Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

Try the following since the 9.2.0 kernel may well be working OK.....

After rebooting by typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, hopefully resulting in a visible and successful booting into the OS X Welcome screen......

I did this, it said it was booting to the login screen or something, then it just goes to the blank screen again.

:rolleyes:

Hopefully, we can get this working soon.s

I did this, it said it was booting to the login screen or something, then it just goes to the blank screen again.

:)

Hopefully, we can get this working soon.s

Try the following:

1. Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the "boot:" prompt and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for ":/ root#" to re-appear.

2. Mount the file system by typing "mount -uw /" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

3. Change the root password by typing "passwd root" at the ":/ root#" prompt and then typing in a new root password and retyping it again as requested.

4. Create the .AppleSetupDone file by typing "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt

5. Boot the system by typing "exit" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

6. Reboot from HDD with "-v -f" and the OS X Login screen is presented; enter "root" as Name and for Password, the root password chosen previously, and the system logs you in as System Administrator.

I cant install from dvd since my thinkpad is out of commission. The good thing is that with the voodoo kernel i can get in via singleuser "-s" to the hard drive. Can you point to what kexts to remove, or change. Will I need the IOPCI strings changed even if i don't have any nvidia graphics cards? I think i'm in the same scenario as @pocker09 with Applet started but no gui coming up (though a lot of reading from the harddrive)... pointers anyone?

You should be able to run without any video drivers.......please get a snapshot of what happens on the boot screen.....also try without any APIC selections.....i.e. ACPIPlatform selections......

sorry for not writing so long...

i am not running the two 8800GTs. I am not sure what the problem was, but maybe my harddrive was not "Master Boot Record". now i will try to dualboot vista (installed on two 500GB SATA drives with RAID0) and my OSX (installed on one 250 GB SATA). but sure thats not the right place to discuss this! ;-)

edit: managed it by using easydcb 1.7.2 like you said ...weeks ago ;-) but is there anyway to read/write the raid0 drive from osx?! i dont think so.

For benefit of others:

For dual booting Vista and OS X on separate HDDs....should even work for a Vista RAID setup e.g. 2 x HDD in Raid 0 for Vista and 2 x HDD in Raid 1 for Vista, plus 1 x HDD for OS X.....

In EasyBCD, your BCD entry for OS X will be pointing not at the OS X HDD but at the OS X boot file location, i.e. Darwin EFI bootloader (which then points to the OS X system(s))......so, try:

1. Partition the OS X HDD as MBR and format (HFS+) the required OS X volumes on the HDD

2. Boot into Vista....go to EasyBCD.....then to Bootloader Management....and choose to "Reinstall Vista Bootloader"

3. Install the Darwin EFI bootloader/OS X setup

4. In EasyBCD add a new OS X entry

As for read/write the RAID0 Vista drive from osx.......

If you do not want the Vista RAIDed HDD icons trying to mount on the OS X desktop with error messages (other than Apple Software RAID, AFIK only hardware RAID is possible with OSx86, i.e. BIOS software RAID is not) saying the the RAIDed HDDs cannot be mounted, then right-click on the OS X HDD volume icon(s) and choose “Make Alias” for the volume(s)……then go to Finder > Preferences, and under “Show these items on the Dessktop”, uncheck “Hard disks”……the alias icons will remain on the Desktop (i.e. as shortcut(s) to the OS X HDD volume(s)), which you can rename to remove “alias” from the icon(s) name(s)……

Why not set up a shared FAT32 volume on OS X HDD that both Vista/OS X can read/write......only limitation is the ≤4GB file size......?

I cant install from dvd since my thinkpad is out of commission. The good thing is that with the voodoo kernel i can get in via singleuser "-s" to the hard drive. Can you point to what kexts to remove, or change. Will I need the IOPCI strings changed even if i don't have any nvidia graphics cards? I think i'm in the same scenario as @pocker09 with Applet started but no gui coming up (though a lot of reading from the harddrive)... pointers anyone?

Try procedures I suggested to pocker09.....

Sadly, that didn't work out.

What distro should i install and what settings should i use?

The distros i have are the following: iATKOS 5i, Kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb v1.4, and iPC (not sure). So i basically want to know what distro to install and which of the settings to use for my setup?

Sadly, that didn't work out.

What distro should i install and what settings should i use?

The distros i have are the following: iATKOS 5i, Kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb v1.4, and iPC (not sure). So i basically want to know what distro to install and which of the settings to use for my setup?

