Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

Not sure.....but you can temporarily boot after installing OS X with -v maxmem=2048 and then use Kext Helper b7 to install slashack's AppleNforceATA.kext v0.1 from here.....it will also keep the iDeneb v1.4 installed nForceATA.kext backed up......

Bitchin! I dont have the 8GB yet, that is on order :D . And I am pretty familiar with installing with KextHelper, did a hackintosh with the Acer Aspire one that is runnning smoothly and have familiarized myself with that enough now that I wanted to venture out with my gaming Rig. I appreciate all the help, and when I am free I am going to read the entire thread..

~Stephen

Asus P5N32-E Sli motherboard

Intel Core 2 duo E6850

Nvidia 8600GT graphics card

2gb of ram

can't install OS X, i have tried about ten times using dvd based installs but i always get stuck. thought i would try this since i found instructions for someone with a similar board as mine and they had success. link for the tutorial i found is http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/ma...ta-release.html

please help!!! im a noob at doing this type of stuff. thanks. Farthest i have been able to get is the install on hard drive. i choose to erase and format as extended journaled and then i get a message saying cannot install on it and it asks me to restart. i can only get there if i type in -x in the command prompt.

please help!!! im a noob at doing this type of stuff. thanks. Farthest i have been able to get is the install on hard drive. i choose to erase and format as extended journaled and then i get a message saying cannot install on it and it asks me to restart. i can only get there if i type in -x in the command prompt.

Do you have a HDD to use just for OS X? Or, is it a new volume on a Windows system HDD?

Is the HDD a SATA or PATA (IDE) drive? How many HDDs?

Have you set up your BIOS according to recommended settings in post #1 here?

Is your DVDRW a SATA or PATA (IDE) drive?

How much VRAM on your video card?

Do you have a HDD to use just for OS X? Or, is it a new volume on a Windows system HDD?

Is the HDD a SATA or PATA (IDE) drive? How many HDDs?

Have you set up your BIOS according to recommended settings in post #1 here?

Is your DVDRW a SATA or PATA (IDE) drive?

How much VRAM on your video card?

yeah i have an HDD separate for OS X. currently running XP. Im trying to make a dual boot. BIOS is set up accordingly and everything is attached via SATA. no IDE drives. the VRAM is 512 mb.

yeah i have an HDD separate for OS X. currently running XP. Im trying to make a dual boot. BIOS is set up accordingly and everything is attached via SATA. no IDE drives. the VRAM is 512 mb.

Partition/format your OS X HDD as Master Boot Record/mac OS Extended (Journaled) into at least a Main and Backup Volume of equal size.....

BUT if you can spare the space, allow 10GB for a OSX Boot Volume at the start of the HDD (choose a name without spaces e.g. Leopard_Boot or OS_X_Boot etc) with ONLY a basic fully working OS X install from your chosen OS X Install DVD (which enables you to use its Disk Utility functions on the other OS X volumes), together with:

Kext Helper b7

OSx86Tools

PC EFI v9 Chameleon Bootloader Installer

Chameleon 2.0RC1 Bootloader Installer

and any other Utiliy software you find very useful for OS X system installation/maintenance/repair etc., to enable you to modify/test OS X updates on the Main and Backup OS X volumes without ever risking not being able to boot into OS X on this HDD.......

What distros do you have available to try.....?

Partition/format your OS X HDD as Master Boot Record/mac OS Extended (Journaled) into at least a Main and Backup Volume of equal size.....

BUT if you can spare the space, allow 10GB for a OSX Boot Volume at the start of the HDD (choose a name without spaces e.g. Leopard_Boot or OS_X_Boot etc) with ONLY a basic fully working OS X install from your chosen OS X Install DVD (which enables you to use its Disk Utility functions on the other OS X volumes), together with:

Kext Helper b7

OSx86Tools

PC EFI v9 Chameleon Bootloader Installer

Chameleon 2.0RC1 Bootloader Installer

and any other Utiliy software you find very useful for OS X system installation/maintenance/repair etc., to enable you to modify/test OS X updates on the Main and Backup OS X volumes without ever risking not being able to boot into OS X on this HDD.......

