DAW - based on GA-EP45 incl. hardware list

peach-os

224 posts in this topic

after succesful install you should anyway change boot priority in bios to the main install MacHD. if you need to do repairs or updates, you select LeoX with F12 - but this should be basic knowledge -_-

I had a few PM´s about some problems. all the problems had one in common: they didn´t follow the guide strictly.

this guide was meant for people that don´t want to struggle around with problems instead of making music.

every decision about hardware,procedure and releases are based on certain experiences.

so one more time: don´t use patched versions on your P45 to work with logic - use retail!

Peach I followed your instructions exactly as stated and when I try to reboot the retail drive i get this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

with a flashing cursor I get nothing else... any ideas?

search the board for the boot0 error. you will find tons about that problem

Well i most definately agree with Peach. I want to be running my logic with minimal problems. So...

I went out and bought the retail 10.5.4 Leopard today.

I changed the bios settings so that MacHD was the first hard drive to boot off & followed the guide exactly until I came to the famous 'b0 error'. After sucessfully completing both options at the osx86 site:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/B0_error

i have come to a black screen with a paging white "-" symbol.

Anyone came accross this before?

There is no more b0 error but it is as if the computer cant find the right trigger files on the HD to load MacHD. I say this because after about 34 minutes its still stuck at that black screen with the on/off "-".

Retail Leopard wont install onto MBR

I just had to install a machine last night. same method - no problems.

yes- guid is important (written in the guide)

a blinking cursor still means that the system can´t boot. two possibilities:

1.the system is not active - use fdisk correctly

2. EFI is not applied correctly - do it once more

try to install the EFI manualy incl. dd=if arguments

download EFI - you could try also EFI 9, the newest version. if you don´t now where - use the search engine.

put the EFI folder pc_efi_v8 to the root of your LeoX and open terminal. in terminal write:

diskutil list (check the name of LeoX)

cd /Volumes/LeoX/pc_efi_v8

diskutil unmount diskXsy (define the correct disk)

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

well, Peach... I've been following you guides here, and I'm S.O.L. everytime I get to the first reboot after retail installed, I get the endless spinning below the apple. Maybe because my board is slightly different, I don't know. I have the newer one that lets you use either DDR2 or DDR3 RAM.

What I have now is 2 HDs, drive 1 partitioned into 2 drives, kalyway 10.5.3 running stable on one from last week, everything great (i swaped out my 9600GT for an 8600GT and have full QE/CI). Audio is patched and Logic 8 is up and running on it, my evolution keyboard is working fine... all that jazz.. so I don't want to wipe that drive/partition.

I followed your guide, basically just booting into tmy already working drive, mounting retail... and installing retail to the 2nd HD... then on first reboot, the spinning circle of death.

I want to keep partition1 alive, and use partition 2 as retail... and drive #2 as a data storage drive.... so I followed your guide and booted into kalyway 10.5.2 with default options, (I think its softmod kernel) and installed it on to drive 2... completely fresh

Rebooted into that install of kalyway 10.5.2 on drive 2 (switched boot priority)... Then I mounted retail image, installed retail onto empty partiton 2 of drive one. I had to use Chameleon (EFI 8 would not work, got a boot error everytime i restarted).

now when I get to the Fdisk and efi point... does it matter what order I use Fdisk and install chameleon? Do I add to both partitions after retail install? Basically that's what I did... added chameleon again to fix boot problem and I got back to my old install, and saw retail option on partion2, but when I choose partition 2, again... same thing.... it loads the main graphic mac screen and stays there, spinning.... endlessly.. i can't get in and apply the patches. (I even applied the patches once when i booted from the other hard drive, repaired permissions, all that.. but made it worse, i got the spinning circle, then the crossed out circle over the apple.)

so, yah... I dunno... this is like the 30th time I've installed... i did manage to get into retail 10.5.4 then update to 10.5.5 once, using someone else guide... when i got that far just before it restarted, it would hang at "updating boot caches".. and I could only get in using -x

:) your guide here makes it sound so simple, but it's not working for me.

I have a few days off for turkey day, so I'll keep banging away... maybe it'll work out..

the guide is 100% working if you follow it strictly. of course you could run into trouble if you mix partitions. using an other graphic card means also that you have to gather informations yourself how to install it.

you should install the retail on a disk with one partition. it makes life so much easier and is also a part of the included backup strategy.

you say the guide sounds simple - you didn´t follow the guide in essential points

about the spinning wheel problem: this could be an issue with your graphic card

boot with -v to see what´s causing it

My graphic card is working fine, it's running full QE/CI on the partiton1 of Kalyway 10.5.3... that's not it.

and i noted above that I also have tried installing retail to a different drive, same thing.

This is the part I don't get.. from your step 3 to step 4

now reboot into your new retail installation. You will have a bad resolution. We will solve this soon.

STEP 4 – patches

copy all files from your usb stick to the desktop. open kexthelper and drag and drop this kexts to kexthelper.

openhaltrestart.kext ( enables restart and shutdown – thanks to psystar)

IntelcpuMdisabler.kext ( disables the AppleIntelCpuPowermanagment.kext for future updates)

dsmos.kext (disables some other funky kext – you know ;) )

HDAenabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext (patch for ALC889 audio)

AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext (patch to recognize the ich10R)

IOStorageFamily.kext (patch to get rid of the orange icons)

SMBIOResolver.kext (corrects the informations in systemprofiler)

how do you boot into a completely fresh, virgin, unmodded retail install, BEFORE adding those files?

It doesn't work on my board.

Like I said above, I've even tried manually copying the kexts over to the new retail install, taking taking ownership, repairing permissions, and I get the crossed out circle upon boot.

yes - it´s working on your kaly. this doesn´t mean it has to work with you retail install. there are some kexts missing that are present in kalyway.

switching step 3 to 4 works only with the 7300GT like this. with an other video card of course you might have to do some patching. you could also jump to the next step and apply the EFI strings from LeoX to the retail install. use EFIStudio and let it write your com.apple.boot.plist file in LeoX. when it´s done copy it to the same destination on MacHD and repair permissions with disk utility before you reboot.

you will find the com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration

i really don't think it has anything to do with the video card... i copied that over, it didnt make any difference.

I was getting an error Package 0 didn't get an HPET

then I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, most search results to that error mention that

Now it just stays at this -

http://i35.tinypic.com/2nqad0j.jpg

So, it seems to be NIC related, this board has dual NICs too, Dont know if your earlier model does or not.

...on and on I go! :D

Case: Thermaltake armor MX Black

Mainboard: Gigabyte Ga ep45 ds3

CPU: Intel Quad core Q9300

Corsair: Corsair Dominator 2x2GB PC 8500

HardDisk: Maxtor 500 gb SATA II 32mb cache

DVD: LG SATA

VIDEO: ASUS en8800GT/s/htdp 256mb

cooling system: SILENT SQUARE EVO asus

hope it will work with your tut!

I'm getting it completed on monday.

Case: Thermaltake armor MX Black

Mainboard: Gigabyte Ga ep45 ds3

CPU: Intel Quad core Q9300

Corsair: Corsair Dominator 2x2GB PC 8500

HardDisk: Maxtor 500 gb SATA II 32mb cache

DVD: LG SATA

VIDEO: ASUS en8800GT/s/htdp 256mb

cooling system: SILENT SQUARE EVO asus

hope it will work with your tut!

I'm getting it completed on monday.

with one HD? the rest is fine

i really don't think it has anything to do with the video card... i copied that over, it didnt make any difference.

I was getting an error Package 0 didn't get an HPET

then I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, most search results to that error mention that

Now it just stays at this -

http://i35.tinypic.com/2nqad0j.jpg

So, it seems to be NIC related, this board has dual NICs too, Dont know if your earlier model does or not.

