DAW - based on GA-EP45 incl. hardware list

peach-os

224 posts in this topic

First and foremost, thanks for the Tutorial! I'm posting this from my shiny new DAW! I built it into a 19" unit, mmmmmhhh :)

The Installation was, well, ok. I mean it's up and running now. I had a Problem with installing pc efi on a GUID partition. Don't ask why, the third time I installed the thing it worked nicely, could be due to the fact that I had the old 80gb sata formatted as MBR.

For the moment, I have two problems remaining: first is wi-fi. The netgear wpn311 does not seem to work, I tried several variations on the Athros-tut. There is an alternative worth 20 euros: The Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G45S has been reported to work oob. So that's kind of sorted.

The second isssue is the Retail Install. I had some weird single layer image. Supposingly it's 10.5.6. However 'about this mac' states only 10.5 and has the Q6600 recognized as '4 Ghz Unknown'. Thinking SMBIOSResolver.kext would fix it, it smashed the whole system. Dress rehearsal for the Backup-solution which worked perfectly. How could I get the Systemprofiler working and find out which version ist actually installed? I could start with combo-update 10.5.2 anyway, but maybe that isn't the best idea.

I had weird problems installing the "single layer image" as well - take the original. you could use the new chameleon with the original smbios. with new chameleon you can change the profile in a plist file.

cool that the backup works for you ;)

• 3 months later...

I wrote a basic guide for Snow Leo in my first post.

very important informations for DAW users are

for a DAW I would suggest still to stay with 32 bit for better compability with au plugins.

if you are still using any pci cards for sound or UAD´s you should patch the dsdt.aml without the new hpet option - otherwise your pci cards won´t be recognized in the system.

UAD cards still don´t have a 64bit driver - therefore you should also set arch=i386 flag in your boot.plist to make them work.

now preparing for my next project: already bought an Asus Z8NA-D6 and a G5 case....... :)

• 4 months later...

Hi Peach, long time no see :)

I was taking a peek around the forum, to see how the Snow Leopard situation is coming along. By the way, I'm happy with 10.5 and I think I'll stick with it for some more time.

I'm having a small issue, though, and I was hoping you could give me a hint. I obviously checked around and if the issue has been treated in the thread already, I missed it.

Simply, I can't update from 10.5.7 to .8. I recovered a disk Image I made some time ago, when I installed the system fresh and updated it to .7. I downloaded the .8 update (not combo) and followed the usual steps (i even reinstalled some kexts) but I can't get to install the darn thing. I keep getting an error message after the installer says "configuring installation". I don't remember the exact words, but it's quite a general error message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks mate :)

are you installing from the other disk? I need to know where it stops exactly and the exact message . as far as I remember 10.5.8 was a really easy update without any issues......

Ok, I'll try asap and post here the message.

Anyway, I'm installing from an iDeneb installation from a usb drive that I use as failsafe, pretty much the same thing you mention in your guide. It simply is a USB drive. That is where i originally installed the retail version from, and all the updates up to .7 too.

I might even do the whole thing from the beginning, but the idea doesn't make me happy :(

Here I am.

Sorry for the delay, I've had some business to attend to.

I made a short video, so you can see what happens :)

In the meantime, I'll try to download the update again. It might be the file having some issues ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxfi2kkxkyw

never saw a similar problem except installing chameleon. the problem there have been the insufficient rights. click on your leo_home > apple+i and check the disk permissions. else I guess ideneb could be the problem, or the update dmg is damaged

never saw a similar problem except installing chameleon. the problem there have been the insufficient rights. click on your leo_home > apple+i and check the disk permissions. else I guess ideneb could be the problem, or the update dmg is damaged

Ok, I'll try.

I already tried to download the update again, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll let you know. This is a disk image restored using superduper. Something might have changed in the partition's options.

I tried to edit rights on the drive and fix permissions, but it doesn't work.

I guess I'll try to install the whole thing over :)

Thanks anyway.

P.S. I think the link to the kext package in the first page is broken, or it has been deleted from mediafire.

Hi!

After much reading and having a very willing attitude- I decided to dive in

I am a Pro Tools LE user, professional home project studio guy and I have just recently sold my old friend, my 2.7 dual G5.... I was beginning to see the light at the end of that tunnel as far as support goes, at least from plugins.

So anyhow, due to the fact that I have a bunch of small children, I don't need to spend the money on even a used Mac Pro if I can somehow get PT 8 to work on something I can put together for much less. I am pretty handy with stuff, so I am not scared of building a computer but I was just wondering if PTs LE 8 is known to work with this? and how about my favorite plugy, Waves SSL? I am currently running my whole show off my MacBook Pro that I just got so I have a pretty decent legit Mac, I guess my main worry is I have only used Macs for years and years and I dont know much about PCs and know less about windows except for the occasional live gig where I have to write a patch on an old laptop in Yamaha Studio Manager.

I will re read this thread but I was just wondering if you all had an opinion on this! I have the $900 bucks I sold my G5 for and maybe a couple of hundred more if I can unload a preamp- Is that enough loot?

Is the build list the same or has it been updated from the beginning of this?

I am greatly appreciative of the shared knowledge here!!!

first of all: the posted setup works like a real mac. each plugin that works on a real mac will work on this machine - even more. for example you could still use the UAD-1 pci versions (have two of them running), what is not possible on real macs without expensive hardware extensions, because of the lack of pci slots. I´m running a professional studio with two hackintosh´s........but this setup is meanwhile a kind of outdated. probably you should think about a 55 or 58 intel chip, but if you want to go the 100% easy and comfortable way, get these parts and follow the instructions. this machine would be still much more powerful than your old G5 :wacko:

Thanks! I will try to not be annoying and ask a bunch of dumb questions. I will only ask after a great deal of research to make sure that it is not painfully obvious- Thousand thanks!

I would like to build a machine similar to your Machine #2- If someone would be so kind as to post a list of what all I need to get started, I have about $750 dollars saved up. Or just point me to one that already exist here- If I can afford an I7 processor then I am game for it, but all I do is Pro Tools on this thing, is it necessary? Thanks in advance!

I have the GA EP45-DS3 mobo, Q6600 cpu, 8 gig memory two 7300 gs 512 mb videocards, 7200 Sata2 drives. I´m a Logic guy though but it should be the same. I´m on SL 10.6.2.

Recently I´ve gotten in to this webcasting thing. I have a few old hacks too based on the old Pentium 4 3 ghz cpu, I use one as "jukebox" run Logic on that one too. I route the master out from Logic in to my Q6600 computer (which has two soundcards one pci Delta 1010 and a FW *Safire Pro 10 i/o). I take the stereo from the jukebox comp in to my Delta 1010 in to Camtwist and the beta Flash Media Live Encoder from Adobe broadcast it to my justin tv channel. Sound is as good for my viewers as here back home in my headphones. I can even broadcast live recording from Logic or use Logic as a mixer and broadcast aqoustic Live gigs if I want.

So yes hackmacs works really good and you can use pci cards which you can´t with mac pros.

I´d go for an i7 setup though people report it´s so much powerful.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi peach.

Here I am with a new case for you to solve <_<

I have decided to tackle a problem I've been having for some time. I have a jumpy mouse: it seems to hang or lag when I'm using it, making it almost impossible to make precise movements. I've had the problem for quite some time, but decided to find a solution only lately. I looked around, and many people say it's about the nvidia kext. It actually seems true, because it starts when i use Nvinject to have my VGA working. I tried it on 10.5.6 and 10.5.8 and it keeps happening. Some say I should flash my VGA BIOS, others had me clear a kext that disabled some QuickTime services. The latter did work for the jumpy mouse, but screwed up quicktime and I couldn't work with After Effects or final cut anymore.

Then, I tried to hook up my Wacom Pen tablet, installing its drivers. And it seems to work fine.

To sum things up:

- standard USB mouse (tried both Logitech G3 and Roccat Kone) works fine until i use NVinject or NVkush;

- on iDeneb Distro 10.5.4 it works fine even with NVidia kexts;

- Wacom Pen Tablet works when properly installed;

- Did not have time and moral fiber to try every 10.5.x update and see if the mouse messes up with all of them;

I DO see that the Video Card seems to be the problem, but if the tablet works, there must be some kind of fight between the VGA kext and the standard peripherals kext, don't you think?

I'll let you work on this one, if you have the time and/or the will. It is not such a big deal since I can use my tablet: I just wanted to let you know.

Bye!

you have a 8800gt? right? there shouldn´t be any problems with it in Leo (might be your distro)

first delete the appleupstream.kext and try. if you have a dsdt.aml it could also be related to IRQ flags.

system2 is "exploited" at the moment - building it new.

will have a look if I can find the dsdt on some backup ^_^

the system had the good xbench after adding 4GB ram (8GB) a second video card and a softraid - overclocked

to 3200 Ghz with 9 x 356 instead of 8 x 400. each step gave a better xbench.........I doubt it´s reliable

the dsdt was compiled with koalala´s patcher without the new hpet option.

the uad cards didn´t work with this option properly.

• 4 months later...
system2 is "exploited" at the moment - building it new.

will have a look if I can find the dsdt on some backup :)

the system had the good xbench after adding 4GB ram (8GB) a second video card and a softraid - overclocked

to 3200 Ghz with 9 x 356 instead of 8 x 400. each step gave a better xbench.........I doubt it´s reliable

the dsdt was compiled with koalala´s patcher without the new hpet option.

the uad cards didn´t work with this option properly.

Hi guys,

I have a EP45-UD3L , with 3gb ram and a Geforce 7300GS 256MB. What would be the best method to install a OSX on it?  I don't mid f it's Leopard or Snow Leopard...  I just wanted the simplest to install....

Tks much in advance guys

Turnpike

Hi guys,

I have a EP45-UD3L , with 3gb ram and a Geforce 7300GS 256MB. What would be the best method to install a OSX on it?  I don't mid f it's Leopard or Snow Leopard...  I just wanted the simplest to install....

Tks much in advance guys

Turnpike

it´s still this one http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=940826 :)