What distros do you have available to try.....?

sorry but im not quite sure what distros are. i just tried using the md hash 5 of OSx86 from PCwiz but it didn't get to the select language. it loaded but didn't seem to get very far.

sorry but im not quite sure what distros are. i just tried using the md hash 5 of OSx86 from PCwiz but it didn't get to the select language. it loaded but didn't seem to get very far.

Sorry.....by distros I mean which versions of OS X Install DVD have you got....

Sorry.....by distros I mean which versions of OS X Install DVD have you got....

i have the PCwiz one from the link from before that i later found out was your tutorial, then i have just downloaded the kalyway 10.5.2, and i had another one but i deleted it.

i have the PCwiz one from the link from before that i later found out was your tutorial, then i have just downloaded the kalyway 10.5.2, and i had another one but i deleted it.

Try Kalyway 10.5.2 if you have it on DVD as follows:

1. Boot from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes)

3. Once the Kalyway OS X Installer has loaded, use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your HDD into more than one volume as suggested, select the first volume to install to, otherwise just select the internal or external HDD volume.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Additional Fonts (Choose to suit your requirements)

Language Translations (Choose to suit your requirements)

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep Y (Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep N

kernel_922_kabyl N

kernel_922_modin N

kernel_92_nforce N

kernel_vanilla_92 N

Graphics _Drivers - None

Audio_Drivers - None

Networks_ Drivers - None

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications – Choose to suit your requirements

(I suggest kextHelperB7, pacifist, perian, ppfomatic, stuffitExpander, textmate, vlc)

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS Default choice i.e. Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag N

PCGenUSB_Fix N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout N

TimeMachineFix Y

PowerManagement_bundle N

Intel Memory Controller N

AMD_1052_Patches Default N (Default choice)

6. Double check your "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins you may choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the Internal HDD......

I'd love some help installing OS X on my rig. I've tried iDeneb v 1.4 (10.5.6) and have had some partial success, but can't get it perfect. so I'm about to start using Kalyway 10.5.2 and updating using the combo update to 10.5.5. I'd love some tips on the chipsel/kernal/fix options to get this up and running.

My hardware:

PSU: 600W

MOBO: XFX nForce 680i lt

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.15ghz

GPU: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X800 XL

RAM: 8gb OCZ 800mhz PC6400

HDD: 3 HD's, all SATA, all recognized perfectly by iDeneb distro... no worries.

OPD: 2 Disk drives, master/slave IDE, all recognized perfectly by iDeneb distro.. no worries.

I've tried counltess different kernal/fix/chipset combinations from my own intelligence, tips online, etc and cannot get one that won't cause kernal panics shortly after boot! Any advice would be grealty appreciated Thanks a ton!

danscrimale@gmail.com

I'd love some help installing OS X on my rig. I've tried iDeneb v 1.4 (10.5.6) and have had some partial success, but can't get it perfect. so I'm about to start using Kalyway 10.5.2 and updating using the combo update to 10.5.5. I'd love some tips on the chipsel/kernal/fix options to get this up and running.

My hardware:

PSU: 600W

MOBO: XFX nForce 680i lt

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.15ghz

GPU: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X800 XL

RAM: 8gb OCZ 800mhz PC6400

HDD: 3 HD's, all SATA, all recognized perfectly by iDeneb distro... no worries.

OPD: 2 Disk drives, master/slave IDE, all recognized perfectly by iDeneb distro.. no worries.

I've tried counltess different kernal/fix/chipset combinations from my own intelligence, tips online, etc and cannot get one that won't cause kernal panics shortly after boot! Any advice would be grealty appreciated Thanks a ton!

danscrimale@gmail.com

First......check your BIOS settings against the ones recommended for OS X in post #1 in this thread......

Then for Kalyway 10.5.2 install do as follows:

1. Boot from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes)

3. Once the Kalyway OS X Installer has loaded, use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your HDD into more than one volume as suggested, select the first volume to install to, otherwise just select the internal or external HDD volume.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Additional Fonts (Choose to suit your requirements)

Language Translations (Choose to suit your requirements)

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep Y (Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep N

kernel_922_kabyl N

kernel_922_modin N

kernel_92_nforce N

kernel_vanilla_92 N

Graphics _Drivers - None

Audio_Drivers - None

Networks_ Drivers - None

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications – Choose to suit your requirements

(I suggest kextHelperB7, pacifist, perian, ppfomatic, stuffitExpander, textmate, vlc)

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS Default choice i.e. Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag N

PCGenUSB_Fix N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout N

TimeMachineFix Y

PowerManagement_bundle N

Intel Memory Controller N

AMD_1052_Patches Default N (Default choice)

6. Double check your "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins you may choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the Internal HDD......

Once you are running 10.5.2 OK, then go here to see how to update to 10.5.6 but I suggest that you set up OS X volumes as recommended in post #1.....

Post here for any questions about Kalyway install and in my other forum topic for updating questions.... :(

2 Quick Questions.... the first and hopefully easy... I have everything installed and running, could not get the boards ethernet working XFX 680i (not the LT), but remembered I had a PCI gigabit card that was os x compatible and woohoo it works. For some reason with the iDeneb 10.5.6 installer, I could not get into the OS without selecting a video driver. My screen would be blank. Now can I upgrade to using the CoreVidia kexts, with having the NVdarwin kets, installed?

And lastly, could be a heat issue with the case... but after about say an hour or so of use, I start getting errors and freezes with regards to disk access. I have been moving some large files between my G5 and my new HackPro, but after successfully transferring some files, it will almost pause on any amount being transferred. Now if I just use the computer I can use it for hours flawlessly. But once there is hardcore disk access and it gets hots, I mean pretty hot! it almost seems as if the drive shuts off to be cool, any thoughts?

Thanks,

~Stephen

Update...

OK I lied, 2 more questions.. Is it possible to use the vanilla kernel and still use 2 CPUS, or is Voodoo Better?, and it seems that the heat issue is not a problem, but when making multiple accesses to the disk. I was verifying a disk image, copying a file, and trying to open a folder, and it just seemed to freeze, could control the mouse, but nothing would react...

2 Quick Questions.... the first and hopefully easy... I have everything installed and running, could not get the boards ethernet working XFX 680i (not the LT), but remembered I had a PCI gigabit card that was os x compatible and woohoo it works. For some reason with the iDeneb 10.5.6 installer, I could not get into the OS without selecting a video driver. My screen would be blank. Now can I upgrade to using the CoreVidia kexts, with having the NVdarwin kets, installed?

And lastly, could be a heat issue with the case... but after about say an hour or so of use, I start getting errors and freezes with regards to disk access. I have been moving some large files between my G5 and my new HackPro, but after successfully transferring some files, it will almost pause on any amount being transferred. Now if I just use the computer I can use it for hours flawlessly. But once there is hardcore disk access and it gets hots, I mean pretty hot! it almost seems as if the drive shuts off to be cool, any thoughts?

Thanks,

~Stephen

Update...

OK I lied, 2 more questions.. Is it possible to use the vanilla kernel and still use 2 CPUS, or is Voodoo Better?, and it seems that the heat issue is not a problem, but when making multiple accesses to the disk. I was verifying a disk image, copying a file, and trying to open a folder, and it just seemed to freeze, could control the mouse, but nothing would react...

Answering in reverse order:

As I mention in my first post......Voodoo rather than vanilla kernel seems to work best on Series 6 nForce chipset MOBOs.....I tried the vanilla kernel on my 650i but it was not stable.....

What chipset is your PCI gigabit card......if RTL8169 it is good to go with Psystar R1000.kext......although I would expect eno's nForceLAN kext to work......

If you have latest iTunes and QT7.6 installed then rename AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.bad.....

And importantly did you take note of the following from post #1....

If you have nVidia GFX card on an nForce chipset MOBO, it is even more important to fix the NVD* and GeF* drivers......

The solution is to add these 2 lines of code (if found to be missing)

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

before this code:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

in the NVD*.kexts and

before this code

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

in the GeForce.kext (see list below)

=============

GeForce.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV10Hal.kext

=============

in the Info.plist file of each of the above kexts.

