DAW - based on GA-EP45 incl. hardware list

peach-os

224 posts in this topic

Hi peach!

After installation of Leopard and tweaking my system I realize that this hackintosh for DAW is really cool!!

I've overclocked processor to 3.4GHz and now all runs very fast and stable!

With Xbench I get 350 without disk and 290 with disk!

All is working!

Thank for your help, if I can contribute with my experience on creating hackintosh DAW i will do!

In the next days I will write a guide to install flawlessy nVidia 9600 GT under Leopard 10.5.6!

Ciao!

in the guide I wrote that you should not install the smbiosenabler.kext before you didn´t update to 10.5.2 .

maybe that´s the mistake you did

I was careful to only install the 7 kext files you had indicated in your guide. I'll have to figure out how to remove those kext files and try again in a more incremental fashion.

I was careful to only install the 7 kext files you had indicated in your guide. I'll have to figure out how to remove those kext files and try again in a more incremental fashion.

that´s very easy for you: boot into LeoX, go to MacHD/System/Library/Extensions and remove the kexts.

at least now you should know what the second install is for :)

now you should know what the second install is for :(

Is that all there is to it? If I simply remove all 7 I installed, I'll be back to the initial state?

I certainly see the advantage of the other install - much better method than I had previously. Once I figure out which was the offending kext file, I'll pass the info along.

Is that all there is to it? If I simply remove all 7 I installed, I'll be back to the initial state?

I certainly see the advantage of the other install - much better method than I had previously. Once I figure out which was the offending kext file, I'll pass the info along.

yes - that´s all: back to the initial state. after that you could install one after the other to see which one is causing the trouble.

yes - that´s all: back to the initial state. after that you could install one after the other to see which one is causing the trouble.

Following your advice to install one at a time, i found that it was the AppleAHCIPort.kext which caused the biggest problem. Not only did I get a kernel panic when I installed it but then I had some "still waiting..." error on boot. I restored to the old one thanks to your method of a second install.

Of note, I did not follow your advice on one point: after the first install, f-disk, chameleon and removal of the two offensive kexts, I used the comboupdate to 10.5.6. No booting into the new installation first, no kext installs, just jumped right in. This re-installed the two offending kexts so I took them out again. Rebotted and ... worked like a charm. That's when I did the one-by-one install of the kexts (actually using the kext files from the board specifically for my MB). I used UInstaller to update the video card string (works perfectly) and the time machine fix.

I'm just installing the rest of the software updates now but don't expect too many issues with them (famous last words!). I'm not necessarily advocating my hybrid method over your well-tested approach but I did want to share my experience and extend my thanks for your help.

Now I just need to see what that AppleAHCIPort.kext does...

Thank you again.

the compability of the kexts is changing. if you install these kexts not before updating (exception smbiosenabler with 10.5.2) something like this could happen.

you need the original AHCIPort.kext from the 10.5.6 update.

I will upload some 10.5.6 files the next days.

the compability of the kexts is changing. if you install these kexts not before updating (exception smbiosenabler with 10.5.2) something like this could happen.

you need the original AHCIPort.kext from the 10.5.6 update.

I will upload some 10.5.6 files the next days.

Because I used kexthelper to install each kext while booted onto the retail hard drive, I believe a back up was made (I found it in an appropriately named backup folder). Using the combo updater to 10.5.6 from Kalyway right after installing the retail DVD, I guess I already had the 10.5.6 version of AppleAHCIPort.kext. When I subsequently "updated" this kext using the file from the EP45-UD3R thread, I got the panic. Booting back into kaly and re-installing the backed up Kext worked. This is all to say that if I understand things (and I certainly don't claim to) the current version I have installed should be the 10.5.6 version.

How would I know if I need to update this kext? What 'symptom' is this fixing?

I hope this isn't pushing the thread "off-topic" in that I didn't follow your guide completly...

Thanks

yes, that´s going a little bit off topic - but I have a little bit time to explain it.

the AHCIPort.kext includes the AHCI ports identifiers. if you use the modded kext it will recognize the ICH10, which is on the GA-EP45. using this kext your system profiler looks like this:

post-120974-1234537544_thumb.png

if you use the original vanilla you will see only generic ahci ports.

to change this is only cosmetics - but it´s fun :P

make copies of both AHCIPort.kexts. rightklick on the kext and choose "show package contents".go to contents and open the info.plist with texteditor. compare the original and the modded plist, and you will know what you have to do to make the 10.5.6 kext also show the ICH10 port - it´self explaining.

for editing gfx plists you should use something like "plistedit pro", but in this case texteditor does the job.copy only the parts you need - not the whole text or plist! take care about every single sign in the plist!

after you changing the plist, install your modded original kext with kexthelper.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody experienced problems after updating to 10.5.6. In my case it seems my second videocard kind of slows down if I have more than one safari window open on the display connected to it (I have 1 display connected to that card and 2 displays to the other). The action of the scrollwheel on the mouse (ps2) and also leftklicking and drag up or down on the slider (to get down or up on the page) is really delayed.

