DAW - based on GA-EP45 incl. hardware list

peach-os

224 posts in this topic

if you did install the kexts correctly, there shouldn´t be any problems. boot into leoX and go to MacHD/System/Library/Extensions to proof if they are installed. go to disk utility and repair permissions for MacHD

IntelCpuMDisabler.kext disables the AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment.kext - you could also simply delete it

I'll check it first thing in the morning. OSX86tools says they are installed, I'll see if it's blu{censored}ting me or not :rolleyes:

I'll be building a very similar machine later this week, thanks a lot for your guide ;) - been reading it carefully and downloading all the bits I need.

Here's my hardware:

GA-EP45-DS3

Q6600

Arctic Freezer Pro 7 cooler

8GB OCZ PC6400 Gold series (4x 2GB)

Apple/Nvidia 7300GT 256MB

LG GH20NS10 DVDRW

OCZ 600W Stealth Xstream PSU

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB

I'll be running it with an RME 9652 PCI card (RME wrote intel drivers for these) and Logic 8.

Hard drives - I'm not going to need samples drives, going to make a 10GB partition on the 2nd drive and use the rest for audio tracks and backups/OS images. I'll be backing this partition up to an external HD pretty often anyway. Low hard disk noise is a priority for me!

The video card is the official Apple/Nvidia 7300GT - I got this because it's the only passively cooled card I could find with 2x DVI outs. In theory all 7300GT's should be pretty much the same - can anyone foresee any problems?

I'll be building a very similar machine later this week, thanks a lot for your guide :) - been reading it carefully and downloading all the bits I need.

Here's my hardware:

GA-EP45-DS3

Q6600

Arctic Freezer Pro 7 cooler

8GB OCZ PC6400 Gold series (4x 2GB)

Apple/Nvidia 7300GT 256MB

LG GH20NS10 DVDRW

OCZ 600W Stealth Xstream PSU

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB

I'll be running it with an RME 9652 PCI card (RME wrote intel drivers for these) and Logic 8.

Hard drives - I'm not going to need samples drives, going to make a 10GB partition on the 2nd drive and use the rest for audio tracks and backups/OS images. I'll be backing this partition up to an external HD pretty often anyway. Low hard disk noise is a priority for me!

The video card is the official Apple/Nvidia 7300GT - I got this because it's the only passively cooled card I could find with 2x DVI outs. In theory all 7300GT's should be pretty much the same - can anyone foresee any problems?

I had ordered exactly the same harddisks because they offer 32mb caches.therefore I expected them to be very fast. one of them couldn´t be recognized correctly by os x, the other one worked, but with awful speeds. it was the slowest disk I ever tried on os x. after a making few inquiries in the net, I found that this disk is known to have some problems with the firmware - especially on apple computers.

afaik if the 7300GT is made to work on real macs, it won´t work. you would need to reflash it for pc to make it work on a hac.

I had ordered exactly the same harddisks because they offer 32mb caches.therefore I expected them to be very fast. one of them couldn´t be recognized correctly by os x, the other one worked, but with awful speeds. it was the slowest disk I ever tried on os x. after a making few inquiries in the net, I found that this disk is known to have some problems with the firmware - especially on apple computers.

afaik if the 7300GT is made to work on real macs, it won´t work. you would need to reflash it for pc to make it work on a hac.

hey peach the disk I ordered it's a 32mb cache 500gb but I don't remember the brand...

uhm all the brands work or there is a specific brand that works better??? because I don't think that mine will be a western digital hd.

thanks man

if you did install the kexts correctly, there shouldn´t be any problems. boot into leoX and go to MacHD/System/Library/Extensions to proof if they are installed. go to disk utility and repair permissions for MacHD

IntelCpuMDisabler.kext disables the AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment.kext - you could also simply delete it

Hi,

kext are where they should be, but still having the HPET issue. And the repair permission option in Disk Utility is greyed out nad not selectable. I read around the net that only partition with OS have the option selectable, therefore I think there is something wrong with the partions/installation of the OS. I'll try formatting and do the whole thing from the beginning, and see what happens. ;)

Bye

hey peach the disk I ordered it's a 32mb cache 500gb but I don't remember the brand...

uhm all the brands work or there is a specific brand that works better??? because I don't think that mine will be a western digital hd.

thanks man

afaik there is only this seagate with 500GB and 32MB cache. it´s good to have fast disks to put the samples on - everything else is cool but luxury.

from my experiences i recommend the WD AAKS drives - very fast with osx for a real good price.

there are not any reasons that those kexts should brake your install - anyway I suggest that you should de-install the kexts step by step to find the problem. is it possible that you deleted the strings for your graphics in the same step?