I would recommend Kalyway 10.5.2 to start with......it is a clean stable distro......to get OS X up and running.....which can then be updated to 10.5.6 using the Mysticus C* Updater (see here....), or iPC 10.5.6 Beta patched to PPF5, or Final patched with PPF v1.1......there are detailed install guides for both in my blog.......

No go here also after removing the nv*,ge* kexts.

FWIW, I noticed I get a reset without the sata dvdrw when it goes to gui before/after removing the kexts. I can go to the prompt with the sata dvdrw.

What's next, any advise except I can't reinstall from the dvdrw.

Try procedures I suggested to pocker09.....

No go here also after removing the nv*,ge* kexts.

FWIW, I noticed I get a reset without the sata dvdrw when it goes to gui before/after removing the kexts. I can go to the prompt with the sata dvdrw.

What's next, any advise except I can't reinstall from the dvdrw.

Please clarify what happens when you try to boot the OS X Install DVD from the SATA DVDRW?

I can never boot as it is waiting for root device forever

OK but has this always been the case?......if not, could BIOS settings have somehow been reverted to defaults on self-reboot.....?

I will PM you.....

Acording to this information your audio codec is IDT HDA codec......so you need to check out this IDT thread..........

vendor ID is 8384 and the device ID is 7645

You may need to get a Linux e.g. Ubuntu codec dump......if the IDT thread does not help you......

Boot your PC using a Ubuntu Live CD 8.10.....when you are in the Ubuntu Desktop, plug in a USB memory stick and create a new folder on it called Audio_Codec_Dump

go to Accessories > Terminal, and at the $ prompt type

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > '/media/Name of your USB Stick/Audio_Codec_Dump'/AudioCodec.text

Helloooooooo guysss, well i am here againnn, but this time i come to thank all you guys who helped me, specially you verdant for the great support, i`m so happy you don`t imagine (L)

well about my last problem, the audio thing i solutioned it by another way..........i downloaded Sound IDT 92HD206.zip and everything worked fine, the only thing is that i only have stereo sound, 5.1 and earphones doesn`t work, only the green plug works, but i will continue searching...

Ohhh yeah, i forgott the video drivers............well if you don`t reme,ber i have a geforce 7100/630i on onboard so i spend some money and buy a xfx geforce 8600 gt xxx 256 Mb, and obviosuly i reinstalled kalyway and i choose nVinject 256 from the list and everything is working soo well, i downloaded a lot of things and finished installing ilife 08 and my lovelyyy adobe master suite cs4 to keep on designing :blink:

i think that in a couple of days i am going to search somewhere how can i upgrade kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 so i have the last version :D

well thanks a lot again verdant, i will try to help the people with my problems if i can.

Helloooooooo guysss, well i am here againnn, but this time i come to thank all you guys who helped me, specially you verdant for the great support, i`m so happy you don`t imagine (L)

well about my last problem, the audio thing i solutioned it by another way..........i downloaded Sound IDT 92HD206.zip and everything worked fine, the only thing is that i only have stereo sound, 5.1 and earphones doesn`t work, only the green plug works, but i will continue searching...

Ohhh yeah, i forgott the video drivers............well if you don`t reme,ber i have a geforce 7100/630i on onboard so i spend some money and buy a xfx geforce 8600 gt xxx 256 Mb, and obviosuly i reinstalled kalyway and i choose nVinject 256 from the list and everything is working soo well, i downloaded a lot of things and finished installing ilife 08 and my lovelyyy adobe master suite cs4 to keep on designing :D

i think that in a couple of days i am going to search somewhere how can i upgrade kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 so i have the last version :D

well thanks a lot again verdant, i will try to help the people with my problems if i can.

Glad to help.....especially posters who carefully read post #1 in my nForce threads...... :)

Thanks for offering to help......you will be able to help users with a similar system to yours and by explaining the steps you followed to get a working system.....and thus save me time...... :blink:

I can help you with that too.....see here...where you will find me again, working with Mysticus C*......you cannot escape from me!...... :P

Please keep a backup of Sound IDT 92HD206.zip in case the original source disappears......

well now that i see well i don`t know if really my video drivers where installed correctly.............just in case i add a screenshot of it so you can check it up, i think that everything ok........ohhh i add the audio screen also...

Video

Audio

Yes if my understanding of Spanish is OK you have:

Graphics - ALL OK

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Audio - Not 100% OK

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Microphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

In audio you are missing at present

Line Out:

Have you checked that Sound window Output settings in System Preferences are correct......?

