Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

I'm trying the procedure TOMORROW! As a Mac Lover (I have 2) I just loved the Aspire One, and it's so CHEAP!

I was wondering if the DRX-S70U from Sony was working as an external drive for the installation? It's working on Windows AND Mac OS X... and Via USB...

Thanks ;)

Felix ;)

Ok guys, is it REALLY an obligation to do update -v EVERYTIME I starup my computer???

This is not necessary, I had this probelm as well, just make sure you follow this part...

30. When you have booted into OSX for the first time, goto drive name > applications > Utililities > Terminal

QUOTE:

Currently we are using 9.2 Speedstep Kernel, since I want to use Vanilla Kernel from the original Mac OS, and for this system vanilla kernel will only support 1 cpu ( still trying to look for solution and make use of 2 cpu's)

Type in the following command in Terminal Mode:

Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

System will ask you for your password, you may enter your password

look for "Kernel Flags" and put "cpus=1".

Press i to insert item

Eg.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

Press Esc

Press shift+:wq

If this was not done after you did your initial install, than you will get that constant looping or the update -v. It took me a re-install to figure that one out, so just try this to make sure.

~Stephen

This is not necessary, I had this probelm as well, just make sure you follow this part...

30. When you have booted into OSX for the first time, goto drive name > applications > Utililities > Terminal

If this was not done after you did your initial install, than you will get that constant looping or the update -v. It took me a re-install to figure that one out, so just try this to make sure.

~Stephen

Thanks man :blink: it's working SO WELL :)

Felix :)

QUOTE:

Currently we are using 9.2 Speedstep Kernel, since I want to use Vanilla Kernel from the original Mac OS, and for this system vanilla kernel will only support 1 cpu ( still trying to look for solution and make use of 2 cpu's)

Type in the following command in Terminal Mode:

Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

System will ask you for your password, you may enter your password

look for "Kernel Flags" and put "cpus=1".

Press i to insert item

Eg.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

Press Esc

Press shift+:wq

~Stephen

I have the same problem before because of the press shift+:wq...which I didnt execute well...

Another option - on your first install (Kalyway 10.5.2) is to select vanilla kernel instead of speedstep kernel and click on the Fix section and select the fix for cpus=1 aka dell workaround...this is the shortcut method bypassing step no. 30 and then proceed with the combo update 10.5.3

Is it an obligation to redo everything to get windows installed again on the AAO?

It depends...if you setup your hard disk in 2 partitions and install osx on the first partition...then you can install windows on the second partition...

If not.... its better to redo again (install first windows then os x and use darwin as your os selector)

You can find the tutorial somewhere here in insanelymac or in youtube.

I have the same problem before because of the press shift+:wq...which I didnt execute well...

Another option - on your first install (Kalyway 10.5.2) is to select vanilla kernel instead of speedstep kernel and click on the Fix section and select the fix for cpus=1 aka dell workaround...this is the shortcut method bypassing step no. 30 and then proceed with the combo update 10.5.3

Thank you, I was curious about doing that myself when I was doing the install, I will have to keep this in mind just in case...

Is it an obligation to redo everything to get windows installed again on the AAO?

If you do want winblows installed, you would have to start with that installed first (I have found it to be easier to install first) and use a partition utility like Partition Magic to get it going....

~Stephen

I think I mentioned this before but, just another note, iDeneb 10.5.5 installs flawlessly on the AAO with Vanilla kernel..I use cpus=1, although when I first booted after install I was able to bypass any kernel loop or panic.

Also be sure that if you use Sticmac's or Pauls Wind kext packs to check the system.kext and your kernel version to match or else your usb hot swapping won't work..

There's a Windows XP unofficial Recovery Disk download on the AAO user forum. Just has XP with AAO drivers slipstreamed..None of the Acer programs:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...f=11&t=2445

I've just found some interesting progress on the Card Reader Slot (JMicron) at the following

http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone tried the Kext? They have uploaded Beta1...does it work? :)

Blue-K keep up the good work, ill wait for the Acer 1 CD

Thanks :P . I'm also looking forward to it :D . Still waiting for Kernel...if the Card-Readers will work, we have a nearly perfect Hackbook...oh my God :D ...

I think I mentioned this before but, just another note, iDeneb 10.5.5 installs flawlessly on the AAO with Vanilla kernel..I use cpus=1, although when I first booted after install I was able to bypass any kernel loop or panic.

---------

Hey brgroup, I'm just trying to get iDeneb 10.5.5 going on my AAO, but since it's my first OSX installation I'm kinda lost as to what options I should be choosing for the custom install. Any chance of writing up which ones work best?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting the Apple logo and endless spinning icon after a basic install, and if I check the diagnostics the last thing I see is:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (248000000)

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: probeHardware() failed

then I get a delay... and then

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

(ad infinitum)

Hey brgroup, I'm just trying to get iDeneb 10.5.5 going on my AAO, but since it's my first OSX installation I'm kinda lost as to what options I should be choosing for the custom install. Any chance of writing up which ones work best?

For the root device error be sure to choose intel ICH* chipset and the ACPI fix..

Get Paul's drivers kexts here:

http://content.modaco.net/paulswinddriverutilitypack.zip

Use this guide to fine tune using paul's kexts to get it up and running:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...f=14&t=1505

I wouldn't worry about the network drivers, the true install files can be found here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...01E/RTL8102E-GR

IMPORTANT NOTE: in iDeneb you'll get stuck at the "Transfer Settings" window because the computer is looking for a network connection..If you choose, "don't transfer settings" you get stuck in a death loop at setup..Unless you have a Time Machine backup handy that you can use or a USB wireless dongle that can run native in OSX, I would order and install your new mini PCIe Wireless card (Dell 1300+ or Broadcom 4321 etc..$15 on ebay) BEFORE installing iDeneb OSX!!

Has anyone tried the Kext? They have uploaded Beta1...does it work? ;)

Thanks :dance_24: . I'm also looking forward to it :) . Still waiting for Kernel...if the Card-Readers will work, we have a nearly perfect Hackbook...oh my God :D ...

I have tried this, and it does not wokr just yet at least, I still get it where OS X things its a PCMCIA card but does nothing with it. So hopefully in the future this will work.

---------

Just a quick question with the iDeneb installer. I now have the most updated version and wondering if you can do all of the Apple updates from this? I would love to be able to as I was going to mess with this on my PC gaming rig to see what kind of real power I can come up with.

Thanks

~Stephen

Ah, still waiting for my wireless card. So I can't even use wired ethernet with iDeneb? I have no choice but to have working wireless before installing? Damn.

Oh, and thanks for the help, too.

Yeah, you'll be able to use wired, but you'll only be able to install using the realtek drivers I included in my post. That will happen only once you get into the GUI.

The problem is the Death Loop after install and during the setup phase at OSX 1st boot..Since there won't be a connection, it will loop..Pretty frustrating..That's why I recommend waiting for your wireless card..

You may be able to find Realtek 8169 kext files and slipstream them into your install disk, but that's beyond my knowledge..

Just a quick question with the iDeneb installer. I now have the most updated version and wondering if you can do all of the Apple updates from this? I would love to be able to as I was going to mess with this on my PC gaming rig to see what kind of real power I can come up with.

I've updated every bit of software (iLife, iWork etc..) BUT, i've been a little scared to mess around with the "Security Update" until I research more info on it..That's only cuz I like Hackintosh so much on this machine that I started to use it as my main OS and have put some important files on it..

I use Vanilla Kernel with cpus=1...Tried voodoo beta kernel with the hopes of fixing the sleep issue but no...I would update anything using the updater without a vanilla kernel..

Well, got it going without ethernet using a workaround from a forum here (other distros were stuck on the "updating your mac" screen too). Everything's working, except I've got the usual problems people have here too.

Really hope sleep will be possible eventually--I plan to take this thing with me and it's annoying to shut down/start up every time. Otherwise, amazing. Many thanks.

Yeah, you'll be able to use wired, but you'll only be able to install using the realtek drivers I included in my post. That will happen only once you get into the GUI.

The problem is the Death Loop after install and during the setup phase at OSX 1st boot..Since there won't be a connection, it will loop..Pretty frustrating..That's why I recommend waiting for your wireless card..

You may be able to find Realtek 8169 kext files and slipstream them into your install disk, but that's beyond my knowledge..

I've updated every bit of software (iLife, iWork etc..) BUT, i've been a little scared to mess around with the "Security Update" until I research more info on it..That's only cuz I like Hackintosh so much on this machine that I started to use it as my main OS and have put some important files on it..

I use Vanilla Kernel with cpus=1...Tried voodoo beta kernel with the hopes of fixing the sleep issue but no...I would update anything using the updater without a vanilla kernel..

Hey quick question as you've done this already....

I've installed everything on speedstep and am really impressed with how smoothly everything works. My only problem is to retype update -v every time I power up....so I'd really like to get the vanilla kernel going. I've followed the instructions to the letter a number of times but I'm doing something wrong.

I can insert cpus=1 between the strings no problem but cant figure out the next step:

Am I supposed to press and hold shift and then :wc ? or just press them in sequence? Do I need to press +?

If I do press the right combination what message is displayed at the bottom of the terminal window? Its driving me crazy.icon7.gif

Thanks.

I have tried this, and it does not wokr just yet at least, I still get it where OS X things its a PCMCIA card but does nothing with it. So hopefully in the future this will work.

Thanks

~Stephen

Hey, SBMac, you solve those shutdown problems yet? I'm having the same ones, where I have to restart and shut down with the power button because i'm getting the panic/error/whatever it is with shutdown.

It definitely has to do with the battery monitor? (i installed the latest version from your most recent link in this thread).. if so, I'll keep it too, as battery info is more important.

Anyone try that InsomniaX method posted a few pages ago to see if sleep would work, or is it fundamentally a kernel issue?

Hey quick question as you've done this already....

I've installed everything on speedstep and am really impressed with how smoothly everything works. My only problem is to retype update -v every time I power up....so I'd really like to get the vanilla kernel going. I've followed the instructions to the letter a number of times but I'm doing something wrong.

I can insert cpus=1 between the strings no problem but cant figure out the next step:

Am I supposed to press and hold shift and then :wc ? or just press them in sequence? Do I need to press +?

If I do press the right combination what message is displayed at the bottom of the terminal window? Its driving me crazy.icon7.gif

Thanks.

In Editor you have pressed ESC to leave the insert mode. Then type " :wq " without the "" .the ":" is saying there are comming commands. the "w" is for writing the file and the "q" is for leaving the editor. you can type also :w and :q it is the same.

Thanks for the update and answer, when I get this going on the gaming rig I have I will let you know how the update goes. I have done the security update on my Aspire one without a problem, not using the iDeneb.

Hey, SBMac, you solve those shutdown problems yet? I'm having the same ones, where I have to restart and shut down with the power button because i'm getting the panic/error/whatever it is with shutdown.

It definitely has to do with the battery monitor? (i installed the latest version from your most recent link in this thread).. if so, I'll keep it too, as battery info is more important.

Anyone try that InsomniaX method posted a few pages ago to see if sleep would work, or is it fundamentally a kernel issue?

As far as this is going, I am still waiting for an update to the BatteryManager that someone else is working on in the forums. I was able to identify this as the source of the shutdown kernel panic. Why it does it? I have not idea, but hoping for a new update soon..

~Stephen

Update/question...

Does anyone know of where I can find either a type of sticker, or something to put on the keys of the keyboard for the correct Apple layout? I hate looking at this stupid winblows logo, and I am converting my blue aspire one into a pearl white one with OEM parts I got on ebay....

SBMac = still waiting also for the Battery Manager ;) everytime I plugin the kext file the battery meter will show but if your restart it will auto remove the meter hahahahahha

PS

I already have replace my WIFI with Dell 1490 works well without doing any kext mod. ( got it from dell latitude d520 ) :dev: