Voodoo 9.5 Kernel Beta 1 Available Now

102 posts in this topic

What are some of the 64bit software I can try because I tried to run 64bit Geekbench and an error came up "You cannot open the application, Geekbench 64bit.app because it is not supported on this architecture", this program works with 9.22 modbin kernel though.

What are some of the 64bit software I can try because I tried to run 64bit Geekbench and an error came up "You cannot open the application, Geekbench 64bit.app because it is not supported on this architecture", this program works with 9.22 modbin kernel though.

Geekbench is an very good and easy 64 test. Runs, error message like you have (problem) or crash(problem), I had only crashes with modbin kernels.

Your error message teel us: OS X thinks its not an 64 Bit CPU and reports that to all 64 Bit apps.

use sysctl -a and look in the output for all values with ....64, i think some will be 0 (disabled). If your Bios has some 64 Bit Options , check that and sure set it to ENABLED!

hw.cpu64bit_capable: 1

hw.optional.x86_64: 1

Please use the shell command files within the Vbeta1 files and submit the zipped results to the developer (or here).

Sleep/Resume Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [X] With issues

in combination with EHCISleepEnabler.kext by Superhai sleeps for a second and then wakes up by itself. Otherwise seems to work fine. Hibernate mode set to 0 (to avoid sleepimage file).

EHCISleepEnabler.kext works fine with vanilla kernel.

Sleeping closing the lid only works with ClamshellDisplay.kext (not related with the kernel)

TSC stability Passed: [_] Yes [X] No [_] With issues

'Start time local:

Sat Oct 4 09:07:23 UTC 2008

Start time NIST:

telnet: connect to address 192.43.244.18: Operation timed out

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Sleeping for 100 seconds'

TSC_Stability.txt is empty. My internet connection seems to work fine....

Speedstep.kext 1.3.2, 64bit mode working fine.

My system is vanilla capable (C2D T7250/965GM). Is there any adventages from the Voodoo kernel over the vanilla one in such a machines?

Geekbench is an very good and easy 64 test. Runs, error message like you have (problem) or crash(problem), I had only crashes with modbin kernels.

Your error message teel us: OS X thinks its not an 64 Bit CPU and reports that to all 64 Bit apps.

use sysctl -a and look in the output for all values with ....64, i think some will be 0 (disabled). If your Bios has some 64 Bit Options , check that and sure set it to ENABLED!

Please use the shell command files within the Vbeta1 files and submit the zipped results to the developer (or here).

O.K, I've tried a few more kernels with geekbench 64bit and no success. Tried 9.40 modin, Voodoo 9.4 and 9.5, vanilla 9.5.5 and more. It only wants to work with 9.22 modbin.

Some of the commands you mentioned like "use sysctl -a", I am not sure I understand them all, but I'll try, are they commands I should enter at start up (f8)?

O.K, I've tried a few more kernels with geekbench 64bit and no success. Tried 9.40 modin, Voodoo 9.4 and 9.5, vanilla 9.5.5 and more. It only wants to work with 9.22 modbin.

Some of the commands you mentioned like "use sysctl -a", I am not sure I understand them all, but I'll try, are they commands I should enter at start up (f8)?

Hi no - its not like kernel frags at boot time. sysctl -a command is used after booting up to desktop.

1. Start the Terminal - its in the Dock (looks like black screen with > )

2. you see an TerminalWindow in which you can type in commands (UNIX commands) and get the results (in text)

3. sysctl -a (type that in and press ENTER on keyboard = command will be processed)

4. a longer text output is shown, you can scroll up/ down and look for the hw... 64 values i posted

In Terminal you can use a lot of UNIX commands , used by OSX86 users. Perhaps you seen such chown -R .... , or other commands. That all are used in that Terminal. You can learn those commands easy by googling and Linux/UNIX web pages. Near all commands are the same in OS X.

Start loading the kexts, and in the place where it suppose to start GUI - bam! Just reboot the machine :-( CPU: 900МГц Intel Celeron M ULV 353 (Dothan)

* Socket: Socket 479 mPGA

* technology: 90nm

* FSB: 100MHz x 4 = 400MHz

* Multiplier: 9

* Instructions set: MMX, SSE, SSE2

* Cache L1: 64Kb

* Cache L2: 512Kb

* Power: 0.94V

* TDP: 5.5W

Hi no - its not like kernel frags at boot time. sysctl -a command is used after booting up to desktop.