Also in Logic I have had a kind of strange problem, last time I tweaked around with Spacedesigner it acted a bit strange. Had it loaded on a bus and after a few tweaks it kind of died (Spacediesigner).

I have also had a few kernelpanics the last months specially when I shut down the computer.

I´ve updated using LTLs method but I guess every guide here uses just about the same kexts and stuff.

yes, that´s going a little bit off topic - but I have a little bit time to explain it.

the AHCIPort.kext includes the AHCI ports identifiers. if you use the modded kext it will recognize the ICH10, which is on the GA-EP45. using this kext your system profiler looks like this:

post-120974-1234537544_thumb.png

if you use the original vanilla you will see only generic ahci ports.

to change this is only cosmetics - but it´s fun :happymac:

make copies of both AHCIPort.kexts. rightklick on the kext and choose "show package contents".go to contents and open the info.plist with texteditor. compare the original and the modded plist, and you will know what you have to do to make the 10.5.6 kext also show the ICH10 port - it´self explaining.

for editing gfx plists you should use something like "plistedit pro", but in this case texteditor does the job.copy only the parts you need - not the whole text or plist! take care about every single sign in the plist!

after you changing the plist, install your modded original kext with kexthelper.

If you are using the Extra method to fix this you can use legacy kexts from netkas http://netkas.org/?p=80 for your extensions.mkext in Extra folder.

This way you do not touch the binary of your kexts therefore you can update without having to change anything.

I personally use legacy kexts for Audio only overriding the HDAController and HDAplatform kexts not touching AppleHDA at all.....

so when ever I update no worries :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

thanks a lot lot for your tuto ( sorry for my english) but i have a problem in my first boot on "MacHD" i've got this message:

"joans-ep45-ds3l mDNSresponder[34]couldn' read user-specified computer name;using default bDevice001FD097486eb instead

joans-ep45-ds3l mDNSresponder[34]couldn' read user-specified localhostname using default bDevice001FD097480.localb instead"

i don't have an acount in this partition...why?

Thanks

if you read some posts about you will realize that this is a problem that could be caused by so many things. myself never had this problem and my crystal ball is broken :(

please use the search engine that I recommended and you will find a lot of possible solutions. first of all I would try to check if the bios is up to date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you have two pcie videocards and the GA EP45-DS3 mobo and you´re having problems try to change your bios settings in the M.I.T. Robust Graphics Settings to fast. I found out if I set it to auto the computer does´nt boot up and if I set it to turbo I get some strange mouse lag on (in my case) the display I have connected to my first/top video card.

• 1 month later...
Hi peach,

I found a little issue using Retail. Something in international settings is missing.

If you have time check this link and see if you know what's going on.

Thanks mate.

I don´t have this problem on both retail installs. therefore I believe it has to be in some connection with other apps and kexts you have installed. could be also preferences issue. did you read this ? :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108405

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First and foremost, thanks for the Tutorial! I'm posting this from my shiny new DAW! I built it into a 19" unit, mmmmmhhh ;)

The Installation was, well, ok. I mean it's up and running now. I had a Problem with installing pc efi on a GUID partition. Don't ask why, the third time I installed the thing it worked nicely, could be due to the fact that I had the old 80gb sata formatted as MBR.

For the moment, I have two problems remaining: first is wi-fi. The netgear wpn311 does not seem to work, I tried several variations on the Athros-tut. There is an alternative worth 20 euros: The Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G45S has been reported to work oob. So that's kind of sorted.

The second isssue is the Retail Install. I had some weird single layer image. Supposingly it's 10.5.6. However 'about this mac' states only 10.5 and has the Q6600 recognized as '4 Ghz Unknown'. Thinking SMBIOSResolver.kext would fix it, it smashed the whole system. Dress rehearsal for the Backup-solution which worked perfectly. How could I get the Systemprofiler working and find out which version ist actually installed? I could start with combo-update 10.5.2 anyway, but maybe that isn't the best idea.