Well they did brake my install though the should not if installed correctly (wich I did) and if they are working ok. So there is something wrong with them or like I wrote in another reply they just don´t work with retail 10.5.5.

Specailly the SMBIOSResolver.kext alone brakes the install instantly after kexthelper finnish the installation. I´ve tested that two times with same result.

I believe non of these kexts have anything to do with graphics and to get up running again I made no modifications what so ever to anything even remotely connected to grahics/video. I just reinstalled my old kexts that`s it.

I suggest you take a close look at your guide cause if I´m not wrong I´m not the only one that had problems.

I´ve built two quadcore hacks for myself, both running retail Leo, I hade an old P4 I installed retail Leo on. I also have a rig built on the Intel mobo D945GCLF. I´ve managed to make all of them run as good as a hack possibly can so even if I´m no hightech computer magizian I believe I know a little bit about it anayway.

Also the plist for 7300gs 256mb included in the EFIStudio does not work. It makes you loose QE and QGL and changes the order of the ports so you get VGA as your first port. If you have just one monitor with DVI this could make you believe there´s something strange going on with your videocard since the desktop is on the VGA and you cant see it (without tweaking around with things). If your new to this that would be really confusing, you`d probably give up or end up with endless hours of searching here.

I can´t reproduce this error with smbiosresover.kext . I´ve tried it here on three different machines, all running 10.5.5. anyway - it´s only cosmetics :wink2:

yes - I ´ve experienced similar issues using the strings from EFI studio, but it works for the 7300GT with one screen. if anybody is using two screens - I could upload an nvinject.kext with corrected NVCAP for the 7300GT.

I had a lot of pm´s in the background and helped solving problems. my conclusion is that many of them did essential mistakes like using MBR instead of GUID, installing multiple partitions on one disk and so on..............

there was only one guy till now who followed the guide as it is and didn´t have any problems :)

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I solved part of the problem. It didn't boot because after making the HD as a GUID with one partition, the "Enable Owners" line was set to NO. Once switching it to YES, I coud then boot and verify/repair permissions.

I found out how to do so here:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums.../m/496008529831.

You might want to add this note in the beginning of the guide. I have no idea why it happens though.

Bye

At this stage it seemed to work OK but the "About this Mac" did´nt work so I decided to have another go with the SMBIOSResolver.kext. The same second that kexthelper had finnished the installation it paniced again and totally locked the computer up. I had to force shut it down just like the way happend the first time I tried these kexts. I once again hooked it up to my other hack and deleted the SMBIOSResolver.kext reconnected it and then I was able to boot up again.

Same thing happened to me too. I installed the text one by one and restarted. Everything was fine until SMBIOSResolver. Right after install the OS panicked. I didn't have to change boot though. For some reason the OS restarted and the kext doesn't result as installed.

Any Idea?

b0 error... I got it, too.

Hi Steve, could you explain how you get things done? I got the same error and tried everything i Found on the board to fix it:

execute Fdisk by Terminal

install EFi by Terminal

Boot from CD, open Terminal and select another Start-up-Disk

nothin helped....

EDIT: Got it: Retail started with Kaly 10.5.2 in DVD-Drive... I will follow the Guide

I have done this:

quote:

openhaltrestart.kext ( enables restart and shutdown – thanks to psystar)

HDAenabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext (patch for ALC889 audio)

AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext (patch to recognize the ich10R)

IOStorageFamily.kext (patch to get rid of the orange icons)

SMBIOResolver.kext (corrects the informations in systemprofiler)

type your password and click on “install kexts” - reboot

and received the b0 error again... I need an idea, please!

tonight I started building a new machine with the same hardware. after setting the disk active and applying fdisk with OSx86 tools I had the same boot0 error like you guys.so I decided to go through step by step - the solution was to apply it manually. this worked like a charm. a couple of hours I tried also by trial and error to sort if it could be a hardware setting that´s different or something similar - no

here the manual instructions

download EFI from here

copy pc_efi_v80 to the root of LeoX

open terminal and write

diskutil list (this will list the disks and partitions)

diskutil unmount diskXsY

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (choose MacHD X= number of disk)

update

f y (y=number of partition,don´t choose EFI - usually it´s 2)

w (means write)

q (means quit)

diskutil list (check the name of LeoX)

cd /Volumes/LeoX/pc_efi_v8

diskutil unmount diskXsy (define the correct disk)

