161005ea

I also have the HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L drive which works perfectly minus the blu-ray support.

Manni: Hope you get lucky with your new card; historically having an HP-branded version doesn't usually help.

I'm very happy with the performance of my RaLink-based Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card.

With the Ralink OSX drivers (see my earlier post), it just works. Plus, it is cheap on ebay.

Only caution is that Belkin COULD change chip sets without notice.

G

Thanks Guilliamo

Glad to hear your wireless is now working, If i run into issues i shall definately look into getting the Belkin F5D8073.

Im hoping the HP vendor id is the only thing the BIOS whitelist checks otherwise i may have to flash the firmware on the BCM4311.

Hard Drive in Optical Bay

Since I ordered my HDX 18t with only one hard drive, I've been looking for a work-around until an HDD caddy & cable is available at a reasonable price.

I really like having a separate hard drive for each operating system.

Picked up an OBHD-SATA-SATA from NewModeUS.com ($42) which allows mounting a hard drive in place of the Blu-Ray combo drive.

Works fine & the chrome finish matches the HDX 18t pretty well...although the faceplate is not as thick as the double faceplate that HP uses on their Blu-Ray drive, so the

OBHD-SATA-SATA when installed is recessed about 3/16". The stock Blu-Ray drive is retained by a single screw, marked with an optical disc symbol on the bottom of the HDX-18t,

so swapping the Blu-Ray drive back in when its needed is quick and easy.

Possibilities are endless...how about 3 500GB hard drives in an HDX 18t !!!

The OBHD-SATA-SATA is designed to fit in place of any standard SATA laptop optical drive, so will also work in the HDX-16t and other laptops with SATA optical drives.

NewModeUS also has similar enclosures for laptops that use IDE optical drives.

G

SUCCESFFULLY UPDATED TO 10.5.6 FROM IDENEB WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING EXCEPT USE APPLES UPDATE MANAGER! DEALING WITH KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD WAS SUCH A PAIN AFTER THE UPDATE IF YOU GUYS NEED THE KEXTS TO GET THEM WORKING JUST TELL ME. IM TRYING TO FIND THE WEBCAM DRIVERS THE WEBCAM STOPED AFTER THE UPDATE AS WELL. OTHER THEN THAT THE ONLY THING IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH IS THE 5100 WIFI. I TRYED TO SWITCH IT OUT WITH AN OLD BROADCOMM WIFI CHIP I HAVE BUT HP WHITELIST IS A {censored} AND WOULDNT LET ME BOOT UP WHEN I PUT IT IN.

SUCCESFFULLY UPDATED TO 10.5.6 FROM IDENEB WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING EXCEPT USE APPLES UPDATE MANAGER! DEALING WITH KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD WAS SUCH A PAIN AFTER THE UPDATE IF YOU GUYS NEED THE KEXTS TO GET THEM WORKING JUST TELL ME. IM TRYING TO FIND THE WEBCAM DRIVERS THE WEBCAM STOPED AFTER THE UPDATE AS WELL. OTHER THEN THAT THE ONLY THING IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH IS THE 5100 WIFI. I TRYED TO SWITCH IT OUT WITH AN OLD BROADCOMM WIFI CHIP I HAVE BUT HP WHITELIST IS A {censored} AND WOULDNT LET ME BOOT UP WHEN I PUT IT IN.

yeah could you PM me or post a link? I want to try the update. I am also still trying to get full resolution on my hdx 16 but I think it's because I bought the cheaper LCD screen. I only get 1024x768 :) resolution choices. I can' t get the sound card to work either...either way I want to mess with the update while I am doing all the rest. Thanks for the news.

I recently got an HDX 18 (HP x18-1099ux) with 2 250GB HDs and tried to install iDeneb 10.5.5 on the second disk in a 30GB partition. I am planning to dual-boot with Vista Ultimate 64, and following the steps on the first post, I seem to have successfully installed iDeneb--the setup program makes it to the Green Check and restarts the computer. Unfortunately the HDX does not boot into the new OS-the HDX just boots into Vista as if it was the only installed OS. Rebooting from the iDeneb DVD shows that the Mac OS X partition has had 6.5GB of data written to it from the iDeneb install. Help getting Mac OS bootable would be greatly appreciated.

I recently got an HDX 18 (HP x18-1099ux) with 2 250GB HDs and tried to install iDeneb 10.5.5 on the second disk in a 30GB partition. I am planning to dual-boot with Vista Ultimate 64, and following the steps on the first post, I seem to have successfully installed iDeneb--the setup program makes it to the Green Check and restarts the computer. Unfortunately the HDX does not boot into the new OS-the HDX just boots into Vista as if it was the only installed OS. Rebooting from the iDeneb DVD shows that the Mac OS X partition has had 6.5GB of data written to it from the iDeneb install. Help getting Mac OS bootable would be greatly appreciated.

Tinkerer: In my experience with the HDX 18, and other recent HP laptops, there is no option in the BIOS to point to the second hard drive. Sooo...it may be that your install is just fine, but you need a bootloader on the primary hard drive to point to the OSX partition. Personally, I like one hard drive devoted to Vista & the second hard drive devoted to OSX, but I know that there are lots of users with success in a variety of partitioning schemes.

