Apple switches to Nvidia combo chipset...

danielmramos

18 posts in this topic

Lifted from Gizmodo.com, here are the words straight from Steve's mouth.

Jobs: Nvidia came to talk to them a few months ago about a product that would include the chipset and the graphics processor.

Nvidia GeForce 9400M is the name of the product.

This combimes both the Chipset + the GPU, 70% of the die is the GPU. It has 16 parallel graphics cores, pushes 54 Gigaflops and runs up to 5 times faster than Intel Integrated graphics.

So, there you have it.

Old and busted: intel integrated chipsets

New coolness: Nvidia integrated chipsets (starting with the 9400M)

So, how long will it take for this to filter to the rest of the line? Probably not long. How will this change the way hackintosh aficionados do their deed? I imagine it will effect the hackintosh community substantially. Is it exciting? You betcha!

Is the Hybrid SLI the thing that makes it so I can switch from low-power 9400 to hi-power 9600? Or did I misread something somewhere?

No, thats not Hybrid SLI. OSX doesn't support any kind of SLI.

Hybrid SLI combines both dedicated and integrated graphics for better performance.

i think it's not hybrid sli. i understood the keynote that way: you have 9400m for a start, when you want faster chip, you upgrade(or buy faster MBP with 9600 included) instead of 9400. i think in that case the integrated will be disabled(like like gma in bios)

@cavallo- suppose you don't have full support for your nforce? or you just know it's a {censored} one even on windows/linux? i don't have mobo with it so i can't say anything about it, but since apple switched to it-it can't be that bad,don't you think?

I don't think that the "old" nforce chipsets will be supported by Apple. They really do not have an interest or reason to supply backward compatability; however, I believe the newer chipsets based on MCP79MXT will be supported. We may indeed be buying Nvidia motherboards in the future. This doesn't mean that computability with intel chipsets will suddenly disappear. I think it mean that you will see future support shifted to the latest that Nvidia has to offer as opposed to the latest from intel. Keep you eyes open for future desktop motherboards that are based on the newest Nvidia chipsets. I am sure someone here will give it a go.