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

ok..........that´s for now - will get back with the other solutions tomorrow

WooHooo - I finally got retail -> 10.5.5 combo updater running without a hitch... I used Lenboard's script and all the kexts expect the audio, I used indraganzo's 1.5.7a24_3outs_2ins_BackPanel.zip kext for my 889a.. a few EFI strings and I am in business. I really want to thank everyone (Peach-os!!) for helping me out too... If anyone has problems with the same board as I have, PM me.

Same thing happened to me too. I installed the text one by one and restarted. Everything was fine until SMBIOSResolver. Right after install the OS panicked. I didn't have to change boot though. For some reason the OS restarted and the kext doesn't result as installed.

Any Idea?

Man that´s good you where lucky my did´nt start up at all. While I had the EP45 harddrive connected to my other hack reinstalling my old kexts I accidently booted it up with the EP45 drive and I got the same panic on this one to. On this hack I´m running retail Leo 101.5.4 so it can´t be that it just does´nt pair with 10.5.5.

ok guys - I went again through the whole procedure and made some things more proof.

there was one mistake that I did: the smbiosresolver.kext shouldn´t be installed from the very beginning. it´s only compatible with the Vanilla AppleSMBIOS 10.5.2 and higher.

starobrno - that means that your AppleSMBIOS is not Vanilla or older than 10.5.2

PeachOS - your thoroughness is appreciated ^_^

I decided I didn't want to waste time on disks that would probably be slow so I sold the seagates and ordered some WD AAKS drives. I'm going to be using this as a DAW so I don't want to compromise on things like HD speed.

I'm gonna get one of the Asus gfx cards as well. Guess I'll have to live without 2x DVI out.

One question for you though PeachOS - your sig says you're running 3 monitors from 2x Geforce 7300GTs - how are you doing this? I thought that OSX doesn't support analog VGA?

PeachOS - your thoroughness is appreciated :D

I decided I didn't want to waste time on disks that would probably be slow so I sold the seagates and ordered some WD AAKS drives. I'm going to be using this as a DAW so I don't want to compromise on things like HD speed.

I'm gonna get one of the Asus gfx cards as well. Guess I'll have to live without 2x DVI out.

One question for you though PeachOS - your sig says you're running 3 monitors from 2x Geforce 7300GTs - how are you doing this? I thought that OSX doesn't support analog VGA?

it works even with four monitors ^_^

read more about here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=742502

that OSX doesn´t support VGA is a rumour

Groovy dude, very interesting indeed :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. Still waiting for a few parts, should be building this weekend or the next. Hopefully I'll be back with a success story and not more questions ;)

ok guys - I went again through the whole procedure and made some things more proof.

there was one mistake that I did: the smbiosresolver.kext shouldn´t be installed from the very beginning. it´s only compatible with the Vanilla AppleSMBIOS 10.5.2 and higher.

starobrno - that means that your AppleSMBIOS is not Vanilla or older than 10.5.2

Yeah I believe your right if I´m not wrong it´s chameleon for both my hacks, but they run on retail 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. I´m not sure but I think both AppleSMBIOS and Vanilla gets replaced when you´re using chameleon though.

Good you figured it out cause we really need a guide for these boards cause they are damn good and every little extra we can squeze out of them is really cool. Keep up the good work man

PeachOS - your thoroughness is appreciated :)

about this post...I asked and my hard disk will be a seagate/maxtor.... this fact that they are slow....I mean how much slow? let me know please peach because if they are really really slow I'll get em changed.

Thanks!

/32 mb cache sata II/

about this post...I asked and my hard disk will be a seagate/maxtor.... this fact that they are slow....I mean how much slow? let me know please peach because if they are really really slow I'll get em changed.

Thanks!

/32 mb cache sata II/

in xbench the 250GB/32MB cache seagate I tested, had a bench of 48 mb/s (read) - the WD AAKS 250GB has 102 mb/s.

xbench is not known as an accurate bench tool - but this difference is really big.

my softraid with two of these WD disks has a speed of 214 mb/s