...on and on I go! :)

I guess I found the dead-end street of you guys. I changed some points in the procedure to make it easier - so read it again :)

I have the EP45-DS3 did´nt think it was safe to use the tools for P35 mobos but it is? I mean shutdown and all that´s cool gonna try it, thanks for the good info. I noticed your reply in my thread over in HW&D graphics about the 7300 gs and removing the old 8800gt from the plist, thanks man. I´ll reply over there.

I have two hacs and have had success with the 7300gs silent (I´m a Logic fan to) so I decided to buy another and managed to find one on Ebay from Honkong.

http://stores.ebay.com/Small-HK-Store

With shipping inluded I payed just about under half the price what I did for my old 7300gs. Deliverytime to Scandinavia about a week, I just thought I should share

openhaltrestart.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

SMBIOSResolver.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

AppleHDA.kext

Thinking these kexts would give me even better performance I installed them using kexthelper on my perfectly running retail Leo 10.5.5 install.

I even checked some of them out and thought I could see they where newer kexts from what I already had so I thought they where improved ones safe to use and decided to have a go. It broke my install totally. Allmoast instantly after I installed them the screen on both my monitors got a grey field about 5 centimeters broad reaching across the screens in the upper end. At the same time the computer totally froze had to turn it of with the button.

Man what is this? These kexts does´nt work on a EP45-DS3! Lucky I have another one, got to connect the HD to it from the broken try to fix it. I just hope my videocard did´nt broke to. And how on earth these kexts could mess up the graphics at all I can´t even imagine, got to be some serious wrong with them.

I´ll check out if I missed you saying in your guide something about them not being compatible with 10.5.5 but I believe I took a really close look. If I missed it I apologize if not man I´m pissed of.

there are not any reasons that those kexts should brake your install - anyway I suggest that you should de-install the kexts step by step to find the problem. is it possible that you deleted the strings for your graphics in the same step?

Thinking these kexts would give me even better performance I installed them using kexthelper on my perfectly running retail Leo 10.5.5 install.

I even checked some of them out and thought I could see they where newer kexts from what I already had so I thought they where improved ones safe to use and decided to have a go. It broke my install totally. Allmoast instantly after I installed them the screen on both my monitors got a grey field about 5 centimeters broad reaching across the screens in the upper end. At the same time the computer totally froze had to turn it of with the button.

Man what is this? These kexts does´nt work on a EP45-DS3! Lucky I have another one, got to connect the HD to it from the broken try to fix it. I just hope my videocard did´nt broke to. And how on earth these kexts could mess up the graphics at all I can´t even imagine, got to be some serious wrong with them.

I´ll check out if I missed you saying in your guide something about them not being compatible with 10.5.5 but I believe I took a really close look. If I missed it I apologize if not man I´m pissed of.

Hi there! I finally came back to the forum 'cause I'm trying to install Retail Leo. Haven't bought it yet, just trying with a friend's version. By the way I have iDeneb working pretty much fine. I'm using your guide as inspiration to install the retail version.

I have one HD with iDeneb, and onother one in which I want to install retail. I installed using terminal form iDeneb, and I got to the point after using Fdisk and installing EFI/Chameleon. I don't know why, but I had several HSF+ partition problems, which I couldn't solve using f disk in terminal. After some trials, it happened to work (with chameleon, I think). Now, using -v, I see that the error is:

Package 0 didn't get an HPET

I installed the two texts with OSX86Tools (dsmos and IntelCpuMdisabler). I read around the web that the problem is due to a kext, don't remember which one, which should be solved/disabled by IntelCpuMdisabler. But I still get the error and the system hangs. I gave up trying to fix it for today, I'll try again tomorrow. If you happen to have a solution, please let me know! :)

Thanks

Hi there! I finally came back to the forum 'cause I'm trying to install Retail Leo. Haven't bought it yet, just trying with a friend's version. By the way I have iDeneb working pretty much fine. I'm using your guide as inspiration to install the retail version.

I have one HD with iDeneb, and onother one in which I want to install retail. I installed using terminal form iDeneb, and I got to the point after using Fdisk and installing EFI/Chameleon. I don't know why, but I had several HSF+ partition problems, which I couldn't solve using f disk in terminal. After some trials, it happened to work (with chameleon, I think). Now, using -v, I see that the error is:

Package 0 didn't get an HPET

I installed the two texts with OSX86Tools (dsmos and IntelCpuMdisabler). I read around the web that the problem is due to a kext, don't remember which one, which should be solved/disabled by IntelCpuMdisabler. But I still get the error and the system hangs. I gave up trying to fix it for today, I'll try again tomorrow. If you happen to have a solution, please let me know! :rolleyes:

Thanks

if you did install the kexts correctly, there shouldn´t be any problems. boot into leoX and go to MacHD/System/Library/Extensions to proof if they are installed. go to disk utility and repair permissions for MacHD

IntelCpuMDisabler.kext disables the AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment.kext - you could also simply delete it

with one HD? the rest is fine

I guess I found the dead-end street of you guys. I changed some points in the procedure to make it easier - so read it again :D

that 500gb hd and a smaller 120 IDE HD.

Peach do I have to install it like you say or can I make the normal install with the latest ideneb dvd on the empy partition and later install the efi boot?

hope I can since I don't wanna have the manteinance partition!

thanks man!

that 500gb hd and a smaller 120 IDE HD.

Peach do I have to install it like you say or can I make the normal install with the latest ideneb dvd on the empy partition and later install the efi boot?

hope I can since I don't wanna have the manteinance partition!

thanks man!

if you don´t want to have the maintenance partition it doesn´t make sense to use this guide. there are enough other instruction on this board.

ok ok thanks but I will need your kexts! thanks a lot.

I'll keep you informed as soon as I get my pc on thursday, indeed your method it's the best let's see if i can install the manteinanca partition on the 120 GB DISK!

thanks for the adviceeee man

you need only 10GB for it

To get back upp running again I had to go through a couple of steps (read under here) but basicly I simply deleted these kexts and replaced them with my old ones one by one all but the SMBIOSResolver.kext.

Kexts replaced:

openhaltrestart.kext ( enables restart and shutdown – thanks to psystar)

HDAenabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext (patch for ALC889 audio)

AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext (patch to recognize the ich10R)

IOStorageFamily.kext (patch to get rid of the orange icons)

SMBIOResolver.kext (corrects the informations in systemprofiler)

The funniest thing is I could´nt even boot in safe mode at first, looked like my install was to broke for that. I even tried the 123 boot CD with no luck.

What actually I did was I hooked this harddrive up to my other hack and deleted these kexts one by one and pasted my old ones back to the extensions folder to replace them. For every kext I replade I rehooked the drive and tried to boot it up to see what happend. I don´t know but in my experience it should´nt work so good just to paste kexts back to the extensionsfolder this way cause they should be properly installed using kexthelper or terminal etc. Anyway it did, don´t ask me why it just did.

Finally I got so far I actually could boot in safe mode with the 123 boot CD to get it up running so I could repair permissions.

At this stage it seemed to work OK but the "About this Mac" did´nt work so I decided to have another go with the SMBIOSResolver.kext. The same second that kexthelper had finnished the installation it paniced again and totally locked the computer up. I had to force shut it down just like the way happend the first time I tried these kexts. I once again hooked it up to my other hack and deleted the SMBIOSResolver.kext reconnected it and then I was able to boot up again.

It´s hard for me to say exactly what caused this but it seems like a few or at least the SMBIOSResolver.kext does not pair with retail the Leo 10.5.5 combo update. To get it to work following this guide you probably have to do the "fresh" install, cause the upgrades does replace a few vital kexts that the upgrade itself actually seems to need installed in order to work properly.

Strange though since i had to replace them ALL to get up running again?

I´ll give it another go with the shutdown and restart kext though cause I´d reallly like to get this working.