Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

I've managed to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on an Abit NF M2 (nForce MCP51) with the forcedeth package that came with the DVD image.

The version listed with kstat is triton.forcedeth 1.0.0d2.

Looks like it is seeing the nforce network layer as there is an ethernet device and mac address, but no connection is being made.

I've also tried the 0.3 forcedeth listed on the first page here.

I can load it or the nock version without error, but no en0 device is created.

The board is using a Realtek 8211 ( RTL8211BL ).

Q1: Do I still need to hack a device id for the Realtek in forcedeth, or do I need an additional driver for the Realtek (as in Windows)?

Q2: After loading forcedeth kext using the commands in the package, should en0 automatically show up or is there another step to refresh the kernel to build it?

As a follow up to my follow up I'm now using the .3 forcedeth-nock kext listed on the front page with success.

The one strange hiccup was when I tried to install the kext using kext helper it caused immediate lock-up of the system and I couldn't recover until I booted into single user mode and removed the kext.

Awesomely enough a manual install went just fine.

Go team go!

Crashed the first time i tried using this driver (though i think that was my fault due to me playin with network settings at the same time)

Rebooted, started over, works great, great speeds, i thank you :D

EDIT : Hmm..take that back...leopard keeps doing a hard lock up since installing this =/

EDIT Again : Using cpus=1 at boot (as others on here do) works fine, thanks again!

Crashed the first time i tried using this driver (though i think that was my fault due to me playin with network settings at the same time)

Rebooted, started over, works great, great speeds, i thank you :)

EDIT : Hmm..take that back...leopard keeps doing a hard lock up since installing this =/

EDIT Again : Using cpus=1 at boot (as others on here do) works fine, thanks again!

If you try moving larger bandwidth across the network it will crash (~150mbs+).

hi all !

i have a MSI K9N Platinum, chipset nforce 570 at my work

i try the kext posted in the first page, the network works correctly, but when i try to download anything more than 200kb, the computer crash.

Anyone knows why is this ? i know it's a common bug

Cheers

tebi

I have MSI K9N Platinum (nForce 570) and this trouble too

System freeze when I trying download files from the network (smb:// ftp:// )

Please help.....

P.S. Sorry for my English

Hi, i've got some problems using forcedeth 0.3.

I've got Leo 10.5.2 with ToH 9.2.0_sse2_only kernel. My MB is ASUS A8N-SLI(not deluxe one, just standard) and athlon64 3500+

My system works just fine, except the network.

With forcedeth v0.1 I've got random kernel panics about every 3-4 hours with intermediate load on my network, and it just crashes after I start any network application which uses many connections (like transmission with more than 3 torrents).

Forcedeth v0.3 works just fine too... I've followed the guide and tested on working system, and my system had no kernel panics for 3 day, even with VERY high load on network (I've tested it on moving huge files over local network, connecting to many peers (100+) and allowing 100+ peers to connect to my system at once. Si I though that I can use it instead of old one. So i removed old forcedeth.kext, copied a new one, changed permissions and cleared cache.

And after reboot my system stops loading at determining fireware security level... After waiting for about 30 minutes i've rebooted my system and lost my IDE hard drive, sata ones were still there! Shutting my Pc down solved the problem with ide hdd. And every time I try to boot with forcedeth0.3 my ide hdd stops working %) and I have to shut down my pc for some time.

So I had to remove new forcedeth and use the old one. My system logs show that everything's fine and no kernel panics appear. The forcedeth03.kext loads successfully, but everything stops at the loading fireware kexts and shutting down my ata hdd...

Can anyone give me some advice or had anybody same problems?

Hello!

Install was successful, but I still can't see Ethernet.

Log:

daniils-mac-pro:Release dan$ cd ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release

daniils-mac-pro:Release dan$ sudo chown -R root:wheel forcedeth.kext

daniils-mac-pro:Release dan$ sudo chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

daniils-mac-pro:Release dan$ sudo kextload -v forcedeth.kext

extension forcedeth.kext has potential problems:

Warnings

{

"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true

}

kextload: extension forcedeth.kext appears to be loadable

kextload: loading extension forcedeth.kext

kextload: forcedeth.kext loaded successfully

kextload: sending personalities to kernel:

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext:

kextload: IONetworkStack

kextload: Kernel Debugging Driver

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext:

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI

kextload: from extension /Users/dan/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext:

kextload: nForce 4 LAN

kextload: sending 6 personalities to the kernel

kextload: matching started for forcedeth.kext

And:

May 21 17:57:48 daniils-mac-pro login[219]: USER_PROCESS: 219 ttys001

May 21 17:58:34 daniils-mac-pro sudo[229]: dan : TTY=ttys001 ; PWD=/Users/dan/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/chown -R root:wheel forcedeth.kext

May 21 17:59:08 daniils-mac-pro sudo[230]: dan : TTY=ttys001 ; PWD=/Users/dan/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

May 21 17:59:19 daniils-mac-pro sudo[231]: dan : TTY=ttys001 ; PWD=/Users/dan/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload -v forcedeth.kext

I'm don't see any errors, but It's still don't a work!

Anybody can help me with this problem?

Dear Friends,

I have Asrock K8NF6G-VSTA motherboard with Realtek PHY RTL8201CL / NVidia MCP61 network controller (10DE-03EF, 1849-03EF). This commands:

sudo kextload-v forcedeth.kext

sudo kextload-v forcedeth-nockd.kext

give freezing of MacOS 10.5.2 (Leo4allv3), even with DHCP enabled on my router (I tried forcedeth_0.3_leopard.zip). Whether It is possible to solve this problem? Many thanks!

Can anyone help. I installed kalyway 10.5.2 on a Dell optiplex gx270. Everything looks great until I open a browser

( safari or firefox ). I get a kernal panic box telling me I have to power cycle my pc.

Hi, i've got some problems using forcedeth 0.3.

I've got Leo 10.5.2 with ToH 9.2.0_sse2_only kernel. My MB is ASUS A8N-SLI(not deluxe one, just standard) and athlon64 3500+

My system works just fine, except the network.

With forcedeth v0.1 I've got random kernel panics about every 3-4 hours with intermediate load on my network, and it just crashes after I start any network application which uses many connections (like transmission with more than 3 torrents).

Forcedeth v0.3 works just fine too... I've followed the guide and tested on working system, and my system had no kernel panics for 3 day, even with VERY high load on network (I've tested it on moving huge files over local network, connecting to many peers (100+) and allowing 100+ peers to connect to my system at once. Si I though that I can use it instead of old one. So i removed old forcedeth.kext, copied a new one, changed permissions and cleared cache.

And after reboot my system stops loading at determining fireware security level... After waiting for about 30 minutes i've rebooted my system and lost my IDE hard drive, sata ones were still there! Shutting my Pc down solved the problem with ide hdd. And every time I try to boot with forcedeth0.3 my ide hdd stops working %) and I have to shut down my pc for some time.

So I had to remove new forcedeth and use the old one. My system logs show that everything's fine and no kernel panics appear. The forcedeth03.kext loads successfully, but everything stops at the loading fireware kexts and shutting down my ata hdd...

Can anyone give me some advice or had anybody same problems?

I'm having similar problems. After I install the driver the system wouldn't boot up. It just stops and with -v flag there is not much to do because it manages to run the boot sequence sometimes more sometimes less. So I have to manually execute (but not install) the kext in terminal every boot to connect.

Abit KN8 Ultra

Athlon X2 3800+

4GB RAM

160GB SATA

ATI Radeon HD 2600XT

Dual Display 1280x1024 with QE/CI

Onboard nForce4 LAN

Logitech MX Revolution

Zephyroth's Leopard-10 5 2-AMD-EFI-Rev2

...my problem is that I cant configure standard LAN, I have Asus M2N-E SLi MoBo with TP-Linh 543G AccessPoint Router, they're connected throu' LAN with DHCP Enabled, range between 192.168.1.100-199 with no other settings. How to enable LAN, in Network there is no LAN settings, I've tried forcedeth, & forcedeth-v that came with leo4all v3?

I even tried files atached on this forum, all thou didn't manage to run two terminal windows at the same time, ( maybe I'm too noobish ) lol!

Any help?

Thnx in advanced, cheers...

an intresting note is that this leopard r3 on the front page of this thread there, while it works on my GA-M61SME-S2 which is a MCP61 ethernet chipset - forcedeth_0.3_leopard.zip - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=26485 - it doesnt work well

so i have bandwidth limits that are unusable - i think the max i have gotten out of the patched lan connectin is 12K

usually it gives me 2K

running a ping on a empty network segment through the card gives me 8 packets at decent latency (0.something ms), then one packet with a latency thats quite large (anywhere from 20 something ms to 200ms)

in dev mode i get about 12 groups of these bunches of nine before it goes through and dies in the ass with no packets getting in or out

in normal mode it has lasted for hours...

i used the forcedeth-nock and nockd (i presume the d stands for debug mode or dev mode...)

i tried manually setting the details in my network controll pan as well, semed to have little or no effect

anyway - that was friday night, and i figured i would play with what was avaliable before going to the shop and buying a network card today being saturday - so i hope the observations of my evenings playing help you guys out a little

btw, i would have gone out anyway as i wanted to get gigabit networking so dont feel bad that i am giving up on your driver, i am not...

actually i will probably pop back and see if you want any further info thisevening...

thanks and good luck

Alright, before I drive myself completely mad I'd like to bounce my experience with this driver off of the people who could help me.

forcedeth: Initializing.

forcedeth: Probing.

Starting.

forcedeth: PCI subsystem 0x1043:0x8141 opened.

forcedeth: Mapped from 0xD2100000 of length 4096.

forcedeth: Allocated 3072 bytes of contiguous memory for DMA: rx at 0x34d22000, tx at 0x34d22400, wired at 0x2902e000.

forcedeth: Found nForce4 LAN with MAC: 00:15:F2:50:EF:C6.

forcedeth: Found PHY 0x3080:0x000c at address 9.

com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:15:f2:50:ef:c6

That's basically what I get when I load the kext. If the addresses look familiar, it's the example that planetbeing left at some point in the thread. Everytime I load the kext, my machine locks up and requires a hard reset. It finds my interface and loads it, but it never enables and locks up my machine. I'm super confused right now and could use some help!

THANKS!

It's time for me to write again :)

I have a DFI infinity nforce 4 mbo, 5000+ x2 BE, 4gb ddr2 ram. I installed Leo4Allv3, it all worked straight out after install (I used recomended nforce lan driver), but I keep having random lock-ups of my sistem (computer just freezes). Tried booting with maxmem=2048 and with cpus=1, but it didnt help.

I tried manually installing all lan drivers that could help me (skge, forcedeth, forcedeth 02 and 03) but it also didnt help. All drivers accept forcedeth didnt even work ( i couldnt even install them using the method from the first post in this thread, my computer would just stop - i was able to use mouse but i couldnt open or do anything accept moving the mouse around)

Only forcedeth works for me but it keeps randomly freezing my computer. My mbo has Marvell 88E1115 Gigabit Lan.

Can anyone please help me with this, or give me advice on wath to do/try next?

Thanks

Hi,

i also had the reversed MAC and wrong DHCP address problem.

MB:Gigabyte GA-73UM

Device Id:0x07dc (10de)

Could someone put my device-id in the source and recompile for leo?

Could not get a mac-compiler-environment without working network :rolleyes:

I have my eithernet working with the nforce.kext but only when I boot with cpus=1, after a while it stops working as well.

Anyone have any luck with this network card on a P5N-D?

NVIDIA nForce® 750i SLI built-in Gigabit MAC with external PHY

Hello all,I own a ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA board, which has the MCP61.Forcedeth (even 0.3) doesn't work for me, but I found another nForce driver, here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73317

Needed to edit Info.plist file inside the kext, and using cpus=1 on boot, this driver works great for me!still looking for a driver to be able to use 2 cores..., but atleast I have a working LAN controller at high speed

Hi,i also had the reversed MAC and wrong DHCP address problem.MB:Gigabyte GA-73UMDevice Id:0x07dc (10de)Could someone put my device-id in the source and recompile for leo?Could not get a mac-compiler-environment without working network ;)
eeh, not 100% sure if it works, but try this:open the kext (show package contents), and look for the Info.plist filesomewhere inside the file you can easily add your device id

IF YOURE GETTING A "SELF-ASSIGNED IP"!!!

All you gotta do:

Boot with -s:
/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /system/library/extensions
rm -r force*
exit

Then use kext helper to reinstall it. Reboot and you should be good to go. This is what I do to get it working. For the past 20 boots I get my proper working IP.

Please someone help me!

It doesn't work to me AT ALL.

everything seems to be ok during the install but when it finishes, it gets stuck and nothing happens. I tried to wait, but nothing happened.

I got no errors. I simply get stuck at the end.

Then I always have to reboot manually, and there's no fu****g driver.

:)

Did it happen to anyone else but me?

Thanks.