1. Start the Terminal - its in the Dock (looks like black screen with > )

2. you see an TerminalWindow in which you can type in commands (UNIX commands) and get the results (in text)

3. sysctl -a (type that in and press ENTER on keyboard = command will be processed)

4. a longer text output is shown, you can scroll up/ down and look for the hw... 64 values i posted

In Terminal you can use a lot of UNIX commands , used by OSX86 users. Perhaps you seen such chown -R .... , or other commands. That all are used in that Terminal. You can learn those commands easy by googling and Linux/UNIX web pages. Near all commands are the same in OS X.

Hi mitch,

Thanx for the explaination, I tried the above and this is the results I got from Terminal:

Voodoo 9.5 beta1 Kernel:

hw.cpu64bit_capable: 0

hw.optional.x86_64: 0

9.22 SSE2/SSE3 Kernel:

I get the same result with vanilla AppleSMBIOS, System.kext and Chu-Nan's AppleSMBIOSEFI. I'll try the other tests later.

System:

Asus P5Q Pro

Q9550

attachment: 20KB

Voodoo 9.5 Beta 1 Terminal sysctl -a result

I also failed to run BetterZip, with an error about unsupported architecture.

i1fd6o.png

@mercurysquad

Sorry I haven't had chance to test the beta xnu on my phenom yet. I will hopefully find time tomorrow. I'm having some issues with my HD3650 that need ironing out before testing the new kernel. I need to get the system 100% stable (well as near as you can on a nForce board) before testing a beta xnu. Its not good tying to find bugs in the kernel when the system is inherently buggy.

Quick question: Is there a list of kernel flags excepted by the beta xnu? In particular is there a way to force disable 64bit, you can use -legacy with the vanilla xnu. Does the legacy flag affect the voodoo beta?

Will send log when I get back home but - voodoo beta 1, AppleSMBIOS.kext, nan's SMBIOSEFI.kext, vanilla 10.5.5 system.kext - on an Acer 4720z laptop, Intel dual core T2330, X3100, GL960 - Time&Date clock, the seconds hand is moving too quickly; time corrects itself on subsequent boot (no online connection) but problem remains. Video/sound is running too fast, noticeably speeded up but not choppy or stuttering. Seems fast and stable, otherwise.

Should I be booting with busratio with the beta, also?

Re: google Issue #18

I had reported that there was a problem using the Munky e.t.al, EFI boot partition and a kextcache with my vanilla install. the mkext file was reported to have a bad checksum and then the IntelCPUPower kext would cause a panic because the disabler kext had not been loaded. replacing the mkext file with an actual Extensions folder would bypass the problem.

I have since rebooted the system several times using the -f flag. Just today, I removed some of the override kext from the efi-boot partition and rebuilt the kextcache. Like magic, the problem has disappeared. The system now boots correctly using the beta-1 kernel. No panic and no -f kernel flag.

I reported this to the Google Issues thread for issue # 18 along with some related doc. Just thought you all should know.

Quick question: Is there a list of kernel flags excepted by the beta xnu? In particular is there a way to force disable 64bit, you can use -legacy with the vanilla xnu. Does the legacy flag affect the voodoo beta?

Yes -legacy works in voodoo. Other AMD specific flags are mentioned in the included PDF.

Should I be booting with busratio with the beta, also?

That's weird, it shouldn't happen with most Intel processors. I'll be waiting for your logs, and might need to have you do some additional log collection or testing if you're willing to help.

Re: google Issue #18

Just today, I removed some of the override kext from the efi-boot partition and rebuilt the kextcache. Like magic, the problem has disappeared. The system now boots correctly using the beta-1 kernel. No panic and no -f kernel flag.

I reported this to the Google Issues thread for issue # 18 along with some related doc. Just thought you all should know.

Thanks a lot, I'll go look up the update. We had been discussing this issue and trying to track down the problem all evening.

Some additional testing - just an experiment.

I started FireFox, Thunderbird, iTunes - playing songs, Parallels - running WinXP, and Transmission - running a multi GB download.

There was no skipping or other noticeable distortion in the audio - even when I was using a browser on WinXP.

Next, I tried sleep while all this was running. The system powered down. I have some external FireWire drives that will auto power off if the system powers off. They powered down.

I don't know how to use the keyboard to awake from sleep, so I use the power button. When I pressed the power button, the system restarted and everything worked. Parallels still had a running WinXP session. Transmission resumed the download. I can't remember, but I think I had to press the play button to get the audio running again.

I was *very* impressed.

Update: These are the only kext overrides I am using now for a vanilla install on a P4 system.

drw-r--r--  3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 00:03 AppleACPIPlatform.kext
drw-r--r--  3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 00:03 AppleDecrypt.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 00:03 ApplePS2Controller.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 00:03 AppleSMBIOS.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 00:03 Disabler.kext
drw-r--r--  3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 00:03 IOATAFamily.kext

Hi there. Might be a day or so delay on that. I'm reinstalling. I have had so many boot up problems with that laptop, often requiring five or six boot up attempts to get to the desktop. com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform...

My Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

2 GB Ram 667Mhz DDR2, but my profile displays 333Mhz DRAM, don't know why.

Leo 10.5.2 from Leo4Allv3

nForce (i think the 4 series)

AM2 (940) socket

SATA Hard Drive and DVD-Rom

ATI Sapphire X1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 (using Modbin's driver modified by dionosys for my device ID)

D-Link 530TX+ Ethernet Network Card (got the drivers from D-Link website)

Voodoo 9.5.0 beta 1 kernel ofcourse

Test 1 Sleep/Resume Passed: [_] Yes [X] No [_] With issues

I don't know how to wake up my computer from the keyboard, so I put my computer to sleep and pressed the power button to wake up the computer, but the computer didn't wake up and i had to restart the computer.

Test 2 Shutdown Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

No problems here.

Test 3 Audio/Video performance Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Used iTunes, VLC, Quicktime and others, no problem with audio or video.

Test 4 eXecute Disable bit Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

This test worked as it was described.

accurately reflect XD support in your CPU? [X] Yes [_] No

Above test gave me 1 and i changed it to 0 and saved, second time i ran the test, it came out to be 0. So this test passed without any problems.

Test 5 TSC stability Passed: [_] Yes [X] No [_] With issues

I don't know what this test does, but I followed the procedure and it said "connection timed out" after about 90-100 seconds.

Additional Note:- I always had firefox crashes, but after installing this kernel, never had any crashes. I launched the whole adobe suite and iLife suite along with other applications such as firefox and transmission and left my computer on for about 14 hours. I didn't experience any crash or slow down or any other graphical glitch. I did have a microsoft word freeze, but that's not a big issue for me.

One thing I should have added.

Watching the same movie on both Quicktime and VLC, though the movie was running slightly fast on QT, it was running almost as in fast forward with vlc player as was sound. I almost always use VLC. That was the same on both of my partitions on that laptop. One install was Leo4all, the other was Kalyway. Both were updated with mysticus C*s updater, then voodoo_beta 1 and the advised associated kexts files. Both had the speedstep kext/app, though I noticed the clock was ticking away at rapid speed before installing those. Sorry this is from memory and not desperately helpful. One partition was a clean install, the other I had installed with speedstep kernel 9.2.0 and speedstep package, with no AV anomalies.

i Have to tell you guys...

This is the best kernel ever made for an AMD system i have ever used....

I never... and i really mean it.... never used such a stable kernel on an OSX distro before.... keep up the good work!

A small stress test:

Picture1-4.png

Never this baby crashed or had a break in performance! WOOW

Im using it straight with 10.5.5 from iDeneB on a AMD Athlon64 x2 4600+

Here are my Procedure 4 Test results:

bootflags: -v busratio=0

http://i35.tinypic.com/fmt8qt.jpg

bootflags: -v busratio=8.5

http://i37.tinypic.com/2akldau.jpg

bootflags: -v busratio=471

http://i34.tinypic.com/2m3r5uq.png

The results seems to be the same. I was abit confused with the second part of the test which says "-v busratio=XY, replacing XY with your CPU clock multiplier". My CPU multiplier is 8.5 and FSB is 471, I tried both.