Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

Hi All

I am currently new to this OSx86 stuff

I am having trouble installing this on my system:

Mobo: p5n32-e sli plus

Cpu: Q6600 Quad core @2.4 ghz standard.

Memory: 2x2gig sticks Patriot ddr2 6400 @ 800mhz standard

G.Card : BFG 280gtx 1gig

hard drives: 1x 500gig sata 32mb cache

1x 115gig sata

1x 150gig ide

Sound card: creative audigy2zs

I can get the OSx86 to install then it says restart after install and then i take the disc out and let it boot and it just give me no smoking error sign.

I really really want to get this to work as im a really big mac fan but cant afford one sad.gif

I am trying to install iPC OSx86 10.5.6 final copy also have iDeneb 10.5.6 copy any ideas on this and solutions to this matter

Many thanks! biggrin.gif

OK start by setting your BIOS settings to match those for 650i in post #1 and if you have a PATA (IDE) DVDRW make sure that you check your IDE cable connections and jumper settings for the IDE devices as per post #1..... :(

Then follow my blog iPC OS X install guide but initially do not install any video, network or audio drivers from the iPC 10.5.6 Customize menu......they can be added once you have got the basic OS X system working..... :D

OK start by setting your BIOS settings to match those for 650i in post #1 and if you have a PATA (IDE) DVDRW make sure that you check your IDE cable connections and jumper settings for the IDE devices as per post #1..... :D

Then follow my blog iPC OS X install guide but initially do not install any video, network or audio drivers from the iPC 10.5.6 Customize menu......they can be added once you have got the basic OS X system working..... smile.gif

I have a sata dvdrw drive and i cant find ur post#1 with 650i details on :( help lol sorry im a noob!

Its actually the other way around, 1.22TB for the main partition, and 150GB for the remainder...

There it is again.....volume size divisible by 4 for first partition on HDD.......? :)

Enjoy OSx86....... :D

I have a sata dvdrw drive and i cant find ur post#1 with 650i details on :D help lol sorry im a noob!

Look for the words BIOS Settings Template near the start of post #1...... :) But do not worry, I am a patient person........ :D so let me know when you have checked your BIOS settings......:D

There it is again.....volume size divisible by 4 for first partition on HDD.......? :hysterical:

Enjoy OSx86....... :)

Another quick question, I think I have passed this over in the forum but cannot find it again. When I go to boot the computer, it will spit 3 errors to me. Boot0: Error GPT, Boot0: Error HFS+, Boot0: Error. Apparently it wants me to have the install DVD in, and I cant figure out why. It will only fully boot from the Hard Drive if the install disc is in the DVD drive... It seems that it wants to use the bootloader from the DVD vs the harddrive...

Another quick question, I think I have passed this over in the forum but cannot find it again. When I go to boot the computer, it will spit 3 errors to me. Boot0: Error GPT, Boot0: Error HFS+, Boot0: Error. Apparently it wants me to have the install DVD in, and I cant figure out why. It will only fully boot from the Hard Drive if the install disc is in the DVD drive...

You need to make the partition active......see here....... :hysterical:

hi verdant, it`s me again in this great forum that helped me a lot ;)

well this time i come with a question, the thing is that my hackintosh is working absolutely great, so if you don`t remember i tell you that actually i have windows xp installed in a partition ©, then i have installed kalyway 10.5.2 on another partition (G) and finally all my files on another partition (D), all i the same hard drive........the thing is that everything was working great until this days.....one day I wanted to play some games on windows so I rebooted the pc and boot into windows, but that was the problem, i don`t know why but now when I `m on the window`s welcome screen I type my password and it says welcome, the music appears and everything but.........it freeze..it`s like the computer starts but the screen no.........i can move my mouse and everything and the welcome screen doesn`t dissapear..........well the thing is I entered some forums to see the problem and i did some hings but i couldn`t fix it...

