Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

In general the SMBIOS enables motherboard and system vendors to present management information about their products in a standard format by extending the BIOS interface on x86 architecture systems.....i.e. system configuration data....

Thanks. I reinstalled again with those options checked (mac pro smbios, voodoo kernel) and it worked and boots with dual core enabled. However, it crashes promptly with a kernel panic after only a few minutes. The message I got from the last panic was this:

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.nvidia.ethernet(1.0.0d2)@0x772c5000->0x772cafff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.5)@ox771d4000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.6.0)@0x772ed000->0x77302fff

Looks like a problem with the nforce lan drivers?

Thanks. I reinstalled again with those options checked (mac pro smbios, voodoo kernel) and it worked and boots with dual core enabled. However, it crashes promptly with a kernel panic after only a few minutes. The message I got from the last panic was this:

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.nvidia.ethernet(1.0.0d2)@0x772c5000->0x772cafff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.5)@ox771d4000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.6.0)@0x772ed000->0x77302fff

Looks like a problem with the nforce lan drivers?

Try renaming nvenet.kext to nvenet.kext.bad......

Great, that seemed to work. Although now im getting a kernel panic when mounting an image...

edit: looks like i need the 10.5.5 seatbelt kext, ill try that now

You do need it.......!

You do need it.......!

Thanks for your help Verdant. Installed the older seatbelt.kext, and image mounting works without a hitch now. However, i think i spoke too soon about resolving the LAN issues...looks like the kernel panics are back. I've tried installing the nForceLAN kexts which didn't help much (bad performance and kernel panics).

So, looks like I'm almost there, just need to get LAN and sound working (onboard sound chip is ALC885, tried Azalia audio which didnt help, audio is not detected at all).

NVDarwin 1.2.5 has been replaced by CoreVidia...... rename nvdarwin.kext to nvdarwin.kext.orig and run CoreVidia installer...assuming 8800GTX runs OK with it....it should do....

Thanks for the tip and it worked! But I have one question... do I disabled the NVDarwin.kext and renamed it with the .orig, and I got corevidia 1.0 installed for my card telling the installer it is a 768MB card, but when I pull up system profiler, it tells me there is only 640MB VRam, Is there something I need to delete or un-install from NVdarwin, besides the NVDarwin.kext?

Update:

Well it seems when I move the nvdarwin.kexy to the extensions disabled folder, it recognizes the memory, but not the graphics card ID.... Oh well, and just a heads up, if you have alternate links that would be awesome, but it seems that CoreVidia has been updated to v1.1 and both links to download 1.0 and 1.1 do not work, anyone have CoreVidia 1.1 they could share?

Thanks for the tip and it worked! But I have one question... do I disabled the NVDarwin.kext and renamed it with the .orig, and I got corevidia 1.0 installed for my card telling the installer it is a 768MB card, but when I pull up system profiler, it tells me there is only 640MB VRam, Is there something I need to delete or un-install from NVdarwin, besides the NVDarwin.kext?

No, there is only the NVdarwin.kext

Rename CoreVidia.kext to CoreVidia.kext.orig and then run XDarwin nVidia Installer

(NVdarwin 1.2.5), or try CoreVidia 1.1, and choose 768MB in either case.....and see what is reported for VRAM.....

Thanks for your help Verdant. Installed the older seatbelt.kext, and image mounting works without a hitch now. However, i think i spoke too soon about resolving the LAN issues...looks like the kernel panics are back. I've tried installing the nForceLAN kexts which didn't help much (bad performance and kernel panics).

So, looks like I'm almost there, just need to get LAN and sound working (onboard sound chip is ALC885, tried Azalia audio which didnt help, audio is not detected at all).

Double-check that you do not have forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext in Extensions and ensure that you add these 2 lines of code (if found to be missing)

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

before this code:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

in the NVD*.kexts and before this code

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

in the GeForce.kext (see list below)

=============

GeForce.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV10Hal.kext

=============

in the Info.plist file of each of the above kexts.

To get to Info.plist file in each kext:

1. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions

2. Find each kext one at a time, then right-click on kext icon, choosing "Show Package Contents", then open Contents folder to find Info.plist.

3. Open Info.plist file via Terminal using sudo nano etc., or right-click, choosing "Open With", and selecting your preferred Text Editor app; e.g.Text Edit, TextMate, TextWrangler, Property List Editor, or PlistEdit Pro etc.

4. Make changes to Info.plist and save modified file.

All of the NVDANVxxHal.kexts in the list above are recommended to be fixed for class type identification, in case more than one NVDANVxxHal.kext is loaded and registered.....

I´m not so sure, but if you saying that have a 10.5.7 developers release, I believe so. :)

Cheers.