The bootloader I use is the excellent and free "EasyBCD" from <http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1>. You may also find it useful to search this forum using <http://######.com/osx86search/> for EasyBCD for installation tips for Leopard.

G

Thanks for the advice Guilliamo. Unfortunately, I'd already tried EasyBCD--on my HDX it did not show the "Auto-configure Mac Settings" option when I selected "Generic x86 Hardware" on the "Mac" tab in the "Add/Remove Entries" section. Maybe successful HDX iDeneb installs in this thread were only on 1-drive, multiple partition configs? I would appreciate some tips if anyone succeeded in dual-booting with dual-drives.

Thanks for the advice Guilliamo. Unfortunately, I'd already tried EasyBCD--on my HDX it did not show the "Auto-configure Mac Settings" option when I selected "Generic x86 Hardware" on the "Mac" tab in the "Add/Remove Entries" section. Maybe successful HDX iDeneb installs in this thread were only on 1-drive, multiple partition configs? I would appreciate some tips if anyone succeeded in dual-booting with dual-drives.

Tinkerer: There is an EasyBCD 2.0 Beta: <http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=142582>. may be worth a try.

G

Tinkerer: There is an EasyBCD 2.0 Beta: <http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=142582>. may be worth a try.

G

Thanks, that did the trick. Installed the drivers indicated in OP and everything seems functional; all that remains is to fix Mac OS thinking my internal drives were external. Color me impressed-now I'm considering trying to get iDeneb onto my TouchSmart IQ816 :wacko:

P.S. Oh and OS X thinks the HDX is a MacPro3,1 minor quibble lol

Ive posted my experiences with the HP branded Broadcom 4311 here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1017284

So not to get anyone excited, its not good news :angel:

I shall be looking to get a cardbus alternative such as the Belkin F5D8073 for the meantime.

So folks don't have to hunt for it, the Ralink driver that works with my Belkin F5D8073 is at <http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html>, listed as RT2860.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys i'm stuck with a problem in my new hackbook (hp pavilion dv5-1170el which is similar to the HP HDX16.)

the problem i'm facing is with this damn Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S SATA drive.

It forced me to install from an usb dvd rom since kept stopping at the still waiting for root device error plus it's not even recognized by leopard.

when i put it off the notebook System Profiler updates informations about Serial-ATA correctly showing my hard drive and the four port ich9 controller.

But with the Optiarc plugged Profiler says "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices"

So my question is that simple:

Which SATA DVD RW drive should i buy to make it work under leopard?

thanks.

esata

Anyone had success with esata port on their HDX (mines an 18t) ?

My external drive (in a "Mobile Disk" case) works fine when USB-connected,

but is not recognized in either OSX or Vista (64 bit) when using an esata-sata cable.

Posts on forum.notebookreview.com (example: <http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=4251751&postcount=2698>)

indicate that other users are having the same/similar problem in Vista.

The esata-connected drive also does not show up in the BIOS, but other posts indicate that this may be "normal" ??

Thanks,

G

Hello,

Good guide thanks, I have installed iDeneb with all diffs on a HP HDX 16 1050EV.

The wireless still a problem :-(

Also have a problem with the keyboard, the num pad and the key for numlock is not working. The num pad is "locked" to num pad no way to get it back to arrows.

Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance.

SeMag

Hi , i read your post and i have a question.

I have Hp HDX 16-1040EL, i have install successfull ideneb 1.5.5, with graphic card working at full resolution.

Everything is ok, dual boot, graphic card, webcam, external usb wifi key etc.

My only problem is audio card.

i have follow step by step the first post but at the end audio card is not working.

I can't listening evry sound.

Where i wrong?

Please help me.

Someboy help me please.

Thank you.

I asked in the forums months ago if anyone thought the HP HDX 16 would be compatible with osx and got no response. I am still planning on buying one soon.

but there are so many people in this topic saying different things that it is hard to tell how fully supported it is.

can someone give a rundown of ALL the working/notworking features?

my specific questions include.

if you order the 1920x1080p screen, can you get full resolution working?

is the graphics card used to its full potential?

does the hdmi work in 1080p?

does the wireless work?

how long does the battery last in osx (realistically, can someone test it with a game or movie or something?

does the bluray player work?

can you burn dvd's/cds?

webcam?

wireless?

shutdown?

startup?

sleep?

final cut pro?

esata?

does the touch volume controls work?

speakers and subwoofer?

What else does/doesnt work?

sorry if I'm asking too much, but I am SURE that lots of others want to know this as well.

my dad is also going to buy one if it works well.

I want to buy this laptop for college use. will i be able to use it in osx comfortably?

SpiffyChee:

You probably don't want to hear this, but if want or need a 100% seamless OSX experience, buy a Mac. A MacBook is priced similarly to the HDX 16, and would make a good college computer as long as the lack of a dedicated video card is ok for you. One of the reasons I opted for the HDX 18t is that with two internal hard drives I can keep one hard drive dedicated to OSX, and one dedicated to Vista & I can always boot into Vista to use features not supported in OSX.

With respect to answering your specific questions, please realize that some answers may be configuration-specific, and HP is apparently doing some upgrades in production (to DDR3 memory, for example) which COULD affect OSX compatibility. I've added answers from MY experience with my HDX 18t and daily use of 10.5.5 using the info in this thread, Your mileage may vary !

G

I asked in the forums months ago if anyone thought the HP HDX 16 would be compatible with osx and got no response. I am still planning on buying one soon.

but there are so many people in this topic saying different things that it is hard to tell how fully supported it is.

can someone give a rundown of ALL the working/notworking features?

my specific questions include.

if you order the 1920x1080p screen, can you get full resolution working? (YES)

is the graphics card used to its full potential? (Appears to be.)

does the hdmi work in 1080p? (Have not tested @ 1080p but HDMI DOES work.)

does the wireless work? (No...there are good work-arounds listed in this thread; I like the Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card.)

how long does the battery last in osx (realistically, can someone test it with a game or movie or something? (Have not tested)

does the bluray player work? (Have not tested)

can you burn dvd's/cds? (Yes, but may depend on which drive you get. Mine is the Blu-Ray Combo Drive: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L)

webcam? (Yes)

wireless? (No...there are good work-arounds listed in this thread; I like the Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card.)

shutdown? (Flakey)

startup? (OK)

sleep? (Flakey...seems to wake ok but no sound out.)

final cut pro? (Have not tested)

esata? (Probably not, at least I haven't been able to get mine to work yet.)

does the touch volume controls work? (Yes)

speakers and subwoofer? (Yes)

What else does/doesnt work? (Internal TV tuner, memory card reader don't work in OSX; Firewire does)

sorry if I'm asking too much, but I am SURE that lots of others want to know this as well.

my dad is also going to buy one if it works well.

I want to buy this laptop for college use. will i be able to use it in osx comfortably?

Thanks sooo much Guilliamo! yeah i know a mac is a mac, but I am completely content doing most of my work in my vista computer, so it wont be a big deal if osx doesnt work perfect.

I mainly want osx for video editing in final cut pro, as windows has no good video editing software.

I would like to read up on the new changes to the hdx line like the ddr3, where did you find out that info?

and if you ever get the chance, it would be cool if you could post the battery life.

Temperature Monitor Version 4.6

The latest version of the excellent and free Temperature Monitor

(<http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html>)

now shows CPU temperatures as well as drive temps on my HDX 18t !

G

HP HDX 18t:

Hardware list (all work in both Vista Home Premium & OSX86 except as noted):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz)

Video: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (10DE:0649)

Chipset: Intel ICH9

Network: Realtek 8186C/8111C (10EC:8186)

Sound: Intel IDT HDA (111D:76B2, 8086:293E)

Wireless: Intel Wifi 5100 (for Vista)

Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card (for OSX86)

Blu-Ray Combo Drive: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L

Built-In Bluetooth

2X 250GB HDD

Card Reader: JMB 38x Controller (no joy in OSX86)

HP Webcam

HP Bluetooth Laser Mobile Mouse (HP P/N 45185-001)

HP xb3000 Expansion Base w/750GB HDD (shows up as USB-connected)

• 2 weeks later...

After abandoning the broadcom 4311 due to whitelist issues i picked up a Belkin F5D8073 from Amazon. So far everything is working great and the small size means it doesnt look too out of place.

My only complaint is the way the driver installs the card as an ethernet port instead of an airport, the Wireless utility launches automatically at startup and is required to connect to wireless networks.

Is there a way to stop the wireless utill popping up after the log-in?

I'm really considering this model (HDX16, not 18) as well, but I want to mainly run OS X. I am quite tired of Vista and Windows 7, which I've been running since public beta. I think OS X looks much cleaner, is easier to navigate, doesn't have as many security problems, doesn't have odd annoyances, like taking 5+ minutes to delete a bunch of files sometimes as I experience with 7 and Vista.

For the same price as a budget white MacBook, with the same 4GB DDR2 RAM, 2Ghz processor, and 250GB hdd, I also get a better 1920x1200 display, better graphics card (512MB 9600M GT, same as the high-end MacBook Pros), and a Blu-Ray player = $1300. Insane, considering the same specs for a MacBook Pro (only the 17" model supports 1920x1200) cost $2700. $1400 difference for better industrial design and DDR3 RAM, but no blu-ray, wtf? Can't believe they can still get away with charging so much. I kind of want to not buy one, and buy OS X, to get the message to them that OS X is great, but their hardware pricing is absurd and I'm not paying that just to run OS X.

Anyway, so the main problem with this model is the default wireless card, the card reader, and some issues with sound if it goes into sleep mode. That's it? Otherwise, it works as smooth as a MacBook Pro would? DVDs are burnable, Blu-Ray is playable (via VLC)? Has anyone tested TV-out using HDMI? That's quite important to me.

Are there any other wireless cards that should work? That Belkin card has extremely terrible reviews on Amazon (1 star, with every person upset with it):

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5D8073-Wirel...r/dp/B000RMPP5G

The regular (ethernet) network card is fine, right?