MY BIG QUESTION IS......can i start the computer, insert the xp cd installer, erase (format) the © partition and reinstall it??? the question in fact is stupid, obviously that i can do that but when i installed kalyway and restart the computer the menu of darwin didn`t appear so a friend of mine told me to enter windows and in the boot file type this.... C:/chain0="Mac OS X86" and obviously paste the file chain0 in the C partition so as i did this i rebooted and appeared a screen, the darwin one telling me which system i wanted to boot, windows or mac, i select mac and it starts :D ........so that`s my question my problem is.....if i format xp and reinstall it the file will dissapear.....can i do soimething to start the computer and choose any system??

sory for this loooooong text, good luck mate :)

And an update...

So I partitioned the drive with GPT, primary 1.22 TB, secondary 150GB. I install on the primary partition and get the b0 error. I installed on the 150GB partition, and it worked! Could it be the shear size of the drive I am working with?

Update #2

And the size is the key! Apparently anything that is over 1TB in partitioned size does not like to work. It has to be under this limit to work and not get the b0 error. I would pull up fdisk and see that the partition is set to active, just not working.

@ Hi disorden welcome back.....

Glad OS X is working......I suggest you install Chameleon 2.0RC1 from here as your bootloader in OS X..... ;)

@ SBMac

Through your testing on TB size volumes we have learned a lot more about how both GPT and MBR function with very large HDDs....... :censored2:

@ Hi disorden welcome back.....

Glad OS X is working......I suggest you install Chameleon 2.0RC1 from here as your bootloader in OS X.....

thanks for de welcome once again :)

well i downloaded the chameleon already so i will try it later thanks verdant, anyway i wanted to know if i can erase xp partition and reinstall it, there isn`t any problem no? i think my kalyway will continue working, ooh i almost forget, kalyway in my pc only works on AHCI mode and XP in SATA mode, in order to reinstall xp i have to turn on the computer, change to SATA mode, then erase xp and reinstall it or can i do exactly the same in AHCI mode so in that way i will not have to change the mode every time i want to enter windows xp...waht do you think??

@ SBMac

Through your testing on TB size volumes we have learned a lot mor about how both GPT and MBR function with very large HDDs....... :thumbsup_anim:

What can I say, I like to be a guinea pig, and I love testing my own theories, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I just like to make sure things are nailed down before making massive leaps. It probably took me a good 6 months to get my Acer Aspire One into such a state after trying different distros and now it only takes me a good hour if I have to restore.

Update:

The same also applies to MBR formatting. When using greater than 1TB drives, it will have to be in 2 partitions minimum of less than 1TB. Otherwise you will get a B0 error upon restart. Would love to know why this happens at that threshold, if anyone care to dig around....

Hi everybody (just an update)

I gave in for a bit because i was about to :)

I thought that when i did the bios update i had the same problem (auto reboot)

So i took a deep breath and flashed it to 8.02 (the old version was 2.02) then the auto reboot had gone!!! :(:)

So now im installing leo4all v3 (its running very smoothly) Before it was running very slow.

So HOPEFULLY it should reboot and go into os x

aly369

Alrighty so I have the following rig:

Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.8GHz

4GB of OCZ reaper RAM (4x1)

SLI Nvidia 8800GT cards

680i SLI mobo

SATA DVD-RW (from HP)

80GB IDE hard drive

I took out my sound card (not listed) and one of my video cards because OS X obviously won't rock SLI. So I used Kaly 10.5.1 DVD and I can easily get through the install process selecting the best options I see such as the Nvidia graphics drivers (even though it say up to 7000 series not my 8000.....) Anyways after reboot I now get this "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found" without quotes. Sometimes it gives me the infinite reboot issue after installation too, not sure why I get 2 different issues but yea.

I also tried the Kaly 10.5.2 DVD but I cannot even get this DVD to the install screen. As per verdant's advice I booted up both DVDs with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048. After just a minute or so I get the repeating error of 'Still waiting for root device'.

Any ideas? Other people seem to have OS X working with this hardware. Maybe I should use a different DVD or different custom options during install?

I used the GUID partition mode.

@Verdant

First I would just like to say Thank you so much for this thread. It was the exact start I needed to get my HackPro built but I have a few recommendations. DO NOT try to use the XFX 680i SLI board, not the LT. I have tried so many different configurations, and install types that I got fed up. However, and on a rather funny note. The board I had hardly used before the XFX 680i SLI was the Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS. So if anyone has this board you are in for a treat. Verdant, thank you for the thread you have on this board as I am typing this post from my HackPro. Basically what it came down to was horrible freezes and system-instability. Booting was hit or miss with multiple restarts, MBR and GPT formats and various drives would give this problem and was just too much to try and make my solid performer. Than I remembered the spare board I have, and DAMN! AM I HAPPY :D The install was familiar and easy, and its rock solid. I decided to throw a few tests at it, such as mass disk copy and it WORKS! So you will see me post over there if I need any help.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...blogid=284&

By the way, I have that 1.5 TB drive formatted for GPT and with 2 partitions, 1TB and 450GB (or so). IT works beautifully and Time Machine is Great!

Thanks for everything Verdant...

YOU ARE A MAC GOD!!!!

@Verdant

First I would just like to say Thank you so much for this thread. It was the exact start I needed to get my HackPro built but I have a few recommendations. DO NOT try to use the XFX 680i SLI board, not the LT. I have tried so many different configurations, and install types that I got fed up. However, and on a rather funny note. The board I had hardly used before the XFX 680i SLI was the Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS. So if anyone has this board you are in for a treat. Verdant, thank you for the thread you have on this board as I am typing this post from my HackPro. Basically what it came down to was horrible freezes and system-instability. Booting was hit or miss with multiple restarts, MBR and GPT formats and various drives would give this problem and was just too much to try and make my solid performer. Than I remembered the spare board I have, and DAMN! AM I HAPPY :D The install was familiar and easy, and its rock solid. I decided to throw a few tests at it, such as mass disk copy and it WORKS! So you will see me post over there if I need any help.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...blogid=284&

By the way, I have that 1.5 TB drive formatted for GPT and with 2 partitions, 1TB and 450GB (or so). IT works beautifully and Time Machine is Great!

Thanks for everything Verdant...

YOU ARE A MAC GOD!!!!

Comments in no particular order

1. Glad to help...... :( From your comments I can tell that you are HAPPY!

2. Your signature still shows the XFX 680i LT SLI.....?

3. If you have any questions/comment on the Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS, still post in this thread rather than my blog entry as I do not check that as frequently for comments.....

4. Since you like testing.....do not give up on the XFX 680i LT SLI......when you have a spare moment/get bored etc......get it woking properly and write up a guide for it here.... :unsure:

5. Re the Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS what BIOS version are you using and what CPU spec/speed....

I ask this because I had to roll-back to a modded 0803 BIOS from here (as I could not find an original Asus 0803 BIOS file to download) to allow me to overclock more manually/freely (up to 3.3GHz Prime95 stable under Vista but 3.0GHz under OS X).....

Alrighty so I have the following rig:

Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.8GHz

4GB of OCZ reaper RAM (4x1)

SLI Nvidia 8800GT cards

680i SLI mobo

SATA DVD-RW (from HP)

80GB IDE hard drive

I took out my sound card (not listed) and one of my video cards because OS X obviously won't rock SLI. So I used Kaly 10.5.1 DVD and I can easily get through the install process selecting the best options I see such as the Nvidia graphics drivers (even though it say up to 7000 series not my 8000.....) Anyways after reboot I now get this "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found" without quotes. Sometimes it gives me the infinite reboot issue after installation too, not sure why I get 2 different issues but yea.

I also tried the Kaly 10.5.2 DVD but I cannot even get this DVD to the install screen. As per verdant's advice I booted up both DVDs with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048. After just a minute or so I get the repeating error of 'Still waiting for root device'.

Any ideas? Other people seem to have OS X working with this hardware. Maybe I should use a different DVD or different custom options during install?

I used the GUID partition mode.