Yup.....see here...... :( Combo Update now here...... :)

Thanks for the links.

Well, as any other system updates, I´ll wait until it´s safe to update my system.

:D

Cheers.

As usual Mysticus C* is on the ball..... ;)

No, there is only the NVdarwin.kext

Rename CoreVidia.kext to CoreVidia.kext.orig and then run XDarwin nVidia Installer

(NVdarwin 1.2.5), or try CoreVidia 1.1, and choose 768MB in either case.....and see what is reported for VRAM.....

Double-check that you do not have forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext in Extensions and ensure that you add these 2 lines of code (if found to be missing)

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
 <string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

before this code:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

in the NVD*.kexts and before this code

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

in the GeForce.kext (see list below)

=============

GeForce.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV10Hal.kext

=============

in the Info.plist file of each of the above kexts.

To get to Info.plist file in each kext:

1. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions

2. Find each kext one at a time, then right-click on kext icon, choosing "Show Package Contents", then open Contents folder to find Info.plist.

3. Open Info.plist file via Terminal using sudo nano etc., or right-click, choosing "Open With", and selecting your preferred Text Editor app; e.g.Text Edit, TextMate, TextWrangler, Property List Editor, or PlistEdit Pro etc.

4. Make changes to Info.plist and save modified file.

All of the NVDANVxxHal.kexts in the list above are recommended to be fixed for class type identification, in case more than one NVDANVxxHal.kext is loaded and registered.....

thanks verdant, but I believe i figured it out. I think what happened was the nforce driver got installed for the realtek lan port (the mobo has 2 ports) and that was screwing things up. I turned off the realtek port, reinstalled the kext and it works now. Also got onboard audio to work! Everything is pretty much flawless at this point, except my pata dvd drive isnt showing up. But other than that, I would definitely call this a success. Thanks again.

As usual Mysticus C* is on the ball..... :D

Awesome! I have been reading through a few forums and it seems the 10.5.7 update is being relatively hackintosh update friendly, except for a few people needing to reload sound drivers. My only concern was when you had told me earlier that you find the voodoo kernel to be more stable for the P5N32-e SLI PLus which I am running. I am wondering how 10.5.7 will work with VooDoo 9.5.0 or if we see better from the vanilla kernel. Let me know if you have any success Verdant....

Awesome! I have been reading through a few forums and it seems the 10.5.7 update is being relatively hackintosh update friendly, except for a few people needing to reload sound drivers. My only concern was when you had told me earlier that you find the voodoo kernel to be more stable for the P5N32-e SLI PLus which I am running. I am wondering how 10.5.7 will work with VooDoo 9.5.0 or if we see better from the vanilla kernel. Let me know if you have any success Verdant....

Hi,

same question about my mobo which based on nforce680i (evga n680i SLI 122-N68-CK-AR) and needs the Voodoo kernel.

thks a lot for your work on the osx86'scene.

edit : sorry for my english, i'm poor frenchy... ^^

enjoy guys

I keep on running into this issue after the install, the system freezes on boot after displaying the MAC address of the NICs: Any ideas? Below is some hardware and install info

photo.jpg

hardware:

eVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo

680i

Core 2 quad q6600, tried with all cores and just one core activated

1 pioneer pata dvd-rw drive

2 wd raptor 36 gig sata drives(unpluged)

1 wd 80gig pata drive ,raid 0 setup (im testing on the 80gbpata drive currently before hopefully moveing over to the RAID)

NVraid is enabled inthe bios but no SATA drives are plugged in currently

single volume OSX partition on the 80gb ata

no other OS's present

evga 260 gtx core 216 768mb

onboard sound

nforce audio/lan, 1 firewire(disabled) port, 6 sata ports, 8 usb ports

Using iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6

bios:

1 core is enabled all others disabled

both lan prots are enabled (tried toggleing between the 2)

firewires is disabled

audio is disabled

Nvraid enabled

options checked during the install:

voodoo kernel

AppleSMBIOS mac pro

nforce ethernet

AppleNForceATA

NVinject 768mb

OSx86 Tools

thank you

I keep on running into this issue after the install, the system freezes on boot after displaying the MAC address of the NICs: Any ideas? Below is some hardware and install info

photo.jpg

hardware:

eVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo

680i

Core 2 quad q6600, tried with all cores and just one core activated

1 pioneer pata dvd-rw drive

2 wd raptor 36 gig sata drives(unpluged)

1 wd 80gig pata drive ,raid 0 setup (im testing on the 80gbpata drive currently before hopefully moveing over to the RAID)

NVraid is enabled inthe bios but no SATA drives are plugged in currently

single volume OSX partition on the 80gb ata

no other OS's present

evga 260 gtx core 216 768mb

onboard sound

nforce audio/lan, 1 firewire(disabled) port, 6 sata ports, 8 usb ports

Using iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6

bios:

1 core is enabled all others disabled

both lan prots are enabled (tried toggleing between the 2)

firewires is disabled

audio is disabled

Nvraid enabled

options checked during the install:

voodoo kernel

AppleSMBIOS mac pro

nforce ethernet

AppleNForceATA

NVinject 768mb

OSx86 Tools

thank you

sweet thanks for the quick reply, ill try this out as soon as i get home.

just another quick most possiable noobish question

how would i rename the file if i cant boot into the os? im assuming that the install disk will allow me to do this if not i can use? or is there some type of command line i can use?