Yes if my understanding of Spanish is OK you have:

Graphics - ALL OK

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Audio - Not 100% OK

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Microphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

In audio you are missing at present

Line Out:

Have you checked that Sound window Output settings in System Preferences are correct......?

Hi disorden.

Glad to know that you now have your sound working fine. You told in earliers posts that you can´t work 5.1 channel. Well, if your sound hardware is installed nice and you have 3 pairs of channel, you´ll need to make a little scheme to make your 5.1 channel work that I can explain you later.

I had to do that on my system. :blink:

In my case I have to tell, that OS X system just uses the 5.1 channel if the source of the sound is 5.1. If I want to listen to some mp3 in iTunes, the system doesn´t recognizes as 5.1 and use only one pair of speakers to reproduce sound. :D

[]´s

@ disorden

Delta/Combo Updates for Intel CPUs on nForce Chipset Motherboards is now online again.... :D Choose NVdarwin in Post patch rather than in the nForce patch at the moment BUT you must choose nForce GFX Fix in nForce patch.....read my post #1 in the thread....... ;)

Hi disorden.

Glad to know that you now have your sound working fine. You told in earliers posts that you can´t work 5.1 channel. Well, if your sound hardware is installed nice and you have 3 pairs of channel, you´ll need to make a little scheme to make your 5.1 channel work that I can explain you later.

I had to do that on my system.

In my case I have to tell, that OS X system just uses the 5.1 channel if the source of the sound is 5.1. If I want to listen to some mp3 in iTunes, the system doesn´t recognizes as 5.1 and use only one pair of speakers to reproduce sound.

Hi breakingbad.

Well as you see yeah, i finally have sound, i was missing it so much :P

The only thing is that i can`t work 5.1 channel, i would appreciate if you explain me what i have to do in order to work it out...

*Verdant.... about what you said if I had checked that Sound window Output settings in System Preferences are correct....., well i don`t know really what you mean so i took a screenshot of the output just in case so you can take a look at it...

here it is

@ disorden

Delta/Combo Updates for Intel CPUs on nForce Chipset Motherboards is now online again.... Choose NVdarwin in Post patch rather than in the nForce patch at the moment BUT you must choose nForce GFX Fix in nForce patch.....read my post #1 in the thread.......

Now my dear verdant :P, after i read this i said.......well let`s take a look of what i need to upgrade kalyway........but then i just said. WOOOOW WOOOW WOWWW, it`s too much for me :P I`m a newbie so i fell kind of insecure and don`t want waste this nice version of 10.5.2, the problem is that everything is working fine, iLife is working great and adobe`s master too, so if i do the upgrade and screw it up i will have to reinstall allll over again :D and unfortunately i don`t have another sata II disk to try the installation apart, so i don`t know what i`m going to do, i`ll see but obviously thank you for helping ;)

Hi breakingbad.

Well as you see yeah, i finally have sound, i was missing it so much :P

The only thing is that i can`t work 5.1 channel, i would appreciate if you explain me what i have to do in order to work it out...

*Verdant.... about what you said if I had checked that Sound window Output settings in System Preferences are correct....., well i don`t know really what you mean so i took a screenshot of the output just in case so you can take a look at it...

here it is

Now my dear verdant :P , after i read this i said.......well let`s take a look of what i need to upgrade kalyway........but then i just said. WOOOOW WOOOW WOWWW, it`s too much for me :P I`m a newbie so i fell kind of insecure and don`t want waste this nice version of 10.5.2, the problem is that everything is working fine, iLife is working great and adobe`s master too, so if i do the upgrade and screw it up i will have to reinstall allll over again :( and unfortunately i don`t have another sata II disk to try the installation apart, so i don`t know what i`m going to do, i`ll see but obviously thank you for helping :)

OK you have the internal speakers as the output but no option for headphones......so problem is not a settings problem.....

Sorry, I did not mean to blow your mind......I hoped that my post #1 in my nForce Updater topics in the Mysticus C* forum was a "friendly" and "inviting" intro to updating....... :worried_anim:

You could make a backup of your complete 10.5.2 Extensions, as well as your 10.5.2 User Library Preferences and 10.5.2 System Library Preferences directories for safekeeping........

Hi mate.