I assume you have sorted out your BIOS settings as per post #1 AND have tried your HDD as both Master and Slave via Jumper settings.......?

Initially do not install any video, network or audio drivers......i.e. do not choose any options for these in the Customize menu.....so with Kalyway 10.5.2 follow:

1. Boot from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes)

3. Once the Kalyway OS X Installer has loaded, use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your HDD into more than one volume as suggested, select the first volume to install to, otherwise just select the internal HDD volume.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Additional Fonts (Choose to suit your requirements)

Language Translations (Choose to suit your requirements)

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep Y (Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep N

kernel_922_kabyl N

kernel_922_modin N

kernel_92_nforce N

kernel_vanilla_92 N

Graphics _Drivers - None

Audio_Drivers - None

Networks_ Drivers - None

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications – Choose to suit your requirements

(I suggest kextHelperB7, pacifist, perian, ppfomatic, stuffitExpander, textmate, vlc)

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS Default choice i.e. Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag N

PCGenUSB_Fix N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout N

TimeMachineFix Y

PowerManagement_bundle N

Intel Memory Controller N

AMD_1052_Patches Default N (Default choice)

6. Double check your "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins you may choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the Internal HDD......

Also try with

Firewire disabled initially

A PATA DVDRW, also a SATA HDD if you can......

With a SATA DVDRW you most likely will need to use the AppleNForceATATest.kext but it limits you to 3GB MOBO RAM via maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist......

Let me now what happens.......

Comments in no particular order

1. Glad to help...... :) From your comments I can tell that you are HAPPY!

2. Your signature still shows the XFX 680i LT SLI.....?

3. If you have any questions/comment on the Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS, still post in this thread rather than my blog entry as I do not check that as frequently for comments.....

4. Since you like testing.....do not give up on the XFX 680i LT SLI......when you have a spare/moment/get bored etc......get it woking properly and write up a guide for it here.... ;)

5. Re the Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS what BIOS version are you using and what CPU spec/speed....

I ask this because I had to roll-back to a modded 0803 BIOS from here (as I could not find an original Asus 0803 BIOS file to download) to allow me to overclock more manually/freely (up to 3.3GHz Prime95 stable under Vista but 3.0GHz under OS X).....

Doh, forgot to update my signature, and it was the XFX 680i SLI version, not the LT. And I am actually using the 805 BIOS that I had on the board from some time ago. Was thinking of updating that to the new 1301. Have you had any problems with the 1301 BIOS? I am not doing any over-clocking just normal use, and typically just like having the most up-to-date.

Doh, forgot to update my signature, and it was the XFX 680i SLI version, not the LT. And I am actually using the 805 BIOS that I had on the board from some time ago. Was thinking of updating that to the new 1301. Have you had any problems with the 1301 BIOS? I am not doing any over-clocking just normal use, and typically just like having the most up-to-date.

It is worth checking in the overclocking forums for you MOBO.......my experience is that a BIOS that facilitates stable overclocking is a better BIOS even when you choose not to overclock........and unfortunately I found that the latest BIOS is not always best unless it enables or fixes something specific you need e.g. the ability to run a new CPU etc.......

Initially Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS motherboard came with the 0805 BIOS installed but this did not allow stable overclocking beyond 2.7GHz......so I upgraded the BIOS to the 0901, 1002, and 1003 versions on the ASUS website – still no success!

I had to downgrade these other BIOS's to the 0803 version I found......

@ aly369

Reboot from a working OS X install DVD......go to Utilities tab and open up Disk Utility and repair permissions on your OSX system and also verify/repair the volume.

Then try rebooting off the HDD.......if it works then go to Terminal and do the

UNIX way

sudo rm -rf "/.Spotlight-V100"
sudo mdutil -E /

Terminal should report:

/:

Volume index removed. Index will be rebuilt automatically.

and the whole Spotlight indexing process should start over......

or the GUI way

1. Open Spotlight Preferences in the System Preferences window, and add your hard drive(s) to the Privacy List.

2. Close the System Preferences window. Wait a few seconds.

3. Open Spotlight Preferences and remove your hard drive(s) from the Privacy List.

Let me know what happens.....

Hi

THANK YOU the 2nd time osx running on my pc.

1 problem though, when i boot it takes like 10 mins to load.

Timed out waiting to read or write kernel symbols

timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

then it sits there for about 8min

Thanks

aly369

It is worth checking in the overclocking forums for you MOBO.......my experience is that a BIOS that facilitates stable overclocking is a better BIOS even when you choose not to overclock........and unfortunately I found that the latest BIOS is not always best unless it enables or fixes something specific you need e.g. the ability to run a new CPU etc.......

Initially Asus P5N32E-SLI PLUS motherboard came with the 0805 BIOS installed but this did not allow stable overclocking beyond 2.7GHz......so I upgraded the BIOS to the 0901, 1002, and 1003 versions on the ASUS website – still no success!

I had to downgrade these other BIOS's to the 0803 version I found......

Interesting... I am thinking of adding a new Quad Core chip, the Core 2 Quad Q9550. That is the only real reason I should probably upgrade. As of now, everything is so stable that I cannot still comprehend that it all just works! Its soo awesome and fast...

Hi

THANK YOU the 2nd time osx running on my pc.

1 problem though, when i boot it takes like 10 mins to load.

Timed out waiting to read or write kernel symbols

timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

then it sits there for about 8min

Thanks

aly369

Try the IOATAFamily.kext for your version of Leopard from here......but make a backup of your current IOATAFamily.kext......

Is your DVDRW drive SATA or IDE?

Do you want to install OS X to the IDE or SATA HDD?

I have 2 DVDRW Drives... One is IDE ... and other is SATA .,.

Same is with hardisks .. i have both IDE and SATA ...

i just want to install os X... i doesnt matter whether is on IDE or SATA ,,

plz make it working for me .. m not able to install it on any of the harddisks

@Verdant..

Curiosity question for you... Snow Leopard will be out hopefully sooner than later, do you think we should have a smooth process for running this on our boards?

Mysticus C* has started doing some testing with Snow Leopard on a Samsung NC10.....see here.......

I have 2 DVDRW Drives... One is IDE ... and other is SATA .,.

Same is with hardisks .. i have both IDE and SATA ...

i just want to install os X... i doesnt matter whether is on IDE or SATA ,,

plz make it working for me .. m not able to install it on any of the harddisks

OK I suggest the following:

Initially :

1. Change your BIOS settings to match the recommended settings for OS X on 610i chipsets......see downloadable template in post #1 of this thread.....

2. Connect just the IDE DVDRW to the end connector of your 80-wire IDE cable and position the jumper to Master.

3. Connect just the SATA HDD to the MOBO.....

Are you happy to set up your SATA HDD just for OS X......? If so, then:

Use Master Boot Record (MBR) via the Partition menu tab in OS X Disk Utility and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volumes, into a minimum of 4 volumes (depending on your HDD capacity) as follows:

1st volume at the start of HDD is a small 10GB volume (choose a name without spaces e.g. Leopard_Boot or OS_X_Boot etc) to use as a OS X boot volume with ONLY a basic fully working OS X install from your chosen OS X Install DVD (which enables you to use its Disk Utility functions on the other OS X volumes), together with:

Kext Helper b7

OSx86Tools

PC EFI v9 Chameleon Bootloader Installer

Chameleon 2.0RC1 Bootloader Installer

and any other Utiliy software you find very useful for OS X system installation/maintenace/repair etc., to enable you to modify/test OS X updates on the Main and Backup OS X volumes without ever risking not being able to boot into OS X on this HDD.......

The 2nd and 3rd volumes are equal size volumes, which for use as the OS X Main and Backup (or Test) systems, respectively.......suggest you use a size of at least 40GB for each.....

The 4th volume is a OS X Data Archive volume with all your archived OS X and OS x86 software, documents files, image files, music files, or whatever you wish to archive and keep safe......

4. What OS X Install DVDs have you got available to use?