Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

@ Verdant

Just curious here... How hard is it to change the graphics driver from the NVDarwin 640MB to the 768? I am thinking of dropping in an 8800 GTX for a bit more power over my 8800GTS 640MB , cant seem to have enough lol. And could you possibly layout the instructions? I know I would have to mess with the .kext's just not sure the best way...

@ Verdant

Just curious here... How hard is it to change the graphics driver from the NVDarwin 640MB to the 768? I am thinking of dropping in an 8800 GTX for a bit more power over my 8800GTS 640MB , cant seem to have enough lol. And could you possibly layout the instructions? I know I would have to mess with the .kext's just not sure the best way...

NVDarwin 1.2.5 has been replaced by CoreVidia...... rename nvdarwin.kext to nvdarwin.kext.orig and run CoreVidia installer...assuming 8800GTX runs OK with it....it should do....

NVDarwin 1.2.5 has been replaced by CoreVidia...... rename nvdarwin.kext to nvdarwin.kext.orig and run CoreVidia installer...assuming 8800GTX runs OK with it....it should do....

Bitchin! didn't think it would be that easy but sweet! Thanks and I think it will work as the 8800GTX has 768MB GDDR3, and I have heard this works pretty well so we shall see what happens when I get the card!

Hi everyone i got ipc running on my pc and loving it.....

problem is....i can't live without my ps2 keybroad when i play games on vista it only supports 6 keys and it coming very fustrating.

Is there anyway to get this to work?? i have a working ps/2 mouse.

Thanks

aly369

Hi everyone i got ipc running on my pc and loving it.....

problem is....i can't live without my ps2 keybroad when i play games on vista it only supports 6 keys and it coming very fustrating.

Is there anyway to get this to work?? i have a working ps/2 mouse.

Thanks

aly369

Is a PS/2 keyboard + Vista problem or PS/2 keyboard + OS X problem.......please clarify.

I have a Problem installing my Graphic Card and SoundCard kexts.

System: Abit MoBo nForce 630i with HDMI.

I am using both onboard SoundCards and the onboard 7100 GeForce Graphic.

The problem is that non one of the Injectors works with GraphicCard and if i Inject string in EFI and fix the NV kexts - i am getting KP. It doesnt matter - EFI String or Injectors - both methods lead to KP.

My GraphicCard ID is - 0x10de07e1 with 256MB RAM.

Can someone please help me?

Edit: Distro is XxX 10.5.6 with ApplenForceATA.kext and latest Voodoo Kernel, 2 GB RAM and E2180 CPU.

@ Verdant

Another question to throw your way... I have 5 drives in my system, and one I was using as a virtualization drive, well... It sucks when trying to play games, and CrossOver Games just does not work for the majority. So I have 1 - 320 GB drive I am going to install Windows on. Since I have everything set to Mac, can I just partition the drive for PC use, boot and install windows letting Chameleon bootloader pick between the drives? or is there anything in particular I need to create dual boot? Thanks in Advance...

@ Verdant

Another question to throw your way... I have 5 drives in my system, and one I was using as a virtualization drive, well... It sucks when trying to play games, and CrossOver Games just does not work for the majority. So I have 1 - 320 GB drive I am going to install Windows on. Since I have everything set to Mac, can I just partition the drive for PC use, boot and install windows letting Chameleon bootloader pick between the drives? or is there anything in particular I need to create dual boot? Thanks in Advance...

There is no problem with installing Vista on a separate HDD......try Chameleon 2.0RC1 on its own in OS X and see if it picks up Vista on its own HDD......if not, then install EasyBCD 1.7.2 on Vista as well.....

I have a Problem installing my Graphic Card and SoundCard kexts.

System: Abit MoBo nForce 630i with HDMI.

I am using both onboard SoundCards and the onboard 7100 GeForce Graphic.

The problem is that non one of the Injectors works with GraphicCard and if i Inject string in EFI and fix the NV kexts - i am getting KP. It doesnt matter - EFI String or Injectors - both methods lead to KP.

My GraphicCard ID is - 0x10de07e1 with 256MB RAM.

Can someone please help me?

Edit: Distro is XxX 10.5.6 with ApplenForceATA.kext and latest Voodoo Kernel, 2 GB RAM and E2180 CPU.

Your onboard 7100 GeForce GPU is not supported by OS X for Core Image & Quartz Extreme......i.e. neither EFI string nor injector approaches will give you CI/QE using this GPU.....you can only use Vesa mode with it.....

If you want CI/QE then you need to get a PCI-e graphics card.....assuming your MOBO can use a plug-in graphics card....

PS/2 on mac ipc 10.5.6 sorry not making this clear

sadly : my graphics card died yesterday :censored2: so i will be on onboard graphics for a bit)

Try the PS/2 kexts from here......

Your onboard 7100 GeForce GPU is not supported by OS X for Core Image & Quartz Extreme......i.e. neither EFI string nor injector approaches will give you CI/QE using this GPU.....you can only use Vesa mode with it.....

If you want CI/QE then you need to get a PCI-e graphics card.....assuming your MOBO can use a plug-in graphics card....

O.K. Thank you - i want to buy nVidia 9500GT HDMI. I have already seen that this card works.

@verdant

Hi mate. How ya doing? I´m off for a long time now... being studying and running my business so I took most of my time. Now I have some free time and came back here to see how you all doing.

I can tell you that here in my system, Chameleon 2.0 RC1 worked like a charm for me. It loads all my partitions including my Vista HDD and I can boot from it very nice and fast. Never had problem at all.

Gotta go now.

C ya.

Cheers.

Hi all

Thanks verdant for the ps2 drivers :rolleyes:

Now can anybody recommend a new graphics card or motherboard (sadly somthing has gone horrible wrong with my pc)

im thinking of getting the 9600 GT

Bye

aly369

@verdant

Hi mate. How ya doing? I´m off for a long time now... being studying and running my business so I took most of my time. Now I have some free time and came back here to see how you all doing.

I can tell you that here in my system, Chameleon 2.0 RC1 worked like a charm for me. It loads all my partitions including my Vista HDD and I can boot from it very nice and fast. Never had problem at all.

Gotta go now.

C ya.

Cheers.

Hi bb

Hope your business is going well. So, do you now have a separate HDD for Vista as your signature mentions only one HDD......I run Chameleon 2.0RC1 and EasyBCD so that I first boot to Vista booloader where I choose Vista, Leopard or Ubuntu.......if I boot to Leopard, Chameleon 2.0RC1 gives me a choice of all bootable drives (external and external)......so if I change my mind it is no problem..... :P

When final release of Chameleon 2.0 arrives, I may just stick with Chameleon 2.0 but at present EasyBCD is a safety fallback position because booting from Chameleon 2.0RC1 on my external eSATA OS X HDD to Ubuntu messes up the Vista and Ubuntu boot loaders whereas booting from Chameleon 2.0RC1 on my internal OS X HDD does not........ :)

Hi all

Thanks verdant for the ps2 drivers :)

Now can anybody recommend a new graphics card or motherboard (sadly somthing has gone horrible wrong with my pc)

im thinking of getting the 9600 GT

Bye

aly369

I suggest you try switching the PC off, removing power lead, waiting 10 mins, remove CMOS battery, remove all cards including video card and RAM from the MOBO, disconnect all connectors to PSU, HDDs, fans etc. for at least 30 minutes.......then replace connectors, install cards, RAM and CMOS battery.......then connect AC and switch on......

It should hopefully reset the MOBO BIOS and graphics card BIOS.......and assuming that your graphics card is not really dead and you MOBO RAM is OK......the MOBO BIOS should POST successfully.......

I still cannot get this Kaly 10.5.2 Disc to work.... Why the hell does my 10.5.1 disc work with default BIOS settings but the 10.5.2 disc keeps giving me this same old garbage of Still waiting for boot device. I tried changing my BIOS to the exact setup you posted for 680i but there is NOTHING regarding the Jmicron controller settings in my BIOS as far as I can see? Maybe that is the issue, that is the one thing that makes my BIOS different from the settings you posted.

EDIT: Also, I have tried moving the jumper around all over the place and it does not make a difference. The BIOS seems to think the HDD is Master no matter what the jumper is on anyways.

