DAW - based on GA-EP45 incl. hardware list

peach-os

224 posts in this topic

thanks your quick answer, I did manually setup with fdisk and it was succesful.

my other issue is that i have 8500gt card and i cant get it work, so i use my system with an old 7200gs card.

If you can give any further assistance that would be appreciated.

Anyway your guide is the best i have ever read, thank you again!

P.

it seems that some 8600GT plists or settings work also for the 8500. would be worth to try

• 2 weeks later...

Hi peach-os

i've spent about 1 month getting my AMD computer working with iDeneb!

Basically my interest is on composing music, and OSX is marvellous!

I also have a MacBookPro an a MacBook that I love.

Now i need a machine to do some stuff that MBP or MB can't do, but I can't afford a new MacPro!!!! :D

Really thank you for getting the pieces togheter, and making me decide the Hackintosh way!

I will buy in the next days the components needed to buid your configuration, except for:

CPU: Q9550 step C1

Ram: OCZ DDR2 PC2-800 or CORSAIR DDR2 6400C5DHX

HD1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 150Gb SATA2 WD1500HLFS 10.000rpm

HD2: WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR SE16 640GB SATA2 16MB WD6400AAKS

Video: XFX 9800GT 512MB DDR3 XXX

I hope to find the way out!!!

Once built I will post my story.

Sorry for bad English :D

I will go for 9600 GT instead of 8600 because is much easy for me to get it. So I hope to not have trouble with this card (bacuse of G94 GPU).

But now I'm really confused about getting Q9550 step C1 or Q6600. The price difference is about 100€ but in your opinion is better to get q6600 and overclock it??

I want a really stable DAW and I'm thinking not to overclock...

Basically, minor modifications to your configuration might be useful to extend our knowledge on building DAW systems.

I'm pretty confident that configuration i've posted will work and could be a natural update of your configuration...

So I'm very interested on supporting OSx86 for perfect DAWs!!!

look in my sig - my system is overclocked to 3,2 GHz. absolutely stable!

the q9550 is better - but the q6600 would be enough for music production. I had to take the same decision and decided to save the money for a new system based on a core i7 as soon as the prices drop (maybe summer?)

Finally here's my order!!

1 x ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO

1 x Cooler Master Cabinet CENTURION 590

1 x LC-POWER Green Power LC6550GP V2.2 550W

1 x Western Digital VelociRaptor 150Gb SATA2 WD1500HLFS 10.000rpm

2 x WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR SE16 640GB SATA2 16MB WD6400AAKS

1 x LG DVD±RW 22x GH22NS40

2 x OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz 4GB PC2-8500 Platinum (OCZ2P10664GK)

1 x INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9550 2830Mhz 12MB Box

1 x Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

1 x XFX 9600GT 512MB DDR3 2DVI

2 x Arctic Cooling 120x120x38 5mm FAN 12 PWM

2 x LG LCD 22" W2242T-PF 5ms

1 x Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard Retail DVD

Now I will study all the operation needed to make this hackintosh work!!!

I've read about full compatibility between OSX 10.5.6 and nVidia 9600 GT. I must collect all information to make the upgrade easy!

In the next week I will able to work on this machine!!!

Hi peach-os

I've read many and many posts to get my configuration work (when it arrives!!).

Because of my video card is natively supported in leo 10.5.6 and I will start from 10.5.4 retail leo install, in your opinion is better to do the install without video CI/QE in 10.5.4 and then do the Combo Update to 10.5.6 or something else??

Is better to do 10.5.5 update first or go directly to 10.5.6 combo update??

I hope to install 10.5.4 and update to 10.5.6 getting 9600 GT works automatically... !

hi peach i have quite the same hardward list.

but only 1 hard disk... i don't need a raid or backup sistem at all cose i have a real time capsule in the office.

so my question is ... how can i install leo retail on my ep45-ds3 using your guide but without make the secondary disc partition ?

tnx a lot in advance!

hi peach i have quite the same hardward list.

but only 1 hard disk... i don't need a raid or backup sistem at all cose i have a real time capsule in the office.

so my question is ... how can i install leo retail on my ep45-ds3 using your guide but without make the secondary disc partition ?

tnx a lot in advance!

the guide is not only about the installation - it´s also about a good backup strategy. therefore you need a second install - at least in an usb thumb drive

hi peach!

My system has arrived. I get more and more kernel panic during installation of Kaly 10.5.1...

I cannot get it to work. Some ideas?

did you switch to ahci? at which point do you have the panic? is the hardware list still the same you mentioned before?

Hi peach

basically I get kernel paniic during installation of Kaly. The exact point is when the istallation program transfers all the data to my hard disk.

SATA is set to AHCI.

My config is:

1 x ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO

1 x Cooler Master Cabinet CENTURION 590

1 x LC-POWER Green Power LC6550GP V2.2 550W

1 x Western Digital VelociRaptor 150Gb SATA2 WD1500HLFS 10.000rpm

2 x WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR SE16 640GB SATA2 16MB WD6400AAKS

1 x LG DVD±RW 22x GH22NS40

2 x OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz 4GB PC2-8500 Platinum (OCZ2P10664GK)

1 x INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9550 2830Mhz 12MB Box

1 x Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

1 x XFX 9600GT 512MB DDR3 2DVI

2 x Arctic Cooling 120x120x38 5mm FAN 12 PWM

2 x LG LCD 22" W2242T-PF 5ms

1 x Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard Retail DVD

I'm installing Kaly on one of 640Gb Western digital hard drive with two partitions HFS+ Journaled and GUID.

After 10-12 installations I've found that motherboard recognize correctly my DDR2 ram clocked at 1066MHz but I've forced to run at 800MHz and the kernel panic is GONE AWAY!!!!

