New MacBooks and MacBook Pro's

nebulOSX

29 posts in this topic

The good:

Aluminum casing in Macbooks

Backlit keyboards in Macbooks

nVidia graphics in Macbooks

Dual Video chips on Macbook Pros, with switch up to higher powered chip (saves power)

Dual link video out on Macbooks

High Resolution screen and 4GB RAM standard on 17" Macbook Pro (old design still)

Entry Macbook is now cheaper, but it is the old plastic design. Still, cheaper is "good".

The bad:

* No firewire on Macbooks

* Loss of "real" DVI port on Macbook Pro which was replaced with the mini connector, and now requires an adapter

* Switch to Chicklet keyboard on Macbook Pro (subjective, but I *hate* the chicklet keyboards)

* Glossy only display on Macbook Pro

Overall:

This is good news for people buying Macbooks, which are a lot closer to their Macbook Pro cousins now. For the Macbook Pro crowd, there is little to be excited about, and depending on preferences, a bit to be unhappy about with the new models. In fact, the new features and pricing, makes the jump to the Macbook Pro expensive for what you get extra, now that many of the features are found in the Macbook line. If I didn't already own a 17" high resolution Macbook Pro, I'd perhaps be most intrigued by the subtle changes in pricing/options on the 17" Macbook Pro (which is still based on the old design). Perhaps the best news out of this is that more of Apple's line has real graphics chips now, which should lead to better software that takes advantage of the hardware for people who already have high end Macs (since you somewhat raise the lowest common denominator).

The MacBook's new 9400M graphics chip by Nvidia is actually a combination GPU / Chipset.

This means Apple drivers for Nvidia chipset!

What? No Firewire? :) What is Apple smoking? Was going to buy one this weekend but now it just makes a lot more sense to get the Gigabyte 912T or 912M Tablet. It doesn't have Firewire (standard) either but at least it's a TABLET and it costs one third as much, and I can always add FW to the Gigabyte so overall it a much better deal for the money.

Apple is going backwards. Used to like their laptops but now they are just so-so and over priced for what you get. Thanks, but no thanks ;)

I hate how apple is now putting black boarders around the screens on everything. They absolutely butchered the new LED Cinema Display, should have just left it aluminum. I think the boarders are just an excuse to make the laptops and display look different and new. Whats next? A black and aluminum mac pro? Oh god.

post-162507-1224034148_thumb.jpg

The MacBook is a nice improvement with the aluminium case & lighter weight.

It's very disapointing that the screen resolution on the 15" MacBook Pro is still a pathetic 1440x900. My 5 year old Compaq Evo N610 with a 14.1" screen is 1400x1050 while my 15" Dell Precision M60 that is only slightly newer has 1920x1200.

man i like the new mb's! the design is awesome! but i thought the entry price would be lower. but the macbook pro (especially the high end ones) are cheaper as dells with the same specs, so those aren't overpriced!

buying a mb!

Lol

I planned to buy one last month. and I'm a bit disapointed...

Macbook : only 2usb and nothing more !!!

Sorry but it's a no way issue for me !

And when you talk about prices comparision: take a look to the sony FW21 series...

I think there is still scope for them to release an $800 MacBook, or sell off the older model at that price.

The lack of Firewire is unforgivable, considering Steve urged us all to go out and buy Firewire devices not so long ago. In terms of the time-is-money equation and keeping in mind waaaaay better battery life than a hackbook, I think Apple deserve credit and our hard earned cash. Also, it looks pretty sharp to me.

Well, I really like the way they are made and the new graphics cards. However, all the Macbooks are starting to look the same now. I don't really like the design on the Macbook Pro compared to the old one. I was getting a Macbook Pro next month but now I'm looking on Ebay for the old one.

Well, I really like the way they are made and the new graphics cards. However, all the Macbooks are starting to look the same now. I don't really like the design on the Macbook Pro compared to the old one. I was getting a Macbook Pro next month but now I'm looking on Ebay for the old one.

or if you wanted a 17", that is still the old design.

Macbooks start at $999.95 ;)

That is for the old design. Hurt was talking about the new one, which compared to the cost of the old design, is a good deal. $300 more for newer processor (faster front side bus, supports DDR3 RAM), 2GB DDR3 RAM (vs. 1GB DDR2), 160GB HD (vs. 120GB, not a big difference, same rpm) and Nvidia Geforce 9400 mobile (will eat the previous Intel X3100 graphics) and new design. Looks pretty nice next to another overpriced laptop.

I got the new 2.4GHz Macbook Pro, and I can say it's a great improvement over my 2.2GHz Macbook Pro from July 2007. The graphics are a big improvement and the computer feels snappier overall. I also love the new design and the trackpad. Good show from Apple on this one.

Oh yes the new MacBooks and MBP look so pretty but I'm very disappointed with Apple for getting rid of Firewire on their new MacBooks and for only having Firewire 800 on the new MBP. Firewire is a much used and very important tool for musicians and videographers. What the hell were Apple thinking of!!

The only other thing that is stopping me from buying the new MacBook other than the lack of Firewire is that it is £200 more expensive than they ever were.

Artmuzz

I hate how apple is now putting black boarders around the screens on everything. They absolutely butchered the new LED Cinema Display, should have just left it aluminum. I think the boarders are just an excuse to make the laptops and display look different and new. Whats next? A black and aluminum mac pro? Oh god.

The black is there for a reason. When a screen has a black surround it increases the perceived contrast ratio.

This is why all projection screens (movie theater front projection style) have black borders too. It is a way to get by with a lower contrast ratio on the display while still appearing to have a high ratio.

Any one else notice that the new ACD doesn't have the ability to connect to the Mac Pro?

It has USB ports and the Apple Mini DVI connector, but no standard DVI or VGA??