EDIT 2: And by "work" I meant the Kaly 10.5.1 disc easily makes it to and installs OS X, just fails to boot up after "install".

I still cannot get this Kaly 10.5.2 Disc to work.... Why the hell does my 10.5.1 disc work with default BIOS settings but the 10.5.2 disc keeps giving me this same old garbage of Still waiting for boot device. I tried changing my BIOS to the exact setup you posted for 680i but there is NOTHING regarding the Jmicron controller settings in my BIOS as far as I can see? Maybe that is the issue, that is the one thing that makes my BIOS different from the settings you posted.

EDIT: Also, I have tried moving the jumper around all over the place and it does not make a difference. The BIOS seems to think the HDD is Master no matter what the jumper is on anyways.

EDIT 2: And by "work" I meant the Kaly 10.5.1 disc easily makes it to and installs OS X, just fails to boot up after "install".

The DVD boot Extensions.mkext file probably does not have the appropriate AppleNForceATA.kext in it.....did you try booting with -v -f cpus=1 maxmem=2048....?

The BIOS list in post #1 is a composite list as I say there.......it has as many BIOS parameters/settings as I have access to, for each nForce chipset......not every MOBO BIOS will have the same parameters and none will have all shown in the template......you pick your BIOS parameters from the list and check the settings.....

Is your IDE cable 80-wire or 40-wire......see post #1 on the difference it makes in terms of cable connection positions.....

Did you try SATA DVDRW + SATA HDD versus SATA DVDRW + IDE HDD versus IDE DVDRW (jumpered as Master) + IDE HDD (Jumpered as Slave unless as Master on 2nd IDE Channel) versus IDE DVDRW (Jumpered as Master) + SATA HDD for booting to Kalyway 10.5.2 Install DVD.....? Latter combo typically causes the fewest problems.....

After installation of 10.5.1 did you boot with -v -f.....? If you did, what error messages showed up on the boot screen....?

@verdant.

Hi mate. Business is running fine and keeps getting better. ;)

In fact, I always had 2 HDD´s - one for OS X and the other for Vista. In my sig just uses one because by now Vista is just for entertainment and some minor issues like the software for my camcorder that´s not recognized by OS X. :wacko:

The other day I was running the forum around and so a guy sig saying that he has the 10.5.7 version of OS X... so I checked apple website to see if I was missing something but couldn´t fine anything related to this version... can I assume that this guy can be right or he may be just a fool ??? LOL !

C ya.

Cheers,

bb.

Right my graphics card has been taken for testing.....

I really need some help (sorry for not asking you earlier) i dont what sound what sound card i have????

So i need some sound card drivers

Run lspci from OSx86Tools, or install and run DPCIManager.....it should give you the audio chipset......

@ breakingbad 10.5.7 developer release?

I am trying install with default settings intially, the install was smooth. I am using dual boot along with Win7. FreeBSD. able to recover and boot into the Win and Mac. Win works as usual.

But Mac, i couldn't pass the blue screen after apple logo screen. I installed the default settings and nothing else.

I am using Sony VGN-N110G laptop with the following configuration

Network Adapter Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Conn

Processor Intel CPU T1350 1.86GH

SATA Intel 82801 PCI Bridge

Mobile Intel 945GM/

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K160ATA Device

Intel 945 Express Chipsent

Any help is appreciated

A:

1. eVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo

2. 680i

3. Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 2.4 ghz, tried with both cores and just one core activated

5. 1 pioneer pata dvd-rw drive

6. 1 wd raptor 150 gig sata drive, 1 barracuda 60 gig pata drive (tested installation on both drives, needed the pata drive plugged in to even get to install screen), no raid setup

7. single volume OSX partition on each drive

8. no other OS's present

9. pny geforce 8800 gtx 768mb

10. sound blaster x-fi pci card

11. nforce audio/lan, 1 firewire port, 6 sata ports, 8 usb ports

B:

1. Using iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6

2. I've tried installing osx on both drives, and in both cases the installation was successful with no errors presented. However, on rebooting after the installation I get the following messages (after running in -v): "Waiting for boot volume with UUID: xxx", followed by a repeating message of "Still waiting for root device"

After reading through this thread, it looks like I might need OSx86DeFacto, any thoughts?

