GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

DSDT tables are the only way to got 100% working Vanilla kernel without any kexts and patches. There are stories about guys who succeeded to get GPUs working only with DSDT patching. I was wondering if someone can install BSD and then get the DSDT table from it, will be there any differences...?!?!?! :o

DSDT tables are the only way to got 100% working Vanilla kernel without any kexts and patches. There are stories about guys who succeeded to get GPUs working only with DSDT patching. I was wondering if someone can install BSD and then get the DSDT table from it, will be there any differences...?!?!?! :hysterical:

These were already supported cards.. x4500m is too different from x3100 ... DSDT can't help you stayin vanilla if you have not support in kernel for the hardware.. 

I was doing some looking around on the web today. Seems OpenCL is not supported by the Intel GPUs that well...

http://netkas.org/?p=164

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/opencl..._graphics_cards

So if QE is tied to OpenCL we will be outta luck for it in Snow Leopard.

Intel x3100 chipsets are working with natural support for QE in SNOW.. cpu + gpu are getting the QE enabled, but in this case we have only cpu and a similar gpu but not the same as x3100.. it's a shame, cause x4500 gpus are slightly better than the older ones under any circumstances on other operative systems 

Intel x3100 chipsets are working with natural support for QE in SNOW.. cpu + gpu are getting the QE enabled, but in this case we have only cpu and a similar gpu but not the same as x3100.. it's a shame, cause x4500 gpus are slightly better than the older ones under any circumstances on other operative systems 

This it right. Maybe the main different is the support of Shader version 4.0. The 4500 card is much better than X3100 but...that`s it, only native resolution on Mac :)

has anyone tried to get the other 2 devices in the chipset working.2a42 is just one part there also is 2a43 and 2a40.just a thought

BTW some days ago I saw those two devices too. 2a43 is a display controller too, and the 2a40 is a host bridge or some.

Well I got 10.6.2 running on my Acer 1410, I have yet to try the .kext way and just gone with the grub boot patch. My 1510 dell card isn't here yet so I'm tethering my ipod touch for wifi.

I'm trying apps and stuff to see what works and what doesn't. Not having QE does really hamper the machine, however there are apps that can replace the ones that don't.

Luckily my cpu is alot faster then an Atom so it is not too bad. As for the 4500MHD gpu it is alot better then the 3100. I was amazed how well games played under ***dows7.

Anyhow more testing and researching for me.....I will update if I find anything interesting....

there a re two approches possible in my opinio:

1- make a kext for x4500 hardware (very difficult)

2- make the x4500 work like a x3100.. i'm looking at the former datasheets, and I have to say those chips are different but not too much..

in both cases we need a coder

Does anyone know how to disassemble and/or decompile a video bios dump file from this card? I tried with IDA, buy it keeps asking me for an entry point, and I don't know how to recognize an entry point.

entry point should be the initial memory landmark for the bios.. it starts disassembling from that ignition point, so needs to know the real first bit. I'm on a travel, you should look at the intel datasheets, there is a clue about that, i'm almost sure i have seen it before. 

Would be nice to run x4500 like a x3100, injecting the bios...

entry point should be the initial memory landmark for the bios.. it starts disassembling from that ignition point, so needs to know the real first bit. I'm on a travel, you should look at the intel datasheets, there is a clue about that, i'm almost sure i have seen it before.

Would be nice to run x4500 like a x3100, injecting the bios...

Thank you!!! I'm gonna read it. It says about the Video BIOS ROM base adress something like this:

Address offset:30-33h

Default value: 00000000h

Acces: RO

bit 31:18: ROM base address, hardwired to 0.

bit 17:11: Address mask, hardwired to 0's to indicate 256-KB address range.

Here are the links to the datasheets and updates (open with firefox, cause sometimes don't work with ie), just in case someone wants to help to figure it out:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/320122.pdf

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/320123.pdf

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/316972.pdf

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/316973.pdf

page 397 first document... now we need somebody to understand this chip.. it's quite strange to me.. however RO means read only, so no injection is possible at this level nor changes :(

proceeding investigations in this datasheets

let's see the difference between Chipset 4 (gmax4500___) and Chipset 3 series (gmax3100___)

--- note..

try start point in 00000000h

You guys mean to flash the graphics bios with some like the X3100, and then the system will recognize the GPU like X3100, or I`m wrong?

Ok.. at first try I would only replace hardware description with the x3100 one ... tought intel doesn't develop a lot on graphic cards and looking at the datasheets, 4500 is only a better version but basis is the same. Would be nice to lie about hardware specs, this should make snowleo load the 3100 kext into kernel, and consider it a native video chip.. the problem is that there we have a RO (read-only) feature, so I still have no idea how to bypass that.. 

wuold be great to have a working x4500m bios decompiled, just to see if there is something interesting about labbeling (hw + sw) this gpu..  :thumbsup_anim:

Always posting these {censored} fake kexts with no explanation guys don't trust those {censored}s there is no qe/ci so far for oure video card :dev:

Let make the bios/install believe our hw is a 3100 this can be the correct approach I trust you brave guys! :)

They made something similar for the bcm wifi cards so this may be possible..I hope.. Maybe you can ask them for some hints (I keep me outside this as Idon't know anything about this stuff but I give my full avavailabilty for any testings you need! I am an expert reinstalling, restoring images and so on now.. :doh: :D )

Bye all and keep caring of all this please! :)