Thanks again

sweet thanks for the quick reply, ill try this out as soon as i get home.

just another quick most possiable noobish question

how would i rename the file if i cant boot into the os? im assuming that the install disk will allow me to do this if not i can use? or is there some type of command line i can use?

Thanks again

Yes, boot from install DVD......go to Terminal via Disk Utility......

cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume/

ls

"just to see where you are, i.e. to see /System etc."

cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume/System/Library/Extensions/

ls

sudo mv nvenet.kext nvenet.kext.bad

ls

ls will list the files in System/Library/Extensions/ and you should see nvenet.kext.bad

exit

Exit Disk Utility, Click Restart button in DVD Installer menu........

Yes, boot from install DVD......go to Terminal via Disk Utility......

cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume/

ls

"just to see where you are, i.e. to see /System etc."

cd /Volumes/Name of your HDD OS X volume/System/Library/Extensions/

ls

sudo mv nvenet.kext nvenet.kext.bad

ls

ls will list the files in System/Library/Extensions/ and you should see nvenet.kext.bad

exit

Exit Disk Utility, Click Restart button in DVD Installer menu........

Thanks for all the help I followed all your instructions but now i'm receiving a strange message and still not booting: "could not establish network connection: success!" at least it seems very happy its not working.. I get this when i have both the network adapters disabled, the system freezed after displaying the MAC address when i hve one or the other or both enables

photo2.jpg

thanks

Thanks for all the help I followed all your instructions but now i'm receiving a strange message and still not booting: "could not establish network connection: success!" at least it seems very happy its not working.. I get this when i have both the network adapters disabled, the system freezed after displaying the MAC address when i hve one or the other or both enables

thanks

Enable one of your onboard LAN ports, connect it to your LAN/modem......run eno's nForceLAN.kext installer .pkg from here......report what happens when booting with -v.....

Hello.

I have a problem with Leopard " still waiting for root device" after installation .

Computer:

CPU Intel E8400

RAM 2 GB

M/B GA-73PVM-S2H

Chipset nForce 630i

Video GeForce 7100 on-board

Audio Realtek HD on-board

HDD1 SAta

HDD2 IDE

DVD-RW SAta

OSX IPC 10.5.6

Which drivers I should select for my configuration?

Thanks!!

Hello.

I have a problem with Leopard " still waiting for root device" after installation .

Computer:

CPU Intel E8400

RAM 2 GB

M/B GA-73PVM-S2H

Chipset nForce 630i

Video GeForce 7100 on-board

Audio Realtek HD on-board

HDD1 SAta

HDD2 IDE

DVD-RW SAta

OSX IPC 10.5.6

Which drivers I should select for my configuration?

Thanks!!

Are you installing OS X on SATA or PATA HDD? You need to use iPC Final Version with the v1.1 nForce patch......

See my iPC install guide in my blog......but note that your onboard GeForce 7100 GPU is not supported by OS X for Core Image/QuartzExtreme, so do not select any video driver in iPC Customize selection menu.....and initially do not select a audio and network driver either.....focus on getting the basoc OS X system running OK......there is a possibility you may still need to try OSx86DeFacto....

Enable one of your onboard LAN ports, connect it to your LAN/modem......run eno's nForceLAN.kext installer .pkg from here......report what happens when booting with -v.....

well im running into some issues installing the driver, i tried coping the files to a usb drive which i can not mount and i also burned them on to a cd which gives me the lovely beach ball of death when i eject the ideneb cd and replace it with th one with the driver on it....

how would you recommend installing the driver from th terminal on the install cd

thank you again

@Verdant

Do you possibly know why Mysticus's site is down? I have not been able to pull it up for 2 days now...

There are server maintenance problems I believe....... :(

well im running into some issues installing the driver, i tried coping the files to a usb drive which i can not mount and i also burned them on to a cd which gives me the lovely beach ball of death when i eject the ideneb cd and replace it with th one with the driver on it....

how would you recommend installing the driver from th terminal on the install cd

thank you again

I will respond later today when I have more time....... ;)