A:

1. eVGA nForce 680i SLI mobo

2. 680i

3. Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 2.4 ghz, tried with both cores and just one core activated

5. 1 pioneer pata dvd-rw drive

6. 1 wd raptor 150 gig sata drive, 1 barracuda 60 gig pata drive (tested installation on both drives, needed the pata drive plugged in to even get to install screen), no raid setup

7. single volume OSX partition on each drive

8. no other OS's present

9. pny geforce 8800 gtx 768mb

10. sound blaster x-fi pci card

11. nforce audio/lan, 1 firewire port, 6 sata ports, 8 usb ports

B:

1. Using iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6

2. I've tried installing osx on both drives, and in both cases the installation was successful with no errors presented. However, on rebooting after the installation I get the following messages (after running in -v): "Waiting for boot volume with UUID: xxx", followed by a repeating message of "Still waiting for root device"

After reading through this thread, it looks like I might need OSx86DeFacto, any thoughts?

Hi there,

With a PATA DVDRW it is unusual to have problems with the error "Still waiting for root device".......

Please confirm the following:

1. Your BIOS settings matching my recommended 680i settings for OS X for SATA/RAID/IDE.....

2. IDE cable connections with PATA DVDRW jumper set to Master on end 80-wire IDE Cable connector and PATA HDD jumper set to Slave on middle 80-wire IDE connector....

3. OS X installed on a primary (i.e. not logical) active partition as MBR or GPT partition formatted as HFS+ (preferably MBR for fewer problems.....)

4. Have you tried without sound blaster x-fi pci card installed....?

Hi there,

With a PATA DVDRW it is unusual to have problems with the error "Still waiting for root device".......

Please confirm the following:

1. Your BIOS settings matching my recommended 680i settings for OS X for SATA/RAID/IDE.....

2. IDE cable connections with PATA DVDRW jumper set to Master on end 80-wire IDE Cable connector and PATA HDD jumper set to Slave on middle 80-wire IDE connector....

3. OS X installed on a primary (i.e. not logical) active partition as MBR or GPT partition formatted as HFS+ (preferably MBR for fewer problems.....)

4. Have you tried without sound blaster x-fi pci card installed....?

Thanks for the reply, verdant. Some good news, I was able to install using iDeneb 1.4 after customizing some of the install options (missed that "Customize" button the first time). I installed using the soundblaster drivers, sse3 kernel, nforce networking, nforce chipset, and nvidia nvinject 768 drivers, and was able to install and boot into OSX successfully!

The only issues I have now are:

- sound still does not work (I don't know if there are other drivers for this card, or if i should resort to using the onboard sound and try to get that to work)

- was only able to boot with 1 core enabled. 2 cores gave me the dark grey "please restart your computer" screen

Thanks for the reply, verdant. Some good news, I was able to install using iDeneb 1.4 after customizing some of the install options (missed that "Customize" button the first time). I installed using the soundblaster drivers, sse3 kernel, nforce networking, nforce chipset, and nvidia nvinject 768 drivers, and was able to install and boot into OSX successfully!

The only issues I have now are:

- sound still does not work (I don't know if there are other drivers for this card, or if i should resort to using the onboard sound and try to get that to work)

- was only able to boot with 1 core enabled. 2 cores gave me the dark grey "please restart your computer" screen

Did you select AppleSMBIOS for Mac Pro.....?

Did you select 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel......? It should allow both cores to run.

For your sound card see here.....

Did you select AppleSMBIOS for Mac Pro.....?

Did you select 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel......? It should allow both cores to run.

For your sound card see here.....

What does the AppleSMBIOS enable me to do? (I did not select this)

I selected an ss3 kernel in iDeneb, not sure if it was a voodoo kernel or not. I'll do a quick reinstall with these options and see if that helps, then try to install those soundblaster drivers.

What does the AppleSMBIOS enable me to do? (I did not select this)

I selected an ss3 kernel in iDeneb, not sure if it was a voodoo kernel or not. I'll do a quick reinstall with these options and see if that helps, then try to install those soundblaster drivers.

In general the SMBIOS enables motherboard and system vendors to present management information about their products in a standard format by extending the BIOS interface on x86 architecture systems.....i.e. system configuration data....