After this discover I've correctly installed Kaly, but at reboot my system hangs at some point. (Before switching to graphic mode).

So I've reinstalled once again Kaly, selecting only Vanilla Kernel, BUT NO GRAPHIC CARD KEXT.

Finally I've rebooted and I get Kaly installed and running!!!

This evening I will try to make a retail install of Leopard and then I write feedback on my experience!

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR SUPPORT, seeyou!

Hi peach!

Finally ALL IS WORKING! (with some minor issues).

The problem was the RAM timings. I don't know why the motherboard automatically set them wrong...

I manually override these setting and all is going fine!!

THANK YOU!

The only issue I report is that when i go in Stop mode the computer shutdown... Is it normal??

My video card works in 10.5.6 with only EFI string!!!

I'm so happy!!!

This evening I try to understand more of my system!!

Hi peach!

Finally ALL IS WORKING! (with some minor issues).

The problem was the RAM timings. I don't know why the motherboard automatically set them wrong...

I manually override these setting and all is going fine!!

THANK YOU!

The only issue I report is that when i go in Stop mode the computer shutdown... Is it normal??

My video card works in 10.5.6 with only EFI string!!!

I'm so happy!!!

This evening I try to understand more of my system!!

STOP mode? :)

if you mean SLEEP - read the solution here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Thank you for the very carefully outlined install!

I followed the instructions to the point of the first boot of the HD (after EFI) and I get the b0 error. I've heard of this before and was just wondering how to correct it from my Kalyway install. Thanks.

Thank you for the very carefully outlined install!

I followed the instructions to the point of the first boot of the HD (after EFI) and I get the b0 error. I've heard of this before and was just wondering how to correct it from my Kalyway install. Thanks.

b0 error = fdisk / efi not installed correctly

use pcefi v9 instead of osx86tools from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142628

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1051616 (raid edition)

if this doesn´t work you have to do it manually as described.

right click or apple+i on MacHD and check the permissions. uncheck ignore user and set everything to read and write befor you install (for some reason it helps sometimes that way).

good luck :rolleyes:

b0 error = fdisk / efi not installed correctly

use pcefi v9 instead of osx86tools from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?sho wtopic=142628

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1051616 (raid edition)

if this doesn´t work you have to do it manually as described.

right click or apple+i on MacHD and check the permissions. uncheck ignore user and set everything to read and write befor you install (for some reason it helps sometimes that way).

good luck :(

Okay - sounds great. So that I'm entirely clear, the fdisk step created the small partition on which the stuff is installed so there is no reason to redo that step in your instructions. I will ensure that the "ignore user" is unchecked and then just need to apply the chameleon v1012 (assuming it is going to work at all)?

The kexts you included in your zip file are specific for your hardware I presume. Is there anything special I need to do for my particular MB (GA-EP45-UD3R) beyond your initial post? There are many kext packages for my MB on GA-EP45-UD3R - should I be using any of these instead?

Thanks!

I recently built a DAW hack and it is brilliant.

I hadnt seen this first but my specs are basically the same as you can see in my sig.

Everything works perfect and im using boot 132 at the moment with the dfe efi partition bootloader and its great.

I have logic pro, Pro tools 8, Garage Band and reason at my disposal for my production so im having a blast!

Yhis is a great guide. 100% reccomend it to anyone whos interested in building a hackintosh DAW. There is absolutely no difference in performance between this and a real mac. Well... the hack is probably going to be alot faster ;)

flash

Okay - sounds great. So that I'm entirely clear, the fdisk step created the small partition on which the stuff is installed so there is no reason to redo that step in your instructions. I will ensure that the "ignore user" is unchecked and then just need to apply the chameleon v1012 (assuming it is going to work at all)?

The kexts you included in your zip file are specific for your hardware I presume. Is there anything special I need to do for my particular MB (GA-EP45-UD3R) beyond your initial post? There are many kext packages for my MB on GA-EP45-UD3R - should I be using any of these instead?

Thanks!

fdisk marks your disk active, the efi installer copies the boot file to the boot partition.

do the fdisk again - it desn´t hurt ;)

this kexts could be used for almost every os x compatible board - there are no other specific kexts for your version.

fdisk marks your disk active, the efi installer copies the boot file to the boot partition.

do the fdisk again - it desn´t hurt :(

this kexts could be used for almost every os x compatible board - there are no other specific kexts for your version.

You continue to be very (very!) helpful. Thank you.

So that I'm clear - whether I use this method or the boot132 method, the results should be identical is that correct? In both cases, a small boot partition is created which allows you to boot into an "un-modified" OSX install. In theory this then allows you to update without fear of breaking your install. The boot132 disks essentially are just allowing you to get to the install itself and are acting as surrogates for the boot partition which you create with the fdisk using your method. Either way, the boot files need to be installed (chameleon/EFI) and then kexts replaced depending on your specific system. Using your method, you always have that existing non-vanilla install to use to get back into your main install. Presumably for the boot132 folks, they would just need to go back to booting off the CD (boot132 iso) if you broke something to the point that you could no longer boot off the HD.

Does a wiki exist which talks about these issues? I have to say, I'm just begining to appreciate the overlapping and somewhat confusing functions of the various players here (EFI, chameleon, UInstaller, OSX86Tools, boot132, this method etc).

I appreciate your help.

EDIT

OK! I redid f-disk, then used the new Chameleon and I was able to boot of the HD without any issue! Very excited. I then followed your instructions to install the various kext files and on reboot, got the following kernel panic:

post-166457-1234403238_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to figure out how to interpret these things having seen quite a few in the past week. I imagine I'll have to undo some of the kexts to get things working again.

Thanks!