Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

Can anyone help. I installed kalyway 10.5.2 on a Dell optiplex gx270. Everything looks great until I open a browser

( safari or firefox ). I get a kernal panic box telling me I have to power cycle my pc.

I also have a GX270 with 10.5.2 and I am seeing the same results also with Opera.

I have also tried a different video card (GeForce FX5500) with the same results.

I am thinking it is the LAN driver or it's configuration. It is able to pull a page or two usually before causing the kernel panic. Perhaps it has to do with an interrupt or DMA resource not being handled properly but that is only a guess.

Hey !

I've got a problem too using forcedeth on ASUS M2N4 SLI with Tub Girl tiger

Here it is, I have this error when typing this in the Terminal :

kextload -v /Users/Virgil/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext

Here is the error :

kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThermal.kext is not valid
kextload: extension /Users/Virgil/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /Users/Virgil/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext
kextload: extension /Users/Virgil/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext is already loaded

Any idea ? thx

After I install the driver the system wouldn't boot up. It just stops and with -v flag there is not much to do because it manages to run the boot sequence sometimes more sometimes less. So I have to manually execute (but not install) the kext in terminal every boot to connect.

Abit KN8 Ultra

Athlon X2 3800+

4GB RAM

160GB SATA

ATI Radeon HD 2600XT

Dual Display 1280x1024 with QE/CI

Onboard nForce4 LAN

Logitech MX Revolution

Zephyroth's Leopard-10 5 2-AMD-EFI-Rev2

Okay, what works for me is if I only load the forcedeth0.2 (computer would not boot up when installed). Also I have to have forcedeth.kext or forcedeth-nockd.kext installed (though they would cause kernel panics when cpus=1 is not used) or the system would freeze when loading forcedeth0.2. So I created a shell script with automator that will run at every login:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

echo "password" | sudo -S kextunload forcedeth-nockd.kext (or forcedeth.kext, depends which one is installed)

cd ~/Library/forcedeth/build/Release (this line will point to where your forcedeth folder is placed, I have it in my user library folder)

echo "password" | sudo -S chown -R root:wheel forcedeth.kext

echo "password" | sudo -S chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

echo "password" | sudo -S kextload -v forcedeth.kext

Replace every "password" with your password without quotation marks.

You could test this in terminal before creating a script.

Sometimes after a crash the system would freeze when loading a forcedeth0.2 kext but after a restart it works just fine.

This is just a short description how I managed to get forcedeth to work with both cores, maybe someone else will find something useful from this replay. In other words I can't install forcedeth 0.2 or 0.3 and this is my workaround. At least no more kernel panics.

Anyone get jumbo frames to work with the nForce4 LAN driver? I checked out the latest source code and it most certainly is a port of the linux driver. In fact I found the exact spot where it sets the maximum MTU..which is my problem.

All my gigabit equipment run in jumbo frames (I dont need the argument, I know enough to get it going correctly without connectivity issues, and it IS faster). The particular line of code is in there, but it's setting it to a constant value of some sort--possibly related to Mac OS API. Otherwise there's a set value of 9202 or something. Identical to the linux port...

Great except mac barfs when i set a mtu over 9000.

So has anyone gotten their card to go above the 1500 typical limit? I know my particular card goes to 9000 as it works in both linux and windows.

Hi I have a Hp pavillion a1730n install went great everyhing works but the ethernet... I have asus board built in ethernet:nvidia nforce networking controller (my complete specs [url="http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-12932758-78159005.html"[/url]

Here is my terminal log when I input the commands on page 3 for the forcedeth

Terminal:

bash-3.2# chown -R root:wheel ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext
bash-3.2# chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext
bash-3.2# kextload -v ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext
kextload: extension /Users/Matt/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: loading extension /Users/Matt/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext
kextload: /Users/Matt/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext loaded successfully
kextload: sending personalities to kernel:
kextload:	 from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext:
kextload:		 IONetworkStack
kextload:		 Kernel Debugging Driver
kextload:	 from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext:
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI
kextload:	 from extension /Users/Matt/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext:
kextload:		 nForce 4 LAN
kextload: sending 6 personalities to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /Users/Matt/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext
bash-3.2#

My system log:

Last login: Wed Jun 11 08:18:37 on ttys001
matt-ryans-macpro31:~ Matt$ tail -f /var/log/system.log
Jun 11 08:15:40 matt-ryans-macpro31 login[166]: USER_PROCESS: 166 ttys000
Jun 11 08:15:51 matt-ryans-macpro31 sudo[178]:	 Matt : TTY=ttys000; PWD=/Users/Matt; USER=root; COMMAND=/bin/bash
Jun 11 08:16:01 matt-ryans-macpro31 mdworker[153]: (Error) SyncInfo: Boot-cache avoidance timed out!
Jun 11 08:16:05 matt-ryans-macpro31 kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=179[mdworker] clearing CS_VALID
Jun 11 08:16:05 matt-ryans-macpro31 kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=180[mdworker] clearing CS_VALID
Jun 11 08:17:31 matt-ryans-macpro31 kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=187[lssave] clearing CS_VALID
Jun 11 08:17:45 matt-ryans-macpro31 kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI: no valid selfIDs for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.
Jun 11 08:18:37 matt-ryans-macpro31 login[188]: USER_PROCESS: 188 ttys001
Jun 11 08:18:39 matt-ryans-macpro31 login[188]: DEAD_PROCESS: 188 ttys001
Jun 11 08:18:45 matt-ryans-macpro31 login[199]: USER_PROCESS: 199 ttys001
Jun 11 08:20:57 matt-ryans-macpro31 kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI: no valid selfIDs for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.

It thinks that my ethernet is actually Firewire and Don't know how to fix this. Thank you if you could help

How did you get your internet to work? I have the same motherboard (asus m2n) but it doesnt work. It doesnt even detect the card (i use kalyway 10.5.2)

I use Leo4All...

I detect my card by using forcedeth.kext.zip and THIS instruction:

Place kext in desktop

(in terminal)

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel ~/Desktop/forcedeth.kext

chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop/forcedeth.kext

kextload -v ~/Desktop/forcedeth.kext

But I see only loop with

forcedeth: packet 80000000 - 8000062e

after that my system hangs up.

I use Leo4All...

I detect my card by using forcedeth.kext.zip and THIS instruction:

Place kext in desktop

(in terminal)

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel ~/Desktop/forcedeth.kext

chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop/forcedeth.kext

kextload -v ~/Desktop/forcedeth.kext

But I see only loop with

forcedeth: packet 80000000 - 8000062e

after that my system hangs up.

Ok, will try that. I think you have to boot with cpus=1 to fix it

I have a perfectly running built-in MAC lan on my Nforce 790i SLI Ultra with the attached Forcedeth kext. BTW I installed my 10.5.2 from Leo4Allv3. Although I have not installed the 10.5.3 combo update but I DID however updated all my kexts to 10.5.3 kexts.

Let me know if the attached kext helps someone :(

My current flags are -f cpus=1.

forcedeth.kext.zip

Hi i just bought the board [Asus Striker II Formula] 4 days ago and now am running 10.5.2 using iATKOS v2

It would be gr8 if i can get a solution from one of u gurus for my problem ; whis is the network cards dont show up i used the nForceEthernetController.kext which ended up showin me one lan and one wifi port i guess i used the wrong one..

and now i found this post , got forcedeath and my card is not comming up here is the o/p

[0]: forcedeth: Initializing.

[0]: forcedeth: Probing.

[0]: forcedeth: WARNING - your nVidia device 0x10DE:0x0373 is not known to work. Continuing anyway...

[0]: forcedeth: Starting.

[0]: forcedeth: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0373, subsystem 0x1043:0xCB84 opened.

[0]: forcedeth: Mapped from 0xEFFFA000 of length 4096.

[0]: forcedeth: Allocated 3072 bytes of contiguous memory for DMA: rx at 0x5aa60000, tx at 0x5aa60400, wired at 0x2fb6f000.

[0]: forcedeth: Found nForce4 LAN with MAC: 00:1F:C6:49:66:0B.

[0]: forcedeth: Found PHY 0x5040:0x0003 at address 1.

[0]: forcedeth: Initializing.

[0]: forcedeth: Probing.

[0]: forcedeth: WARNING - your nVidia device 0x10DE:0x0373 is not known to work. Continuing anyway...

[0]: forcedeth: Starting.

[0]: forcedeth: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0373, subsystem 0x1043:0xCB84 opened.

[0]: forcedeth: Mapped from 0xEFFF7000 of length 4096.

[0]: forcedeth: Allocated 3072 bytes of contiguous memory for DMA: rx at 0x5abd2000, tx at 0x5abd2400, wired at 0x2ed70000.

[0]: forcedeth: Found nForce4 LAN with MAC: 00:1F:C6:49:70:99.

[0]: forcedeth: Found PHY 0x5040:0x0003 at address 1.

[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:1f:c6:49:66:0b

[0]: forcedeth: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

[0]: forcedeth: Starting transmit/receive engines

[0]: forcedeth: Network link down.

[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:1f:c6:49:70:99

[0]: forcedeth: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

[0]: forcedeth: Starting transmit/receive engines

[0]: forcedeth: Network link down.

and also this is needed i guess

Warnings

{

"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true

}

kextload: extension forcedeth.kext appears to be loadable

kextload: loading extension forcedeth.kext

kextload: forcedeth.kext loaded successfully

kextload: sending personalities to kernel:

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext:

kextload: IONetworkStack

kextload: Kernel Debugging Driver

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext:

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI

kextload: from extension /Users/macosx/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext:

kextload: nForce 4 LAN

kextload: sending 6 personalities to the kernel

kextload: matching started for forcedeth.kext

pls tel me what i need to do

Hi,

After many tests i made 3 little scripts to make my MCP61 Ethernet work.

I used forcedeth driver from Andrewneo (but my computer froze when I downloaded a file)

I used forcedeth 0.3c from planetbeing (but it froze my computer when i launched the driver (both forcedeth & forcedeth-nockd)

Now i melt the two driver and my connection work (without the cpus=1 flag)

Just unzip the attachement on desktop and it works fine, launch the Internet, internet 2 & internet 3 scripts.

I'm looking for an easier solution, so if you can help me...

forcedethMCP61.zip

Hello Im new at this. I just got os x leopard running on my computer WOooHOoooo! But I had no networking. So I tried version 3 and 2 of the driver posted and when i tried version 3 I got to step 9 and when i entered the command a window apeared saying "A new network interface has been detected" :blink: then everything froze :( . Whats wrong? I tryed it like 5 different times and the same thing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Asus M2NPV-VM board with onboard nForce4 NIC that I can not for the life of me get working... The device ID isn't in the plists in forcedeth, so I added it (0x026910DE), and it recognizes the card, picks up the MAC address and everything, but the link never comes up. It works fine in Windows, so I know it's not a physical problem. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Hello. Dude26 your solution is working for me. I have Asus M2N motherboard and Kalyway 10.5.2 amd installed. Both cores working, no freezing since yesterday. Planetbeing's 0.3 forcedeth-nock used to work with this MB with Zephyroth's 10.5.2 installed. Anyway thx for this.