Intel ATOM330 D945GCLF2

CPT_MAC

21 posts in this topic

Dear fellows,

First I am far off to be an expert. Often I have no clue what I am doing. I just want to share my experience to built a hackinthos with the new Intel D945GCLF2 board Atom330 dual core CPU.

I am sure very soon some expert will develop a better instruction how to do.

In the meanwhile I got almost all to work what I need.

What do I need?

Leopard updated, Time Machine for backups, Sound, Graphic, LAN, USB, Office application running….

I have tried almost all distributions, the best and only are 95 % working out of the box is KALYWAY 10.5.2 in my opinion. The other distributions may also work, but you need to do adjustments during boot or via the terminal program and I have no experience with that.

I had to install the OSX many times before I came to the result below:

Leopard 10.5.4 running, Time Machine running, LAN working, Graphic 1024 x 768 working, sound working, but no mic, USB working.

I miss: sleep mode, but with a consumption of 30 Watts average for me it is not so important. No Mic, I can use for skype my USB Webcam with built in Mic..

The only way to have Time Machine working was the installation in the following order. I did a backup after each step.

Boot from KALYWAY 10.5.2

Options:

Kernel_9.2_sleep

Graphic GMA950 only

No sound driver, remove everything

Network cards do no changes, work out of the box. If you have trouble loosing connection, than use manual IP. In my case it works with DHCP.

WiFi, deselect everything

Mobo chipsets no change

Third party Applications: I selected the following, but it is all up to you.

Archives, Fairmount, Growl, Gmail notifier, Kexthelper B7, Onyx, I photo, macam_iusbcam, Mac the ripper, Proxy, Pacifist, perian, Ppfomatic, solarssek, stuffit expander, textmate, vlc, xbanch.

Patches: Very important, TICK TIME MACHINE FIX !!!!!

Not to lose the Time Machine working, I used after many hours the following install sequence.

Install KALYWAY 10.5.2 as above,

Backup with Time Machine.

Install combo Update 10.5 3 and follow the instruction, no restart…. Keep your Kernel etc….Than restart. I found out, restart some times hangs up. Better use shut down and than turn on again. I it hangs up on shut down or restart, than turn off by pushing the power baton.

Backup with Time Machine

Install Kalyway 10.5.4 Update

Backup with Time Machine

Than I customized my Leopard.

Installed the German.pkg. I had to restart twice before everything was in German.

Installation sound driver from the Italian board ALC662. HAD patcher and so on. If you don’t find a sound device in “About your Mac” move with the mouse the volume knob. It did the trick for me.

Next I installed I life. Than I did all Apple updates except the 10.5.5 via Online update.

Next I installed Office 2008 and did online Updates.

With this sequence, you will have Leopard 10.5.4, working Time Machine, graphic works without any artefacts in office for example which I had before. Sound, but no mic. LAN perfectly, USB perfect, no sleep.

I hope, the instruction above will help some newbie’s like me. I think this board will be very popular for hackinthos pretty soon.

Maybe some of the experts will develop a boot disk which resolve the remaining issues and to use an official Leopard system operation disk to have also access to all Updates.

I have given up for the moment to update to 10.5.5. I followed the instruction, but my system always crashed during the update.

Please keep this topic slim. Don't ask which power supply, case, HD etc. I am using. Who cares? All information I can give are above.

One short amendment.

While I wrote my instruction above on my windows pc, I lost connection with internet on my hackintosh and also my graphic resolution went back to default. No idea why. I select a manual IP now I have my LAN back and the Graphic works again on 1280 x 960 after reinstalling the GMA Ktext's.

However after working with windows since the beginning in the 90' I enjoy to have the possibility now to check out Apple OSX if it does the job for me before buying maybe a real Mac in the future. The design is still outstanding and can't be cloned. Especially the new Macbook.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well got a D945GCLF2 up and running, updated to 10.5.5 with the latest Software updates installed.

It runs the Vanilla 9.5 kernel.

(I need to admit that i installed it a number of times due to the fact that i never played with Mac OS x in Intel before....)

Used the following script running as root while doing the installation of the updates

#!/usr/bin/sh

while /usr/bin/true

do

echo test

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

sleep 1

done

- Started with Kalyway 10.5.2

- Then the Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3 and The Kernel package

While running the script

Installed the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.4.dmg from the Apple site

reboot

update -v

Started the script again

installed MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg

reboot

update -v

Used Pacifist to reinstall the GMA950 drivers from the Kalyway DVD

reboot

Then just went to the Apple site with Software update and let it run.

The only thing that doesn't work is Audio this will be the next project, i tried the ALC662 drivers floating around, edited some Info files trying to add the deviceID (0x8086D604) .... but the system keeps quiet as a mouse.

Specs

Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330, latest BIOS

2 Gb Memory

500 Gb SATA Disk

GB Ethernet (no problems just DHCP running 1GB full-duplex)

Some IDE DVD Drive (was just laying around)

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing that doesn't work is Audio this will be the next project, i tried the ALC662 drivers floating around, edited some Info files trying to add the deviceID (0x8086D604) .... but the system keeps quiet as a mouse.

Followed your instructions which allowed me to get to the 10.5.5 - thank you very much.

Now stuck with the missing sound just as you describe. Did you ever manage to get a working solution for that one?

Hi!

I'm kind of new to OSx86 scene, and I've recently bought the D945GCLF2 motherboard, along with 2gb OCZ DDR2 800 ram and WD 500Gb Green Power hard drive. As I found one old IDE DVD drive at home, I used this one and CPT_MAC's guide on installing Leopard on this rig. So far I've managed to install OSX 10.5.2 on the machine but I'm stuck at the point where I'm to install 10.5.3 so I'd appreciate any help from you experts.

I did everything written in this guide including ticking time machine fix and intel GMA drivers. But I'm still somehow unable to use Time Machine and install 10.5.3 combo update. When the time machine icon is clicked, the window of Finder with folder Desktop appears and kind of freezes. System then restarts Finder and nothing happens. This is kind of weird. Secondly, I've gotten kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate + Tradução PT-BR and copied it to desktop. As I don't understand PT or BR I deleted that file. Then I installed firstly combo update and didn't restart and secondly kernel with leaving everything as it was. After that I shut machine down and started it again. When facing the darwin boot screen I pressed F8 and typed in update -v. Then it proceeded to the Apple splash screen with Apple logo. This is the point where it stops. That little circle starts circling under the Apple logo and suddenly stops. The moment after that some strange artifacts or something similar to rainbow appeared for a second and then the system rebooted. I assume there is something wrong with video drivers but I do not know how to fix it. Any help is very appreciated! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Short update,

After hacking all the kexts and following all kinds of guids and leads to linux codecs for the ALC662, i found the following link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear

downloaded it and installed it and some magic happend, the audio started to work and even the reboot (which i didn't wrote but found out later)

So if you are running 10.5.5 ...... the package described might work for your audio also

.... next project.... get 10.5.5 running on a Asus Eee BOX B202

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks CPT_MAC for the instructions.

Just a note to help those who might have problem mounting USB harddisk for use in "Time Machine".

I try to use a USB-to-ATA/ATAPI to physically connect a harddisk for use as backup drive in "Time Machine". Yet I found out that the USB harddisk was not mounted.

I did some research and found this is due to two problems and it might be encountered by people following this instructions.

The following post will help solving it:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

The reason is:

1) Different (non-matching) versions of kernel (mach_kernel) and system.kext

This is the case as the default sleeping kernel is of 9.2.2. Yet the system.kext is of 9.2.0

2) IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext is not loaded correctly

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext is now not included as a plugin in the IOUSBFamily.kext, but separately in Extensions folder. Somehow with 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext, the kernel never picks up the updated massstorageclass kext.

• 1 month later...

Anyone tried with the Foxcon 45CSX instead of the Intel? It's seems quite similar.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Moth...ID=en-us0000425

I've just ordered one and keen to give it a go.

No IDE on it which might be a worry, I have a USB DVD drive.

Processor:	   Intel® AtomTM dual-core 330 processor mounted onboard
Chipset:		 Intel® 945GC + ICH7
Front Side Bus:  533 MHz (FSB)
Memory:		  DDR2 533 MHz x 1 DIMM, Max. 2GB
VGA on Die:	  Integrated
Expansion Slots: 1* PCI
IDE: 			N/A
SATA/RAID:	   2* SATA II
Audio:		   5.1 channel HDA by Realtek® ALC662
LAN:			 10/100M LAN by Realtek® RTL8100C

I donb't see anything about that Foxconn that makes it better than the intel board.. In fact, the Intel board beats it handily.

They both have VGA out and no DVI out, The Intel board also has S-Video out, but the foxconn doesn't. They both have PCI and not PCI-e, they both only have 2 SATA ports. The Intel board has IDE as well. They both only have one ram slot (but who cares with the 945's 2gb limit anyways), the Intel board has gigabit ethernet, this Foxconn only has 100Mbit.. The foxconn only has 6 USB ports (2 external, and one internal header) the Intel has 8 (2 inside, 2 out).. I hope you got a SMOKING good deal on that board, because it seems to suck.

I donb't see anything about that Foxconn that makes it better than the intel board.. In fact, the Intel board beats it handily.

They both have VGA out and no DVI out, The Intel board also has S-Video out, but the foxconn doesn't. They both have PCI and not PCI-e, they both only have 2 SATA ports. The Intel board has IDE as well. They both only have one ram slot (but who cares with the 945's 2gb limit anyways), the Intel board has gigabit ethernet, this Foxconn only has 100Mbit.. The foxconn only has 6 USB ports (2 external, and one internal header) the Intel has 8 (2 inside, 2 out).. I hope you got a SMOKING good deal on that board, because it seems to suck.

The Foxconn is a fair bit cheaper, however that's not a problem as I can use it for another project. I will order the Intel board as you suggest and give it a go.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
The iAtkos distro installs the proper sound drivers out of the box.
Greetings, at my wit's end with the audio issues on the D945GLCLF2 board. iPC has installed and is running flawlessly, however I've tried ALC662, Azalia, and numerous other tries from posts on this subject...no luck with audio at all. In SYSTEM PROFILER, Audio (built-in) is listing "Intel High Definition Audio" with Device ID 0X8086D604 // Audio ID=12 and is blank under "Available Devices". In SYSTEM PREF. i've never been able to get any device listing in output or input. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I;ve tried iAtkos 7 (10.5.7) but I think I may have wrong settings so would be grateful if anyone else can share theirs. Sleep doesnt work for me and I have to disable HT to get it booting 10.5.7 otherwise kernel panics. I did have sleep working on one install sort of but on resume the LAN would stop working. Voodoo HDA worked well for sound

Share your experience and settings used please

• 1 month later...
Greetings, at my wit's end with the audio issues on the D945GLCLF2 board. iPC has installed and is running flawlessly, however I've tried ALC662, Azalia, and numerous other tries from posts on this subject...no luck with audio at all. In SYSTEM PROFILER, Audio (built-in) is listing "Intel High Definition Audio" with Device ID 0X8086D604 // Audio ID=12 and is blank under "Available Devices". In SYSTEM PREF. i've never been able to get any device listing in output or input. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

I used IPC to install. Pick BOTH ALC662 AND Azalia. It's worked for me for installs of IPC 1.5.6 on 4 of these little gems.

Sound, sleep, sound after sleep, shutdown and restart all work correctly.