Let me tell you something before we jump to the 5.1 channel scheme. ;)

One thing I learned from the best here in InsanelyMac was: don´t be afraid of reinstallations. If you mess your system up for something you want to try and need to reinstall it later, do it, because acting this way everytime you reinstall it, you get more familiarized with the system. You say you are a newbie but when I started here I knew anything to and today in some cases I can help people.

So, my advice is: don´t be afraid of reinstallations process. ;)

Abou the sound scheme to make 5.1 channel work, I´ll post to pics here for you to take a look and see if you have something like in it.

The first pic shows 3 pairs of Line Out on Sound Preferences Panel. You should have them.

51scheme.th.png

The second pic shows the 5.1 CONFIG I made in my system.

51scheme2.th.png

If you confirm to me that you have the 3 pairs of Line Out, I´ll show you how to go on.

[]´s

Hi mate.

Let me tell you something before we jump to the 5.1 channel scheme. ;)

One thing I learned from the best here in InsanelyMac was: don´t be afraid of reinstallations. If you mess your system up for something you want to try and need to reinstall it later, do it, because acting this way everytime you reinstall it, you get more familiarized with the system. You say you are a newbie but when I started here I knew anything to and today in some cases I can help people.

So, my advice is: don´t be afraid of reinstallations process. ;)

Abou the sound scheme to make 5.1 channel work, I´ll post to pics here for you to take a look and see if you have something like in it.

The first pic shows 3 pairs of Line Out on Sound Preferences Panel. You should have them.

51scheme.th.png

The second pic shows the 5.1 CONFIG I made in my system.

51scheme2.th.png

If you confirm to me that you have the 3 pairs of Line Out, I´ll show you how to go on.

[]´s

hello theree, well i am glad you can help me with the 5.1 problem, the only thing is that in my output sound i don`t have 3 pairs of line out.......:thumbsup_anim: i only have one, in fact, now that i see well i only have the internal speakers only :(

here you have..

*The other thing about reinstalling or not..............the problem isn`t that i am afraid of reinstalling, nooo, in fact I reinstalled about 10 times to have my hackintosh working well, but the problem is that i don`t understand very well the page that verdant told me to check, it isn`t his fault, the post is excelent!! but there are so many things that i don`t know what to do :P so maybe i`ll upgrade kalyway in some time, not now I think or I will ask for someone to pass me the files :P

hello theree, well i am glad you can help me with the 5.1 problem, the only thing is that in my output sound i don`t have 3 pairs of line out....... :( i only have one, in fact, now that i see well i only have the internal speakers only :wacko:

here you have..

*The other thing about reinstalling or not..............the problem isn`t that i am afraid of reinstalling, nooo, in fact I reinstalled about 10 times to have my hackintosh working well, but the problem is that i don`t understand very well the page that verdant told me to check, it isn`t his fault, the post is excelent!! but there are so many things that i don`t know what to do :P so maybe i`ll upgrade kalyway in some time, not now I think or I will ask for someone to pass me the files :P

Which bits are difficult to follow......maybe I can explain more clearly.......?

<br />Which bits are difficult to follow......maybe I can explain more clearly.......?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi verdant, i want to clarify something...about your post to upgrade to 10.5.6..it`s not your fault that i don`t understand some thing, the post is greattt and i can`t wait to upgrade my kalyway, the things is there are sooo many thing to do that i read all and i get lost :) but the problem is mine that i`m a newbie and apart from that my language is spanish..........so although i`ve studied engilsh for about 16 years some things are difficult to understand but don`t worry i will try to get another hard drive in order to leave the 100% working kalyway version in this hard drive and install another copy of kalyway in the new hard drive so in that way i would be able to try all the stuff you mentioned so if the system won`t boot i can reinstall it all the time i want, i think it`s the best option because on thursday i start my third year of graphic design and i need the pc working 100% because of the adobe programs and all the stuff...

anyway thak`s a lot, and if i get another hard drive i will tell you so you can help me :rolleyes:

@ disorden OK......hope graphics design goes well for you...... :unsure:

@ disorden OK......hope graphics design goes well for you...... :)

LOL. You´re such a joker verdant. :wacko:

Well disorden, if that helps you, I´m an graphics designer too. In fact I work with advertising. I´m an art director.

Don´t give up on upgrading your system. I agree with you that some things it´s hard to understand in the begin but don´t think that a newbie as someone that can do advanced steps. You´ll only learn and start being a geek if you try.

:D

Cheers.

@ breakingbad

I was not joking.....I really do hope disorden's graphics design course goes well......it should do now that he is using OS X...... :wacko: