GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Intel HD video is the on-die GPU integrated in i5/i7s

sorry but they are different from 4500MHD

now the question is how close these two are....

They are different but they also aren't much different. While it is true they are not the same GPU paradigm, rather than making a huge step forward, intel just borrowed heavily from the off die 4500 and put it on the same CPU. So there is not a significant difference between the x4500 and the GM45 aka GMA5700 GPU's.

From what my source is telling me (that works on intel GMA/UMA drivers at on of the -other- PC Mfgs), they are quite similar.

In THEORY they should be highly portable but that is only in theory. At least from what he is telling me that is similar to what they are doing over where he is working for testing purposes. I've already tried recruiting him to help us but he's busy working on Windoze stuff :-\

Hi everybody. I am relatively new to osx86, but not new to osx in general. My iMac died a while back, but I have built my first hackintosh! Everything is running wonderfully, except the video... of course. I will be getting a GPU very soon, but the onboard graphics will have to do for the time being, and I am very interesting in helping the developers test anything that rolls out, even after I get a fully compatible graphics card. The help I have received so far from this forum has been invaluable, and I hope to give something back, and maybe get better graphics response in the meatime.

So you know where I am coming from, I have an onboard Intel GMA x4500 on a Gigabyte G41M-ES2H.

By modifying Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist I have managed 1280x1024. Other than that, I'm ready to help!

Thanks.

Hi everybody. I am relatively new to osx86, but not new to osx in general. My iMac died a while back, but I have built my first hackintosh! Everything is running wonderfully, except the video... of course. I will be getting a GPU very soon, but the onboard graphics will have to do for the time being, and I am very interesting in helping the developers test anything that rolls out, even after I get a fully compatible graphics card. The help I have received so far from this forum has been invaluable, and I hope to give something back, and maybe get better graphics response in the meatime.

So you know where I am coming from, I have an onboard Intel GMA x4500 on a Gigabyte G41M-ES2H.

By modifying Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist I have managed 1280x1024. Other than that, I'm ready to help!

Thanks.

Sorry, you have the desktop version of the x4500. The drivers supplied by Apple are for mobile.

should it be different? 9600GT from the previous model Macbook Pro are mobile too but we can use 9600GT desktop version?

or is it different if from intel? please enlighten us.

Sorry, you have the desktop version of the x4500. The drivers supplied by Apple are for mobile.

should it be different? 9600GT from the previous model Macbook Pro are mobile too but we can use 9600GT desktop version?

or is it different if from intel? please enlighten us.

yes, integrated GPUs from Intel differ in their desktop and mobile versions. someone asked a simmilar question here, and as you can see, they're incompatible :( .

1.) Do you really think that with this "drivers" from Apple we will get the QE support?

We do not know that yet, but if we get that framebuffer kext working, that would be a good start. Another idea of mine would be to make hybrid x3100/gma hd FrankenKexts, so that we mix them in a way that results in something usable. Now, the problem with that would be that it would require a lot of testing, and due to the fact that I am very busy with school, I cannot do all those tests.

2.) Do this drivers will run on 10.5 Leopard?

No, absolutely no, the release notes from the graphics update clearly state that at least 10.6.3 is required.

Don't ever do that. Only if you really need to... Why don't you give a try to a linux distro?? I mean, you have practically everything that you would want in windows. I'd recommend ubuntu or fedora...

it's like nothing gonna happen. :lol:

everyday thinking about switching to WindowZzz.. but, hope dies last :D

Yes, I totally agree with you... That's why I want OSX in my laptop. I can't stand windows, not even the new 7... For now i'm using ubuntu, hoping there will be a fix for the QE/CI in the near future. I don't want to, but if it proves to be impossible to get this card going, I think i'll have to go for a macbook, which I'll sincerley avoid, given the fact I've purchased this laptop in october...

Yep, Linux is good step, BUT most of the good and professional software is writen for windows and mac!

Yep, Linux is good step, BUT most of the good and professional software is writen for windows and mac!

There's a strange conflict between Adobe and Apple nowadays. Apple is abandoning flash (you know there's no flash support in new iPads) and has a tendency to write own applcations only for it's own OS recently. For example:

iWork > office suite (for eliminating MS Office and Open Office)

Logic is the best piece of software already I've ever seen for music production for years(and the main reason for me to get into osx 86 business).

Final Cut is just like Logic.

And there are iPhoto and iLife on the line.

And Adobe is aware of that 'my way or high way' situation I think.

But, if Adobe released a linux version of Adobe CS Master Collection, then no graphic guy would buy an expensive mac I think.

Because a well ported linux application always performs best rather than Mac OS X or Windows.

For example give Linux version of Google Chrome a try. It flies übersonic.

By the way, x4500 support needs the hands of professional guys like netkas or uphuck I think. These recent IntelHD drivers must work in a way for this 4500 thing.

Thanks for all the hard work, and I can't wait until this gets fixed =) I'm using a emachine e725-4520 with gma4500 integrated graphics, and I'm willing to test or help in any way I can. Thanks in advance.

OK, so does anyone trying something, or what? Is there any progress with patching the kext, or porting the device ids?

My knowledge about code, or hex editing, or developing i s very very low,BUT I can suggest u what what ideas I have to the guys who know HOW TO code, or hex editing.

My card is now shown like GMA4500M in the System Profiler. That is result of adding GFX0 fix in the DSDT.aml file.

So now we need to import 0x2a428086 device id, in the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext just like someone did it in the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.

According the netkas.org blog, the new AppleIntelHD....kext has 3 device ids. In the System info, the G45 chip has 3 device ids too: 2a42 as Graphics adapter, 2a43 as Graphics adapteh and 2a40 as host bridge or something. Make attention ot that! DO NOT try change the device ids ONLY in the .plist files included in the kext packages.

Later I can post the DSDT fix if someone need it.