To get to Info.plist file in each kext:

1. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions

2. Find each kext one at a time, then right-click on kext icon, choosing "Show Package Contents", then open Contents folder to find Info.plist.

3. Open Info.plist file via Terminal using sudo nano etc., or right-click, choosing "Open With", and selecting your preferred Text Editor app; e.g.Text Edit, TextMate, TextWrangler, Property List Editor, or PlistEdit Pro etc.

4. Make changes to Info.plist and save modified file.

Furthermore, Mysticus C* and myself, working together, recently isolated the origin of the frequent freezing during OS X system updates employing Apple MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.x.pkg Installers on nForce chipset MOBOs and/or MOBOs with nVidia graphics card(s) fitted....see the section "FOR SERIOUS STUDENTS OF OS X on a x86 PC SYSTEM" in my write-up here......

The problem arises because nVidia graphics kexts do not have an internal check process to see whether they are loading for an nVidia graphics card or not, which means that they can/may load for any nVidia/nForce chipset device in the MOBO/system with a IOPCIClassMatch listing nVidia as vendor....

Try installing CoreVidia and then booting with -v -x .......if you have both NVdarwin.kext and CoreVidia.kext present.....then just rename NVdarwin.kext as NVdarwin.kext.back.....

@ Verdant

Wow! you guys really know your $hit... Thankfully I should have some free time at work to read through the first post, and think about what I am going to do. The PCI Card I am using is by Rosewill, and it has out of the box OS X compatibility. When I brought up the network pane it automatically detected it, and I was online. I will have to tweak the .kext for the graphics card when I get home, must have blown past that. Have had no problems with any updates on the computer, it handled them very well, just the weird system halts with mass data transfers. The only options I choose during install (iDeneb v1.4) were, iDeneb system essentials, Voodoo Kernel 9.5.0, Applenforceata.kext, Apple Azalia Audio, NVDarwin 640mb for 8800GTS 640mb, seatbelt fix, and SMBIOS for DDR2 800. After install I upgrade to the slashhack modified nforceata to allow greater amounts of RAM, when it comes, and then I can do the system update. Should I format the drive a certain way when starting, such as GUID partition? or MBR?

@ Verdant

Wow! you guys really know your $hit... Thankfully I should have some free time at work to read through the first post, and think about what I am going to do. The PCI Card I am using is by Rosewill, and it has out of the box OS X compatibility. When I brought up the network pane it automatically detected it, and I was online. I will have to tweak the .kext for the graphics card when I get home, must have blown past that. Have had no problems with any updates on the computer, it handled them very well, just the weird system halts with mass data transfers. The only options I choose during install (iDeneb v1.4) were, iDeneb system essentials, Voodoo Kernel 9.5.0, Applenforceata.kext, Apple Azalia Audio, NVDarwin 640mb for 8800GTS 640mb, seatbelt fix, and SMBIOS for DDR2 800. After install I upgrade to the slashhack modified nforceata to allow greater amounts of RAM, when it comes, and then I can do the system update. Should I format the drive a certain way when starting, such as GUID partition? or MBR?

Unless you have a specific reason such as in the future wishing to resize your OS X volumes use MBR otherwise GPT.......but IMHO most people have fewer issues with MBR than GPT......EFI uses GPT whereas BIOS uses MBR, and so MBR is on balance more multi-boot friendly on PCs.......although Chameleon 2.0RC1 is a big step forward.......

Unless you have a specific reason such as in the future wishing to resize your OS X volumes use MBR otherwise GPT.......but IMHO most people have fewer issues with MBR than GPT......EFI uses GPT whereas BIOS uses MBR, and so MBR is on balance more multi-boot friendly on PCs.......although Chameleon 2.0RC1 is a big step forward.......

That is what I was thinking. I currently have it set as GPT, (I am assuming the same as GUID) and not MBR. That is probably why I could not setup the Raid, and I am running Chameleon 2.0 RC1. I will have to try MBR and see what happens, and see if I can finally get that raid online and hopefully stop the disk freezes. Thanks for the heads up, and looks like I have some fun planned tonight...

~Stephen

That is what I was thinking. I currently have it set as GPT, (I am assuming the same as GUID) and not MBR. That is probably why I could not setup the Raid, and I am running Chameleon 2.0 RC1. I will have to try MBR and see what happens, and see if I can finally get that raid online and hopefully stop the disk freezes. Thanks for the heads up, and looks like I have some fun planned tonight...

~Stephen

Yes GPT is the same as GUID as GPT stands for GUID Partition Table......see here for an example of the issues with GUID for the unwary......

BTW for resizing volumes I use iPartition....

Hi everyone been doing some other things for now. (typing tests)

I really want to get mac osx running is there any way i could convert a .bin to a .rom ????

I would donate but i dnt have a credit card

I remember i got it running once then it died

could i try a bios update then use CPUS=1 ????

Thanks

Alex

Hi everyone been doing some other things for now. (typing tests)

I really want to get mac osx running is there any way i could convert a .bin to a .rom ????

I would donate but i dnt have a credit card

I remember i got it running once then it died

could i try a bios update then use CPUS=1 ????

Thanks

Alex

Remind me.......Are you currently able to boot and run OS X with cpus=1? If so, have you tried fassl's DSDT patcher to compile a DSDT.aml file for your system so that you may not have to flash the BIOS?

I am pretty sure you can just rename file from "Finename.bin" to Filename.rom"......but do not quote me on this......

No this is just getting it too boot

i would change it but OWN is now asking for people to pay for a modded bios which i can't because i dont have a credit card

I will get a usb keybroad soon

I take it that you do not have a PayPal account then to use instead of a credt/debit card....?

Could you try this approach to generate a DSDT.aml file.....?

Here is a quick question or two, I am waiting on an IDE DVD drive to arrive to me in the mail, and I have been trying to run the install from a hard drive that has the iDeneb v1.4 image restored to it, as well as loading chameleon 2.0RC1 for booting. Will this present any problems during install? and for some reason I cannot get the drives to be formatted in MBR with HFS+. When I format in MBR I have to set it to fat 32, then when I try to setup the raid it changes it to GPT. Any thoughts?

~Stephen

Here is a quick question or two, I am waiting on an IDE DVD drive to arrive to me in the mail, and I have been trying to run the install from a hard drive that has the iDeneb v1.4 image restored to it, as well as loading chameleon 2.0RC1 for booting. Will this present any problems during install? and for some reason I cannot get the drives to be formatted in MBR with HFS+. When I format in MBR I have to set it to fat 32, then when I try to setup the raid it changes it to GPT. Any thoughts?

~Stephen

Not sure I fully understand.......were you able to partition/format each 750GB HDD as MBR/HFS+ using the Partition tab in Disk Utility.....and then use the RAID tab in Disk Utility to select the two HDDS and set up the Apple Software RAID as you want....?

Not sure I fully understand.......were you able to partition/format each 750GB HDD as MBR/HFS+ using the Partition tab in Disk Utility.....and then use the RAID tab in Disk Utility to select the two HDDS and set up the Apple Software RAID as you want....?

I can get the Drives partitioned for MBR, but only in Fat32, if I select any type of Mac format, i.e. HFS, it kicks back an error. This happens whether I format the drives with my G5, or even the test drive I am using on my hackpro. I can get the disks to be seen as MBR with Fat32, but when I go to create the raid in disk utility, it changes it to GPT with MacOS Extended (journaled).

I can get the Drives partitioned for MBR, but only in Fat32, if I select any type of Mac format, i.e. HFS, it kicks back an error. This happens whether I format the drives with my G5, or even the test drive I am using on my hackpro. I can get the disks to be seen as MBR with Fat32, but when I go to create the raid in disk utility, it changes it to GPT with MacOS Extended (journaled).

For a single HDD this is strange as I can choose Options in the Partition tab window and choose Master Boot Record before formatting the volume partition(s) as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).....

However, I believe that GPT is the Apple hard drive partitioning standard format for Apple software RAID....just confirmed by this Apple Developer document....